Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
So when it was announced, Vanishing Line just looked like any old futuristic suspense thriller from the guys that brought you Shingeki no Bahamut. Turns out it's the next Garo anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
So even the cafe owner has a plot hook. This shows building a lot of promise.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Has anybody heard anything about Ultraman: Another Genesis? I read what I could from wikis, but it looks like it just ends on a cliffhanger?

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Elfgames posted:

man the Human memory would be loving horrifying

Nah, it'd probably be something lame like the Human UNDEAD from Blade.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Best part in Build 12 was the dancing Sento and cafe owner bit when they found out they didn't drop the matches and leave the door to the secret base open. Why would Sento even carry matches? He doesn't smoke. Maybe he's a pyro.

Garo Vanishing Line 08 just had an amazing fight that lasted the entire episode!

Highlights were:

Dark knight stabbing Luke, kicking him off a skyscraper, then deciding to jump down to stab him again in midair only for Luke to be saved by Motorcycle Zaruba!

When he gets serious, Sword drops his garoken and fights with his fists!

This was such a pleasant surprise because I'm still slowly working my way through Goldstorm. I'm pinning my hopes that Makai Tales is the be all end all anniversary series for Live Action Garo.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

dbzfandiego posted:

Right it was Kuuga that I watched not Kabuto, Kuuga had one hell of an ending. I decided to watch them all in order to see how the franchise has evolved since the begging of the Heisei era

Yeah, was wondering why someone would go straight from Kabuto to Agito.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Burkion posted:

Weirdly it's way more gratiutious to me than what they did in, say, season 1.

Season 1 had the first horror be topless briefly and then Queen Horror was naked but in a very unsettling artsy way, not in a 'sexy' kind of way.

The only nudity I remember in season 2 was that one mobster's girl.

I remember a fair bit more in season 3 though.

I just happen to be rewatching Flower of Makai, and there's a lot less nudity than I remembered. Even that one episode with the Insect Horror that focused mostly on that naked girl obscured the scandalous bits with camera angles, lens flare, and horror fx. Not that it's an entirely clean show though, pretty sure Eyrith's tits hang out in the final episode.

Makai Tales and the Gold Storms are clean, iirc.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm really starting to think that Blood Stalk doesn't actually have an endgame, and instead just has a powerful betrayal fetish of some variety.

Kamen Rider Build quick summary

Episodes 01-13: Introductory arc
Episode 14: Soichi Isurugi outed as traitor, betrays Sento
Episode 17: Blood Stark betrays Touto
Episode 22: Blood Stalk betrays Hokuto
Episode 29: Kamen Rider Stalk betrays Seito; all of Japan for some other world power (China? USA? Atlantis?!)
Episode 38: Kamen RIder Titan Stalk betrays the Earth. Mars arc begins
Episode 49: Betrays this Universe. Prometheus revealed to be from Tartarus. Pandora's origins explained

Movie:

Eponymous posted:

I want the Build movie to just be a series of vignettes where people keep trusting Blood Stalk for some goddamned reason, and he betrays them in more and more elaborate ways.

Blood Stalk HBV: Incredibly moving 15 minute backstory of how Soichi Isurugi fought to regain control of his body. Ambiguous ending betrays your expectations.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Kai ri
To ma
U mika

Kei ichiro
Sa kuya
Tsu kasa

Heh. Wonder if the surnames have something hidden too.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
So Garo Vanishing Line finished and I am quite satisfied with it. Ending was nice and sweet, all the major characters got epilogues and lots of little callbacks for minor ones.

Things I really liked:
-That Dark Knight did not need a long drawn out backstory. No need for a flashback to how and when he became a Horror. You could tell from his personality that it just naturally happened sometime.
-Mid season upgrade only shows up once in the middle of the season, then never again. That was pretty cool thinking back on it.
-Zaruba being snarky again. I did not realise until now how much I missed it since he was just mostly silent throughout the last few shows.
-Gun Kata. It's just cool in this setting. Rian is the only live action Makai Priest with a gun, yet never does anything similar.

I would personally place it at slightly above the median of all the Garo Series. Definitely above my least liked (The Ryuuga ones). Definitely not my favourite (Makai no Hana is). Somewhere a bit above when Zero phones it in (Black Blood) but still not as many highs as trippy Zero (Dragon Blood).

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Burkion posted:

Upgrades in Garo aren't the same as upgrades in Kamen Rider.

For Garo, they tend to be last minute plot device power ups entirely to get the hero out of some kind of jam that's often ridiculous in a bad way.

EVERY once in a while they earn them in a big way, like the original one which was Garo gaining wings, but generally they're better off without them at all.

Yeah, one and done final forms are great when they're cool looking and come at the final fight's emotional climax.

Kinda like how Ultimate Kuuga was handled.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Alright, so what things were different in OT's two versions of Build 29 aside from some extra credits in the OP?

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

It's a parody of TV-Nihon for April Fool's Day.

Ah, I just randomly ran through random parts of the episode. Didn't want to spoil any of the fights so I didn't read the subs. Just watched the op because it was new. Can't believe I missed the watermark. It's been there the whole time!

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Larryb posted:

More Ultraman R/B scans:

Ultraman has somehow crossed over with Shinkenger?

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't think he's a red herring but I don't quite understand the "Zamigo is our trump card, even if we can't get back all the Collection he'll be how we get our friends back."

It's just Super Sentai logic. By beating the monster of the week, everything regarding their plot always reverts back to status quo.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
So are scissors boys, or are they girls?

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Zedd posted:

Good creative use of props to spice up an otherwise boring set as well, and Sento's actor is doing a great job playing a different person again.

Putting all those mirrors on the ground was like daring the audience to try and look for the camera crew.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Coq au Nandos posted:

Yeah but only one Rider is an immortal god.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Kouta just wants to tend his planet-size garden :unsmith:

Huh. First thought was Dan Kuroto.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

gourdcaptain posted:

From what I've heard, magazine scans indicate he now has both sets of memories.

So you're saying he is now some sort of two in one rider. A Double Rider?

AtheistMantis fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 11, 2018

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
drat you Decade!!!!

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

V-Men posted:

That sure was a trailer for a Build movie

Yep, it's a zombie movie.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Larryb posted:

So a rumor regarding ZI-O's plot has surfaced:

So essentially Decade only (hopefully) done properly this time. Doesn't sound too bad if it's true.

Huh? Doesn't this sound really familiar? I must be Imagining things....

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
This week on Lupinranger vs Patranger: Shokugeki no Touma.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
To be fair, that is one sick as hell Green Ranger helmet.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

The Green almost works, everybody else is that box of generic dudes you got in the “Ranger Figure” box at the dollar store.

That's what I thought about Fiveman when I found this figure set one time in a Chinatown flea market. Lo and behold it was an actual sentai team.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

coconono posted:

oh poo poo, I thought Tsurugi showed up alive in the final credits of Kabuto, so i'm wrong about it being in a bunch of rider series finishes.

To be fair, it does happen a fair amount more than you remember too. You forgot Gaim for one, and I'm not sure but could you count Ghost? I never watched to the end, but I'm willing to guess he's not a ghost for the ending?

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
I...I don't think I can watch modern Ultraman anymore. I've tried all of them, and stopped midway. I just get so annoyed at how long the transformations have become. What happened to a good old Shuwatch! then jump cut? Last two series I liked and finished were Nexus and Mebius, so maybe I'm just being spoiled. I'll go back to finish Tiga, and maybe even Dyna if I feel like it, but goddamnit, I actually really liked the basic premise of Orb, X, Geed, and R/B, but I just can't sit through a transformation without it killing all interest in the episode.

Slowly also starting to get bored of the robot fights in Sentai too, like they're just obligations that never quite fit into the plot or have any cool sequences anymore. Last cool practical effect I can recall is the GoseiGreat sword being lit on fire. That was 8 years ago...

AtheistMantis fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 19, 2018

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Eh, I guess I just see two decades in that promo shot.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Just got around to watching the Ex-Aid Ending Trilogy. Forgot it took place in Seito University Hospital the entire time!

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

V-Men posted:

Holy crap definitely watch Decade first because Gokaiger is so good that you'll be ruining yourself if you watch Decade after Gokaiger.

And then watch Ultraman Mebius next because that was an anniversary show disguised as a regular show. Now it seems like every new ultraman is a regular shows disguised as an anniversary.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Nothing to watch so caught up on R/B. Something just feels off about the writing. Maybe I've been spoiled by Build and LuPat, but it feels like there's not a lot of thought being put into it compared to past Ultra shows.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Sure wish we didn't get so many flashbacks to things that happened like 5 minutes ago. It's all Zi-O's fault!

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Ignis posted:

Even if you hated Goldstorm, I really recommend you guys watch the GARO Kaminokiba movie. It's got more Decade, good choreography, and what's possibly the best tokusatsu gag I've seen this year.

I really liked everything that you mentioned, but felt like there wasn't much else of substance going on.

But man, that Kaminokiba -Jinga- trailer. You think it's gonna be Phantom Menace starring Decade, then BAM! "Chigau! Omae ga Horror da."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQnWbszv1K4

coconono posted:

I'm not really sure I'm up for 28 more episodes of this weird rehashing of old Kamen Rider tales. I kinda hope they speed it up and get to the actual Zi-O stories because I like the characters, but the rehash stuff sets off my nerd anger alarms. They just did Ex-Aid without any of the supporting cast that really made the show. Plus the path to get a watch into Zi-O's hand is convoluted as hell. Like maybe next time attach a note with your picture on it to make it easier Sougo.

I've been enjoying the supplementary stuff more than the actual episodes so far. So many good lines in 4.5 this week. I can't decide which is funner between:

There are so many spin-offs, I can't keep track of where the story's at...

If such simple terms vex you so, how do you expect to rule over time?!

EDIT: For double-post

AtheistMantis fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 25, 2018

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Fred is on posted:

What did the "shooting star" plot point have to do with anything? Maybe we'll find out next week, but it's weird to specifically bring up Ryusei when, as far as we know, his actor isn't coming back either.

The Ryusei School was a plot point in Faiz, but it's been so long ago, and Faiz didn't really have that coherent a long term plot, that I don't know how it was supposed to be a good clue from Woz.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

coconono posted:

this is making me want to watch Faiz again.

Open your eyes for the next Faiz.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Zio 6.5: "Sorry the Fourze arc sucked, blame BL**CH"

While a nice meta-joke, it kinda sours me even more on the main show. Gokaiger and Mebius definitely had the same problems getting returning actors. But those shows turned out great, because either they had enough influence to get back who they needed, or the writing ability to work around them.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
I really liked Jinga 00. The different opening narration sets my imagination ablaze!

Though I'm really confused why it's an episode 00. Might as well have been episode 1, I just hope that doesn't mean the rest of the series will be different in feel as if this was only a prologue?

"For a long time.." - unless the far future of the Ryugaverse is just modern day Japan somehow, he got reincarnated into an alternate universe! That's just so cool and filled with possibilities! Ryuga being far enough away will allow the new story to breath and do it's own thing.

I liked the Horror. Had some pathos, an origin, and reflected a conflict in the main character. Not just merely a gimmick enemy to pass the time. Hopefully this series will have a return to some good creepy psychological horror and some body horror too.

The turning point will have to be when (not if) they introduce this place's Garo. Ryuga would blow all accumulated goodwill because Shonen Friendship Protags just do terrible things to the laws of causality. Raiga would be a neat (short) cameo, because his story arc is over (In his movie, I assume). We've already had stoic badass Kouga, goody-two-shoes/"darkness! dead parents!" paladin/blood knight Ryuuga, and well-adjusted/happy yet supremely competent Raiga. What the show needs is a rival to play off Decade. Needs someone new. Maybe he's a huge rear end in a top hat. Garo has to be the strongest, so how about the strongest possible hypocrite?

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Caphi posted:

I don't know what this episode of Zi-O felt like but it wasn't a throwback episode in any sense, either good or bad. It could have been any given early episode of, like, W or OOO-era monkey's paw style Kamen Rider. Maybe it's because Wizard is too boring to spin anything out of, whereas even if you don't like e.g. Ex-Aid it actually has thematics you can invoke? Wizard's only aesthetic is "does spells" and his only theme is the most generic implementation of hope.

You know, it just occurred to me why Decade feels like a better throwback than ZiO so far: Decade had monsters. Mashing AU monsters and riders can't help but invoke at least some of the themes from the original show. Every Heisei Rider is a product of evil, but used for good. At least Decade got that.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Burkion posted:

This is the only adaptation that tackles the big twist of Guyver that I don't want to spoil, though its brief. It only happens at the very end, right before the Guyver becomes an Ultraman.

Gigantic was the first time I thought an upgrade form looked so ugly and poorly designed compared to the super sleek and efficient base form. The 52 foot tall Guyver gigantic exceed makes some sense of those proportions I guess, but on human scale it looks like a tall baby with shoulder pads and a lot of sharp edges. At least it had the one super rad daikaiju fight before scans became scarce.

Its been 12 years since and I'm guessing there have not been any new forms because somebody would have made a figure of it by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
I feel like I've been burning out on Toku lately. Last series I followed religiously was Build, and I finished Zyuohger eventually because it had decent story beats despite not liking any of the aesthetics.

I was really turned off by the first half of ZiO and first ep of Ryusoul.

I've been hearing good things here and there about Kiramager, now that it's done should I give it a go?