Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

oh drat

https://twitter.com/InKDexpereince/status/1149361144659759106

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

they need to make direct sequels to the anime Godzilla trilogy and Shin Godzilla or else this makes no drat sense

https://twitter.com/OMEGAGORMARU/status/1151919639439519745

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Shin Godzilla is fantastic

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Accidentally confirmed by Target, Showa Godzilla Criterion Collection box set

https://www.target.com/p/godzilla-the-showa-era-blu-ray/-/A-77463486?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Geostomp posted:

That’s because Zi-O does good spectacle, but its actual plot and non-Woz characters are pretty lackluster and rarely consistent.

I dropped Zi-O fairly early on because I thought the main guy was really boring and the rest of the cast wasn't interesting enough to prop him up. I saw that Decade has a gun now so I was interested in giving it another try, but if that character problem never got fixed I guess I'll leave it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Geostomp posted:

Zi-O has a lot of good ideas, but never really followed through on any of them. They tease character development or interesting plot ideas, but almost always pull back before going all that far with before reverting to its comfort zone.

That sounds like Wizard all over again

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Guys, GUYS! important news about Zero-One's actor from the Kamen Rider wiki!

quote:

Takahashi is a well-seasoned cook and specializes in French cuisine. He received a chef's license when he graduated from high school and runs an online cooking blog. He said that before he entered the entertainment business, he wanted to be a chef.

You all know what that means. There is going to be a cooking episode.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Pharohman777 posted:

The funniest part is how hyper-modular everything is for ryusoulger mechs because of the 'lego' studs.

So there's a huge amount of options for what all the mechs could combine into.

They should keep that going in future seasons so when they do the crossover movies they can just keep adding the robots together, until it gets to the point where the fully combined toy is the same size as the suit.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

deadly_pudding posted:

Has he tried feeding his minusaur juice to another Druidon yet?

If you aren't familiar with the show this is a wild sentence

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Craptacular! posted:

I was gonna say nothing but “Kamen Rider Beast Morphers”, but there’s a certain sort of flavor to the madness that gives me the nagging suspicion this series is being directed with an overseas focus. There’s an inkling of the sort of self-serious swagger that Power Rangers started with and often refuses to ever really give up no matter how many curveballs Sentai threw. That sort of rigged-backed refusal to acknowledge the inherent campiness of toku (I guess because Marvel movies don’t or whatever) has sort of been one of the hallmarks of the current PR era, and consequently why there’s so much nostalgia over the Disney years. And 01’s whole mechanical beast design where they’re not cutesy and apparently not gonna talk or do much in the way of being kawaii is a very “western toku adaption” road to take.

Of course I get that Rider has been serious for years at times, but not so much in the gimmick design. That one episode of Build is amazing, but Sento’s war trauma comes from a suit that pops out of a machine with a kitchen timer ‘ding!’ It is, as a gimmick, goofy.

The crazy belt gimmicks only really started with OOO. the Zero-One Driver doesn't seem notably more serious than, like, W or Blade or Den-O or even Kabuto.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

drrockso20 posted:

Personally I think Drive would be a pretty good choice for first series to watch

I watched Drive recently, and while I ended up liking it, those first 9 episodes are rough. The first couple episodes set up the main mysteries(there is some number of evolved Roidmudes that will make something happen, there was a Kamen Rider before Drive, Mr. Belt wasn't always a belt) and then they're just completely left alone for a solid seven episode stretch of upgrade of the week episodes. And it's not like they're good upgrades. The black and green forms are pretty ugly and the tires are mostly less fun versions of Fourze's Switches.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I don't like that the cop guy's second form is symmetrical.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

coconono posted:

Great stuff. The jokes are giving translators fits tho.

I can't wait for emotional climax of the series to somehow tie in to Aruto's recurring signoff pun in a way that doesn't work with how any of them are translating it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

More Grease is always good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Darth TNT posted:

This is close to being the perfect secondary rider movie.

All it needs is Beast

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I feel bad for the Monster Factory HumaGear who begins to achieve consciousness based on his duty to be funny looking.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zVaOsxaDX4

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It was pretty funny in the most recent Zero One where Aruto goes to transform and pulls out Flying Falcon. I was surprised because it's pretty rare for a Rider to not start the fight in his base form. But then the bat robot grabs it and no, he only pulled out Flying Falcon so it could get stolen, of course he's going to start the fight in Rising Hopper

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/BeerStix/status/1182116749967269889?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Trogglodyte posted:

Also, in other news, Best Bird Boy finally has the rest of his body set to release as a Figuarts. This makes him IIRC the third Kamen Rider character who's using the new face-scan tech for a Figuarts, alongside Takeshi Hongo and Dan Kuroto. There's also Dan Moroboshi but he's not a Rider, he's Ultraseven.

Compatible with the new Ankh arm(sold separately)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Larryb posted:

No, that’s pretty much right. OOO is still definitely worth a watch though.

"though"?

OOO is worth a watch because of that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

OOO, W, Build, all the best Kamen Rider series are defined by a strong male relationship

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Presumably Fourze did it a couple times

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I was watching a Japanese horror movie called Cult on Youtube, and halfway through it Ryosuke Miura shows up. With bleached hair, playing an rear end in a top hat who calls people idiots and tells them to shut up.

So if you need more Ankh in your life, watch Cult. And it's a good movie besides.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Yeah let's be honest, the Grease Blizzard suit kinda sucked. But that moment was amazing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Maybe it'll look better in the show?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I started reading the Ultraman manga. It's not bad. Not very fast paced though, the entire first volume is just one fight. The second volume has a little more happen, but it still feels like the artist was on strict orders to include as many big panels of Ultraman standing dramatically to fill up space.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Burkion posted:

Which Ultraman manga?

Ultraman? The manga called Ultraman.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Trogglodyte posted:

The 2011 manga, yeah? That money-shot heavy formatting is more a byproduct of Eiichi Shimizu, to be frank. It happens a lot in Getter Robo Devolution and also in Hybrid Insector, the Kamen Rider doujin he worked on before getting shut down by Toei.

I'm imagining that he writes like five pages of story each week and then has to be like, "uhhh.... ok at one point Ultraman jumps, can you make that take up three pages?"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The name is good, but the problem is that the Van-pires are part van part vampire. They should've been vampires that lived in vans.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

There was some Sentai series I watched the first episode of, where it looked like the team was going to be a teen girl, an old man, and I think a kid? It's been a while since I saw it so I don't really remember what the third one was. I was really excited for that because it was different and weird, but then it turned out that no they were just doing the regular early 20s age group as always

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Marvel is also going to do Warhammer comics at the same time. We are now closer than ever to seeing Ultraman fight an Imperial Titan

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

This all supports why they need to use my pitch for a Super Sentai season: Oops! All Reds.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I gotta be honest some of these are ugly as hell

https://twitter.com/TheTokuNet/status/1203520841302073346?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

King of Solomon posted:

Did the manga also completely lack heroes growing to colossal scale? That really annoyed me about the Netflix show (and I haven't even watched any normal Ultraman, it just seemed super disrespectful)

I've only read the first four volumes of the manga but so far yeah the Ultramans have been person sized.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I just ordered Ultra Q off amazon, so I guess that's where I'm gonna start

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I don't like it when a Rider has multiple mid season upgrades outside of their original form paradigm. Just do a variety of forms, and then the big upgrade that makes them all irrelevant. Don't try to make a big deal out of that carbonated Build form when we know he'll never use it again after he gets Genius!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Monathin posted:

Pepsiman RabbitTank Sparkling was one of the coolest forms in Build and I will not suffer its name to be besmirched like this!

It looked cool and would've been a great final upgrade. But instead it was just a brief step on the power creep path.

Now Tank Tank, that was ugly and terrible form.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

McTimmy posted:

So, the sashes look like roads. That's cute, at least.

Will the diamond cars drive on the roads during the transformation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/Shame082017/status/1208827948658233344?s=20