Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Overall a good first post, but I heavily disagree about Zyuranger being mediocre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Did we ever get one for Burakawani?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

We mortals cannot fix bad taste, but maybe our God, Shin Dan Kuroto, could create a Gashat that fixes it. Pray to the Game Master to fix your bad taste.

Also Ride-Players aren't really Kamen Riders.

Unconnected, goddamn do I love the Go-Busters mecha. I wish we had this level of complexity all the time instead of only in one specific season that ruined itself for Bandai due to being too good for marketing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUJ0VHcpdIg

Personally I feel the opposite and think that Go Busters has some of the worst mecha designs in the last decade or so of the franchise, at least in Toy Form(same with Shikenger and Gokaiger)

Indeed at least when it comes to the Toy versions of the mecha, of the last decade or so I'd say these are the top 5;

1) Boukenger*

2) Nininger**

3) ToQger

4) Kyuranger

5) Goseiger

*I'm kinda cheating by including Boukenger, but it ended in 2007 so good enough for me

**indeed for Shurikenjin there's only really two complaints I have with it's design; the Dog robot might as well not exist for how little it contributes to the robot, and how the arm that the dump truck contributes has nowhere to go on any of the alternate configurations Shurikenjin has besides Drago where it stays on(one of my biggest pet peeves regarding Sentai mecha design is when a combination results in parts having nowhere to go)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

no go on Quiznos posted:

The arm hangs awkwardly off the back.

Weird I've never noticed that before, never seen anyone do that on the Toy version either

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Stallion Cabana posted:

can you find a more perfect metaphor for Ninninger then 'the dog mech does nothing for the robot and the dumptruck is awkwardly hanging around waiting to do something'

Actually most of the dump truck forms the torso, just that part of it also becomes an arm

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

Ex-Aid is about working against the system? Didn't seem like that to me. At some point the Director is forced to realize the Riders are doing what is right instead of what is procedure and asks for the public to support them, but that's about it.

90% of what happens in that show is people trapped in a delusional idiot's long con.

Agreed, Ex-Aid as well as Drive are definitely not about their Riders being outside of society, and any fighting against the system in those two shows is circumstantial in nature as well as temporary for the most part(heck Ex-Aid ends with Taiga becoming a legal doctor again)

Indeed of the post Decade series only Build and Amazons really come off as particularly anti authoritarian in nature(and in Build's case it's due to them reviving the concept of a Shocker style villain conspiracy as well as artificially altering the very nature of Japan as a country)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'm still disappointed we never got to see Fang used with any of Shotaro's Memories besides Joker

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Absolutely. I guess it makes sense for Trigger since a Gun wouldn't add much to a Dinosaur, but FangMetal would've been rad.

Same with CycloneJoker Extreme, honestly. It would've been expensive to make all those suit parts I guess, but I would've loved a HeatMetal or LunaTrigger Extreme.

Two words that will bring despair for having never happened;

Fang Skull

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

gourdcaptain posted:

Or the ridiculous Decade Ryuki lawyer-verse one, you can't forget that. They even have the same combat-time weird use of the Mirror World if I remember correctly. Build's also going to be "fun" to reconcile with crossovers unless they stick it in an alternate universe to the main one.

I'm just assuming that Build is set in the future

TenCentFang posted:

I have an ex that loving hates Rebellion but I thought it was pretty good and the ending made perfect sense. We were talking about it literally just this morning. Am I in the minority on that?

From what I remember Rebellion just feels infuriatingly incomplete due to it's ending, and that comes from someone who despises Madoka because of how bleak and depressing it is

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Base States: B+
Elec States: C
Fire States: C+
Magnet States: A-
Cosmic States: D-

For calibration, my A+ suit is Kachidoki Arms and my F is Decade Complete.

Man I'm probably one of the only people in this thread who actually likes Decade Complete as a suit

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Whenever I eventually get a PS4, this might well be one of the games I get.

Battride War Genesis was also pretty fun

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Okay, I'm clearly not in the reality I know now. I was born in a world where Super Robot Wars and toku games would never get translated. Did I get teleported to an AR World? Is this all Decade's fault?

...Do I need something special to get Singapore codes? Because I'm a step away from making that Singapore PSN account. Just a step away.

Making a Singapore PSN account is easy, as it's all in English, as for codes you can buy them from Play Asia

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I feel the Den-O SIC figures hit the best balance between keeping the charm of the original designs, while making them look cool

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

No way. Considering the diametrically opposed nature of the teams, there's no way they're not in the same series. This is new ground for Sentai, I think. Rider's had Rider vs Rider stuff for a while, but there's never been Sentai vs Sentai.

Well there was the Hurricanger vs Gouraiger stuff in that series but that only lasted a couple episodes

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah that was actually pretty awesome. Since he doesn't really qualify as a Sixth Ranger, this is the first Sentai I can think of where a non-Red/non-Sixth character gets a unique power up form.

If I recall properly one of the 80's Sentai had it's Black Ranger get a unique powerup, although it was only used as part of a finisher

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Caphi posted:

Meanwhile, the actual Sixth Ranger is a Red Ranger and the Red Ranger is a White Ranger.

I feel there's a Big One joke that can be made here

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they speed up the release schedule now that we'll be soon out of the first Saban era source series, especially if they ever want to tackle any of the pre Zyuranger series

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

Since they seem to be licensing this stuff from Saban Brands and not from Toei, I think what they'll release is whatever is offered to them.

On the other hand it's basically free money for Saban

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Fezz posted:

The Ex-Aid docs have the belt holster that they also use for Stage Select.

Not to mention pretty much every Ex-Aid rider normally wears a coat or jacket so it's easy to justify them carrying additional Gashats beyond what they might have in those holsters

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

Question for fans. I’ve never seen either:

Blade or Gaim?

Gaim for sure

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Shaezerus posted:

My favorite weaponized transformation sequence will forever be that five-second shot in Gokaiger where they changed into Dynaman, turned around, did the team pose, blew up an entire crowd of Gormin with the background explosion, and immediately swapped to another team without a single word.

Wasn't that one of the only times they ever used Dynaman as well(I remember there were a couple teams that didn't get much use in Gokaiger, with Zyuranger being another one)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

I was trying to figure out how Rogue has BAT considering that after Sento beat FakeRogue last week he struggled the bottle out of the guy's hands. It sure looked like the plot backfired and cost Rogue his bottle.

We don't see Utsumi transform(so presumably he just handed back the Bat bottle and the Transteam gun after he transformed, indeed I do believe he didn't have the gun during that fight either), and the bottle he tries to use was one of those unpurified ones that turn people into Smashes(or kill people who have already been exposed)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Motto posted:

Huh, wonder how having two reds will shake out, plus how/if they'll do an extra.

Well it's far from the first time a Sentai team has had two Reds(Timeranger, Hurricaniger, Magiranger, and Kyuranger), they just normally call the other Red something different

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Shinkenger and Go-Busters too, although both with unique circumstances in contrast to those.

The Patorangers use numbers like the ToQgers did so there's no way to mistake LupinRed for PatoIchigou. That said, this is still the first time a Sentai starts with two Reds instead of adding one later, but it's also the first time a Sentai is...two.

I wasn't counting different people using the same power, in that case we'd also be including Nininger and Sun Vulcan

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly I think Zyuranger is probably one of the best choices for someone's first Sentai series, especially now that Shout Factory has it up for free streaming on their site(along with Dairanger, Kakuranger, and Ohranger)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Shout's releasing GoGo V on April 24.

Jotaro YESYESYES.gif

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

jivjov posted:

Does Go Go V even have full community-made subs? I know everything else Shout has put out so far has.

It does

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The only real issue the MMPR comic has is that initially it had really bad designs for any new monsters, at least as being ones that Finster would make, and they often didn't draw Rita's minions very well

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Reminds me that I have that Kamen Rider Skull "movie" lying around on one of my drives somewhere, should dig it up as that was pretty fun(also has the Kamen Rider villain who probably has one of the highest onscreen kill counts of any in the franchise)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

On the topic of Good Sentai series, worth reminding that Zyuranger, Kakuranger, and Megaranger* are all up for free streaming on Shout Factory's streaming service(as well as the less good but still watchable Dairanger and Ohranger)

*for whatever reason they skipped putting Carranger up, although I talked to someone from Shout Factory and they confirmed that it'll be going up eventually, guess there must have been a rights issue they had to resolve or something

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The Ohranger ones are fine, because they're literally the MFC subs

I meant show quality, not sub quality

Blaze Dragon posted:

Is this service open to every country? I left Megaranger ages ago and I should totally finish it, I was really enjoying it but I have a bad attention span so I can't binge-watch quite as well as I wish I could.

I did the exact same thing to Jetman but I wasn't enjoying Jetman all that much, mostly because out of the five there's one likable character and she gets the least amount of spotlight.

Give Ako her own show. In fact, partner her up with Kasumi and Raptor, the Girl Sentai That Deserved Better.

Probably US only, but since you don't need an account to watch anything you shouldn't have any issues using a proxy/VPN service of some sort

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

what

they've been freely available this entire time??????

Well they've been adding them gradually over time, but yeah

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

Build is about “right” for me.

Ex-Aid was over the top, and watching the Dr Pac-Man movie where everybody transformed and half a dozen toy jingles were shouted at once was, for me anyway, ridiculous.

Those pre-Decade shows get a lot of poo poo for what happens when characters aren’t wearing suits, but I do miss the simplicity of their henshin sounds. Faiz is a terrible show, it would seem, but the “Standing By”/”Exceed Charge” voice is great.

The movie for Faiz, Paradise Lost is on the other hand probably one of the best Kamen Rider movies

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Xarbala posted:

And kachidoki had so many large, moving plastic flaps for its armor, choreographing fights with it must've been a real pain.

It was probably heavy as hell too, much like why Kiva introduced it's final form incredibly early compared to pretty much every other series and used it near exclusively from that point onward

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

coconono posted:

Finally after setting up all the bullshit, OOOs starts to get good around episode 42(which manages to squeeze in a sweetass journey allegory in the first scene).Everything's built towards this, which is nice but the pacing slows down heavily when Date shows up. And Ankh especially, this has all built towards answering major questions about who Ankh really is.

The pacing really reminds me of Faiz, which had the same problems(tho they covered by killing the poo poo out of people, sometimes multiple times iirc). I liked Faiz even though you had to lean in and squint to really appreciate the story being told(I blame the TVN subs). Like OOOs it built to a chaotic power grab. What remains to be seen in OOOs is if anyone really gets what they wanted. They didn't in Faiz and in the alternate timeline movie, they really didn't resolve anything there, either.

There's a reason I keep suggesting the best way to watch OOO is to watch up to Shauta's debut and then just skip to the last couple episodes, you honestly don't really miss anything all that important that the show itself won't explain during the finale

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Dexie posted:

What if Go-Busters is season one of Beast Morphers but then they change to Zyuohger for the Super Beast Morphers season?

I was thinking the same thing but with Kyuuranger as the second half

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kinda how I feel about OOO's middle portion(especially the episode with the Pterodactyl Yummies)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

RealFoxy posted:

OOOs had legitimate excuses to suffer in the middle though, most of the other shows don't.

True, although my biggest gripe for the middle portion is a matter of the show going off tone, at least in my opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

coconono posted:

Watched the first 10 eps of Build with the TVN subs but they keep screwing up Sento’s catch phrase so now I’ve got a bunch of OTsub stuff in the torrent machine.

I normally hate torrenting because my ISP likes to invent DMCA claims. But needs must.

I found a site that maintains MEGA folders instead if you want a link