Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Does anyone have some interesting recommendations for like, non-Japanese toku? I know that China and Korea have some, I think Indonesia as well. Are any of them good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Have you seen the film Inframan?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Junpei posted:

Does anyone have some interesting recommendations for like, non-Japanese toku? I know that China and Korea have some, I think Indonesia as well. Are any of them good?
China's Armor Heroes series is notable enough to be in the OP, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything about quality. I can't say much one way or the other, myself.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Junpei posted:

I think the first few seasons of Supernatural are watchable. That's american Toku.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Junpei posted:

Bima Sitra Garuda is pretty fantastic and has been recently subbed with as best quality raws as we can probably expect to get. It's Indonesian but made with some help from Bandai, so it's still a step in the familiar. The second series is also subbed, though the raws are...not the best.

Armor Hero is fine, if a bit dry, though I'm not sure how easy it is to find these days. After that things get a bit less...easy to track.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
I liked Legend Heroes Samgugjeon. The regular action was great, though admittedly the mecha and the general endgame plot was... not as much. But the entire season is officially free on YouTube with multiple language subtitles of... passable quality!
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8lZeURETyi1ITXZX1_x35-TTNnMRCZwn

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

House MD also a good american toku.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I think the first few seasons of Supernatural are watchable. That's american Toku.
Well, if you're gonna recommend Supernatural as American toku, you gotta mention Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the X-Files.

...does Doctor Who count as tokusatsu?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

girl dick energy posted:

Well, if you're gonna recommend Supernatural as American toku, you gotta mention Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the X-Files.

...does Doctor Who count as tokusatsu?

In the sense that tokusatsu basically means “special effects”, technically yes

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I’m sure you could draw a decent number of parallels between Doctor Who and Kamen Rider, if you looked.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eak26ohx1Y8

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

I would. I'd also recommend the first two seasons of The Flash. Not that the rest is bad, I just haven't seen them. That's american Toku.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also 70s Kamen Rider and 70s Doctor Who (and 80s) look VERY similar.

The Japanese Doctor Who video is a parody, but it's really not that far off. They're pretty 1 to 1 in terms of production values a lot of the time.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

My ultimate point is that that first part of Supernatural before the show runner quit is the best version of Kamen Rider Kiva.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

My ultimate point is that that first part of Supernatural before the show runner quit is the best version of Kamen Rider Kiva.

Do you mean the first five seasons or a different thing

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

Also 70s Kamen Rider and 70s Doctor Who (and 80s) look VERY similar.

The Japanese Doctor Who video is a parody, but it's really not that far off. They're pretty 1 to 1 in terms of production values a lot of the time.

Come to think of it, did Doctor Who ever even air in Japan? If someone made a fake video then obviously there must be some sort of fanbase over there at least.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 8, 2022

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Burkion posted:

Do you mean the first five seasons or a different thing

Yeah that chunk where the show clearly ends.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah that chunk where the show clearly ends.

Good, we are aligned.

By sheer happenstance after season 5 is when I was cut off from regular TV so I have pretty much nothing but positive memories of Supernatural and how it ended!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I had forgotten that Ultraman Trigger was still on. Wrapping it up next week. Probably the most completely underwhelming Ultra series since the original Ginga, and even Ginga had better character development.

Great miniature work as usual though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I had forgotten that Ultraman Trigger was still on. Wrapping it up next week. Probably the most completely underwhelming Ultra series since the original Ginga, and even Ginga had better character development.

Great miniature work as usual though.

Week after next

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Skipping a week or stretching it so thin you can see through it?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Skipping a week or stretching it so thin you can see through it?

Honestly the opposite. Its condensing so much down that it's ridiculous. The finale is going to be set over 24 and 25 and that is about the only thing that feels like it might be paced right, but the rest is a wash.

This is a show that I genuinely think if it had 50 episodes, a lot of its structural problems would be fixed. This last episode, 23, felt like a three parter that they crammed into a single episode- including what was clearly the ending of the first part happening at the ten minute mark.

So much of what this show needed was time. Time to flesh out the characters, time to establish the world, time to establish the villains- it got none of that. I'm shocked the finale ISN'T going to be a one and done affair at this point.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

50-year-old science fiction series that gets cancelled in the late 80s-early 90s. After some TV movies and multimedia efforts in the mid-90s, it returns in the early 2000s as a family horror-action series inspired by contemporary soap operas. After one year, the serious actor hired to head up the revival bails on the production and never returns, expressing a distaste for the genre and production environment.

Also Momotaros is the dub voice of the 10th Doctor in Japan.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Burkion posted:

Good, we are aligned.

By sheer happenstance after season 5 is when I was cut off from regular TV so I have pretty much nothing but positive memories of Supernatural and how it ended!

Just two dudes rolling around fighting frankensteins and draculas and angels and demons all while having big melodrama about their Daddy Issues.

Look I'm just saying we're one plastic belt from it being a rider show. Or a magic sword from being a GARO season.

Castiel is the belt voice.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Just two dudes rolling around fighting frankensteins and draculas and angels and demons all while having big melodrama about their Daddy Issues.

Look I'm just saying we're one plastic belt from it being a rider show. Or a magic sword from being a GARO season.

Castiel is the belt voice.

Heck both shows have even had a goofy crossover with a beloved long lasting comedy cartoon/anime*

*Kamen Rider having had several with Crayon Shin Chan, and Supernatural having had one with Scooby-Doo a couple years ago

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Burkion posted:

Honestly the opposite. Its condensing so much down that it's ridiculous. The finale is going to be set over 24 and 25 and that is about the only thing that feels like it might be paced right, but the rest is a wash.

Agreed that Trigger definitely suffers from the opposite of decompression. Funny how Geed was only 26 episodes but managed to feel complete, pacing in Trigger is totally off by comparison. It's a crime IMHO that Cosmos got 65 episodes and 3 movies, I'd rather Geed or Orb have gotten 65 episodes.

quote:

This is a show that I genuinely think if it had 50 episodes, a lot of its structural problems would be fixed. This last episode, 23, felt like a three parter that they crammed into a single episode- including what was clearly the ending of the first part happening at the ten minute mark.

Yeah, maybe if we'd gotten some more episodes focusing on single characters instead of continuously playing up science nerd, hero nerd, and reincarnated girl over and over with no personal development.. bleah. We never even got to see them eat at their favorite ramen restaurant.

The potential was there for Hyudora, Darrgon, and Cameara to be more than two dimensional baddies, especially with the Darrgon subplot of being in love with Yuna. But, noooooooooo...

Hate to say it, but even the Trigger movie, Episode Z, only has appeal to me as the Ultraman Z movie we never got.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The best part of Ultra shows is that they're short. I wouldn't want more Trigger, or Orb or Geed.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

The best part of Ultra shows is that they're short. I wouldn't want more Trigger, or Orb or Geed.

I'd personally want the rest of the Orb saga but to each their own.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The Orb Saga is cool. Orb Origin was cool. But a bloated version of the Orb show we did get? Nah. And that's what we would have gotten at 50 or 65 episodes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

The Orb Saga is cool. Orb Origin was cool. But a bloated version of the Orb show we did get? Nah. And that's what we would have gotten at 50 or 65 episodes.

You say that but you don't know it for certain. True, it can't be said that a longer version of Orb would have been better either- Orb was made to be what it was. If they went into it planning to make a longer series, they wouldn't have done the same thing but with more bloat. At least, in theory.

I think Orb and Geed would have benefited from 39 episodes each, which is a happy medium Ultraman used to meet. Not too much more time, but enough to let certain things play out a little better than they do, especially for Geed.

Trigger on the flip side is emulating the older series- Tiga in particular. And Tiga was a big beefy boy of 52 episodes- and it earns that episode count. It doesn't have a strong plot, most of it is subtext building up the greater cosmic horror of the finale, but the reason people love Tiga is because of the characters and how likable they were.

Trigger's problems lay exactly within those very things. It really should have been 50~ episodes and it doesn't take an expert to see why. Everything goes too fast, nothing has time to breathe, nothing has time for set up, none of the side characters get any play. It has too much going on and not enough time to do it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

DoctorWhat posted:

IMO, you're wrong where Orb is concerned, I don't feel we got enough of him and a lot of its plots could have standed expansion, I would have been much happier even with just 39-40 episodes. More episodes means they might have even set up R/B's main villain, Cerveza properly, or got us more Juggler backstory.

Geed could have stood to have had about ten more episodes than it did, also to set up more villain backstory.

Trigger should have ended around the second forced recap episode. Bleah!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay I just started Garuda, and while I'm going to keep quiet on the plot until a bit later the subs are like bugging me, because in some places they seem perfectly fine and I can get lulled into enjoying the show, but then there'll be a word that should be a plural, or a forgotten 'with' or something like that and it just takes me out of it

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
This snazzy Ultraman shirt is in The Yetee's AGDQ2022 collection for some reason! 5$ from every purchase goes to Prevent Cancer Foundation, so that's neat.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/KRSentai/status/1479987243804680203?s=20

Here comes the boy

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay I'm up to about episode 5 of Bima and... I can't say I'm not invested or interested. I feel like I keep noticing flaws, but then the flaws have upsides: they only have one real battle theme, but it's a good one. They definitely don't have much of a special effects budget and most of it's used on the floating pirate ship, but that means they have to really focus on the martial arts choreography, which is solid. The plot is definitely... slight, but the characters are engaging and it does look like they're going to at least try to have some forward momentum, even if Ray is currently Not Wanting To Talk About His Traumatic Past, and Mikhail really likes to dodge questions. The subs started out a little dire but I feel like they're improving slightly over time.

Really the most confusing thing is mostly 'why do the monsters absorb terrible people? it doesn't seem to boost their power in any way, and they don't pull any sort of hostage situation with them, so it seems kind of pointless.'

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DonMomotaro seems fun, any idea who his actor is?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Larryb posted:

The official blog for the episode says "Don't ask! It's a secret!"

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
In a stunning and bold decision, alongside writing the show, Toshiki Inoue shall also be the face actor of DonMomotaro.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Larryb posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

The official blog for the episode says "Don't ask! It's a secret!"

Gotcha, I assume he’s uncredited in the episode itself as well then