Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Maybe it's just because I started with it, but having watched every show since W and a good number before it, I still think W is the best starting point for watching Kamen Rider.

E: Also, is Ex-Aid actually a good starting point for Kamen Rider? I feel like it's not very representative of what you should expect out of Kamen Rider at all, particularly how cartoony it is. As far as more recent shows go, I'd probably recommend Build or Drive first.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Fourze having a driver that had a robot voice talking was one of the things that really drew me into the series early on. I love that stupid belt.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Elfgames posted:

Build: The belt's ugly the bottles are dumb the only thing this belt has going for it is "Best match" 1/5

The belt yells "OH NO!" all the time, what are you talking about?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I don't like the idea of calling anything but the final form the Super form. I feel like it would just add confusion.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Fred is on posted:

I've been thinking of it as "First Upgrade", "Mid-Series Upgrade" and "Final Form" myself, though the first isn't a very snappy name, and the second might also be confusing because until somewhat recently final forms were already obtained in the mid-series to begin with.

For me, it's pretty similar. There's the first upgrade, the mid-season upgrade, and then the Super Form for your Extremes, Genius, etc.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I knew the Decade forms for Zi-O would look ridiculous, but I don't think I quite grasped how silly the belt would look with stacked ridewatches.

What a goofy thing. The complementation project was also very good.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Darth TNT posted:

Yeah I'm not digging the decade armor either. It sounds cool, but the armor is very bulky and very busy. And that helmet. The belts symmetry is ruined by using the expansion slot.

Cool special effects though.

The suit itself definitely looks iffy, but I'm willing to withhold judgment a little bit on that. I'm mostly just commenting on how dumb the belt looks.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Fred is on posted:

Zi-O: So, huh, did Sougo obtains the Kuuga, Ryuki and Kiva watches in the movie, or did they just sort of come with the HeiSaber? If so, it's a little disappointing that they're blazing through watch-collecting so fast, because the past show homages weren't all great but they're still a big part of the Zi-O's appeal. He already has all of the post-Decade watches, too, if you count the Drive one that Geiz has and the Double watch that he likely gets in the movie.

I'll admit, I was even looking forward to seeing what they would do as a Kiva homage. It's a bad show, but I watched all of it and it holds a weird, special place in my heart.

As far as I can tell, Sougo doesn't have those watches, he was just using a feature of the sword. Oma Zi-O does have the watches, though, in case that was confusing you?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah I'm old as dirt when it comes to tokusatsu (I watched english subbed Go Ranger on the Japanese channel in San Francisco in '76) and Kamen Rider was seen in snippets by me here and there. Newer Toku shows are a lot more flashy and toy based, but at the same time I know that if a lot of the inexpensive electronics, good plastics, and 3D rendering were available back in the 70s and 80s the shows would have had more toys then as well. I know not all of the shows are going to appease me, but they aren't for me, they are for 6 year old kids in Japan so I take it as it is.

Incidentally, you might want to check out Kamen Rider Amazons at some point. I haven't watched the full series yet, but it's a lot different from standard Rider shows. It's not toyetic at all, which is a breath of fresh air. One warning, though, that show is brutal.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I liked Gaim a lot while I was watching it, but thinking back to that show, I feel like it would have been much stronger if Micchy died somewhere around the halfway point. He was so, so terrible, and he only got worse. I get that a lot of that was intentional, but after a certain point he was so awful that he dragged the entire show down with him.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Xelkelvos posted:

Wizard has some of the best suit and belt aesthetics in KR. The fight scenes were great too. One of the things that I'll keep repeating about it is how it's ultimately a poster child for wasted potential. It's a disappointment of direction despite having the raw elements for a great series.

This is probably going to be a hot take, but the only real problem with Wizard was Koyomi. Unfortunately, the entire show revolved around her in one form or another, so that's kind-of a huge issue.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

That's definitely an impressively hot take. Wizard had a lot of problems. Koyomi was a big one, yeah, since her actress was apparently barely avaliable and she was an important part of the plot, but she wasn't to blame for, say, the villains being completely ineffectual, the main plot twist of the series being blatantly obvious, the sheer irrelevance of all of Haruto's group of "friends", how insanely annoying Shunpei was, Haruto's total lack of personality despite his actor being more than capable of acting (as he's shown whenever he was allowed to, such as in Dr. Pac-Man), how the series had to force Nitou into the weekly plots because it was terrible at actually giving him a role despite being by far the most enjoyable part of this trainwreck...

Koyomi exists as an issue but she's one of the many.

I mean, half of those issues directly tie into how lovely Koyomi was. The entire plot of the show was about her, so of course characters with little or no association with her would be irrelevant.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I finished OOO last night. Thanks for the recommendation; I really enjoyed it.
How did I not know that Amazons is on USA Prime with subtitles? Amazon's curating is worse than Netflix's, and that's saying something.

You'll still need to look to fansub groups for the Amazons movie, by the way.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Speaking of recommending Kamen Rider content and OOO: do not watch the OOO part of the OOO crossover movies, they are very bad. The solo movie's neat, though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah the fact that officially they're not named kamen rider means they are not kamen riders? Like the argument that they are has even less evidence and ultimately it's a distinction that only bares meaning in specific shows (See Build saying the Steam Gun forms have static hazard levels and cannot grow while the rider system explicitly can.) The only argument that they are is "Well if you ignore the shows descriptions they're kind of the same thing and It soothes my brain demons to have them order such."

That comment about the Steam Gun forms having static hazard levels was absolutely a lie.

On another note, it's kinda silly that Build had Kamen Rider Rogue and Kamen Rider Mad Rogue.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I want there to be a third Woz that exists just to support Tsukuyomi, the fourth Rider.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

This makes me so happy. :allears:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Just watched the first episode of Tokusatsu Gagaga, since O-T posted their subs for it. That was really, really good. A bit over the top, but that's also what I come to these kinds of shows for.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Xelkelvos posted:

That he didn't use the proper Ridewatch to defeat the monster is a slight plot hole, but rule of cool I guess.

That's why they went ahead and made it explicit that they couldn't get the Ryuki ridewatch, creating a situation where you need to find a way around the previously established rules.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

mateo360 posted:

Ummm....

(yes I know it's premium bandai and not a standard release but the point stands)

Technically that's the Another Ryuga Ridewatch. :haw:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Two thoughts about Zi-O 21 (well, one is more of a general Zi-O thought): Kamen Rider Kikai is incredible, I like every part of that dude, including (especially?) the part where he makes robot moving noises when he moves. On the other hand, I just don't like White Woz's belt. I'd probably like it better if I didn't find the belt voice grating, but I really strongly dislike that belt.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Should of expected White Woz to be the more evil one but it still came out of left field god drat it

I dunno, they foreshadowed it pretty transparently. I didn't expect White Woz to be directly working with Swartz, but he was obviously up to no good.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Keep in mind, we've seen original riders fight Another Riders before. They don't lose their powers immediately, it takes a bit for them to fade.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Burkion posted:

Have you ever watched Kamen Rider Kuuga?

How adverse to older shows are you? Like, with effects on par (or superior to) OG Star Trek

Kuuga is much cheesier than Amazons. Honestly, if he can't watch Amazons because of the cheesiness surrounding the combat scenes, I think he can't watch Toku at all.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Burkion posted:

I disagree entirely.

Amazon is a lot more fun than Kuuga is. It has a lot more style and energy and is just way more entertaining.

Kuuga's fight scenes are, with few exceptions, incredibly down to earth and largely realistic. The violence is more impactful and the fist fighting isn't fancy at all.

The way they're shot is also very much against the grain for normal Toku

All of this owing to the ultimate message of Kuuga, in that violence is always awful, even if it must be necessary.

I watched Kuuga recently, and while I agree that tonally it's a lot different from modern Rider, it's still really cheesy. The fights aren't as ridiculous as, say, Zi-O, but they're definitely not super grounded, and still really obviously hitting each other with toys most of the time.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

I will never forget how that arc added a female Rider only for her to last like a minute, attack once, accomplish nothing, then get de-powered and never fight again.

God Ghost was awful.

I legitimately forgot that happened. It's hard to say if that's actually worse than how they normally treat their female characters, though. Rider is pretty consistently awful at that.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

For all Minato was horribly handled, at least she's consistently shown as a fighter and gets to transform several times. She has her role, badly handled as it may be. I can't say the same about Alia, who exists to get owned.

The standards for "competent" in Ghost are horribly low and even there Alia fails.

Toy scans in question.

To be clear, I'm talking about female characters in Rider in general, not just women who transform. This is important because there are several female characters who SHOULD transform but don't, which is an issue that you can point straight at the fact that they're women in Rider.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Xelkelvos posted:

Wizard is a tale of wasted potential. It has loads of uncut gems but does nothing to polish them.

Ghost is a tale of a script that should've been killed and turned into something better.

Ghost is a tale of wasted suit design. :colbert:

Xelkelvos posted:

But there's already a copy lady and a scientist lady in Drive.

Or is :thejoke:

Eh, I think it's just that he thinks Akari and Rinko are cool, which I kinda agree with? Rinko is pretty great.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Man, the way you guys talk about Wizard really makes me wonder if you guys saw the same show I did.

GuyUpNorth posted:

Gremlin is one of the few entertaining characters in Wizard next to occasional sass Haruto, Nitou and Phoenix. Everyone else is pretty much bland or so one-dimensional they might as well be cardboard cutouts.

Counterpoint: Rinko is great.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Some Numbers posted:

If only she did anything ever.

Maybe I'm remembering things incorrectly, but I generally recall her doing more than anyone that didn't have a belt. She was really good, and also should have been a Kamen Rider.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Some Numbers posted:

This can be applied to a lot of female characters.

No disagreement there.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Is Trinity the final form for Zi-O

Nah, episode 30 is (slightly) too early for that. There'll probably be another form around episode 36.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Zi-O 31: So Tsukuyomi has had amnesia this whole time and they just never bothered to bring it up. That's an odd choice, curious where they're going with that. Hopefully her Time Jacker reminiscent power leads to a belt instead of just...being able to stop time sometimes.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Darth TNT posted:

Adding my hope to this. In addition, Yuuto was one of my favorite parts of Den-O.

Yes, the timing is a bit weird but it has left me very intrigued.
It also calls the Time Jackers status even further into question. Was Sougo supposed to be a time jacker as well?

Oma Zio pointed out that he didn't have the DenO ridewatch yet though.

So 32 cleared things up a little bit. Apparently, Uhr and Hora were given their powers by Schwarz. Tsukuyomi was not. No explanation beyond that, though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Geostomp posted:

So does this mean that Schwarz is being built up as the final boss for this series? I guess he does fit the bill: shows up early, does very little for a long time, smugly self-assured, and revealed to be behind the powers of the other biggest threat.

Hard to say. Don't forget that he was instrumental in setting up the accident that killed Sougo's parents and basically induced Sougo's obsession with becoming a king.

I wonder, though, if he created Oma Zi-O, wasn't happy with the results, and is trying to do something else this time around.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Geostomp posted:

I mean, we still have no idea what exactly the Time Jackers' motivations are and know even less about how their powers work. All we know is that they are fully capable of becoming Another Riders on their own, but determined to force other people to do it for them. As far as we can tell, Schwarz still wants Oma Zi-O, but needs to change something to make him more controllable or something. Given that Oma is starting to act on his own, I guess we'll get a confrontation between the two before it ends.

I guess the protagonists aren't exactly reliable narrators, but didn't they theorize that the Time Jackers were creating Another Riders so they could create an overlord that they control? This was from very early in the series and things may have changed, too.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Am I misreading you guys or does Zamons actually use powers from the Prime series Amazons, and not the Showa-era show?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Larryb posted:

The former, yes.

Holy poo poo, that's awesome.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Just watched Heisei Generations Forever, that was a good, but very frustrating movie. I really enjoyed the Den-O stuff, it was good to see the other Imagin again; but, man, here you have Another Double, and no actual characters from Double show up. I just wanted to see Shotaro again, Toei. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

Not Toei's fault. They absolutely did want to have W in, but Masaki Suda's schedule was completely filled (and it's likely to remain that way with his current popularity). Apparently Renn Kiriyama was also busy, and you know it must be important considering he's a giant Rider nerd and would've loved to be in.

Yeah, I'm not super surprised about Masaki Suda, but I figured we'd get Renn Kiriyama at least. I get it, but man, what a bummer. :smith: