Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Okay I'm going to be real with you. This is a very stupid statement. It cannot. The only reason they became actual friends is because they formed connections outside of being a streamer/viewer.

Watch the drat episode again, Keiwa's sister is like, "oh my god it's Neon!" and sits down with her and starts talking and they become friends. It's what happens in the show. If you don't like it, take it up with the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

She also goes to a dinner with Ace and Keiwa and Neon and that would happen even if neither of htem are famous because they're friends with her brother at that point (Through no fault of the stream).

Again, I have to ask you, what would her twitch chat being the ones to pull her out of her emotional pitfall look like, narratively?

She could have done another stream and been like, "boy I sure am upset about things right now" and the stream could have been full of positive messages telling her not to give up and she could have stood up and started to fight on her own two feet again. I don't know, I'm not a TV maker. It could have been something other than her weird stalker who as you admit the show has explicitly set up is not in a healthy relationship with her turn into a giant robot lion and save her.

No we don't! That's also a stupid statement! The show doesn't explain what ancient romes is, or medieval britain! But it still has a character from there because it expects us to have some basic understanding from being modern viewers.

This only makes sense if you assume that everyone already agrees with you that all streaming is toxic and can produce nothing positive. And I don't think that's true!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Buddy until the moment he stops hiding himself and puts out real human connections Kyuun is exactly the same as every other faceless stream viewer she has. Having them be the ones to do that, without the parts where they face how lovely that relationship can be and actively changing basically loses every humanizing part and wouldn't work.

And streaming produces lots of good things! Fun things! it cannot produce real deep human connections like what would be needed to pull someone out of that kind of emotional pit between faceless twitch chatters and a streamer. I'm sorry, That is why the term parasocial connection exists. The people just chatting and watching might as well be watching home improvement reruns and saying "Yeah me and Tim Allen? We got a thing going on."

This isn't real life, this is a TV show, and stuff in TV shows should matter. Neon's streams have not been part of the parasocial relationship theme of the show. So they should matter in some other way. The fact that she built a fan base of people emotionally invested in her success should have mattered at the moment when her other pillars of support were pulled away. I do not care if that sends a bad message about streaming. I am annoyed at the show spending 20 episodes setting up not a lot with the characters while the plot spun it's wheels, and now that the plot has gotten going the little that was set up for the characters outside Geats has largely fallen away.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Caphi posted:

Seriously though, what separates Kyun from any of Neon's regular viewers other than that he could dimensionally stalk her.

Well, I mean, the stalking for one. That seems like a pretty significant difference.

Also that Neon was entered into the DGP by her dad specifically to attract a mate from the future, that adds a layer of additional creepiness to the stalking.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't think the show actually has a point to make about neon.

The show doesn't have much use for any of the characters. Ace is extremely cool and always has an.... ace... up his sleeve and that's basically it. Keiwa was set up that he's too charitable and needs to want something for himself, and we're all just waiting with baited breath for that to pay off at some point before the show ends.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm very behind on my shows so I only just saw the Neon reveal. I know I'm dumb and this probably wouldn't be the reaction a normal person would have to it, but all I can think of when I saw the reveal was "Wait, why is Neon upset and depressed about this? Her backstory is literally 'My dad thought his daughter sucked and wished for a better daughter, who is me, drat I'm awesome.'"

The thing that sucked about his previous daughter was that she was murdered.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Maybe she died because her vibes were off.

*at my child's grave*

"Welp, guess this one was a dud"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Junpei posted:

I'm watching the Zett dub with a friend who's watching it as their first Ultraman show, and I know Juggler shows up in the next episode, so I'm wondering how to explain him. Obviously I'll say he was in a previous show, Orb but, uhh, how does his arc go? My gut/what I know says it's broadly "anti hero, then villain, and now he's a hero who still is kinda shady"?

He once cut down a tree that he shouldn't have, convinced it was the right thing to do. But now he understands he shouldn't have cut down that tree.

That about sums it up.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Very disappointed that, judging from the next episode preview, YET AGAIN Geats is refusing to deliver on the 40 Riders promised in the op

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/sunshinemoonrx/status/1652381254883459074?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/jyantyla_/status/1653166171368091648?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/KreiSkar/status/1655870778985021442?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Binary Badger posted:

At some point they're going to have to give Juggler his own origin saga so that a lot of questions can be answered.. like how did he get the sword and how does it have so much power and utility.. I mean in Z he just uses the sword to somehow duplicate Zett's Ultra Riser, how the heck did he do that?

I get the feeling the answer lies in some entity that is trapped in the sword somehow doing all this poo poo for him..

He already got an origin story, Orb Origin.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Binary Badger posted:

He got half a one, all Orb Origin did was give Juggler a reason to seek power another way since the O-50 entity decided Gai deserved the Orb powers more than Juggs.

OOS didn't explain how Juggler got his alternate form or sword, only that he already had them before Gai was granted his Orb powers.

Does his alternate form need an explanation? Maybe he can just do that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Binary Badger posted:

Maybe you could handwave his alt form but he didn't come out of the womb holding the sword..

Man you can buy swords.

This isn’t Star Wars, we don’t need in universe lore explanations for why Han Solo’s pants have a stripe on them.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

And to be honest I don’t think Star Wars benefited from the explanation for Han Solo’s pants.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/DeltyThe73rd/status/1660591586009403393?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I started with OOO and loved it so I argue that OOO is the best starting point.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Leraika posted:

Den-O might be another good starting point.

All Kamen Rider fans should enjoy the quickly dawning realization that the answer to the question posed by the OP, "when will they go this episode?" is always answered by not so far that they'd need different sets and costumes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm guessing the rival turned ally is all Pixar?

The Simpsons

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

drrockso20 posted:

Tertiary Rider who has all the adult animated properties Disney acquired when they bought Fox

I want to hear a Kamen Rider belt say "Giggity"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

NachtSieger posted:

Death to the great enemy, Disney.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Trogglodyte posted:

They also recently had a big announcement that Bandai now has license to release Ultra toys in United States via Bandai of America. Wouldn't be surprised if we're seeing the preliminary steps of their North American push.

Man I would enjoy buying a Red King sofubi at Target

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/SunshineMoonRX/status/1669795343100157977?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/chick_anzu/status/1678756080866955265?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I finally watched Shin Ultraman. I'm just gonna repost my review from the October thread here for eveyone to agree with

I loved the first half, largely enjoyed the second half, didn't like the ending

This movie starts out insanely fast paced. We get a super quick summary of the first appearances of kaiju, leading to the creation of the SSSP, which them immediately deposits us into an SSSP mission, the multiple schemes they come up with to try to stop the Neronga, and then Ultraman appears, and then a quick overview of political reactions to Ultraman, then the next mission, then Alien Zarab shows up.

I wouldn't call it rushed, more like vacuum sealed. They took all the air out and concentrated it down as tight as possible. Which I fully enjoyed. Lots of people in military tents talking about the latest energy readings, extremely my poo poo.

It does start to slow down in the Alien Zarab part, or at least that's when it stays on one thing for awhile. It definitely slows down with Alien Mefilas, and the final part with Zetton almost approached the pacing of a normal fast paced movie. Which ironically means that the part with the actual ticking clock is also the slowest paced part of the whole movie.

And to be honest, I didn't like the conclusion of the Zetton stuff, which is the climax and conclusion of the whole movie. Like, they have the whole of humanity's knowledge come together and the solution is "press the button twice". They didn't even build a gizmo! They definitely should have built a gizmo. What makes it especially stand out as bad is that this movie takes so much from the original show and either does it basically faithfully or puts a new and interesting twist on it. But the Zetton is just strictly worse than how it happened in the show. In the show, humanity defeated Zetton. Ultraman straight up couldn't, he wasn't strong enough, but humanity's ingenuity could. It was important because it showed humanity wasn't reliant on Ultraman forever, we were growing and becoming stronger and nearing the point where we could stand on our own feet. So to have Ultraman defeat Zetton using his own drat Beta Capsule based on advice from humanity that frankly I doubt Ultraman couldn't have figured out on his own, is a strict downgrade.

It's tough because as I said, I loved this movie early on when it's just ripping through SSSP adventures. But the ending didn't work for me at all.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It's got some of the most consistently inventive and high quality fight choreography in the last 15 years of Rider easily.

I didn't finish the show so maybe things change, but I thought the fights sucked. So much of the combat in that show was just hitting mooks to push them back a bit and then running off to put the can in the hole or whatever.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Binary Badger posted:

Can't believe that Shannon Tindle pitched this directly to the Tsuburaya brass and they let him make this

Have you read the Marvel Ultraman comics? Either Tsuburaya straight up does not care about the quality of it's American productions, or they're being very hands off on the assumption that American creators know better about what Americans like.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I think the version I have has closed captions for the hard of hearing instead of subs.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Trogglodyte posted:

They use cars. The mecha got leaked as well, it's a giant friggin' trailer with cars that attach to it. The trailer is apparently sentient.

I'm not a Sentai guy but if they do some Fast and Furious poo poo I might actually give this show a try

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It's been a while since the last three person Sentai, hasn't it?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Waffleman_ posted:

Go-Busters!

(Ryusoulger was kinda a three person team in the beginning, but green and black were present from the beginning and in the marketing so i don't count it)

Go-Busters was 15 years ago

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Wizard really was weird in how it handled the secondary Rider. It treated him like the main character and even named the drat show after him!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Blaze Dragon posted:

I love Nitou with all my heart but it was obvious the writers had no idea how to use him, with him being added in the most bizarre of ways to the plots of nearly every episode he appeared in, and being a complete outsider to the main plot with a power set that didn't fit how magic worked for everyone else. Of course, that only made him even better since everyone else was horrendously bland and the main plot sucked, but it's still not great writing.

I have a conspiracy theory that at some point the plan was for a few episodes Wizard would become essentially an antagonist and Beast would take over the role of protecting people from despair. It really seemed like they were going towards that, with moments like Wizard being totally willing to let people fall in despair because he thought it would be easier to just defeat the monster instead of trying to help the guy, and visuals in the OP that suggested conflict between them. But instead of that happening, not much happened.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

at Barnes and Noble I saw they have a novelization of Ultraman out now.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'l watch it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Binary Badger posted:

Thought it was supposed to come out this month, why wait until the summer?

Maybe they had to rework the story / ending, like baby kaiju dies a horrible death or something

There was a whole plotline where Ultraman teams up with the Houthis that may be a bit politically controversial in light of current events.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1767750050728604024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ultraman henshins stay too long and full of slow movement because the device is complicated and weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is everybody still not very impressed with Gotchard?