Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The Ex-Aid recc description should just be this image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

I just find it kind of arbitrary sometimes. I mean, you wouldn't translate Excalibur as "Awesomeblade", would you?

It's not arbitrary as much as it's all juts played by ear because not every thing needs to be considered so closely when it comes to 'Do we translate it directly, localize it so the intent of the phrase or name is intact and as obvious in this language as it is in the original, or just leave it untranslated?' Turns out it's a topic requiring more nuance and deft handedness than just saying 'gently caress it leave all proper nouns the same.' Arbitrary means there's no real thought going behind it which is untrue of most translations.

Of course a good localization can actually improve a show. The Room Of Spirit and Time sounds magical, but in a really vague way that sounds like it could be a generic Zelda temple. The Hyperbolic Time Chamber sounds advanced and magical and explains exactly what the thing is and does right there in its name.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's all anyone should ask, in the end. I just hope I don't sound too unreasonable myself.

I mean it does seems a little unreasonable when you talk about specific names and meanings when you don't get the original joke or reference correct either like Blaze pointed out.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

In general, as far as attack names go, I prefer the approach that if some attacks are in Japanese, and some are in english (example, "Kamehameha" and "Final Flash"), you keep the Japanese ones the same to preserve that kind of duality.

DBZ is a weird case though because there's decades of history at this point and Toei and Bandai seem to want to keep/push a lot of older names like "Special Beam Cannon" for marketing/familiarity reasons even as the dubs have gotten more accurate.

But yes. "King Kai Fist" sounds lame.

Kaioken sounds just as dumb because it's random noises to a non-Japanese speaker and in japanese it's literally just King Kai Fist.

All of Goku and Friends' attack names are loving dumb, that's what makes it funny and cool.

Burkion posted:

Context is also WEIRD with that name, because it's not an actual punch attack, it's a power up technique

If it was just King Of The Universe it'd be a pretty baller name

It's Fist meaning style/technique like Tekken or Fist of the North Star.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

would that not be how "Final Flash" sounds to a kid watching in Japan?

Yeah that's...exactly the point I was making.It all sounds dumb regardless, so why not make it a dumb sounding thing that at least makes sense to the viewers you're translating for.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Ex-Aid doesn't have to be anti authority to be a good time.

Like, even Kuuga did not have a secret society running things as the villain. That was out at the outside of reviving kamen rider, that element was made as something no longer necessary.

Likewise, Gaim has Yggdrasil as an authority and I'd argue DJ Sagura to be a godlike authority as well, and both of Yggdrasil and Helheim are villains at certain points in the series. Just shows that that element doesn't mean you're not going to screw it up.

W is a legal Private Detective who regularly works with the police (even before Terui shows up)and is fighting something that's trying to usurp power and authority from the city and its people. Shotaro's not some outsider working outside the system. Dudes a well known part of his town and has a huge list of friends and allies in the city that grows with basically every case. His entire schtick as a detective is that he knows Fuuto and the people in it better than anyone, and he's here to save them.

Siding against the system isn't really a major theme in most Kamen Riders. Blade ends with a self sacrifice to perpetually extend the system so they don't have to draw it to a conclusion, Den-O deffo doesn't have any of those themes in ti, DECADE HAS NO STORY, W and OOO's don't either. Fourze sets up those running the system/school as the villains but everything about Fourze is about the great things about youth and school life specifically so it's not really about fighting outside the system. Gaim and Drive don't have it and neither did Ex-Aid.

This is some real No True Scotsman argument.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 7, 2017

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Burkion posted:

W would absolutely go against the law, and did so, to uphold justice. That was their job as private detectives.

That's...not what private detectives do and outside of one or two exceptions it's not what Shotaro did by and large. By and Large the detective agency is doing things as they should and working with law enforcement as best they can, especially after Terui joins the cast. Like you're really stretching an example to push a narrative somewhere it doesn't work.

I'm not saying it's not a theme in a lot of shows, but a lot of your examples are really wonky reads that feel like you trying to angle them to fit your thesis and not fitting your thesis based on evidence.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Nah, you're right, IIRC. Goons are mad at kids' shows for no reason. News at 11.

It wasn't a complete dismantling of the system and was victory that in places was bittersweet. Clearly not the Kamen Rider way like beating the enemy but still being forced to wands the earth as a hell machine that can never be human again.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeqwtPFasgA

More Climax Fighters. Looks like a bog-standard arena fighter.

It looks like Dissidia, Kamen Rider edition and that's kind of all I want short of a Platinum Games character action game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

If you told me they were making a musou style Mook murder simulator and I could just punch Masquerade dopants until they explode I would never stop coming

They've done like 6 of those.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Hopefully Ryuuga becomes a rider soon cause boy he's the most classic hero set up in the world.

Also weird note: Night Rogue has no belt.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Rent-a-Bot posted:

I almost want to say it's impossible for Ryuuga not to be the secondary rider. He's got the motivation, the motorcycle, and he's also someone who went through the whole smashification process without turning into a monster. Plus that bit in the op where he's punching goons is begging to be re-cut with him in rider form.

He 100% is unless there's a massive swerve.

The third rider in early promos was using one shaker and it's dragon

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I'm not into the SIC's whole "What if Kamen Rider but literally more edgy?" Like half of OOO's/Eiji's personality is his laid back cheerfulness. It matches well with the shows aesthetic and the Ska & Big Band music blasting over most of the show and the Base suit reflects that lighthearted feel with the bright saturated colors and the unassuming, cheerful face the Tatoba suit has.

The SIC design loses all of that by changing the helmet and eye shape to basically give him the Ol Kirby Angry Eye Brows.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

We're only 3 episodes in and I already love Build's supporting cast. They interact with each other really well and feel more like actual people than say...the KRC in fourze.

Also LOL if you have any problems with Miitan you're just dumb. She's perfect in every way.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 18, 2017

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

mikeycp posted:

TAKE IT BACK

They're fine, I like em, but at some point they kind of just become cartoon characters saying their little phrase and not really interacting with each other outside of like...Goth and Meteor.

I dunno, Ryuuga's reactions and chats with Miitan, Soichi and especially Sawa in the newest episodes feels more lively and believable than the KRC to me, even with as goofy as these people (Who I'm going to go ahead and predict are actually martians) are. Maybe it's just that Sento and Ryuuga have shown a more human range of emotions and interactions compared to someone like Gentarou.

That and it helps that Ryuuga feels equal to Sento as the Main Protagonist character. It's Kagami and Tendou if Tendou was a real character and not a beautiful God Turned ONe Joke Bit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Oh no they had fine overall arcs, I'm more talking about the 'day to day' kind of interactions, like Miitan stepping on Ryuuga on her way to bed or Ryuuga and Soichi's budding friendship/chat while Sento is getting nerdy about his Hawk gun.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

They're gonna be martians. Spoilers.

And Sento being smug is justified since he's been doing this for awhile and builds his own tech and is an actually intelligent hero.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I honestly don't know how Date isn't #1 with a bullet the man is gorgeous.

Hell Mr. Heart was a Kamen Rider for a hot minute, he's also #1 material.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Hey ya'll, Build is loving great.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Rent-a-Bot posted:

The moment I saw cafe man leaving with a bike helmet, I knew that he was going to be a secondary rider.

EDIT: Actually I just realized, did the magazine scans say there would be one or two secondary riders?

Magazine scans Showed Build, Claw (a dragon based rider), adn Night Rogue. Blood Cobra or whoever wasn't in preview scans. No idea what's gonna happen.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Part 1 of Jojo is a fantastic weird Japanese written Victorian Horror story and if you didn't like it you don't deserve any of the rest of JoJo.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Gonna be at least one one relationship between he teams that gets tested before the teams ultimately work together to beat Space Satan.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I could do without Misora's crush deal, but also it makes sense cause who else is she gonna meet in her shut in life?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I'm guessing Grease is a rider from another country and the new monster types are their research into the nebula gas and their color appropriate panels of the pandora's box.

This is gonna end in a war

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

American Toku is a thing and it's one of the biggest things on cable television and has been for like a decade now.

Supernatural and The Arrowverse are our Kamen Riders.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

Build is almost a tribute to Double in many, many ways.

e: the biggest difference is that W enemies were akin to drug addictions and Build were people who were forced into taking drugs.

No the biggest difference is there's comparable very little homo-romantic overtones between our two protags.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I still cant believe Build has kept his bike for this long.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zedd posted:

Danger! Danger! Death Crisis! Genocide. :getin:

It's genocide first!!!!!

Danger! Danger! GENOCIDE! Death Crisis! DANGEROUS ZOMBIE

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zedd posted:

I have failed shin Dan Karuto :(

Deus will have no mercy for you.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Build is SO GOOD!

I know I sound like a broken record but MAN.

Yeah holy poo poo this episode.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The legend rider poo poo is ALWAYS boring and awful and the belt for Build is relatively simple and kind of refreshing after the last few riders.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The crank is good and the music/sound effect that plays while kranking is the best part of the transformation

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The only thing wrong with Gaim is the SMT Neutral ending protag won even though the Chaos Hero was actually right and should have been the savior to usher in a new era of humanity.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Caphi posted:

I don't understand why Stalk kept fighting Rogue if they were just going to agree anyway the moment Stalk explained himself for literally five seconds.

Stalk only did that because he was surrounded. Dudes probably working with some True Faust boss that Rogue isn't privy to

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Stalk only did that because he was surrounded. Dudes probably working with some True Faust boss that Rogue isn't privy to

To expand on this, Rogue seems like a useful idiot to Stalk. He's not respected or kept in the loop of Stalk's plans and he seems to be getting into his endgame goals fairly quickly now. I'm expecting a p. big shake up in Faust's structure soon enough. Does Rogue know about his Aide being in on it? Cause he seemed to be expecting the heart attack which wasn't part of Rogue's plan at all. He just wanted the theft to force his dad into acting.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

What if Utsumi is Kamen Rider Rogue and not Himuro? He obviously has enough of a Hazard Level.

Yeah I don't see Himuro sticking around much longer. He's gotten his endgoal (the PM seat) and is quickly loosing his cool AND control of Faust. His appearance in the Preview makes him seem a lot more unhinged than normal. I wouldn't be shocked if he eats it next ep.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

If he does, it'll be during the reveal of the next villain.

The next villain is [spoilers] the evil corporation and TRUE FAUST, run by Blood Stalk and his boss and the save notIyda who is Kamen Rider Rogue [/spoilers]

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Elfgames posted:

man it's a real dumb complaint but i hate the dumb extra toys from ooos fourze and wizard. candroids and wizards familiars are the worst but burgermeals are pretty bad too. Pseudo memories are almost as bad but they at least get used most of the way through the series I'm really glad that poo poo stopped with gaim.

Gorillacandroid is a friend and powerful ally to Best Rider Birth

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

You aren't done with Go-Busters if you haven't watched Returns. There's nothing afterwards (no real crossover movie with the next Sentai - it's just a dinosaur Sentai meet-up with a Go-Busters cameo) but Returns is an amazing finale anyways and well worth the watch.

Also, I know people were talking about OOO earlier, so here, have OOO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7-wgzRmzfY

God this just reminds me how loving GOOD OOO's OST was. Second best Rider OP IMO right behind NO FEAR, NO PAIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Every day I curse the subbers from backing down on the Warren Statesman translation.

They were right, goddamn cowards!