Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Braun wrestled a 20 minute main event, picked Big Show up at the end of it, cut a badass promo without even breathing heavy, then went back and picked up Big Show again and threw him through the cage.

He's literally everything Vince could want and Vince isn't gonna put the belt on him. Hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The thing that really gets me is the disparity.

Braun was just awesome tonight and it wasn't all booking-related. His own talents both in the ring and on the mic shined through completely tonight and in one case, managed to elevate a promo that was completely loving stupid.
Roman, meanwhile, basically said haha my dick is big, haha you're gay and oh yeah, he called Cena a bitch again because that's literally the only thing he can do to get a pop in this program. Then he challenged Cena to a fight after he'd already had a match and walked off after making said challenge.

If they're trying to make Roman look like a jackass right now, it's brilliant, but I think Vince thinks that promo was really great.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Sigma posted:

I love how Big Show went on the shelf right before Destiny 2 launches

"Sorry Vince, you saw what Braun did to me, I'm hurt, I can't come out to the taping this wee --" *puts his hand to the phone* "I SWEAR TO GOD IF YOU TAKE THAT SHOTGUN AMMO I'LL CHOKESLAM YOU THROUGH THE FLOOR YOU FUCKER"

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
btw, Braun is awesome but how about Big Show? He actually managed to get himself over as the babyface and get Braun over as the heel, which uh, has not been a thing many people have been able to do, lately.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
First half of Sami Zayn's 2016:
- Showed up in the Royal Rumble to a huge pop.
- Had a forgettable match with Stardust at Roadblock.
- MotY candidate at Takeover Dallas with Nakamura and participates in the best match at Wrestlemania the next night.
- Great TV match with AJ Styles a week later.
- MotN with Owens at Payback
- MotN with Owens, Miz, Cesaro at Extreme Rules
- MotN in the ladder match at Money in the Bank
- MotY candidate with Owens at Battleground.

Second half of Sami Zayn's 2016:
- Pre-show at SummerSlam.
- Lost to Jericho at Clash of Champions.
- Not on the card at Hell in a Cell
- Lost to Miz at Survivor Series.
- "Beat" Braun Strowman in a lame pseudo-squash at Roadblock: End of the Line

Dude literally spent the entire first half of the year churning out incredible matches every month and they haven't even like, put him in a tag team to get a run with those belts or given him a midcard belt. They've just jobbed him out and put him in nothing feuds. gently caress them. They're wasting one of the most talented guys on the roster.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aphrodite posted:

When did JBL retire?

2009. So, the answer to that question is, "Yes."

Nipponophile posted:

Jinder Mahal is trying his darndest.

For his many flaws as a wrestler, he seems to be a not terrible person.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 6, 2017

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aphrodite posted:

Apparently it's more like he thinks CTE is caused by helmets.

Bah gawd! That's Brian Burke's music!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

IcePhoenix posted:

Important question: Did Corey Graves scream "KIIIINSHAASAAAA" when Nakamura hit it?

I was too busy screaming it myself to hear, unfortunately.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Not that it's not a waste of Owens or anything but I think it's more a function of the fact that they want to give KO a high profile program, not anything about Shane.

Their assumption that Shane is a high profile program is as faulty now as it was when they stuck AJ with him.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Bard Maddox posted:

Shane vs AJ was the best match on the WrestleMania card

That's really not a good thing.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
oh no the NXT women's division is buried a bloo bloo bloo :qq:

This ignores the fact that anybody who beat Asuka would've been hated anyway because, news flash, nobody wanted Asuka to lose. Ember Moon got more on the crowd's good side by losing than she would've by winning.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Solus posted:

Much like Embers Wrestling

Ember just had either the best or second best women's match in company history, you JABRONI.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Nah. This loving sucks and is not good. They should've had Ember win when she hit the Eclipse. The crowd was ready for it.

I disagree. Everybody expected it, but I think people had grown lukewarm on Ember and didn't want her to be the one to end the streak. She got a standing ovation at the end of the match -- I think if she'd won, people would've resented her before too long. Asuka is a special talent and they booked her in a special way and who knows, you could use her streak to make her a big star on the main roster. If she'd just left and vacated the championship, that'd be one thing, but the injury presented them with a unique opportunity and it was a no brainer to take it. Besides, I mean, injuries suck, but now the story is "Ember didn't beat Asuka, but she broke her and sent her out of NXT anyway." That's a perfectly acceptable story.

I will say I hope they don't do the MYC finals for the championship. They should do a tournament on NXT where the MYC finals winner faces the winner of the NXT tournament at the next Takeover.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I get mad because I prefer 50 50 booking than booking they put time into only to loving suck, just later. See also the entire Roman Reigns push.

Foochs is right. We need to give Asuka the Roman Reigns push.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jerusalem posted:

I can certainly admire and respect the opinions regarding a champion losing before leaving a promotion/brand etc, and using that as a way of getting somebody staying behind over. I can't argue with that idea, and I agree it's almost always the right thing to do. There's just one problem in this case.....

NOBODY IS READY FOR ASUKA!

Fixed that for you, my dude.

And this is basically how I feel. Going out on your back is a time honored tradition, but Asuka is special and the NXT -> Main Roster trip isn't the same as going from one territory to another in my eyes because Asuka staying unbeaten keeps her special and unique on the main roster.

Although I'm pretty sure Foochs' point that WWE will inevitably gently caress all of this up is a pretty salient one. Nakamura was unbeaten on the main roster for four and a half months until SummerSlam.

DarkstarIV posted:

To be honest, I'm fine with Asuka going undefeated for a very long time, because unlike Brock or Roman her character work is actually great/interesting. I mean its main roster booking so I fully expect them to gently caress it up, but I think comparing Asuka to Roman or Brock is a bit unfair, considering she's significantly better when it comes to charisma/character work, while at least Roman has looked really loving terrible lately, character/charisma wise.

I actually thought Roman was becoming more confident and a better talker, but dear sweet fancy jesus, his material is more awful than it's ever been (yes, worse than sufferin' succotash and tater tots) and his cool-unaffected-douchebag demeanor has just led to him getting super outclassed by dudes with actual presence like Joe, Brock, Miz and Cena.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 7, 2017

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I do find it hilarious how the one time I don't defend WWE's decision making everyone else tells me that it is in fact the right trajectory.

But fine. Sorry VJeff, you are not a dumbass. You either completely missed my initial point because I didn't make it clear enough or you did catch my point and were being a bit disingenuous. I'm guessing it's the former.

I was just joking with the Asuka/Roman Reigns comment, yeah. :v: We've touched on this a few times before -- I get your point about why Asuka should've lost to Ember, I understand it, I just disagree. You compared her to Brock, but I think an important distinction is Asuka would at least be around doing stuff regularly even if the stuff she was doing was cutting angry promos in Japanese and kicking the hell out of everybody.

Having said that, given what's happened to everybody else who came up from NXT, there's absolutely no reason to be optimistic, either, so you'll probably get the last bitter "I told you so."

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

DeathChicken posted:

They've built Brock up so effectively as a dude who squashes everyone that on the occasions when someone just beats the crap out of him (Goldberg, Braun) it comes across as something *really* special.

Doesn't hurt that Brock is like, lowkey the best seller in the company when he wants to be.

At this point I hope he bumps like a madman for Braun and whoever else he faces at Survivor Series and the Rumble and then just totally sleepwalks through his match with Roman.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm gonna loving miss Hell in a Cell inside the LCA 'cause I gotta go to a wedding. Man, if Nakamura wins the championship, I'll be so freakin' bummed out. :laffo:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

pressedbunny posted:

All they had to do with Bayley is have her narrowly lose enough to establish her as the Little Train That Could coming up from the bottom, and instead she won most of her matches, was in the title picture immediately, and got the title on a random Raw.

Asuka's going to be beaten clean within the first two months, guaranteed.

Bayley should win most of her matches but narrowly lose the big one until she finally wins it on a big stage. Something like, say, the Ziggler/Miz feud stretched out over a longer period of time would be the perfect thing to do with Bayley.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
HE HIT HIM WITH THE DICK BOMB :bahgawd:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but it made Billie Kay and/or Peyton Royce look bad.

Y'know what made Billie Kay and Peyton Royce look bad? Not loving pinning each other in that four-way when Cross and Asuka were both dead.

CobiWann posted:

Thank you! You truly live up to your avatar.

I miss Munch.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Kawalimus posted:

Bayley is an issue with NXT where it doesn't work. You see they had already used the best story for her there. And she had wrestled so many of the other people there. So she gets to the main roster and all those people are there. But she already wrestled them and went through her storyline with them. You can't just redo the underdog thing with people she's already beaten. But that's the character that got her popular. It would be different if she were from another federation wrestling different people and then have that same storyline. But they can't go back to that well again with the same people. So I think the best thing to do is turn her heel and have fun with the character. Like remember that snickers commercial? That sort of thing. Don't worry about making her the most hated heel in town. Just make her a fun character again then go from there.

The easy solution to this was to send her to SmackDown and they didn't do that.
Alexa Bliss was also a totally new feud for her and it was completely botched and is easily the worst thing both wrestlers have ever been a part of.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

The worst part of the rise of NXT is that WWE makes the idiotic assumption that nobody needs to be given reasons to care about the big names that come from it because people have watched NXT. People who like Bayley will not mind seeing more of what they liked from NXT, and people who don't watch NXT will like being given a reason to care about this new person they've never seen instead of being told "HEY THEY WERE GOOD SOMEWHERE ELSE".

It's a very TNA thing. Could you imagine if in like 2004 WWE assumed everybody watched OVW or whatever their developmental program was?

I missed the boat on American Alpha in NXT, so when they went up, I was like "okay, cool, everybody likes these guys and they're very slick in the ring, but who are they?" Still don't really know 'cause WWE never told me and I never went back to watch. At least do some freakin' vignettes or something.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

DoctorGonzo posted:

delete that cnn bullshit

Alexa beating the crap out of Bayley was awesome, what are you talking about?

Enjoying that This is Your Life segment would be about consistent with what I've come to expect from you.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MotU posted:

hes talking about the kendo stick match even the good doctor didnt defend this is your life you idiot

I mean that was like the worst match of the year in a year with all of this poo poo:

So that's not much better.

Actually, that's probably not even up to date, with some of the garbage that SummerSlam had.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Chris James 2 posted:

I still can't believe House of Horrors might not even be in the top 3 worst WWE matches of the year

Still 3 full months to go too, it might not even be in its top 5

We've got two gimmick pay per views left and a five hour Survivor Series, we may only be scratching the surface here.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Stephanie McMahon would actually make those pay per views great because Stephanie McMahon started the women's revolution.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jerusalem posted:

:agreed:

Speaking of which, give me more Breezango!

I know we all love Fashion Files but does anybody else feel like we're reaching a point of diminishing returns?

It was great at first because in addition to being funny and keeping Breezango on TV, it felt like it was building to something. It definitely felt like it was leading to them fighting AA, before they broke up and then it just had to be extended indefinitely.

Like, it's fun but there's this nagging thought in my mind that it's gonna start becoming less fun if it doesn't start leading to a match soon.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jericho might be fibbing a bit, here, They teased the Styles Clash and they called it that in the Rumble when AJ debuted and he used the Styles Clash for the first time against Curtis Axel on SmackDown a couple days later.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

RacistGuidingLight posted:

AJ Styles should use the discus lariat.

And Luke Harper should use the Phenomenal Forearm.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It had me for like five seconds when he came out to Cena's music. It should've been much more rapid fire but he spent more time talking than spoofing other people's entrances.

Like if Dolph just rattled off four or five of those a week and didn't talk in between them it'd be kinda amusing at least.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Was there ever a point where Dolph was charismatic and likable? I know he was pretty hot in late 2014, early 2015 after Survivor Series.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm sorta curious the level of poo poo booking it would take for you guys to turn on AJ.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Defiance Industries posted:

Hey I got this from the future.

AJ: "Roman Reigns is the alpha male and I am the beta male. He impregnated my wife and had non-consensual sex with my anus. That's how I know he's the big dog and this is his yard."

I refuse to kinkshame AJ Styles.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Pink ropes in Hell in a Cell would be pretty incredible.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Wow, I completely forgot.

Honestly all I remember from that match is that the opening angle was really cheesy but I still thought it kinda worked and then the ending went totally off the rails 'cause a table either broke too soon or wouldn't break or something and then TD Garden went DEAD loving SILENT for the finish.

For all the goofy gimmicks they did to prolong that loving feud, Sasha and Charlotte were really at their best when they just did regular matches.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Open Marriage Night posted:

You better go to Hell in a Cell, VJeff. I don't want to be the only one here to see Nakamura not win the title live.

I gotta go to a wedding the weekend after HiaC, I can't afford to drop down the money for the tickets, much as I want to. :(

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

dromal phrenia posted:

I thought Lesnar/Ambrose had less to do with Lesnar not respecting Ambrose and more to do with him training for MMA and not wanting to risk being injured in any way?

Probably a little of column A, little of column B.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
We've ignored the evidence that Brock Lesnar is a time lord for too long.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Cena vs. Braun on TV while one goes to fight Roman and the other goes to fight Lesnar.

Talk about loving booking yourself into a corner.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Blaise330 posted:

Looking forward to Cena losing then Roman cutting a promo going "Omg you lost to BRAUN? LOL what kind of goober loses to BRAUN XD"

Remember when Roman cut a promo saying he couldn't be beaten one-on-one and then immediately followed that up by listing a bunch of guys who'd beaten him one-on-one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
They're gonna do whatever they want and if all the numbers say they shouldn't, those will be the numbers that don't matter, and they'll just use whatever statistics support what they wanna do.

Just like how they went from muting boos for Roman and pretending they didn't exist to going "HE GETS A REACTION!" as if constant rejection is actually a good thing.

• Locked thread