Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
The first Kamen Rider of the Reiwa Era has been confirmed by Toei to be announced on July 17th. This was mentioned already today, but I thought the confirmation video might be good to showcase.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgCqN0ZOtg
There's not much to really glean from this beyond some of the general oddities of this video even existing. Namely the part where the announcement event was publicly confirmed so far in advance - from what I've usually seen they're privately confirmed with various press outlets but they only are open about it within maybe a few days before the conference. In addition, usually toy catalogs have been distributed to merchants that reveal general information about the design and maybe the basic premise - but this again doesn't seem to be the case this year - all we have is a silhouette from the last batch and a confirmation of the collectible's price and general "shape."

There's also the content of the video itself implying a sci-fi theme with the woman's strange earpieces - it might also give a hint to Zero One's design given all the blue that's adorning the scene, including her eyes and a weird sticker on her collarbone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
My guess is they wanna try and outpace any potential leaks after some editor leaked a bunch of info about the Cross-Z V-Cinext, the Super Sentai Strongest Battle, and Ryusoulger and some idiot sending toy catalog scans to Shirakura while advertising his podcast.
It's good coverage for them so that they can possibly pick out more people on the leak pipeline, like they likely did back when the Grease V-Cinext press conference was happening and they hinted at knowing about the aforementioned editor who leaked poo poo.
Of course, that doesn't stop some people from still thinking they've got "leaks"(Read: Speculation from 5ch) and need to talk about them like they're the human incarnations of Jefusion posts from 2012.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
I think the big deal was more that they probably have been wanting to restructure because of the fact the leaks weren't just toy catalog stuff anymore, though that likely compounded when people were sending toy catalog scans to Shirakura (Who straight up said people shouldn't know about them - though that might just be more Shirakura being as tone deaf as ever).
When a guy is going online posting multiple images of unreleased footage of your upcoming movie plus details about your next two upcoming shows plus how one of said shows might be the death of the franchise if it fails plus potential plans on other upcoming movies (including the main toy for one of said movies), they probably decided things need to change. Even leaking that Sentai's flagging in popularity and could end after Ryusoulger is a huge thing, because that might motivate other production companies to try and capitalize on the gap made by a lack of Super Sentai (From copycat shows to just trying to compete for that timeslot), which could cost Toei and Bandai a lot of money in the long run. And this is all after some guy in Bandai Asia took a picture of Build's final form all the way back in early Q2 and put it on Snapchat.
So now they're likely trying to be more proactive on information releasing and trying to set more visibly clear boundaries on what people should know and when they should know it. That way if leaks come out, they might have a more clear view of what the pipeline is, including when it hits merchants scanning toy catalogs. Japan does take leaks a lot more seriously than in the U.S., even posting pictures can get you arrested - it's why a lot of Japanese leakers tend to only release info via text.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
The first episode of Zero-One was quite an experience. Strong start and just a lot of moments that made me blurt out "What the Hell" because of how sudden or out of nowhere something is or was. Aruto watched his dad die right in front of him as a child, several members of the Board of Directors are genuinely pissed off and against the notion of Aruto becoming CEO AND ARUTO ACTUALLY AGREES WITH THEM, the Magia have horrifying transformations, Jin is an absolute psychopath who guns down one of the rogue Humagears/Magia he created, Isamu's outright genocidal with Humagears to the point he ignores orders and just blasts rogue ones without second thought and good golly he is extremely efficient at it, and they keep interspersing it with Aruto being a goofy moron as a way to get you to let your guard down before slapping you upside the head with something else. It's a strong start if solely for the whiplash it kept causing me as the episode progressed. The relatively calm point at the end didn't feel like a sweet resolution, it felt like pillow talk after getting plowed nonstop. I loved it.

Also the Rising Impact was the best base form Rider Kick since the SpeeDrop, no one's changing my opinion on this. I never expected such a clean and clear Rider Kick. I haven't been so sold on a series so quickly in so long. I think the last time was Kamen Rider Agito years ago. It also helps the 3DCG's finally evolved from PS1 era to about late PS2 era.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

Tragedienne posted:

CEO: Cornedbeef Executive Officer

I was talking to someone who compared Aruto to Banjou, and honestly if he keeps getting shirts this dumb I'm all for it.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

Xelkelvos posted:

Obviously his "Dad" is a Humagear in the flashback so it's either he's adopted or his original parents died and were replaced and both have a lot of meat for tragic flashback stuff.

Honestly, given Aruto's consciousness being altered by the satellite so he can process the entire Zero-One Driver tutorial in 5 seconds, and his "dad" being a HumaGear, and is likely from Daybreak Town, I think it's a bit more complicated. We're only one episode in, but the fact the Metsuboujinrai guys were waiting to start the Magia plan AFTER Kurenosuke Hiden died, while Kurenosuke's will explicitly predicts that the HumaGears will inevitably go rogue, makes it feel like we're in the middle of yet another "Paternal figure engaging in extremely complicated long-term plans that causes the monsters to attack" plotline that the chief producer Ohmori loves doing.
-Drive had Banno abusing and radicalizing the Roidmudes before giving them the tools and means to start the first and later the second Global Freeze
-Ex-Aid had Masamune cultivating Kuroto just for the purpose of creating Kamen Rider Chronicle (And also there was Kiyonaga Hojo in the novel but that's not really Ohmori - but that was written by Yuya Takahashi, who's the main writer for Zero-One)
-Build had Evolt acting as a sort-of father to Sento for a while in order to build him up into a Kamen Rider, while also taking advantage of Misora, and also technically being Banjou's father kinda, and then there's Shinobu and his whole ordeal with helping Evolt.

The real question is this gonna be an Astro Boy situation where Kurenosuke just wanted to make a hero, or is he gonna try and just posthumously take the powers of the Zero-One Driver and Progrise Keys for himself?

The fact we were given so much to speculate on really makes Zero-One's world so much more interesting. There's several obvious retreads from Ohmori's Heisei shows, but he seems to have honed them into something much more stand-out. Like, Ohmori's shows all start with some big inciting incident (Global Freeze, Zero Day, Sky Wall Catastrophe) but they always gave the big core details up front - the world froze and the Roidmudes went on a rampage, the Bugsters started properly manifesting and killing people, Pandora's Box produced the Sky Wall and introduced Nebula Gas to the world - before divulging on little twists and mysteries of who caused it and who was effected, but basically not much room to speculate. We have no clear idea what happened to Daybreak Town, and what little we know is through vague comments and visuals with no actual declaration of what it really is. The town's mostly destroyed, a satellite's sunk in the ocean, Aruto might have been there with his father when said father died, and Isamu Fuwa might also be from Daybreak Town, though all that's confirmed from the official websites is that a HIDEN-related explosion left him injured. This open-endedness really makes you wanna speculate and keep watching to find the truth.

I genuinely think if none of the production crew screw the pooch, this is definitely gonna be an amazing breech into the new era.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
Toku 3DCG can only be two out of the following three:
-Fast
-Cheap
-Pretty
And given "pretty" 3D models isn't necessary to convince kids to go buy the toys, they go for the one that lets them pump out as much as possible. It should be noted Rider shows film about 3-5 episodes in advance, and they come out weekly without much in the way of breaks (Sometimes they have off-weeks due to relay races or golf, but that's maybe 2-3 times a year at best), meaning they need to get several episodes' worth of CG scenes rendered as quickly as possible - so they won't be arsed to produce decent lighting/shaders for what will usually only be 30 seconds at a time with the limited time and resources they have - though this results in some goofy things like Grease's Rider kick or the car jump in Zero-One. Though I will say they've definitely improved over the years - ten years ago the CG was more on par with an N64 cutscene, now it's more like an early PS2 in-game model.

As for why Taiga looks so much better: Don't quote me on this but from what I can tell due to New Generation Ultraman's shorter episode counts and breaks between seasons, they can produce and render the models with good lighting and shaders far in advance and have the tools already there for when production of the season properly begins. It also helps that a lot of the TsubuPro team are aces in the tokusatsu industry from a production standpoint. Even with lower budgets or limited scope, the effects and action are always going to be stellar.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
In other news, it seems a portion of the invoice for Zero-One's second quarter toy catalog has been posted by CSToys Japan.
Among its contents, there's the Zaia ThousanDriver, which is used by Kamen Rider Thouser. It also reveals two of the Legend Rider Progrise Keys: Rider Timing Zi-O and Kamen Riding Decade. This can also be found on a few toy sites online, but who knows if they put it up in response to the invoice or if they had it written in advance already. Image of the invoice is in the spoiler.

Edit: The invoice comes specifically from CSToys, so I'm not sure if it's really an intended leak or if it's just them promoting preorders.

Trogglodyte fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 4, 2019

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

Failson posted:

Also I can't make out the rest of the english phrase.
Full transformation is:

Authorise!
Kamen. Rider.
Kamen. Rider.
ShotRise! Shooting Wolf!
The elevation increases as the bullet is fired.

Also, I assume it's werewolf because a regular wolf can't hold a gun, obviously.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
So Zero-One episode 2 kept up the momentum of the first episode with that same pace of "All comedy and calm build-up is purely to lower your guard with multiple sucker punches of varying qualities."
Aruto making goofy stand-up while being investigated by A.I.M.S. for the recent Magia problem? Simple, follow it up with an innocent deliveryman getting Metsuboujinrai'd and told to kill every human.
Aruto having a heart-to-heart with a kind security guard HumaGear for protecting people from the deliveryman Magia? That one's a double-whammy. Because it's followed up with Isamu telling Aruto about a horrific robot apocalypse - complete with flashbacks to show us in detail - he lived through, and at the same time that same kind security guard gets taken over by the Zetsumeriser as well.
And it just builds on that, and replaces the shocking sucker punches with hype ones. Aruto reaffirming to himself his love for HumaGears while Isamu reaffirms his hatred of them, all while giving these heavy-handed but excellent passionate speeches before they each transform. And then it gets even more hype with Vulcan's transformation because he just loving rips open the Progrise Key and the transformation involves him punching a bullet out of the air!
And the fights, oh goodness. Every fight this episode was even better than the fight we got last episode. Nawata, being a young buck compared to the now old and nearly-retired Takaiwa, has a lot more capacity for acrobatics and it shows. The show's maintaining strong promise, I'm beyond excited.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also the images are blurry so it's hard to tell what Keys he uses (I think one's "Amazing Caucasus")

He uses Amazing Caucasus Progrise Key (Interesting given the Q1 catalog showed us an Amazing Hercules key) and an Arsinoitherium Zetsumerise Key, nameed as "Awaking Arsino."

Overall breakdown of the Thouser stuff:
Thouser inserts the Arsino Zetsumerise Key into the ThousanDriver, which starts the jingle of "Zetsume(Extinction) Evolution!"
He then opens the Amazing Caucasus Progrise Key, which has the jingle of "Break Horn!" (Caucasus' ability)
He then inserts the Progrise Key and I assume activating the transformation, which has the jingle of "PerfectRise!" - followed up by the text-to-speak jingle "As five horns meet, the golden soldier THOUSER is born. Presented by ZAIA."
Finishers seem to be the prefix of the adjacent Progrise Key and then "Break." Normally it's "Amazing Break," but they show off that the regular Progrise Keys (Caucasus is clearly a little different, same with Arsino's Zetsumerise Keys) produce "BreakRise" followed by "Progrise Break!"

His comically large sword, the Thousand Jacker, yells "JackRise!" when the little ring at the bottom is pulled. In general it seems like Thouser's gimmick is "Breaking."

Altogether it ties in together pretty interestingly with a theory I had about Zero-One's motifs: Evolution and extinction turned into products. It's pretty clear a lot of the core "idea" of Zero-One is progressing, symbolized by evolution and mostly modern animals in Progrise Keys (Mammoth is just there to sell a mecha and will be as relevant as the TimeMazines, let's be real), and the Metsuboys and the Magia are stuck in the past and are using extinct (zetsume) animals. This is shown a bit in the show as well with the modern HumaGear looking like humans and the HumaGears from Daybreak looking and moving more like monkeys.

Now here comes Thouser, breaking that boundary by using Progrise and Zetsumerise Keys at the same time and codifying the motif in a more apparent fashion. Especially more interesting given a lot of little design flairs on Thouser are fairly similar to Zero-One (compare the lines on the tops of their helmets and forearms), and uses an insect as his preliminary Progrise Key - but it actually isn't his primary key, his Zetsumerise Key is since it's the one shown to not swap out for any finishers.

He's a bootleg of Zero-One powered by the past disguised as the future, and whoever Zaia is seems to be trying to really market him as a superior. It's even in the name! How many weird exotic bootleg games have "1000-in-1" in the name/selling point even though it's all a bunch of cheaply edited NES roms you swap through via some clunky menu?

Edit: Just added image link for Amazing Hercules key to prove I wasn't just hallucinating the existence of it.
Edit 2: Turns out it's Awaking Arsino, not just Arsino.

Trogglodyte fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 11, 2019

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
Looks like Gridman (1993) might get a proper physical release in the West. And if it's MillCreek handling it, we'll finally have an English translation that isn't a full-on adaptation like SSSS and doesn't have subs on par with some flea market bootleg.

Trogglodyte fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 14, 2019

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

Larryb posted:

Speaking of Gridman, did its anime sequel ever get a physical release?
Yes, 4 BD/DVD Volumes. I'm not sure of the contents of all of them, but for Volume 1 it's
-A booklet
-Episode 1 storyboard
-Commentary on each episode, with director Akira Amemiya and producer Masato Takeuchi
-Art collection by designer Masaru Sakamoto
-Tickets to a special event held on February 3rd 2019 (Only included with Volume 1) (We're far past Feb 3rd)
-Cast commentary (Episode 1)
-Staff commentary (Episodes 2-3)
-Voice Drama CD directed by Akira Amemiya
-Gridman design drawing jacket by Masayuki Goto
-Digipak & three-sided case
Probably similar for each BD release. Bear in mind these are Japan only from what I can tell, so importing will be a little pricey - but if Denkou Choujin's getting a MillCreek release, the anime might also get one.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
Denkou Choujin Gridman is in an odd limbo for me. At its worst, it's pretty bad. At its best, it outdoes not only its contemporaries (I say this as an intense fan of Dairanger), but most tokusatsu shows that came after it. While I'm usually of the inverse opinion for this specific problem in SSSSG, DCG does have the problem of making the villain the most substantial and interesting character. While I do think DCG in general did quite a few things better than SSSG, I'll admit that's more due to having a higher episode count, and its downswings are more just due to production troubles and executive meddling - we never got Gridknight or Sigma proper in DCG, even though both were planned. The main reason SSSG works out so well is because it's basically filling out the original sequel plans for Gridman F, which sort of aligns with my opinion that if DCG actually got to flourish on its ideas instead of cutting nearly everything, it'd be a much better show.

Trogglodyte fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 14, 2019

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
Zero-One episode 3 seems to be the start of the momentum slowing a little. The contents of the episode itself for the most part didn't feature a lot of headturning surprise sucker-punches. The OP, however, was very visually pleasing and revealed quite a few things, like nice close looks at Kamen Rider Horobi and Kamen Rider Jin. Oh, and Izu with long hair bleeding HumaGear blood. Seems like she's gonna pull a Misora sort of twist and be more important to the plot than one migh tthink.

Also, it's pretty obvious that the guy monologuing in front of Yua while placing chess with himself with his face obscured by shadows and camera angles after learning Aruto's secret identity in some sort of weird "All according to plan" fashion is Thouser. It's the kind of theatrics that suit and belt jingle would be all for.

But hey, Vulcan gets stupid gorilla hands next week and that makes up for it because he looks so wonderfully dopey.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

HIJK posted:

I like crime dramas and boyfriends and soap operas do tickle my fancy...tell me more

On the topic of boyfriends and soap operas, Kuuga literally made shockwaves in Japanese entertainment with the portrayal of the two male leads. Any boys' love anime or drama you see today, and the reason a lot of any tokusatsu since then has a lot of hot drama between two prettyboys, did so because of Kamen Rider Kuuga. The reason for this is called the Odagiri effect(after the name of Kuuga's protagonist's actor, Jo Odagiri), where doing this had a huge boost in ratings from female demographics.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
It's often-time the moms who buy the toys for the kids, so it's an obvious demographic in the long run.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
Valkyrie's in-suit action was done by Satoshi Fujita. The man's made himself an absolute legend so far in the past 5 or so years. Prior to Gaim, he was mostly just feminine monsters or the odd mook monster, though he did get to be one of the Mages. With Gaim, he was the understudy suit actor to Minami Tsukui (He mainly did some of the more physically dangerous/acrobatic stunts so as to mitigate the chances of Minami pulling a Fujioka during a stunt) and suddenly he just started escalating from there. He became a frequent suit actor for MotW Roidmudes (And Shinobimaru in Ninninger), followed by being the suit actor for all of the Level 1 suits in Ex-Aid and within the same season being promoted to being Kiriya's suit actor. Did you ever notice how weirdly agile Lazer Level 3 was in that bulky armor? All him! It's his specialty!

Then he moved onto being Kamen Rider Grease where they really let him flaunt his stuff - Grease is one of the most acrobatic Riders in years (Rivaled only by a couple Riders who were both portrayed by Watanabe Jun, who's now the action director for Zero-One!) capable of leaping and flipping and doing a few pro-wrestling moves without breaking a sweat. Valkyrie seems to be a re-invigoration of his over-the-top acrobatic style, and I really hope he manages to outdo his amazing work as Grease.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

Craptacular! posted:

it’s just finally throwing all pretense aside and Dragon Balling as hard as it can.

I don't think there will ever be any more Dragon Ball a sequence than Utsumi using his crazy cyborg power to go all the way to Phase 4 on his own, complete with DBZ action sequences and nearly beating Evolt by himself and the closest we've gotten to competition was the Rising Impact scene in Zero-One 01.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

Burkion posted:

This was the last series Ishinomori had a direct hand in, as he did extensive planning and design work for it before his passing.
I'm still not sure where this rumor comes from, because it's almost wholly false and I can't find a single printed source anywhere that says Ishinomori had any sort of direct hand in Kuuga's creation beyond the initial commissioning of a new Kamen Rider TV series. Ishinomori's last tokusatsu work he had a direct hand in was in 1998 with Voicelugger, a tokusatsu series centered around famous Anisong singers (And Tomokazu Seki). As for Kamen Rider, the Shin/ZO/J movies didn't have much involvement from him besides character designs and a basic "What is this Kamen Rider and what does he do?" explanation (And even then, the various things that make those movies stand out in terms of quality are more accredited to Keita Amemiya, a legend in his own right).

Any amount of research can conclude that Ishinomori was dead-set on several projects that were all canceled or heavily changed due to either illness or a change in opinion (In the case of the aforementioned Voicelugger, which became less of a Sentai parody): A Bijinder movie that was canceled due to his lymphoma worsening; an Arashi revival that was cancelled, uncancelled, cancelled again, repurposed into a separate tokusatsu show about music demons, before being repurposed again into Kamen Rider before starting preproduction; and a Hakaider TV series (Which Amemiya would later help turn into the movie Mechanical Violator Hakaider).

Due to these cancellations and changes, he decided that he could not work on everything on his own, so instead he asked for several of his students and fellow character and machine designers (Among which were: Masato Hayase (Who had designed 9 different Heisei Kamen Riders since Kuuga), Toshio Sato, and Daizyuzin designer Tsuyoshi Nonaka) to do the primary work on the next Kamen Rider project whilst he focused on what he wanted to be his magnum opus: God's War. This meant he had very little involvement in Kuuga. Most accreditation for Kuuga's non-preproduction work can be put on Masato Hayase, Shigenori Takatera, Shinji Oishi, and Naruhisa Arakawa. Most of the "planning and design work" Ishinomori did were for other Kamen Rider projects, most of which have never seen the light of day. Those projects include:
-Masked Rider Gaia (Which got dropped entirely due to the fact TsubuPro were working on an Ultraman Gaia series of their own, though its drafts were adapted into its own novel series courtesy of Masato Hayase and Naoyuki Konno)
-Masked Rider XV(Cross-V), which from what anyone can tell is completely undocumented beyond a name and a TBS announcement)
-Masked Rider Kawakami (Same as above, no real information about it I can find)

I've never been fond of this kind of misinformation, since it devalues the work and effort put in by everyone else who was actually working on Kuuga beyond hiring designers. If there's anyone you should specifically credit for Kuuga's grit, most Japanese fans tend to point to a mix of Takatera and Arakawa. Takatera likes producing "grounded" tokusatsu in the sense there's a human approach to things (The police procedural nature of Kuuga, and how Hibiki actually works as a tracker and hunter to find Makamou instead of just immediately running to where they are as though he already knew), and Arakawa knows how to write particularly intense or grim scenes without feeling too edgy (In addition, tokusatsu writer Sho Aikawa credits Arakawa enough for his influence on Kuuga to the point he specifically sought Arakawa's insights on Kuuga-related lore when he was working Wizard 52&53).

Trogglodyte fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 16, 2019

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
Gaoranger always reminded me of Zyuranger in the context of "God" not only being a semi-relevant character to the setting/plot, but also being kind of a useless rear end in a top hat. Though Daizyuzin's nature as a useless rear end in a top hat is a bit more entertaining there because he does a lot of random 180s that I can't help but laugh at - plus he does at times try to be useful.
"Geki, kill Burai."
"No, Burai can be redeemed!"
"I said kill him, you bleeding heart idiot, he's trying to kill you all and is going to die anyway."
"No, look at us posing together!"
"...Sure! He's the sixth now, I'll even free him of his horrific death curse!"

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

Larryb posted:

Burai was never freed from his death curse but otherwise agreed.
IIRC Daizyuzin temp-revived him so that he could actually be the sixth, but he did end up still dying later, yeah.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
I missed a lot of portions of today's Zero-One episode, so I can't give too much insight on it, but it seems to be closer to the momentum of episodes 1 and 2 instead of 3. Big loredump on Daybreak Town, plus a pretty dark background for one of the victims of the week. Punching Kong is actually legitimately one of the better "Let's give this Rider suit big stupid dopey fists he can't properly use weapons with" forms sans the finisher if by nature of the fact Watanabe Jun knew how to choreography the Trilobite Magias (The grunts of the season) getting knocked around like bowling pins from big monkey fists. There's a lot more, but it'd be much more spoiler territory to cover I suppose. Though I did notice one thing:
ZAIA appears to be a rival corporation. Its logo appears during an exposition sequence on some of the businesses in the setting. The rest of the businesses are references to past Rider shows, like "Data Wave" for W and Heaven's Gate (Ten Do) for Kabuto but written in a Hibiki format, which is cute.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

Blaze Dragon posted:

Children are pretty drat evil.
No wonder Evolt doesn't hold back against them.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
In other news, it's been confirmed who Kamen Rider Horobi's suit actor is!
Seiji Takaiwa, because apparently he just refuses to retire.
https://twitter.com/_ladyeve/status/1175596306774949888

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

Failson posted:

Bus kid's Dad sacrificed himself, and Daybreak Town by blowing up the town's reactor(??) to prevent the HumaGear infection from spreading. Is that what happened? Honestly, touching scene with the Tour Guide HumaGear staying alive just long enough to pass along the message, then getting zapped.

Really enjoying the soundtrack too. Does each series get a new one, or do they reuse tracks from year to year?

Upon rewatching the raws, that's about as much as I could immediately infer. Basically just a self-destruct sequence to stop the "epidemic," and Horobi using it as an instance to peddle Metsuboujinrai.net's relevance to it all because even the terrorists feel the urge to shill their product in this show!

As for soundtracks, there's new OSTs composed every year. Zero-One's is slightly similar to Ghost's since they share a composer, Go Sakabe (It's most apparent with I think the theme for Jin, with all the chanting and very eerie tone) - but the composers change every year. Most recently, Build had the legend Kenji Kawai, and Ex-Aid had ats-. Though they do sometimes mix tracks up very rarely - the most infamous in recent memory is during Kamen Rider Grease's debut, they accidentally played a Kyuranger song.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
Someone pointed out the best detail I somehow missed from today's episode.
The katakana that appears for all the finishers in Zero-One seem to be actual real things that are made by the attacks, and just loving fall out of the sky after it's over.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
Apparently Kamen Rider Build NEW WORLD: Kamen Rider Grease is the most successful film release in the history of Kamen Rider spin-offs. You know what that means: More V-Cinexts!
https://twitter.com/muto_shogo/status/1174635778753744896

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
I honestly like the dismissal of secret identities. Normally these secret identity plotlines go on for ages (if not the entire show), and all it does is lead to the same tried and "true" misunderstandings-centric plots where a resolution could easily be found if the protag and deutags actually were open about their Rider identities and could clear the waters, and no one figures it out even with all the obvious signs (W is the worst offender of this). Isamu constantly trying to kill Aruto just because he wears a different looking suit and doesn't talk about it would've gotten dull by episode 5, so Aruto just straight-up showing Isamu that he's Zero-One and he's trying to do good, and now they can cooperate without one of the various games of telephone. If they have any clashes, which they will, it's gonna be over ideals instead of "I don't recognize this guy and he won't tell me who he is so let's hit him!!!" which has been done to death before.

Same goes for the Metsuboujinrai.net plot - the fact Aruto is being proactive and confirming their involvement in events that would otherwise blackball HIDEN is a good way to mitigate dumb falseflag plotlines. It leaves the company politics to the actual companies, like the upcoming ZAIA.

Having un-muddied waters about the group dynamics so early on in general is just good for the introduction of the full plot, it means that come the start of Q2 by episodes 12-14, they can introduce a proper twist that breaks an established status quo. All the Omori seasons have done something like this, where the initial conflict promoted is clear but not the real full ordeal, which is only lightly alluded to throughout that first quarter ("The Roidmudes are back in action to try and restart the Global Freeze to kill all humans - wait they're being led by a guy called Banno who was involved in their creation?", "The ten Gashats are needed to develop a proper way to cure the Bugster virus - wait Dan just made that up so he could gather all the data necessary for Kamen Rider Chronicle and render himself immortal!?", "Sento has to gather the Full Bottles to unlock the secrets of the mysterious panel while fighting Faust - wait the guy who helped him become a Kamen Rider is working for Faust and was using Sento to refill/repower the Pandora Box!?"), but Zero-One seems to be the cleanest and smoothest attempt of it. It'll probably be revealed by episode 12 or 13 that ZAIA is funding/arming Metsuboujinrai.net or vice versa for the purpose of eliminating HIDEN. And even with that much of a twist being predictable, we have absolutely no way of knowing what will happen leading up to that and what happens after it.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
The "Masked" Riders distinction for the Metsubois is either because of the fact they literally have masks strapped to their helmets as seen in a few close-up shots, or because they're using a 12 year old Rider system, and 12 years ago Kamen Rider's branding was as "Masked Rider."

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

But what the gently caress are they trying to say with "the elevation increases as the bullet is fired?"
Recoil. You know, after the bullet is fired, the barrel of the gun elevates.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

Geostomp posted:

Okay, now explain "spread your wings and prepare for a force".
Flying Falcon is, well, a falcon. Do you know what falcons do? They fly. Fast. They fly very fast, specifically so they can ram into their prey and insta-kill them with what might as well be a falcon punch. A peregrine falcon can reach speeds of roughly 240 miles per hour. The peregrine falcon is roughly anywhere from 3 to 4 feet tall. Imagine something about the size of a 5 year old child (On average about 3.5 feet tall) though admittedly at half the weight (Due to birds being lightweights in order to actually FLY) slamming into you at 240 miles per hour. Quite the force right there with the speed backing its mass. Now imagine that same amount of speed, but now the mass is now that of a 5'9" screeching twink in power armor. That's a lot of force! The jingle is not an explanation, it's a warning!

Trogglodyte fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 26, 2019

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
I ended up missing today's Zero-One episode, so I can't really opine on it. However, I can confirm since Toei announced it, the fictitious manga in the show was designed by actual mangaka Masato Hisa (Also Kyuranger, LuPat, and Ryusoulger's monster designer)! Hisa's also a fan of Kamen Rider, to the point his currently running manga is basically Kamen Rider set in ancient Japan based around the Ainu/Yamato conflict. Please check it out, it's called Kamuya Ride and it is one of the most stylish manga I've seen in a while.

And in other news, look who's back for the Geiz V-Cinext!
https://twitter.com/toei_rider_ZIO/status/1178142450323509249

Trogglodyte fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 29, 2019

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

And eventual mid season upgrade but Tiger is the last 'normal' one for 01[/spoiler]
His last one is actually Freezing Bear. It looks okay but it's not particularly interesting compared to Flaming Tiger.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
Oh, and on another Zero-One tangent: Suit actor credits have been put up for the next episodes. Based on order of creditation (Which up until this point has been Zero-One, Vulcan, and Valkyrie's suit actors in order), two more have appeared:
Seiji Takaiwa, who we know is Horobi
And Eitoku, who is likely (based on appearance in credits) playing Jin.
Given the fact they're both portraying Riders called Masked Riders and not Kamen Riders, and use tech from 12 years ago, I wonder if this is all meant to be part of a more elaborate homage. Before Decade, Kamen Riders were officially romanized as Masked Riders. From W onwards, they're Kamen Riders. This is maintained even in future crossovers, such as Kamen Rider #4 where Kamen Riders Drive and Mach are accompanied by Masked Riders Faiz and Zeronos.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh by the way, the whole Masked Rider thing was contradicted by another source that used Kamen Rider for them
Yeah, Uchusen's "Detail of Heroes" preview. TV-Kun magazine is the one that used the "Masked" denotation instead of "Kamen." So right now the two countering sources are just magazines of similar levels in terms of being official material. We'll likely get actually official word on it next week once the Kamen Rider official site puts up Horobi or Jin's concept art, since the actual pages for those tend to have the names in English alongside Japanese.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
That's the Uchusen preview of Detail of Heroes.
This is the TV-Kun source for "Masked Rider."

Again, we'll have a proper answer this weekend as to which one is actually right.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
Build and Ex-Aid had a myriad of joint-part episodes (Mostly two parters, though Build had two separate three-parter episodes and the end-game is completely serial) between the both of them. So did Ghost and Drive.
I'd also just like to note people were similarly excited about Ghost foregoing two-parters (Some people even being concerned with how rushed and over-packed the episodes felt) in most of the first quarter, especially after Drive had quite a few all the way up to end-game, meaning this exact same scenario has happened before, just with Ghost and Drive instead of Zero-One and Zi-O.

My point here is wait until the end of Q1 (Some time around New Years) before we start celebrating the death of two-parters. Recent Rider shows tend to have mostly episodic first quarters to help focus on toy marketing before becoming more serial or using two-parters so as to mitigate the number of beat-for-beat entirely new plot threads they have to work on. The fact Yuya Takahashi now has secondary writers on-board this time means he's not gonna try and burn himself out like he did when he wrote nearly everything pertaining to Ex-Aid, so more two-parters will likely be seen once Takahashi starts to feel like he's burning out or wants to focus on one of the Movies.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
A former member of GenmCorp subs (Crt) just released a manifesto about why they left, and they cover a few details that seem to indicate the group is about as bad as a lot of hearsay rumors were claiming, including the head of the group harassing them for helping out with other subgroups.
https://pastebin.com/TvxjPUsq
I'm not one for e-drama, but it might serve as good suggestion to avoid their subs. It honestly gives me some Kingranger vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
More Gridman news!
The official SSSS.Gridman twitter confirmed more related projects will be arriving next year alongside the stage show project.
https://twitter.com/SSSS_GRIDMAN/status/1180881470702772225
In addition, Uchusen magazine has announced the October 16th issue will have an SSSS.Gridman cover based on an older Uchusen cover also featuring the titular denkou choujin.
https://twitter.com/sonoko_uchusen/status/1181073493439311872
And alongside that, they mentioned a pinup featuring a character with a particularly recognizable pair of head-wings. I wonder if this is all related.
https://twitter.com/sonoko_uchusen/status/1181075028911087617