Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Waffleman_ posted:

I think it's really the increasingly toyetic nature of both franchises over the last decade. They're more concerned with selling toys to kids.

Then why do Sentai toys keep getting shittier instead of better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Hemingway To Go! posted:

simpler more colorful toys that don't have complicated combinations for younger kids who like such things

see zyuohger. literally animal blocks.
you stack them and the robot is basically a drawing on one side. uncomplicated and colorful.

Also somehow equally or more expensive than previous, more complex toys from just a few years prior

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Schwarzwald posted:

Cheaply made toys make more money than better made toys, all things being equal.

Essentially the sliding quality of modern toys continues to be the fault of children.

Good thing I still have Legacy toys. And Transformers still markets separate toylines for young children, and adult collectors. :20bux::20bux::negative::20bux::20bux:

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 11, 2017

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Tategami LiOh's actual problem was that it wasn't a midseason mecha and was just the last. Because you could have had some big trailer carrierzord thing that Lioh pulled while Ace drove it. And it would have looked loving awesome.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Do you think he does that with all the English loan words in everyday conversation?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

RealFoxy posted:

Most people I've met who are bilingual use the japanese pronunciations of loan words unless they're speaking the whole sentence in English

I meant on purpose to gently caress with people. :v:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Burkion posted:

I'm one thousand percent onboard with early JoJo until the breathing technique stuff is introduced. At that point it kind of loses me for a while.

Hamon is mostly a convenient reason to punch vampires and make it count but was also not so overpowered that users can't be defeated by "aha but it was I who was behind you all along" until Joseph came along and he was far more genre savvy than his grandfather was.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Please let them have good mecha this year

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

gourdcaptain posted:

Considering they haven't been able to get Philip's actor in forever and W's kind of awkward without him....

WTF is Phillip's deal anyways I keep hearing that he says as far from W as he can since the show ended.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

RealFoxy posted:

I saw that he had won a breakout actor of the year award so I'm guessing he wanted to have a more serious career instead being known forever as that kid from toku

Part of me was hoping that being a Rider in Japan was like being chosen as the next Doctor.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
So do you think after Build we can expect to see Kamen Rider Score or something

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

coconono posted:

I'm just sayin this stuff seems written for people into boobies, gore and no pesky womanly backtalk.

I sense a negative tone, like these are things no one would enjoy?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Waffleman_ posted:

By the way, the date of Akihito's descent from the throne and the end of the Heisei era is set for March 2019, which is a fair bit later than what was originally thought. This means that Build will still be the final Rider series to air entirely in the Heisei era, but that the next series will be about half and half into each period.

The final Heisei rider is incapacitated midway through the show and is replaced by the first rider of the new era in basically the same suit.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

All the other kids with the pumped up locks
Better run
Better run

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

medals were so unwieldy that eiji was largely unable to function without ankh.

Ankh was basically his coach though, and would usually throw Eiji medal combos without him asking.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

PMush Perfect posted:

Build has some of the most paper-thin "oh they were just robots" justification for murdering people I've ever seen, since they're literally dressed exactly the same as the actual soldiers, except they have robot helmets on.

I'd argue that the Foot Clan still has the worst "they're just robots"

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

RealFoxy posted:

Apparently he's also Ichigo in an upcoming live-action Bleach movie :stare:

I'm sorry how did a cancelled series score a live action movie adaptation two years after the fact

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Waffleman_ posted:

I do not think it helped that that was also the season that Toei decided to have a lot of footage showing people's faces while morphed.

It would have been poo poo compared to go-busters anyways.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Zedd posted:

Is that pink mech sporting a police baton?

Can't wait for the police brutality gifs. :v:

All the mecha have weapons hidden in them. My primary concerns are: Is this another Kyoryuger deal where you can only do two arms on a big mecha and every combination suffers for it? And just how different will this main mecha look between the two teams combinations?

Also the cops have light bars on their mecha and the robbers have top hats. Yup.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Eh, not impressed yet. I'll need to see better shots or something first because right now it looks like the only difference between them (aside from the mecha involved, obviously) is you either flip the leg panels up or down.

Still infinitely better than Stackofblocks-Oh and King RainbowBlisters.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, it depends on if Saban extends the partnership with Nick further when it's set to expire next year. I'd imagine with the dwindling ratings and merch sales the show's been going through, Saban might choose to let it end and do their next thing on, say, Netflix, a distributor they already also have a good relationship with.

God knows they'd have a decent budget and more freedom on Netflix or literally anything else.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Ooof the GoodStriker is looking dull as gently caress.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Shaezerus posted:

I've long since given up hope that Amazons could be salvaged but still: what the gently caress...?

Not having seen the show, what's the problem?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

I like it. It's definitely his final form though. we've already seen the next RabbitTank style upgrade. I just wish the belt macguffin was a little more involved that what looks like just another double bottle.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
There's no way that the red patoranger ends up the team leader. The man just looks like a blue or yellow.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Go-Busters officially vindicated.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Blaze Dragon posted:

That's hilarious. Getting more toyetic only hurt the toyline.

Lioh is so bad it doesn't surprise me. I love the Go-Busters mecha before that thing appeared, but it really was the most toyish thing they had, alongside his talking gun.

Let's not immediately poo poo on Lioh like it's not a motorcycle that Ace can ride, okay?

Also interesting to note how final quarter revenue almost always directly reflects the introduction of a final mecha that's poo poo and doesn't combine everything together like God intended.

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 12, 2018

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
So is it just me or is the big bad Mitsuru Miyamoto and Jim is Rie Kugimiya?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Oren is great, and holds his own with no upgrades through the whole series.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

coconono posted:

Watched the first 10 eps of Build with the TVN subs but they keep screwing up Sento’s catch phrase so now I’ve got a bunch of OTsub stuff in the torrent machine.

I normally hate torrenting because my ISP likes to invent DMCA claims. But needs must.

Your ISP won't do anything about DMCA claims anyways. They can't prove any specific person downloaded anything, nor can they even prove the account owner willingly participated. It's toothless.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Twelve by Pies posted:

This isn't exactly a toku question, but I figure someone here might know the answer. So the TV episodes of Go-Onger play fine on my computer, but I got to the point where I start watching the movies and it has an issue where the sound plays normally, but the video is slow and so the audio stops so the video can catch up. Like I said, the TV episodes play fine, so I'm assuming the reason the movie and Net Movies have this issue is they're Blu-Ray quality or something, which my computer can't really handle. Is there any way to get around this issue easily? Aside from upgrading my computer, of course.

Your problem sounds a lot like when my old computer would try to play softsubs with font effects and poo poo. Chances are that, yes it is your computer trying to process too much stuff at once and probably not having the right codecs too.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Has the last movie been released and subbed yet? I want to see more Eiji and Ankh :3:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
The fact that the series is going back to Go-Busters already shows that Hasbro knows a quality toy and storyline when they see it. :colbert:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
It's pronounced "Geo" apparently.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Beastroids would have sounded cooler.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Xelkelvos posted:

Red is a Jaguar instead of a Cheetah now.

Believable, especially since Ace isn't specifically cheetah looking.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

That arm looks weird, but also looks to have some kind of wrist mounted device.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Pictures of the combined form of the all the main Mecha have surfaced. It is, as usual, truly terrible. Not posting cause I know some people consider that spoilers.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Zedd posted:

I think it looks okay considering the components TBH.

To each his own, but to me it's another jumble of mecha sitting next to or on each other again. Nothing comes apart or changes shape anymore because I guess GoBuster ruined that for everyone?

Edit: Actually I take it back, Ninninger tried again and ruined it for everyone :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

coconono posted:

I thought the whole point of the combi super robots was to look like the ugliest kitbash you can muster?

G12 is still the most absurd combination of things and it ends up being extremely cohesive in that it it isn't wider than it is tall, it doesn't stick out in twelve directions (except the wings), and the overall design looks like it was planned rather than slapdash "this plugs in here and just hangs out". And yes I am aware the jets just sit on the shoulders, but they lose mass to other parts in the process. Nothing as egregious as the turtle and monkey origami, which apparently the designers forgot about until after they made everything else.

Compare this to Dodeka King which is literally Cube Whale on blocks and "cube" rhino crammed in his back so you can see the 9. Or ToQ Rainbow which is flat train tracks with feet that you kinda just haphazardly stick trains to. Or Kyutamajin which is more plastic bubbles than robot. Or Gigant Kyoryuzin which takes a sixth mecha to finally make a five mecha combination, and then forgets that five other Kyoryugers and their mecha exist.

drrockso20 posted:

I thought the Ninninger designs were fine, at least in Toy Form that is

Ninninger was pretty unique, and showed promise with King Shurikenjin. Then they whiffed Lion Ha-Oh which leaves most of Bison King dangling out of sight in the back. Then everything gets thrown out anyways for an ugly mecha that abandons the smaller pilot mecha concept entirely.

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 3, 2018