Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I spent some time catching up to Zi-O going form 4 to 11 in an evening. That's a lot of Zi-O.
Do you know how often these guys henshin per episode? It's like they need to pad the episodes or something. I like the belts at least. :)

It's weird how at present Geiz actually seems more like the lead than Zi-O.

Anyway I don't dislike it, but it doesn't feel like a celebration of the previous seasons nearly as much as Decade was. (despite the problems Decade had)
But maybe I'm just cranky that he's erasing other riders (even if they'll be reinstated by the end of the series). Except possibly god Kouta, which would be awesome if he keeps existing. (haven't seen 12 yet so please don't spoil)
It'd actually be a bit stupid for them to get rid of god Kouta since he's their literal Deus Ex Machina for any future cross over problems.

It feels like Zi-o is the logical and unfortunate conclusion of Kamer Riders tendency to downplay the previous riders as weak and the ever increasing toy focus.

Also Eiji showed up in so many movies and still wasn't reunited with Ankh and now Ankh doesn't even exist anymore. :(

I hope Decade showing up will kick the series in a higher gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Sometimes Youtube gets some good videos, here's one of all of Decade's cards. Now if only someone could upload one of all of his speeches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUdguwzlOj0

The Decade driver is still my favorite belt. It has moving parts, but is easy and quick to use and the voice is pure perfection. (also perfect musical cues)
Double Driver is a close second.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Dec 5, 2018

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

K-K-K-Kuuga!

Think my favorite is the Fourze Driver. The Switches have a very neat and pleasing tactile gimmick (Kengo basically spends the whole season using an Astro Switch to stim), there's a lot of cool physicality to it all, and the screen's actually slanted so you can even see the light show while wearing the thing.

I really hate the Fourze belt. I like the 3-2-1 countdown and actual henshin. But 4 trinkets that you have to switch on are just too much for me somehow. In addition, the voice makes my ears bleed. :(

Potsticker posted:

From Decade to Wizard was just an unbroken string of amazing belts imo.
Except Fourze I agree.

I'm also really fond of the OOO's belt. ping Ping PING! PTERA TRICERA TYRANNO! PU~TO~TYRANNOSAURUUUUUS!

I disliked Wizard belt when it started because the belt was so longwinded, but it really grew on me as the season went on. The song got stuck in my head, which may have helped.
It's also easy and quick to use, which really helped during the fight scenes since he could change mode during moves without pausing the action.

Belts have become like an extra cast member.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Potsticker posted:

Fourze was the one that I disliked at first and then it really grew on me as the episodes went on and in the end it ended up as my #5 favorite belt in a really goofy list I made for a discord channel that rated belts that took into account things like posing and such in addition to sounds, mechanics and design.

The 4 switches is all part of the charm, it's just like a pilot flicking on all the switches to start up the engines and other flight preparations-- presumably this happens in a shuttle launch too-- and it just ties into the whole theme beautifully.

But for sure, when it was first shown and for the first episodes I thought it was a hunk of ugly empty plastic that didn't really do anything.

I do now have a newfound respect for the driver. I never made the connection between the many switches on the belt and the many switches in a cockpit. Neat design choice.

I feel a bit stupid for not making that connection, because the amount of thought and puns/details that go into the belts is pretty insane.

Now the question remains, which was your #1 and why?

I didn't like the Ghost belt much, it's okay. But the Mega Ulorder from Necrom. :allears: That suave manly voice. "YES~SIR!"

I briefly mentioned it earlier, but I find the Zi-O driver pretty fun as well. Sure it's huge, but it has that silly spin calling a clock to mind and a neat voice. The armors it summons making the rider of choice trademark pose is pretty neat as well.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Potsticker posted:

I went with OOOs. From the jingles to the awesome posing to the very satisfying clicks as the medals slot into place and then again as the front face is tilted it's just absolutely fantastic. There's no wasted space on the thing and mmmmmmaybe the only downside is that the scanner is a separate part that does the majority of the actual work, but that's something I'm only really thinking about now and wasn't in the write-up.

The top 5 in full:
1. OOO
2. Den-O
3. Decade
4. Faiz
5. Fourze

Not having the W Driver was rough, because the gaia memory sounds along with the Decadriver's are basically the very best callouts, but both belts lost points for weak, similar posing and while the music is pretty good, it doesn't stack up next to belts like Den-O's or OOO's.

Faiz is the gold standard for me on how to treat the belts. They feel like real things that exist in the world with how they have carrying cases and don't just magically appear in peoples' hands or around their waists. And then there's (mostly) no bologna about how only the main character can use their belt. Which from a storytelling perspective how that played out is definitely a complaint I've heard about Faiz, it's an aspect that really worked for me.

You have excellent taste good sir.
I was also very fond of the Den-O driver. It's simple and uses tickets in a neat way.

Faiz' belts being actual objects they lug around was definitely a unique point for Faiz. I rather liked it as well, because suddenly it was possible for the herot o be without or to just straight up steal it. I don't think I want that for every rider show though.
Gaim sort off went in that direction with the Sengoku driver getting knocked away a couple of times (which led to the expansion slot being found). But they still pulled it out of their rear end when they needed it.

coconono posted:

Faiz is still one of my fave rider series because of all the drama. I gotta download and watch that again.
Our hero Kusaka being basically the reason the story took as long as it did is something special.

Craptacular! posted:

Faiz is probably my favorite belt voice. Second is the more western sounding of the Gaim voices.
Exceed charge.

I was originally really fond of the Kabuto drivers as well, but they fell out of style for me somehow. I guess that despite the neat voices and switches/levels they're just a little too plain compared to the newer generation.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

One of my students last year wrote that her dream was to become Ryoma Takeuchi's wife. He's also been in a bunch of movies recently, mostly rom-coms. He's really popular these days! :)

I'm always reminded of a comment that the author of My Hero Academia made one time that echoes my feelings perfectly. I'm so happy to see Masaki Suda (Phillip) succeeding, but the bigger he gets the more I fear I'll never see him return as Kamen Rider Double. Takeuchi may be similarly lost to us at this rate, but I certainly hope not considering how huge a dork that man is about super heroes.

We don't really need new Suda for Double though. Just recycle some old footage of him in the library. Shotaro was the one in the field.

The writer of My Hero commented regarding Double? That's neat.

Is Decade (the rider) popular in Japan? Seems like all the western fans I talk to were really looking forward to him showing up.
In addition Tsukasa's actor may be the rider who has so far reprised his role the most. I'd assume he at least likes the role.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

I was kind of hoping Tsukasa would be a bigger deal, that he might be a constant threat, but it kinda seems like he's just going to be around for this one arc, after revealing he's played the Time Jackers and was planning to give Sougo the Decade Ride Watch all along.

But that doesn't mean I think the episode was bad. It's nice that they addressed why Geiz has the Ghost and Drive watches, how Geiz mistook Tsukasa for Agito, and we got some Hibiki action which is fantastic since Decade has transformed into Hibiki a grand total of once, and that was in the first episode of his series.

The preview makes it very confusing what decades role is going to be. Seems like the decade ride watch is the mid-season upgrade. But who is currently around who necessitates it a mid-season upgrade?

Also adding: while the story for decade is very confusing and not very good. I found the series to be very entertaining. It seemed to get what fanservice means better than zi-o so far at least

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Decade's sticking around for longer than the two episode arc (I think it's actually 9 episodes or so), and Episode 15 will answer the question of "Why would there be a need for a new upgrade?"

Well I mean aside from "money"

Nice. I probably will be dissappointed, but I want to see Decade Complete face off against Zi-o. :(

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

This definitely feels way too early for a mid-season upgrade, but I guess it is in line with modern shows. I think we need a new name for whatever this is though because it feels like more of a Boost Damashi / Level X Double Action Gamer / RabbitTank Sparking than a mid-season.

But the Rider Forms it allows him to access are what I consider actual mid-season upgrades like Grateful Damashii and Build's Hazard Forms, right? Riders seem to have three upgrade stages these days so I don't know what you'd call the one before the mid-season upgrade.

1/3 season upgrade?

Decade was the last rider to not have multiple upgrades. :)

Following our discussions of belts I took to youtube and reviewed some parts of Wizard, which reminded me once again why Wizard is such a let down. They had all the ingredients for something great but than instead of making a pie they make a puzzle.
Still awesome fights though with great magic usage.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

W only had the normal forms, and Xtreme. I don't count FangJoker as an upgraded form because that's just the form where Phillip is the one being the Body.

OOO's is a better example. He had multiple super forms. And his final form isn't even the form used to finish doctor Maki.

I also never considered Den-O's final form the real final form. Even if Liner form looks awesome, it never felt like an upgrade compared to Climax form and they even straight up keep going to Climax if the situation allowed for it.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Survive is a Final Form, it's used by Decade Complete and the Ryuki Survive Ridewatch is dated "FIN." like other final forms. If we're going with four tiers, the basic Dragon Forms would be Upgrade while All Dragon (and Special Rush?) would be Super...I guess.

Sounds logical.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

That reminds me, why hasn't Sentai ever done a bug themed group? Boy love bugs. Iknow Kamen Rider exists, but that hasn't had any connections to bugs in forever.

ExAid fought Bugsters. :v:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

I knew the Decade forms for Zi-O would look ridiculous, but I don't think I quite grasped how silly the belt would look with stacked ridewatches.

What a goofy thing. The complementation project was also very good.

Yeah I'm not digging the decade armor either. It sounds cool, but the armor is very bulky and very busy. And that helmet. The belts symmetry is ruined by using the expansion slot.

Cool special effects though.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

The suit itself definitely looks iffy, but I'm willing to withhold judgment a little bit on that. I'm mostly just commenting on how dumb the belt looks.

Apologies.

I like how Makoto did the exact same thing he did in Ghost. As soon as Ghost was fighting his fighting- sense would tingle and he would show up from nowhere.

@blaze dragon. Currently it feels like Zio is the first Kamen rider where the toy heaviness is getting in the way of the action/story in the wrong way.
We always had some toy stuff (like strawberry lock seed or even further back the Duran booster from Kiva) that would just show up to sell a toy and then disappear. But it never really got in the way of the action or story.
Currently it feels little like the toys are bursting from the seams in Zio and occasionally interfering.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 16, 2018

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I like Decade complete. It's perfect for him and his series. :)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

coconono posted:

Finally watched Zi-O and the Decade armor powerup is amazing. Its super bold and I'm wondering how they're going to do serious fight choreography since the whole flat panel things look like they can be pulled off easily.

The Decade Rider guy is cool as hell too. Shows up, eats your dinner, takes your picture and threatens to destroy you. Is he this much of a jerk in his series or is it something he works up?
He's pretty much Gary Stu in fanfiction land, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
I liked him.
More tellingly however, look at the responses to him and the memes surrounding him 10 years later.

I suddenly find myself wondering if Geiz will be able to take the award for worst secondary rider from Specter. So far at least he seems intent on taking the title.

Beast is so lucky he was important in the final and Nito was awesome otherwise he would've been the ultimate bad secondary rider.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Monathin posted:

None of those, except maybe Spectre, come as close to actively impeding the plot as Leangle, so I'll have to respectfully disagree with you.
I haven't seen Blade, because I accidentally got spoiled on the major plot points before I got to watch it. But I can't imagine Leangle beating Kusaka. Faiz would've been over in roughly 10 episodes if he hadn't been around. At least Kusaka was a competent fighter.
What did Spectre do to impede the plot? I don't think he did anything. He was just there.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I took Darth TNT's worst as "worst performance" rather than worst for the plot, and goddamn is Geiz working hard towards that achievement. That said, I find myself liking Geiz far more than I liked Makoto, for one simple reason: I can tell what the writing wants me to think. With Ghost, I was clearly meant to see Makoto (god, my mind keeps autofilling "nii-chan" there, loving Takeru) as a complete badass and then...he got owned. Every single fight. The moment he turned sides was the moment he stopped mattering and became something a non-Saiyan Dragon Ball character could point at and laugh. Geiz, though? The series has been absolutely clear on how incompetent he is. We're never told otherwise, Geiz not only utterly failed at killing Sougo, he ended up attached to him and helped Sougo become far more powerful than Geiz himself. He made his situation several times worse and now he has no way out of it, if it comes down to a fight, it'll be a one-sided slaughter, again.

Geiz is a good character. He's also completely ineffectual, and by far the single biggest obstacle towards his own goal. But I like him, even if he's hilariously incompetent.

I meant it in a more general thing yes. Like what do they accomplish.
Spectre is introduced as a big badass and a better fighter than Takeru. But after joining Takeru he never wins even once. Even his deep spectre (and the rage form) becomes useless almost immediately after introduction.
It's not even clear what his goal is after his sister is revived. I guess he was helping revive Takeru...somehow by doing something? I mean half the time Spectre doesn't even exist and he just magically shows up when a fight breaks out with no explanation where he came from or what he was doing.
Best part was GenM showing up and easily clowning Deep Spectre and Necrom at the same time.
He looked badass though, in all his forms.

Beast was introduced as a joke and he remained very entertaining. He was horrible in a fight though and he even comes with his very own built in ready to worf weapon in the dicesaber. He was nothing but comedy value which is fine.
But then he suddenly becomes the key to stopping the Sabbatt by setting Khimeara free to eat it. An awesome end for a very fun character.

Geiz is introduced as a tragic character, all his friends and family die. (I think he even mentions this)
He attacks Sougo on sight, but is talked down. He seems to begin to like him despite repeated threats, but is talked back into attacking Sougo again by Kaito.
But as soon as something else happens he immediately stops doing that again and starts giving Sougo upgrades. Like why did he immediately give the Decade watch to him? It wasn't even needed against the foes in question and goes against his goal of stopping Sougo. Why don't we see him trying it on his virtually identical driver?

Geiz seems to be becoming less and less competent as time goes on.
He's originally shown as a strong fighter, but Sougo easily curb stomps him as soon as he gets serious.
And I don't think Geiz has won a battle since his defeat by Sougo.

I agree though, currently I like Geiz more than Spectre. The show isn't over yet. He may get a very satisfying arc and ending. Currently though he seems to be following Spectre's arc more than Beasts arc and I fear that he will end up as bad as Spectre.

Regarding Decade. What are the odds of Tsukasa trying to set things up so that he destroys Oma Ziyo's future. He still claims to be a destroyer of worlds and he views the past as a separate world. In addition he appears to be playing both sides at the moment.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Dec 20, 2018

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Vandar posted:

The Deka Ranger (yes, that's his name) costume looks pretty loving rad though. :swoon:

It's like Kamen Rider Wizard if he was a power ranger.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Man, I'm just double posting all the time now but this is the kind of news that deserves it. We have two returning actors for Heisei Generations Forever.

The first is a pretty predictable one: Toshiki Kashu returns as Shoichi/Agito. He's a constant returnee so this isn't surprising, though it's good nonetheless.
Our second though? Our second is one of the four actors I was sure wouldn't, under any circumstances, reappear in Kamen Rider. One of those that just got too big a profile to, and the only one that had proper replacements in Kamen Rider so he wasn't strictly needed. By this point, it should be obvious who I'm talking about, but I'll spell it out because it's too much of a surprise - Takeru Satoh is back, as Ryotaro Nogami/Kamen Rider Den-O, reprising his role after it was completely taken over by that dorky glasses dude from Ghost and then just the Taros themselves. I remember early interviews saying that Toei blew their budget on Zi-O and now I can fully see it's true, because getting him back couldn't be easy. I'm not even a big Den-O fan and I'm hyped.

Also on Zi-O, great episode this week. I was looking forward to this exact situation happening and it definitely hit as hard as I hoped it would. I had my fears we'd get a bad plot twist that absolves Sougo of all responsibility, like Oma Zi-O actually being just Another Zi-O and thus a completely different person, but no. His words here, and his incredibly dorky choice of footwear, prove that he is indeed future Sougo. And his interactions with his present self were great, showing that the bridge between the heavily optimistic Sougo and the Most Evil Overlord is far shorter than anyone realized - future Sougo's ideals did not change at all, merely his methods, he's convinced he succeeded in what he wanted as a young man. That he taunts himself with how he could just throw the belt away is only proof of how much he knows himself, even if he didn't realize just how much his power had grown. I'm really interested in seeing how this continues. Also, this is the first time we've seen Sougo just break down, until now he's reacted to stuff that'd freak anyone else out with eerie calm, as befitting of an overlord, but this is his breaking point, seeing what he becomes and what he causes. We'll see how he gets over it, but man, I'm liking this show.

Very awesome that they got Ryotaro back. I really liked him as Den-o. I'm a little wary though because the Zio series proper hasn't always done the type of fanservice that I like to see. So I fear that they'll underuse him.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I liked this ep of Zio as well. Good character development for Geiz and Sougo.

During the fights though that decade armor helmet was hideous. It's glossy surface means you can barely even see which power he's using.

Preview talk:
Looks like Tsukasa's will be facing oma Zio next week

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh hey, talking about Gaim, turns out Toei disagrees with your negativity so we're getting more Gaim stuff. Namely, the third Gaim Gaiden (was the second one subbed?), centered on Zangetsu again...as a stage play!

I liked gaim :( but I wasn't asking for this.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

The Ridewatches thing has an explanation but sadly it's an out of universe one: toy accuracy. While it's always been something to care about, Zi-O has been extremely focused on keeping toy accuracy no matter what, even when it makes things look worse. A clear example of this is the Genm Ridewatch: it wasn't a DX release in reality, and the series shows it, it doesn't have the turning gimmick of the normal Ridewatches and the upper button doesn't work so we don't get a "GENM" before the Critical Time Burst.

Because of toy accuracy, what Ridewatches each Rider can use is heavily limited, since only a few Armours were designed for both of them to use. The ones we've seen (Ex-Aid, Ghost, Build) were specifically designed for it, the toys have a front side and a back side that are identical except for the colour of the chest wristband (silver in one side, black in the other) and the helmet (which changes the kana to fit each Rider), and indeed, half of that is true even in the series, any back shots show the other-coloured wristband. Armours with specifically designed backs cannot be used by both in the toys, and as such, we'll never see the other Rider use them. It's why, despite getting the Gaim Ridewatch, Geiz gives it to Sougo instead, because the Gaim Armour is specifically designed only for Zi-O. This is also the case for Decade, hence the incredibly weird move of Geiz immediately giving the new Ridewatch to the guy he's meant to kill with no explanation, because the toy is not meant for Geiz, and hence why Sougo still had the Decade Ridewatch despite destroying his belt, because the series can't ever allow Geiz to use it.

The toy accuracy stuff isn't limited to the new Riders, either. Decade is also heavily affected by it: the Neo Decadriver only has Kamen Ride and Final Attack Ride cards, hence why he can use the powers of every Rider form in their main one (using the Flame Saber as Agito Ground and controlling water as Wizard Flame) and why he doesn't use Attack Ride cards for moves that'd take them in his own series.

This is super interesting. So if I understand you correctly the neo decade driver doesn't have attack ride voice samples despite (some of) them existing in his previous driver?

They can really easily handwave some of the weird things though. Like Getz trying the decade watch but his slightly different driver simply does not accept it. Even fits with toy accuracy.

I suppose ghost had a pretty good solution to the armor problem with the parkas. I assume those were wearable by both specter and ghost?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I watched the last Zio just now. Good episode. Lots of things happening for everyone including decade.

I also really dig how stupid it was that castle Doran robot was riding the captain in respons to Geiz and Another Zio riding each other. Yes, I did just "watch" (as far as you could get a clear picture of them mess) a giant dragon/castle hybrid mecha ride a boat/lizard mecha hybrid. :iia:

Geiz giving his driver to Zio, while awesome, also unfortunately calls to attention that the drivers are the same and thus they should have access to the same powers. But as already explained because of toy accuracy they don't.

I really hope they start using more armors though. It's getting a little annoying how it's just wizard, ghost and exaid.

I also wish the armor powers were a little more distinct. Like what are the advantages of the wizard armor time as opposed to the exaid armor time?
At least decade makes it clear what the advantages for him going to wizard were. (Beyond just being a dick)

I wonder when we'll find out who made the jiku drivers.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Double was just such a great season.

I'm going to stick up for wizard here.
He always fought in fire. He rarely used water because it's gimmick was fighting under water. Air gave him the ability to do a dynamic entry save and fly.
He used earth pretty only when he was pressured, usually signified by him casting wall. (Which usually failed, though spam casting wall against Medusa was great)
Offensively water and fire were identical though, so I'll give you that.

I'm not giving Zio a complete pass on not making the armors more distinct just because it's an anniversary series.
It's predecessor was really good at using the other riders gimmicks. From Kuuga Pegasus super sensitivity use against clock up, switching to faiz accel to match Kabuto, using Agito's ability to create weapons from other objects to using Kabuto's clock up to quickly cover distances. Decade was really good at that.
I think what helped is what was already said.
All riders now have so many forms that it's getting harder to distinguish between them. Wizard was a jack of all trades, ghost was a jack of all trades, fourze was a jack of all trades.
The gimmick now is usually not what a rider can, but what the rider has that can do something and I think Zio and his reliance on armor (toys) suffers from it.

It's weird though, because the ghost armor actually does make it clear what it's advantage is. It can summon parka ghosts. (Though that does make me wonder what the use of the grateful form is)
Drive armor also makes it clear, it's really fast.
It's just a few that have trouble communicating their advantage. (Faiz, exaid, wizard)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

OOO isn't the best Kamen Rider, but I'd say it's the most archetypal/gateway? A good show with good characters that just barely misses the mark on living up to its potential. That sums up almost every recent KR to some degree, and if you don't like OOO, the genre probably isn't for you.

That's a pretty wide degree if you're counting ghost and wizard.
Interestingly, despite just missing the potential OOO's finale did leave me satisfied. It's a good series.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I don't get the hate for Gaim. I really liked it.
I liked how insane it was. I liked them showing Kouta growing with his powers. I liked the original ambiguity of Tokatora and some of his group and how that fed into Michi's fall. Hell I liked selfish Sid.

Spoiler alert:
I liked how they killed a number of their friends and in hindsight I loved how batshit the scaling was. We went from a kid trying to find his way in the world (even after getting powers) after breaking with "dance" groups to "I'm a god and I'll take the dimension invading plants to a new planet with my no longer dead girlfriend".
Fruitbasket was bad though. Kachidoki was awesome.
Kaitou was great but really annoying at the slightly after beginning to midway point. "I'm strong! Strength matters!" *gets his poo poo kicked in* repeat every episode until his final upgrade.

But I would probably never suggest it as a first series due to the overbearing fruit theme. That really needed some getting used to. And it was a bit chaotic.

Probably of note, I was unfamiliar with Gen before Gaim so I had no expectations going into the season.

I'm wondering though why some would suggest OOO's over Double. Both seasons are my favorites, I'm just curious what makes OOO'S easier to suggest to start with.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the whole concept of dance gangs that immediately transitioned into super suit battles was very silly and didn't work well. if they were so willing to beat each other up after transforming why wouldn't they have gotten into normal street fights beforehand? it was originally supposed to be feuding street gangs and it shows.

They didn't go Dance -> Kamen rider battles as you make it out to be.
The dancers were already doing pokemon battles with Inves for the rights to the stages before the Kamen Riders were introduced.
It only escalated when Kouta transformed and easily trounced everyone their pokeinves causing everyone else to step up their game and get their own drivers.

I agree though the dance part isn't very good. :( The only part of that I like is that it's a very mundane start to use as a ground floor.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Gaim definitely struggles with the writer's ideas vs. the toyetic aspect of Kamen Rider, and ultimately is a lesser product for it, but it does have some really good moments and characters (that, sadly does not include its protagonist, who has a whole one episode where he's interesting and it's the first) . The ending is...debatable in terms of quality, and then it has an epilogue that was blatantly forced by executives, and that does overall hurt the quality of the show, but I think it was fine. Not amazing, probably on the lower-end of Heisei Riders, but still watchable. Definitely a better show than Ghost or Wizard which shouldn't be watched at all.
I disagree about Kouta, but I agree on everything else. Gaim was the first Kamen Rider I felt was really starting to buckle under the strain of having to sell toys.

Everything in Wizard is amazing, except cast (barring Nitou), and story. It's unfortunate for Wizard that those things tend to matter a lot in a story based medium.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Burkion posted:

Here's the thing

That's great. Just because other people don't like Thing, does not invalidate the fact that you do like Thing. I hate Digimon Season 2, but there are just as many people who love it.

If anyone tries to say that something is bad, they almost always mean "in my opinion". Just keep that in mind. Also Gaim is getting a bit of a drumming in recent years because at the time it was the reverse- in the moment of airing, Gaim was super popular and any criticism was met very harshly.
Did you know that the best thing about opinions is learning why other people hold an opinion different from your own? It can broaden your own understanding of the world and that person. It's great! Try it sometimes. :)

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they were fantastic designs that could not possibly survive the other half of the show.

At least that is an extra excuse for the final battle where his flags were broken by Kaitou.

Potsticker posted:

Kachidoki Arms and the DJ Gun are absolutely fantastic designs. Even if I say nothing else nice about Gaim, that suit was top notch.

Also best introduction. The rooftop scene was great. That's how you sell a toy.

Ignis posted:

Build movie's up, the product of the luck of the gods (a combination of no work interrupting us, a very short script for nichiasa movie standards, and virtually no signs whatsoever to typeset). It's a very entertaining movie directed by one of the best directors Rider has to offer, and we hope you enjoy it!

Awesome, thanks.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Second time, since DiEnd was confirmed gay. Hilariously, he has far less subtext with Tsukasa than pretty much any duo from Shotaro and Phillip onwards.
DiEnd is gay? When did they confirm that? I miss a DiEnd. He was fun.

Burkion posted:

You know what else is great about opinions? Feeling like you're being attacked for yours when we're talking about loving kids shows and that making you feel lovely when you have an entire real life to actually worry about and get poo poo done, and maybe being comforted when some one else pops up to mention that yo udon't have to worry about that nonsense. It's fine to argue, just don't get too wrapped up in it.

Also taking something that doesn't mean what you imply and twisting it to mean something else entirely

gently caress off

I think I missed something here. Was I doing the attacking or was someone under the impression that I was feeling attacked? I'm a little confused here and now I feel like you feel offended by me.
From my point of view the following happened:
1: I asked why opinion on something I liked soured.
2: I read a post by you which, to me, read like you were telling me not to ask/worry about other peoples opinions. Which felt like an odd thing to say as my enjoyment isn't really influenced by other people liking or disliking thing so
3: I responded with a silly post.

I'm sorry if I offended you, but I feel like I'm missing something. :confused:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I finished OOO last night. Thanks for the recommendation; I really enjoyed it.
How did I not know that Amazons is on USA Prime with subtitles? Amazon's curating is worse than Netflix's, and that's saying something.

OOO'S is great, glad you enjoyed it. Listen to cough drop. While I can't comment on Fourze, it looks more fun than I gave it credit for. In addition W is awesome as well.
If you felt that OOO'S ending was good then you'll probably enjoy W as well.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Tunklord Supreme posted:

this is only half right, the OOO half of Movie War Core sucks but Movie War Mega Max is completely excellent from start to finish

Is that the one with the waterscooter fight? Because that movie is excellent except for that part. Which was boring in a movie made out of excellence.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

He does it other times throughout the show but not nearly to that particular level of assholery to his partner or to the detriment of their ability to fight crime.
Which is another thing the megamax movie does well. They show how Shotaro has learned how to deal with that.

V-Men posted:

He had some serious sexual tension with Gokai Blue in the first Super Hero Wars.

I'm saddened by this, because this feels like reaching to me. I was hoping someone just straight up said it.

Potsticker posted:

It would be an awesome, wholly unnecessary bit of fan wanking if Kamen Rider Aqua was a future rider in Zi-O.

This would be such an awesome callback.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 16, 2019

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

coconono posted:

what a dumb strategy, use the trees for effective cover you dinguses.
Seems like a good strategy for a picknick near an anthill.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

V-Men posted:

Only that Woz is Narutaki.

I sort of want to see Woz next to Narutaki. :allears:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

This is a really neat suit and a really good fake name for what looks like a Metal Heroes expy.

I can't be the only one who sees this and thinks of the MMPR Jason. Also keeping in mind what Austin was doing after MMPR.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I watched Zi-O 17 yesterday. New Woz's belt sounds like a muppet. I love it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I'm still not quite feeling Sougo though. Despite the excellent part with him meeting Oma Zi-o.
It does seem like Geitz has pulled out of his Spectre dive. Woz makes everything better.

But I definately second the consensus that Zi-o is now finally starting to come into it's own.

Does anyone know if Decade will be back again?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Zi-o spoiler on tokunation
So Sougo really going to use a sword with a giant head of his normal suit on it. That's so stupid it's awesome. :allears:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
So I guess Build is everyone's Go To Kick rear end In 2 Seconds armor? First Sougo used it to trounce Geitz and now Geitz used it to trounce Sougo.

Quiz didn't seem to troubled by the time stuff going on, is he a singularity point or something?

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Feb 1, 2019

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Check the fight properly. Geiz won not because of the Build Armour, but because Sougo wasn't fighting. He was defending himself from hits but never threw any. Sougo could've demolished Geiz if he pleased but decided not to.

Yes, Sougo barely fought back. That's not quite what I was getting at.

But what I meant was armor choice.
When Sougo did it to Geitz back during OOO's they didn't have any other armors to use. So it makes sense for him to use build there.

Now it was Geitz "turn". On his own he has access to Ghost, Wizard, Drive, GenM and Faiz but he instead chooses to go for Build which he loaned from Sougo. And because Sougo didn't fight back properly the fight finishes in seconds again.

That's what I found amusing. So many armors, but he chooses the one that Sougo used to demolish him.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Actually, talking about Build, can I say I really appreciate how W and Build, the two-tone Riders, were used to face Quiz who has the same design? Neat bit there. Build is even more fitting considering the intelligence theme of this mini-arc.

I didn't realize that. Neat!
Philip had all knowledge due to being connected to the Gaia Memories. You could argue that this also connects W and Quiz.

I was pretty fond of Quiz' suit. It's pretty lean and has a neat helmet.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Potsticker posted:

Dekaranger is what got me into sentai, so I will never not recommend that. Go-onger and Kyoryuger are pretty strong picks as well. Jetman is a classic, but it's an older show so if you're looking to get into the modern stuff that may not be a good place to start, but it really depends on your tastes whether you should watch it early or later.

Really I feel like Gokaiger is a fantastic place to start if you want a good taste of everything in order to see what you might be interested in. There's a lot of good sentai out there and if you're not super picky about spoilers, because the show does spoil some important plot points to certain shows, Gokaiger is both a fantastic show on it's own and a great overview of the history of sentai up until that point.

I'm currently going through Gokaiger for the first time and as my first Sentai. I'm only up to episode 13. But I'm enjoying the sillyness, the insanity of driving a megazord (with a hat!) with giant steering wheels and the general feeling of respect for the cameos. Which would otherwise not mean anything to me having not seen any other Sentai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Gokaiger is probably my favorite, but that's mainly because I just really dig the main cast. Some of the episodes were a bit miss, because they take on a bit of the feeling of each of the sentai they're involved with, so like Carranger's episode is real goofy and Shinkenger's is more serious. Also, Gai is and always will be the best sixth member and I will not hear otherwise.

I haven't seen Gai in action yet. But so far the cast is great. Doc is a hilarious fuckup who loves wrestling moves. Luka is kickass (and quite cute). Marvelous is Marvelous. Joe and Ahim are a bit flat compared to the rest, though Joe at least works with the rest.
But I do love how they keep swapping weapons to play to their strengths. It's such a simple thing, yet it gives them just that little extra personality.

I watched the episode (13?) where Ahim gets "kidnapped" yesterday and it was great. I couldn't stop laughing when the Gokaigers destroyed a garage door and ran into an abandoned warehouse firing wildly around them, at no one as Ahim, the kidnapper and the monster had already left.
Poor monster gets the blame for everything. :(