Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Did we ever get one for Burakawani?

If there is one, it should just be the belt Burakawani jingle with the Ra held for a full three minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also this week's Kyuranger, holy moly. Our team proves to be incredibly idiotic, why would you believe the villain telling you you need to really hurt your brainwashed friend?! You're in a Sentai, everything's fixed by really hurting the enemy! Still, I felt super sad for Balance the whole way through, especially when he took his own attack as an act of friendship.

I also care far more about this plot than whatever happened in the past so I'm not happy next ep will focus on that again. I couldn't care less about Tsurugi or his history, while I don't think I could care more about Balance and Naga. They're the best part of this show.

Agreed, mostly. I really liked the episode overall. It may have been dumb of Balance to believe that hurting Naga was the solution, but it got us that wonderful "share the pain" scene. Balance and Naga truly are the best pair in the show.

I like just about everyone though, even if they're not particularly deep spending a few minutes with them every week always cheers me up. I'm definitely more invested in Dark Naga than the past Don Armage, but the ancient broken ship was a cool visual and I am both interested in seeing where it goes and glad that they aren't introducing and resolving the Dark Naga plot in two episodes like I was kind of worried they were. Having to do more than defeat the bad guy to fix Naga is refreshing compared to the breakneak pace up to this point.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Come to think of it, between Wizard, Gaim, and Ghost we have a lot of recent shows with a really short lived but cooler Mid-Season Power-Up. All-Dragon+Multi-Wizards, Kachidoki, and Grateful were all better (imo) than the final forms and they got thrown away pretty soon after their introduction if I recall correctly. Also their final forms were all really white and shiny too... Weird theme. Ex-Aid also had a shiny final form, but it was cooler than its mid-season Maximum, while Drive's Tridoron final form wasn't shiny but it was also cooler than it's mid-season Formula.

Looking forward to seeing what happens with Build! Not the biggest fan of Rabbit Tank Sparking yet, but we've only seen one image of it so far, but Build's strong designs overall has me hopeful for a good final.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

I'm still disappointed we never got to see Fang used with any of Shotaro's Memories besides Joker

Absolutely. I guess it makes sense for Trigger since a Gun wouldn't add much to a Dinosaur, but FangMetal would've been rad.

Same with CycloneJoker Extreme, honestly. It would've been expensive to make all those suit parts I guess, but I would've loved a HeatMetal or LunaTrigger Extreme.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Elfgames posted:

Hell we actually saw Naruto give in in the same way with Wizard and it was framed as a very bad thing.

Never giving up hope is his Wizard way. Believe it!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

In his defense, it is sometimes Nao Nagasawa's legs.

I haven't noticed that myself, but that's probably due to being a younger dude at the time. Given some of the stuff he's directed though, it doesn't surprise me to hear it's a running theme.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

gourdcaptain posted:

It also bothers me somewhat more than usual because the characters are underaged in Fourze, adding a new layer of creepy to it.

Also can't look at Yuki the same way with some of her more unhinged expressions ever since I found out her actress quit acting for a while to join a cult.

That's totally fair, it's definitely weirder when it's school-age characters rather than adults. As for Yuki, didn't she recently return to acting under a different name or something? Not that that makes it any less troubling that it happened in the first place. Poor Yuki, she was such a highlight of that show, and it was a show full of highlights.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

TenCentFang posted:

Well, that would explain the last four Sentai.

Kyuranger, Zyuohger, ToQger, and Kyoryuger are/were all good to great though.

The series taking an off year in 2015-16 was a strange move, sure, but I'm not getting fired up enough to call it attempted murder.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

TenCentFang posted:

Hey hey, I like Kyoryuger a lot. Kyoryuger is good. Kyoryuger is outside my previous statement.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you didn't like Kyoryuger, I just had to include it to make my 'forget about Ninninger' joke. As if anybody is at risk of fondly remembering Ninninger.

As for Kyuranger, while I find it very enjoyable and look forward to watching it every week, I think the cast is too big and not balanced well enough to be as good as some of the previous shows unless they really nail the second half. Plus the plot doesn't have a solid hook yet, I'm invested in Balance and Naga but Don Armage as a passive and faceless big bad doesn't inspire much compared to front and center, active villains like Schwartz->Z or Genis.

I think Zyuohger was genuinely good though, but that's probably moreso because I loved the main cast and some of the villains than because of any pinpointable moments of quality writing. The 'connection' theme was done well throughout though and was worth all the build-up for that fantastic moment when Yamato puts it all together that his dad wasn't there for his dying mother because he was taking care of Bud/Bard who in turn was able to save his life later.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

I watch with someone else, and after that scene with the vacuum remarked, "there is nothing I cannot punch."

I'm okay with dead girlfriends if there's enough emotional weight to make me miss the girlfriend. Ex-Aid shipped out the dead girlfriend first and then patched in the emotional sadness later, but this felt unnecessary for now given that so much of the cast is made of human experiments.

Agreed, it (like a lot of these first two episodes) just happened way too fast. If these two episodes had been four it would've been given them both more time to breath and develop. I think the scene where Sento did his sick physics jump and it cut to the next scene right as he punched the CG mech without showing any landing or pose or explosion really hammered home how fast everything is moving.

I'm still enjoying it a lot though, all I want from this show now is ridiculous BEST MATCHes and full episodes of Misora's sassy face.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I accept the already discussed issues raised regarding this week's Kyuranger, but the greater implications/concerns with the writing aside, that was a really loving cool episode!

The Saikou Kyutama, bulky silly looking thing that it is, has the greatest call-out. What's Up?!

Unlimited KyuWeapon Works, the Aizawa/Master Asia scarf-work, and the All The Lights In The Sky Are Kicking Your rear end finisher all made Orion's introduction fight cool as poo poo. I look forward to seeing how they split the team up or keep the power away from Lucky in order to explain how he doesn't just wreck everyone's poo poo immediately.

Champ continues to be a bro-bull, and Stinger's relationship with him is hecka cute. No idea how Shou is getting back, but it would've been cool if Champ did it on his own since he's a dang robot and pulled a Crono Trigger-Robo moment in the future.

Finally, I just noticed the full extent of the Okyu OK-plus-salute and gosh that is such a ridiculous but great gesture. Kyuranger may not be the deepest Sentai, but it is a pleasure to watch every week.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Can't wait to hang that big poster of two beautiful boys on my wall.

Between that and the next issue of the manga (which should have the long-awaited henshin) I am so very happy with this reboot.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

OZC posted:

Considering we thought that at the end of Chapter 1 and 3 and they didn't give us one in Chapters 2 and 4, at this point, I'm not convinced that Chapter 5 will see Double show up yet either.

Between the awesome cover and the double length chapter, I have very little doubt.

I mean, we saw Shotaro pulling the driver out of his coat at the end of chapter 4, he swore to protect the client dude, and they're literally facing off against the Dopant form of the enemy now. There's (almost) no way they can bloat the next chapter enough to not give us a Henshin at all. Heck, I'm fully expecting the Henshin and up to the finisher in all honesty. I believe in Riku Sanjo.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Elfgames posted:

that was the end of chap 3 chap4 is Shotaro throwing his driver down and saying he doesn't need phillip's help

gently caress me, it seems I missed a chapter. Well that does me a hecking concern.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also I love these dorks. They seem to be having so much fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rvdX7UGsEI
They are such cute dorks, and while Dan Kuroto DEUS gives the best performance, Kiriya and Emu can pull off some cool poo poo on stage. I can't wait to see these guys again, the V-Cinemas and Heisei Generations FINAL seem so far away.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I hate how long it takes movies to come out, I want you guys to see that drat movie. (I also want to watch it subbed.)

Is there a documented reason for why Japanese DVDs come out half a year after the movie? Half a year at the earliest, I think Your Name took just under/over a full year from theatrical release to DVD but that's also because it spent most of that year running in theatres because it was an unstoppable juggernaut.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

TenCentFang posted:

Stop making me want to watch Build! I have too much to watch as it is! :argh:
Watch Build with us! :D It's only four episodes in, once you're caught up it's just 25 minutes a week and you get to read all these fun spoiler posts.

I may be in the minority though as I enjoy watching things week to week rather than binge watching, since I can easily carve a chunk of time each week for one episode of one show. Binging requires forcing my indecisive self to decide what to do today between playing one of the twenty games I haven't started yet, continuing through one I'm already playing, watching a show/movie that I know is good but just haven't gotten around to, doing something productive like cleaning, ect ect...

Waffleman_ posted:

I also like how there's not really a comedy relief character or any goofy comedy character gimmicks, the humor just comes from how the characters interact.

Thank god for that, characters that can be funny are so much better than characters that are supposed to be funny. Ex-Aid had the Director but he had limited presence and could be a serious Good Dad sometimes. When shows force in comic relief, it tends to be either embarassingly bad (Wizard - Shunpei), or entertaining but resulting in a character that doesn't get to develop at all beyond that role (Ghost - Onari.) I suppose Otta in Drive bucked that by developing and being entertaining, but that is because Drive was good.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

She's using the Hercules(?) Kyutama to beef up and turn the heck out of a valve. The 'power' was represented as her body inflating so theres a split second shot of that as it moves from her middle to her arms. Thankfully it's only on screen briefly, but nonetheless they knew what they were doing.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Eponymous posted:

Does Blood Stalk have some kind of double meaning similar to Night Rogue > Nitro that I'm missing?

It would be Buradosutooku in kana, the only thing I can see would be dosu->Dose for the gassings maybe?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Oh no, he came from America.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Wish they could have gotten at least just Shotaro back ala Super Hero Taisen Z, but I am still over the moon about seeing Gentaro and Eiji/Ankh again. December is now too far away.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Please don't kill Sentai, Pokemon and One Piece. It may not be the most mature or the highest form of entertainment but it is a reliable source of happiness each week that I would like to continue enjoying.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

Counterpoint: do kill One Piece. Then restart it but with actual effort put into it and without stretching things out to such ridiculous extents.

I knew that comma would get me. I was asking One Piece and Pokemon to not kill Super Sentai. One Piece is my favorite manga but I have no love for the tortured shell that continues to masquerade as its anime long after it died due to its awful pacing.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

Are you complaining that I'm not using spoiler tags? Because it's an old season. I'd do differently for Build.

I think it's less spoilers and more things like "games seized by the government" and "President BurgerDad" are absurd to read without context so it's funny.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Burkion posted:

I thought the change over wasn't going to happen until later

The time slot change occured on October 1st.

Sentai Clock is dead, long live Sentai Clock.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I have been trying to avoid watching Terrace House because I dislike reality TV as a rule but between its reported mentions of Oda/One Piece and now the presence of God, I may break down and watch it. It does help that it's supposed to actually be good.

Also seconding the strength of Build's comedy. It has its over the top moments but the subtler stuff is just so good.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Motto posted:

they modded(?) the build belt to take the W USB drives and return the sounds for the W fullbottle set

Apparently they remodeled the Memories themselves to have Full Bottle parts on the back. That's what they said in the comments anyway.

I wonder if we'll see the actual Rider Bottles debut in the next movie.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Man it's so weird to think about early ExAid reactions compared to where we're at now. I don't think anyone expected it to be Very Good, let alone So Good that we want other people to watch it and tell us about it. I love ExAid.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

What're the odds of Ex-Aid giving Build a poo poo ton of Multiply power ups so he can become all the non-present Riders ala All The Forms via GataKiriBa OOO?

Also while just "becoming the rider" is a little lame, it is probably better than attempting New Forms based on each rider since they usually look like garbage. Some of Ghost's were alright.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

:perfect: I can't believe this joke hasn't been made before in my recent memory.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Why does the Lion Bottle let him shoot Hadoukens?

Cats fear vacuums, unaware that their true potential can only be unlocked by fusing with one.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

PMush Perfect posted:

Kiriko? Kimiko? The girl who should've been the secondary rider.

Kiriko, yep. And agreed, Gou just kind of spun his wheels (lol) for a lot of the series so giving his plot over to Kiriko would've been great. Though she would've had to inherit the hating-roidmude aspect too to make the final VS Banno scene work and that would've complicated the whole Chase crush thing a bit. I trust Sanjo could've made it good though.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I guess the official lyrics for Be The One came out, since OT's lyrics changed? I never listen too closely but it's funny how I had no issues with them before, but now that they're updated I hear the new lyrics clearly. Though I imagine if they changed again it'd have the same effect, I do not have good ears.

Re: Ep 9- Who the heck was Katsuragi's Build promo video for? It's one thing if he was using that to pitch his experiments, but he sent it to be hidden with his mom so...? At least the shared "See you!" quirk all but confirms the body swap theories.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Is Vortex on actual Build magazine/promo materials? It bothers me since, as far as I can hear, there's no 'cks' on the end of the call-out. It sounds like boruteku - Voltic/Voltech, not borutekkusu - Vortex. They could be intentionally leaving the last part out to make it easier/shorter to say, but that is annoying.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ignis posted:

From Build's Detail of Heroes magazine

p.s stardrago :argh:

Yep, that's what I figured. Thanks for the confirmation. It's Vortex, but they explicitly spell the call-out as "voltek/borutekku" so there was no reason to ever guess it was that prior to the magazines. At least it's only one kana off instead of two like I thought. Japanese English!! :argh:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah, the stirring makes sense enough, heck Vortex being a cool word makes sense enough for KR ("Maximum Drive" indeed), I'm just bothered since it isn't written or pronounced how Vortex should be.

Blood Stalk is weird since it's just two unconnected words together, but given that they're almost the same word in Japanese it was a 50/50 shot from the beginning. Although Stark and the Stalk in Stalker are pronounced differently in Japanese so I would have gone with Blood Stark at first too.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

The worst example of these is one that hasn't even appeared in the series yet. クローズ, people originally thought it was "Close", but since he's dragon-themed, the fan romanization became "Claws". And then it was revealed to be...Cross-Z, which is basically nonsense.

Talking about that, we have evidence of said Rider in-game in Ganbarizing! In full spoiler-protection mode, he has no lines, not even from his belt, and his moves are completely generic punches and kicks. Sticking to that, I'll just link to it instead of embedding it. There's also footage of the Legend Rider forms but they just reuse models and animations from the actual Riders with badly-inserted Sento lines on top of them.

I'd forgotten to complain about that one. Someone needs to tell these guys that you can't select existing English words and then pronounce them however you want. Stylizing (OOO - Ouzu, 555/Phi - > Faiz) is one thing, but these two (and in particularly the spoilered one because jesus that is not how you pronounce that in either language) are just flagrantly disregarding their own word choices. >:[

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Also the theme generally seems to be animals and technology except when it's not, like NinjaComic.

I swear I can't keep track of Build's themes.

Rabbit! Tank! Hagane no Moonsault! RabbitTank!
Gorilla! Diamond! Kagayaki no Destroyer! GorillaMond!

Okay, got it, English names and Forms followed by a half Japanese half English call out. I can get behind that!

Taka! Gatling! HawkGatling!

Okay, maybe the bottles are in Japanese sometimes but the forms are still English, how about that half and half call out-

TENKUU NO ABARENBOU!

Okay I guess I'll go gently caress myself

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Kamen Rider Fuma from the True Ending movie had a great suit. I also really liked the New Ichigo Suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Fantastic, I liked GokaiRed's little "ey what the hell are we doing again" over-the-shoulder in the beginning. I was kinda hoping he'd be the only one to keep up the pelvic thrust OG dance.