Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
Anyone else feel like Zero-One has taken way too long to get to the plot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

This arc has been terrible, yes. I don't think it's so much "get to the plot" there since the plot's been there from episode 1, so much as it is a really bad management of...everything that makes a series, from characters to plot to pacing to even the fights.

At least Fuwa and Jin are still cool.

I just feel like the stuff we're seeing 30 episodes in is the kind of stuff we should have seen at 15 episodes in. We're still on monster of the week stuff this late and it feels like we're still waiting for the plot. Thouser doesn't feel like a main enemy, and when he showed up I figured he'd be like a Grease/Rogue situation where he turns good and the actual main villain has the stage, but the longer this goes on, the more I scratch my head thinking that maybe this is all we get.

I like the characters for this season, but I'm definitely not a fan of the pacing. Ex-Aid kind of stumbled along like this, too, but not nearly as bad.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Ex-Aid was kind of the opposite of Zero-One pacing-wise. Ex-Aid had a very slow beginning that was mostly Show Toys instead of plot progression, but once that was done (Christmas episode) the series fired up all cylinders and never stopped, with every episode having importance and development, not to mention constantly hitting you in the face with strong and sad moments. Meanwhile Zero-One had a super strong first arc that got us all excited of what was to come and then what came was slow, pointless and unfocused.

It was a different order, but essentially the same problem. I remember the whole "finishing Chronicle" arc going on for ages and not giving a poo poo because they never established what Chronicle was or its significance. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Ex-Aid by the end, but the writer has such a problem with pacing that it can be hard to stay engaged.

LastGoodBoy fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 4, 2020

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Larryb posted:

I would argue that Ren/Kamen Rider Knight is basically the real star of Ryuki.

Yeah, and Banjo is the star of Build. This is pretty common, now that I think about it.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Geostomp posted:

Build did pretty well with balancing the two main Riders. If anything, they kept switching who the star was repeatedly.

That's true. At the end it was kind of a back and forth.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Imagine if the next season is a sequel of some sort to Zero-One, as an homage to how Kamen Rider 1/2 and Kuuga/Agito did it.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Aruto is the biggest wet fart of a protagonist Rider since Takeru... and he has even less personality because at least Takeru was an endearing goofball when the series remembered he was more than catchphrases. Both of them make Sougo look extremely compelling and he kind of sucks too. Aruto hasn't displayed a single personality trait in too many episodes to count. So it's great that Fuwa owns and is so much cooler than Aruto in every way. Jin is sick as hell too, especially since his revival.

I really, really hope the upcoming arc tears Aruto down in every way and builds him back up as a lead Rider with a decent personality and believable goals that are more than "I need to show the world how cool Humagears are despite all the evidence to the contrary and zero reason why I should fanatically feel this way." But it's probably too late for him to be legitimately interesting when more than half the show is over.

If there's one thing I've learned from Kamen Rider, it's always expect the most predictable outcome for a children's show. They won't make Aruto compelling at all through any character development. What they will do is make a situation where everyone goes "I guess Humagears were actually good all along! Thanks for teaching us this through your yelling and optimism, Aruto!"

This whole season feels like a 100% toy season with all the belt-bloat and forms.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

When was the last time we could say that Sentai was better than Rider?

Gokaiger and OOO please don't hit me.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

King of Solomon posted:

Man, it's a huge bummer reading this thread as someone who still thinks Zero One is good.

I don't think Zero-One is good, but I don't hate it or think it's bad. I just think it's just below average. It's still fun.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

With the caveat that it has been several years since I tried W, and with the note that I went into it with high expectations, and made it at least twenty eps in before I dropped it.

- Shotaro is a sexist pig and unfunny to watch. I began to hate it whenever it showed up on screen.
- Philip is a perfect angel and if he were the rider it would be a better show
- I hated the lady lead as well, with her stupid "hit people with shoe" thing

Yeah it mostly became a thing where I just wasn't enjoying myself? I'd watch an episode and want to enjoy myself but there was no charm and the humor didn't work and like, I realized I was getting irritated whenever I was watching it.

At this point I'd like to try it again with really low expectations instead, because the suit design is great and I loved the fights, but like, eh. I have sentai to watch. And almost every other Kamen Rider made me happier to watch it, even the abysmal Gaim. (god gaim also sucks, for similar sexist reasons. I only watched 20 eps of it because someone watched it with me and when they stopped I dropped it like a hot potato)

Other Kamen Riders I haven't liked: Ryuki (didn't like any of the main characters or the plot), Faiz (lord almighty inoue). Agito by the end had Problems but I enjoyed it warts and all. Kuuga is perfect. Exaid is almost perfect. I enjoyed the ten eps I saw of Build. I enjoyed the 1 ep I saw of OOO, same deal with Drive. I have seen 5 eps of Blade and really loved that.

I stopped watching toku because I have zero attention span, and I expect I will do the same again eventually, but I mean to finish at least 2-3 sentai shows before then. We'll see if I move onto more KRs after then.

As someone who hasn't seen anything but clips of W, I agree with your assessment of it entirely.

Also, Build is a perfect season.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Gaim stinks. Fruit theme? Really? No one likes fruit. Boo.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Brother Entropy posted:

i mean, that's still a metaphor. it's just a kind of ugly xenophobic boogeyman of a metaphor

A forest can't be a metaphor because it has animals in it.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

PenguinKnight posted:

Kamen Rider Ed-Aid ep 30: AWWW gently caress DANS BACK! In bugster form!

this is my first toku show and I’m loving it!

OH MY loving GOD THE CONTINUE PIPE

THAT'S SHIN DAN KUROTO TO YOU

LastGoodBoy fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 5, 2020

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Okay, that's way too many things, I'll need the toku experts to say what's worth watching.

Kamen Rider Build.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Ignis posted:

Thanks for nothing, you just gave me a mild heart attack dude :mad:

Who, me? Sorry, at the time I thought he meant in general.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

I don't know which of you are playing Animal Crossing, but I made posters for all the Heisei Kamen Riders for your walls if you are.

V-Men posted:

I totally forgot how much I disliked Tokiwa Sougo as a character.

I'll take him over Aruto any drat day.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

I didn't know how much I needed this until I saw it. I'll gladly take these for my island...as soon as I can figure out how I'm meant to.

You use the Nintendo Switch app for your real life smart phone to import them into New Horizons, or use the deluxe sewing machine in New Leaf.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Junpei posted:

You know I find it funny that two of the main Riders seen as the most boring are named Haruto and Aruto

I like Haruto.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Junpei posted:

And I like rice, but I can admit it doesn't really have a flavor, and that it's bland

Rice is distinctly rice flavored.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Larryb posted:

From what I understand, Gai will be on his way out soon to make room for our third and final villain of the season (though I’m not entirely sure who or what that could be).

I wish I cared. For real, it sucks being burnt out on this season.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Gripweed posted:

In retrospect it was an odd choice to spend so much time in the first episode establishing Aruto's dream of being a successful comedian, considering that he immediately abandons that dream when he gets a job at his granddad's company.

Actually I think they did a good job of that. He claims his dream is to be a comedian, but as the episode goes on it comes out that his dream is really just to make people happy. He realizes he doesn't have much luck doing that as a comedian, but is in a much better position to do that as Zero-One.

Then they never develop his character again.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Pyroi posted:

Also Apparently all Humagear data fits into 12 Progrise Keys? So what, did we already see every task a Humagear is programmed to do? Why on earth do we need Humagear beyond Aruto liking them? Like, if this was from Jin's perspective, this would be a whole lot better, because he IS a Humagear and has a stake in the fight beyond it just being a lovely thing to do to things that look 100% human. If Aruto loses this fight...well, he doesn't really gain or lose anything.

Can't wait for them to try and tell us that Gai's a good guy come the next arc.

If this continues to follow the Ex-Aid formula as it has so far, I honestly expect the "real" villain to be like Dan Masamune: someone we don't know who gets slapped in at the last ten or so episodes. gently caress I hate how stupid Dan Masamune was as a character.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Trogglodyte posted:

But Masamune had been in the show since episode 12.

Nah, I don't accept that. He was shown once in episode 12. Literally just "Hello, my name is Dan Masamune" and then nothing from him until the end. Build was the complete opposite of that. Evolt was established well before the third act to varying degrees, but he was definitely always a presence. Masamune was not. Masamune was just "poo poo, we've already wrote out Kuroto and Pallad as villains. Now what?"

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Trogglodyte posted:

He was shown in episode 12, having been imprisoned due to claims of being involved in Zero Day, with the implication that Kuroto framed him for it all. Literally any cursory experience in phase 2 Heisei Rider just adds more obvious signs.
-Masamune was slated as a new, recurring major character in the TV-kun scans he was revealed in, alongside Nico. Then conveniently just didn't appear all that time later, having not even been given flowers when even random guests of the week and both Kiriya and Kuroto got them?
-He's an older J-Pop singer of middling popularity. If they bother to put one of those guys in, they become a Rider. Happens every time. Koji Kikkawa? Skull. Mitsuru Matsuoka? Eternal. Ainosuke Kataoka VI? While not a pop singer, and instead a kabuki star, he still became two Riders! Mitsuhiro Oikawa? That Guy. This even continued into Zi-O, with ISSA becoming Barlckxs.
-His Rider form, Cronus, literally being named after the father of Zeus, a God. Conveniently, when that catalog went out to retailers, Kuroto started going all out on calling himself a god.
-As the Genius leak confirmed, this stuff is made before the first toy quarter is even over. Guess when Masamune appears? The end of the first quarter.
Masamune was planned in the long haul. The unplanned poo poo, I'd imagine, would be Kiriya's return, given all he got was a weird kitbash form and a very bland explanation in a Hyper Battle Video.
I think you're putting your own biases against the character (and trust me, I completely loathe him sans his presence in two specific episodes) and letting that bias determine reality instead of what was clearly presented surrounding the show.

I'm literally critiquing the writing. My own biases have nothing to do with it. Masamune appears for like two minutes in Episode 12, another two minutes in Episode 21, then he's never seen or mentioned again until Episode 32, leaving him only a dozen episodes at the tail end of the series to be the big bad. They established no attachment for this character at all before just dumping him on us in a "here, we wrote ourselves into a corner. Here's the baddy" moment. If Masamune was planned, they should have given us a reason to give a poo poo. Kuroto coming back was a big deal because they built him up. Masamune meant nothing because they didn't. Hell, Lovelica was more built up as a villain than Masamune.

If anyone is showing bias here, I'd have to put that on you. Don't try and excuse bad writing just because it's happened before apparently. I've never seen more than the first episode of Drive and wasn't interested, so I can't speak on that, and Build did the complete opposite from a plot standpoint, so that's not really applicable here.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Trogglodyte posted:

Except I'm not defending the writing, nor do I have any bias towards it. I found most of the usual Ohmori cliches to be better in Drive and Build than Ex-Aid. I'm simply saying Masamune wasn't unplanned and was not a byproduct of them going "Oh poo poo we don't have a villain" at the end of filming an episode - Parad was still active as a villain as far along as the episode Masamune appears. It's a recurring trend that grows retrospectively more apparent as time goes on based on how Ohmori, the one recurring presence throughout the production of all four of these shows, handles a plot.
They set his presence and they set a basic motivation for the character (getting back at Kuroto for imprisoning him), and that's quite literally all you need for introducing a character in the first quarter of the plot, and having their resolution towards the end. This is a completely normal writing convention the Japanese have used for centuries, and chances are several Japanese works you like have done it before, either better or worse. My defense here is not on quality, it's that he was not just suddenly shoved in unplanned due to a last-minute realization, this was planned far in advance. Ohmori did the same in Drive, and in Build, and is likely doing so now in Zero-One. As easy as it is to make fun of how ridiculous Toei production is, they work on these shows far in advance, to the point they can't just suddenly shove things in without there being some kind of foresight. By the time we see an episode air, they've already filmed at least two separate two-parters and are starting on the third. That's why those last second kitbash upgrades happen during the last couple of episodes: Since that's when they've finally had the time to prepare everything whilst working on every episode up until then.

A lot of your defense of this seems to rely on "but this is normal convention in Japan/with this writer/in this other series the guy did". If you have to rely on outside knowledge to make your plot make sense, you have done a bad writin'. For example, you cited that he's an aging j-pop star, and they always become riders. Cool, how is anyone taking this series without that knowledge supposed to know that? That's bad writing to rely on that little inside info to establish important plot points.

It looks like we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this. I felt Ex-Aid seriously suffered in its writing in areas like this despite being a good season overall, and it kept it from being a near perfect season on par with Build.

As for Zero One, if I have to guess, it'll probably be Aruto's grandpa or that humagear dad as the villain at the end. Probably the former since the movie already messed around with robot dad. I also predict Izu will become bad for an episode or two for whatever reason, ala Poppy.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Trogglodyte posted:

And that's perfectly fine, I wasn't trying to argue about quality here. My point initially made was "Ohmori always introduces the final villain well before the third act starts." I can even quote the part where I say exactly that. With Ex-Aid he was leaping through flaming hoops backwards for it, but he explicitly did do it. Quality is irrelevant there. All I know is, he's done all this before, and he'll do it again because he's a creature of habit.

As for who it will be, I was originally gonna guess Naki, since she was "namedropped" in episode 17 (during the start of the ZAIA chapter) when Horobi uses "Naki" as the term for "Dead" when talking about their "long-deceased member." But given she's a major plot point of the Project: Thouser series, that's down the drain for me. I'm definitely curious to see what hoops Ohmori leaps through for this one that Takahashi has to somehow figure out a decent justification for.

It's going to be the vice president.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Ain't no rules that says a Naki can't play basketball!

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Justin_Brett posted:

Dan Masamune ruled.

I wouldn't know, they never explored his character.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nah they did. He was fun.

Dan "Bobby Kotick" Masamune was a good piece of poo poo villain and it's fine if he wasn't an incredibly well rounded person, cause he diffidently didn't need to be and the story would only hurt to stop and try and humanize him instead of using him as a means to humanize the previous enemies.

They really didn't, but Ex-Aid was still a fun series regardless. Kind of on the border of good and alright on more the good side, but definitely well into the fun territory.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

I shouldn't have to view spin off media to get what I should have got in the show proper. Dan Masamune was just too generic for my taste, and none of the arguments I've heard so far have convinced me otherwise, and trust me, I do want to be convinced because it's one of Ex-Aid's few smudges in my opinion.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

None of that poo poo really matters to the plot nor to any of the characters in the show as written though. Like I said, there was no need nor point to stopping and flesh him out more than they did. He was the apotheosis of the bad aspects of both Dan Kuroto and The bugsters at large, a beast of human sacrifice in the form of pure capitalistic greed, something that often fucks over everything from, say, video games to medical research and treatment. You don't need to go "Also he hates his son for a second more personal reason and it's a bit tragic, anyway here's that tragic man teasing the fallen hero with brief glimpses of the woman he loves alive again."

I disagree. He was a flat character with confusing actions vs motivation and was pretty much just the "Mwahahaha! I'm the bad guy!" character. We don't need a tragic backstory, but I would like a basic "He is X and is doing Y because of Z". They don't do that competently with him. He hates Dan so he wants to kill all humanity? Alright? That makes no sense, gonna elaborate on that, writers? What, we're out of episodes? Okay.

And to clarify, I don't care if others like him and I'm not trying to poo poo on anyone for liking him. I'm not trying to come off as making GBS threads on anyone debating with me, I'm just having fun debating this.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Dan Masaume referred to people by their Gashat name and that's all I really needed.

This is the one thing I really enjoyed about him. That was a clever quirk.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Junpei posted:

This is too... cute? Funny? Neat? Heartwarming? Not sure what to call it...

I get the gist of it.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Oh yeah, I thought of praise for Zero-One to counter some of the (very valid) criticism.

It has a really good theme song.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Holy poo poo it took me until just now to realize Evol is just "love" backwards.

I thought it was just a weird pronunciation of "evil", like how Dragonball does all their names.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Darth TNT posted:

It also has kickass belts, jingles, suits, Fuwa, Jin and Iz. There's plenty to like. :)

I'm probably the minority of people who hate Izu.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

as long as she's around aruto never has to change or learn. it's like she's his dang mom.

A mom with the personality of a dead house plant.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

My problem with Gai is he dresses like an R&B singer but never lays down some smooth jams.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

You all know Gai is a humagear, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

A bad twist doesn't make a bad character good

I didn't say it did, I'm just predicting.

It makes sense kind of. Let me see how close I get.

Gai being so young looking is a result of him being a super advanced humagear, to the point Izu couldn't tell or something. We keep seeing Gai pushing the Zaia Specs, but we never see him use them (since he doesn't need them, being a humagear). The goal of Zaia Specs is probably mind control or something, which I assume wouldn't work on Humagears which is why he just wants to shut them all down.

This all sounds dumb enough to make me think it's right.

LastGoodBoy fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 11, 2020