Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Rent-a-Bot posted:

Build's first two episodes are pretty solid. The way this show is edited feels very... abrupt? The show moves from scene to scene very quickly. It's an interesting shift compared to the previous heisei rider shows. Night Rogue is the dumbest name but also I really like his design.

It feels like the show is moving really fast. Second episode and the protagonist has encountered a potential big bad AND a candidate for a secondary rider? Not the worst problem but the show needs to breath a bit.

How many episodes are supposed to be in this series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So, the subs to get for Ex-Aid are from Exite, yes? Want to watch an episode or two. Probably spoiled the hell out of myself reading the thread but gently caress it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Also, I liked the third episode of Build and all, but Sento's whole thing about doing good for its own sake kind of falls flat considering he gets a new power bottle for every Smash he cures. Not that I am suggesting he is secretly really selfish (Saving people and curing Smash is a thing that needs to be done), but lets not pretend he isn't getting something out of it.

Also, glad to see the other regions coming into play. Who wants to bet that the other two are just as obviously corrupt?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Ex-Aid episode 3: The level 1 beer barrels suit stuff are mostly CG, yes, but I simultaneously admire and feel bad for the suit actors for trying SO HARD to make it work.

I am pretty sure that the level one suit actor for Hiiro (What is his Kamen Rider name?) meant to flip open the driver in one motion. It clicked open, but the actor lost his grip so he pushed it open when the camera angle switched.

EDIT: Also, I do not want to go back into the thread and possibly spoil myself (Well, spoil myself even more so than I am already am, anyway), but I understand there is a "THAT EPISODE" at episode 12 or 13, right?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Sep 24, 2017

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I want to make a joke about Kamen Rider Lazer but I am pretty sure whatever I come up with has already been rode into the ground.

EDIT: :haw: Much like Lazer himself HOOO :haw:

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 24, 2017

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Waffleman_ posted:

I was talking on IRC about the Build reveal and Az brought up a good point, that this reveal is so early and the pacing so quick probably to get a big narrative hook to keep the audience invested enough to follow the series once the timeslot changes. I wouldn't be surprised if the show eased up a bit once the slot change happens, but I hope it doesn't slow down too much.

Why is the time slot changing? Did Ex-aid not do well?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Twelve by Pies posted:

Regarding episode four of Build, I'm going to assume that we're supposed to think Boss is Blood Stark, which would mean that he actually isn't. Still, I really hope he is because that would be awesome.

I am guessing that Build hunting down Smash is a part of their experiments, and possibly Build himself. Sento did say that becoming Build was Boss's idea. It could be that...

1. Faust creates Smash and sets them loose.
2. Build takes care of and cures the Smash.
3. Faust takes notes of the resulting Smash performance to make better Smash and Build's own growth, if not for some other purpose, then to at least keep tabs on him while they figure out what to do. Basically, they are using Build as a way to clean up their messes.

Also, I half expected the wall to come down to reveal that Faust's base was literally next door to their lab.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

but then why let the smash run around? if faust can make bottles, then they could beat up the smash themselves. if only misora can make bottles, then why try to kill build who is the one delivering the incomplete bottles to her?

When did Night Rogue et al try to kill Build? The most Night Rogue himself done was slap around Build before running off, if I remember correctly.

And when the Snake Rider (Blood Stark?) poisoned Sento, they could have easily killed him while he was out, but they didn't, though if Boss is Blood Stark then that is about more complicated

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is Over-ti.me still good for subs? I see they are doing Zero One.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So Zero One is basically OMAC?

EDIT: Mamoru :unsmith:

Also, I am just going to have to learn to tolerate the comedian shtick, am I?

EDIT2: This is probably not the first or last time anyone will say it, but spelling out attack names=hype as gently caress.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 22, 2020

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Xelkelvos posted:

https://twitter.com/Htop_Gunder/status/1333491626564521986

If you haven't caught up to Kiramaiger or seem to be on the fence about it for whatever reason, take a look at this one-cut sequence

So I just watched the first episode of Kiramaiger due to this clip.

It was delightfully silly. And toyetic as hell.

EDIT: I will catch Ultraman Z once I have some time as well.

EDIT2: Oh, so Ultraman Z is officially on Youtube with English subs? That makes things even more convenient!

EDIT3: “What if gun...is also sword?” :aaaaa:

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 3, 2020

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Okay, Kiramager is all right but I am not sure if it is for me...

*Watches Episode 3*

Nevermind! Show good!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I don't suppose that Ultraman Z past episodes will eventually be available again? I could check out more unofficial channels but the fact that they are doing a simulcast at all tells me that if I do I may get some lawyers sending my ISP a scary letter about me :(

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Kiramager Episode 4:

Well, it was still good, particularly the fights, but...uh, did I miss an episode? Was that Episode Zero thing actually important?

I guess the Neanderthal man monster getting murked was simply something that happened offscreen to save time, but then Juuru mentions a dream that comes out of nowhere?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 6, 2020

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Was Decade popular at the time? I don't think I have seen a kind thing said about him other than the Hibiki Final Attack Ride but they seem to keep bringing him back out, here looking like the Kamen Rider Pope.

EDIT: I could be wrong. For some reason I thought there was another Decade centric movie since his series.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 18, 2021

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just made some time to catch the first two episodes of Ultraman Z, and as my first exposure to Ultraman, I liked it.

Just some (dumb) thoughts/questions:

- Is this in the same continuity as the other Ultraman series? You obviously have the names of other Ultramen but they do not seem to recognize Z as an Ultraman even though, if it is in canon, they must have had several running around on earth several times over. Or is this just sort of a composite setting for an anniversary season?
- Since this is Toku, of course you have to have a toy to sell to kids.
- I love this intro.
- Sevenger, for a beer keg robot, really does have a lot of charisma.
- Pacing feels...off? Like they know that everyone is there to see Kaiju battles and are trying to get to them as quick as possible, but at the cost of not letting character beats breath.
- I like that Z himself is basically a kid and barely knows what the heck he is doing.
- Here is the big one, and I feel like I am getting ahead of myself but: What are the rules for Ultraman transformation? Far as I can tell, Haruki goes into UItraman space, does the Henshin, Ultraman appears, asses are kicked, then...Haruki exits Ultraman space and Ultraman goes...somewhere? Also a vaguely recall OG Ultraman having a time limit and the first couple episodes seem to allude to it, but I assume that will be delved into soon enough.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 31, 2021

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just twigged that, in Ultraman Z at least, the monsters all have bright, noticeable eyes. To be it feels like it kind of adds some expressiveness to what are otherwise just big rubber suits, amongst other things.

Speaking of eyes...do NOT look up Ultraman funko pops. Seriously :gonk:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Forgive me if this is a weird question, but does Ultraman air in the same programming block as Super Sentai and Kamen Rider?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Did anyone ever try to give Ultraman the Power Rangers treatment? I think there were a few attempts to bring it over but I think they were straight dubs of the original series for the most part (I remember Ultraman Tiga being advertised on the Fox Box back when it was a thing which felt...out of nowhere).

I know that Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad came out of Gridman which is from Tsuburaya so maybe that was a test bed for that?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Even though I would need to wait a few weeks for it to catch up where I am, I am glad that Ultraman Z is being put back on youtube and will probably watch it on there from here on.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
It seems like, as far as Toku goes, Ultraman seems to be the only one that at least acknowledges collateral damage.

https://twitter.com/OOCCreature/status/1358825924574257158?s=20

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Didn't Ghost have that one movie where that had the first Kamen Rider coming back looking like Frank Miller Batman? How did that turn out.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
You know, in Ultraman Z Ep 1, upon retrospec, I kind of wish that Sevenger picked up Gomess and carried them out of the city like an ornery toddler.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So are Ultraman shows typically a 2 cour (about 26 episodes) as opposed to Super Sentai and Kamen Rider which are yearly? Would make sense if they are trying to stretch their budget to have their Kaiju segments look nice.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I still need to catch up (Over time batch torrent plz), but apparently they got the out of suit actors to do the role call poses :stare:

Poor Green and Yellow

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 1, 2021

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Kiramager is indeed good from what I have seen.

That said (and I hate that I came here to post this after people are praising it)

RE: Kiramager Episode 6

:chloe:

EDIT: Okay, I mean it was enjoyable on the whole, but the entire premise being that a grown woman acts like a literal 5 year old (In what is basically her character spotlight episode!) is...yeah

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 4, 2021

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
RE: Kiramager episode 7-8

Okay, now we are back to "Owning so goddamn much"

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I knew I recognized that shot

(Very minor Zenkaiger Episode 1 spoilers, but why take the chance?)

https://twitter.com/Rufus2k2/status/1369260394347454464?s=20

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Personally I thought the Zenkaiger first episode was really good. Hoping they could keep up the pace.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is Zyuranger as fondly remembered as the OG Power Rangers are over here?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm continuing to watch Kiramanger and lol I forgot just how fun and actually wholesome Super Sentai shows are. Each episode has a lesson on being both an individual and helping each other because together the team is stronger etc. On the third episode now (the vice bad guy) and it's fun having the blue ranger being an actor so seeing behind the scenes stunt work, in a way showing kids what goes into these shows.

Super fun stuff! I'm assuming that Power Rangers hasn't done the localized Kiramanger yet? I'd like to see the differences.

I also love the joke that Blue is obsessed with being stoic and cool which makes the comedy of him being a screaming idiot hit that much better.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I hope they continue the joke that every time they recruit a new member the first thing they do is shoot some mook before the rest explains how it works

Also, it appears that the Monster of the Week will be empowered by a world? I wonder if this will mean that we will get Super Sentai flavored monsters?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Zenkaiger ep 3: Kind of a lesser episode due to all the jpg backgrounds.

EDIT: I do like the suit actors selling the hell out of their characters.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 22, 2021

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Finished up episode 13 of Kiramager and I still really like it but I need to ask at this point: Does Kiramage Pink ever get any other spotlight episodes? The only character episode she had was Episode 6 was extremely...:chloe:, and I want to know if I should keep holding out hope she will eventually have a better one.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I haven't watched Black properly but I do love his Henshin. Particularly how he tenses the gently caress up, like he is trying to control it and is afraid of what would happen if he completely lets loose. Then you see the brief shot of the Grasshopper mutant before it transitions to Black and you find out why.

If I may pose this question to the thread, what are you favorite transformation/henshin sequences in Toku?

Also, my only hope for the W sequel anime is that they get the 15 ft man that did the Gaia Memory sound-offs again.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Seeing Kiramage Silver in the Opening and...well, do other 6th rangers that are put into the Opening have, for lack of a better term, Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie Show vibes?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

MadScientistWorking posted:

Ok. I have to ask this question about this weeks Zenkaiger episode. Is there something I was missing with the mochi thing or is it as Juran said just some weirdly specific chaos?

The show so far is really good and I am enjoying it and everything, but truthfully "weirdly specific chaos" can apply to any of these episodes so far.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Waffleman_ posted:

Like I said, they're less legitimate legal threats and more of a "Hey cut it out please."

Albeit with the unspoken addendum of “Or we will MAKE you stop”. I got something similar when I was getting :filez: of FF Crisis Core.

Hopefully it should be a matter of keeping it on the downlow and whatever intern sent it out will consider the matter handled

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I can't not look at the zigzag 'teeth' on Maybe Revice and not think of Sam and Max.

"Hey, where do you keep that sword?"
"None of your drat business, Sam."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Larryb posted:

Speaking of Ultraman, reminder that Trigger starts in just 10 more days. They’re still officially subbing this one on their YouTube channel like they did the last few seasons right?

Do we know if Z will will still be on the channel? If not, then, well, I better shotgun through the rest of those episodes.