Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I watched an episode of Mebius and it isn't grabbing me yet.

I'm not gonna give up on it but I don't think I'm ready to make it a priority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm not convinced Gentoku is part of Faust.

That seems like a pretty obvious red herring.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

So what wasn't clicking with you on it yet, TFR?

I may be able to assuage some fears or adjust what to watch

I dunno.

It was alright I just didn't feel excited.

I have a lot more in my backlog than that so it just didn't grab me enough to shoot up the list.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't really think changing names is territory subs should get into. That feels more like dub territory.

But I respect the thought process that goes into it, as far as Gaim is related, at least.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I never said ya had to be 100 % faithful. I just believe, personally, 95 % of the time you should leave names and other proper nouns alone.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I just find it kind of arbitrary sometimes. I mean, you wouldn't translate Excalibur as "Awesomeblade", would you?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

That's the thing

It's entirely arbitrary.

It's super just up to the whim of the one who translates. Excalibur has so many different names due to translations it's ridiculous

I think there's a difference between different versions that existed based on local retellings of the story hundreds of years ago and translations made in a more global society centuries later where different aspects of culture, society, and history are more broadly disseminated, but that's just me.

For Gridon I can understand the necessity of preserving the joke, at least.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's not arbitrary as much as it's all juts played by ear because not every thing needs to be considered so closely when it comes to 'Do we translate it directly, localize it so the intent of the phrase or name is intact and as obvious in this language as it is in the original, or just leave it untranslated?' Turns out it's a topic requiring more nuance and deft handedness than just saying 'gently caress it leave all proper nouns the same.' Arbitrary means there's no real thought going behind it which is untrue of most translations.

Of course a good localization can actually improve a show. The Room Of Spirit and Time sounds magical, but in a really vague way that sounds like it could be a generic Zelda temple. The Hyperbolic Time Chamber sounds advanced and magical and explains exactly what the thing is and does right there in its name.

I guess what bothers me most is when it's something taken from or which draws from history or mythology. Like, I think 90 % of the people who are interested in tokusatsu and Japanese media in general are going to be aware of what "Sengoku Driver" is referencing. At that point it feels like you're doing it just cuz you can.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 5, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I see. I'm not sure that does a good enough job of communicating the meaning, personally, because I never picked up on that. But I shouldn't make excuses for my own ignorance, so I'll acquiesce.

I don't think Gaim's subs were bad, for the record, it was just a personal disagreement on a decision. Guys like Magenta and OT and other groups aren't, like, Commie and whatnot. Ya guys good.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's all anyone should ask, in the end. I just hope I don't sound too unreasonable myself.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I discuss this stuff to try and learn. This kind of stuff isn't exactly readily apparent across language barriers and decisions made multiple years ago, especially when wordplay is involved. It's not really that obvious on the surface.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

yeah, I'm not really trying to defend TVN here. They're flat out bad.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

In general, as far as attack names go, I prefer the approach that if some attacks are in Japanese, and some are in english (example, "Kamehameha" and "Final Flash"), you keep the Japanese ones the same to preserve that kind of duality.

DBZ is a weird case though because there's decades of history at this point and Toei and Bandai seem to want to keep/push a lot of older names like "Special Beam Cannon" for marketing/familiarity reasons even as the dubs have gotten more accurate.

But yes. "King Kai Fist" sounds lame.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Caphi posted:

The problem is that there is no hard and fast rule for this. It's something the translator has to decide based on their understanding of intent and tone. Sometimes the distinction you said is important; sometimes it's simply less important than the semantics. Sometimes Excite has to look at "Crimson Burst Dragon Blade" (or w/e) or "Guren Bakuryuuken" and make a judgment call on which sounds tryhard in a more appropriate way. Yes, that is usually subjective and can even be wrong. That's why it's a job.

Yeah, I know. I was just speaking towards a personal preference.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Kaioken sounds just as dumb because it's random noises to a non-Japanese speaker and in japanese it's literally just King Kai Fist.

would that not be how "Final Flash" sounds to a kid watching in Japan?

I mean, it's not just English in a lot of Japanese shows. Digimon is also for 10 year olds and it has creatures throwing around German and all sorts of other stuff Japanese kids wouldn't hear in the basic English classes they have in schools. Quite a few Precure attacks use French, so on and so forth.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah, I know about that sort of stuff. A lot of this stuff takes from stuff floating around in popular culture. English productions do the same thing with foreign words and surface styling of things too.

I just thing that it's worthwhile preserving that in localization some of the time. Obviously they're doing for the sake of what they perceive as "style" or a specific kind of appeal, so why not keep that to a degree? If you can argue that adapting something for the sake of conveying that like the "dai dai dai dai henshin" thing above, the same can be true of the inverse. It's like Caphi said, you have to take it on a case by case basis.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 5, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

How does it feel, being history's greatest monster?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

this talk of Gaim just reminds us that they wanted us to believe Kouta was from a down on their luck family struggling to make ends meat, and yet, they chose to dress Kouta in all kinds of designer clothes.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

gourdcaptain posted:

Still less weird than all the unique clothes Eiji in OOO has despite being literally homeless at the beginning of the series and working part-time for a restaurant after that.

for Eiji you could come up with the idea that he bought that stuff before he went on the road or traded for it in his travels. With Kouta it's just inexplicable and weird.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Cosmic States is great and I will not hear anything against it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SHOW ME YOUR COSMIC MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIND

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

kinda annoyed that we're getting the woman in refrigerators trope this early, but it's not enough to turn me off the show.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

it's not really Toei's decision here, it's all due to TV Asahi wanting to expand their news program and Toei just kind of having to go along with it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Kamen Rider will probably be fine because it reruns throughout the week.

Sentai tho...

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've only ever heard about Kamen Rider doing it, and Sentai doesn't have the "be sure to watch us again" bumper like KR does.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ignis posted:

Sentai has them, it's just that we never encode them in our raws because the encoder and the editor for sentai hate them :v:

ah, well thank you for educating me

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

It's possible I just grew up finally and stopped being a mentally stunted child

is this really neccessary

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm referring to the point where you used "stunted child". It sounds more like you meant a childlike sense of being able to believe anything, but the words you used have very different connotations and that's what I was reacting to.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Let's not kid ourselves that old sentai toys were particularly complex. I mean, the pteranodon from MMPR/Zyuranger isn't exactly what I'd call a complex design.

It's more that budgets have been affected by the rising cost of materials and some aspects of design, like diecast, have become more associated with collector lines.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

what? I admitted that he probably meant something other than what he said. I'm explaining why I read it the way I did. Because doing that on purpose legitimately isn't cool at all.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Production costs and cost of materials are also up, which means even if toys are simpler they're going to cost the same or even more.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

They future may well be in seinen toku like Garo, just because that's where the demographic is going.

Edit: Ultraman will probably be forever, though. The benefits of being a family show instead of a kids' show.

... Ten year olds and younger are watching Garo? Really?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That makes sense, but I don't think that necessarily means the kids that do exist are going to be abandoned. These franchises may take another form or change even more significantly, but I can't see a future where entertainment for kids is entirely abandoned.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

For all its difficulties, I think Sentai has more staying power than Metal Heroes. It's got a few more years left in it, at least, and if it gets cancelled anytime soon, I think there'd be some kind of revival before long. Whether it's still a kids' focused property, maybe, maybe not, but who knows.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

some would make accusations that Sentai already reached that point at some part of its lifespan, but I digress. Either way, the market of the 90's isn't the same as the market of 2017 so who knows what'll happen.

I also imagine the partnership with Saban is helping keep it going, especially now that the american team is giving input on designs. And they count money made by PR when posting about Super Sentai's annual and quarterly revenue.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

Okay, well, the next episode is called "Stinger's reunion with his brother" or something like that so it sounds like bad timing. I've been watching this show go through a lot of nonsense about stuff like stolen birthdays and bad luck and one episode that was like the toku equivalent of Don Corneo's mansion in Final Fantasy VII (right down to the "hot" crossdresser) so it's been pretty goofy so far.

You compared this to Abaranger, right?

I've seen a bit of Abaranger. It's not exactly all in the same vein as AbareKiller's storyline. In fact, Kyuranger falls short of just how goofy Abaranger can be by comparison.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Green Buster, dammit.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ignis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AfPmIEKlu8

I like that he did it in character. :swoon:

it's 9/13 in Japan right now

those fuckers

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The SIC designs are too busy for me. Like, I get what they're going for and I don't begrudge them, they just don't meet my personal tastes.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've seen them. Still not really my bag.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

did SIC ever do Super TaToBa?

I'm just curious because I'm like one of the five people who liked that base design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

huh. Neat.

Not sure I like that approach to the hawk head, but it's more interesting to me than most SIC stuff is

Thanks, Burkion