Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Whew, I wasn't sure I'd beat everyone else's development pace on the prototype. I'd say there's 100% nothing left in it, but then again I said that before, didn't I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Was this before or after I submitted my revision?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Danny Glands posted:

Was this before or after I submitted my revision?

Before; you missed the deadline by a few hours unfortunately. They will run on Friday, however!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I'll be entering something but I have no real time to do a decent suspension tune and will not be doing any revisions or race strategy. If anyone is more interested in those parts of the challenge, post here or drop me a PM and I'm sure we can work something out

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

The pace has increased but it mostly boils down to better tires, and allowed wider tires for most things - at the weight of your car from last season, you could go up to 305 wide tires (or equivalent total width up to 335 wide in the rear) and they're +5 quality. There's also 10 more QP on chassis to allow power steering.

VH being based in Elkhart Lake doesn't mean you're local to around there does it? As a Wisconsin dweller, just curious.

Thanks for taking a look at this - this will significantly speed up my time to submit. Yes, I hail from the frozen tundra. GB, Madtown, MKE, WW, Chilton, JVL... take your pick. I'm closer to Blackhawk than RA . I believe you are Fox River Valley or MKE right?

MrChips posted:

You can definitely make it work; you will get substantially wider tires based on the weight of your entry (as well as the ability to stagger over/under the maximum value, as long as the total tire section front and rear don't exceed a calculated value), which is one of the two big changes in the 1990 rules, the other being the drop in engine cooling requirements. In the 1989 series, the engine needed full cooling or more for maximum reliability; in this series, as long as you provide half of the engine's cooling requirements, that's good enough. The net result of this is that most of the classes have picked up 30-50 kilometres per hour of additional straight-line speed, in addition to better cornering/acceleration from the tires.

Additionally, as mekilljoydammit said, there is a slight increase in chassis Production Units to allow for power steering (which is a good driveability boost in a heavily tired Group C car), and also the switch to 95 AKI fuel is good for a fair bit more power over the old rules, especially for turbo motors.

Cool - I'll try to get something in this week.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

extreme_accordion posted:

Thanks for taking a look at this - this will significantly speed up my time to submit. Yes, I hail from the frozen tundra. GB, Madtown, MKE, WW, Chilton, JVL... take your pick. I'm closer to Blackhawk than RA . I believe you are Fox River Valley or MKE right?

Waukesha area - well, bit west of there actually but it's the closest big town. Actually heading up to Road America this weekend.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dang, this sounds very cool. I wish I had the time to get this stuff set up but I'll be watching because it's neat.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Larrymer posted:

Dang, this sounds very cool. I wish I had the time to get this stuff set up but I'll be watching because it's neat.

Hey man just jump in please! I had no idea going in last round and Mr Chips was such a grateful host. 100% he'll provide you with tips and tricks to get you at least competitive. I'd be happy to provide some older engine designs as a starting point if that helps you. The more people we get into this the better!!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

simplefish posted:

I'll be entering something but I have no real time to do a decent suspension tune and will not be doing any revisions or race strategy. If anyone is more interested in those parts of the challenge, post here or drop me a PM and I'm sure we can work something out

I'd be happy to tune your entry if you like; just submit what you've got into the Dropbox folder and I'll do the rest. Alternatively, there are a couple of other players who are pretty damned good at this sort of thing, based on the results so far.

slothrop posted:

Hey man just jump in please! I had no idea going in last round and Mr Chips was such a grateful host. 100% he'll provide you with tips and tricks to get you at least competitive. I'd be happy to provide some older engine designs as a starting point if that helps you. The more people we get into this the better!!

:glomp:

But yeah, if anyone's on the fence just put something together and submit it - I mean, it's not like you're spending a hundred million dollars on running a real racing team after all! And with both my entries from last time and now slothrop's, there are a couple of really solid opportunities for anyone to learn the ropes easily.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I've put my car in the dropbox. It's a totally different approach to what I did last year, let's see how it goes in testing!

MrChips posted:

I'd be happy to tune your entry if you like; just submit what you've got into the Dropbox folder and I'll do the rest. Alternatively, there are a couple of other players who are pretty damned good at this sort of thing, based on the results so far.

Thanks Chips. I've had kind offer from another competitor as well, but I meant more for someone who isn't in Group A - or hasn't put an entry in at all - if they'd like to team up. I'll have to think about it before the season starts

But as always I'm open to the same level of testing feedback and tips you'd give anyone else, especially with such a radical departure from last year.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 21, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

slothrop posted:

If my circumstances were a bit different, I would. I don't have the game nor the time to get even a really lovely entry in at this point.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Autosport Weekly posted:

....rumour has it that the boys in Brisbanello have cooked up a version of the La Moore for the SASC 90 in order to bring the road car and racing divisions of Moore closer together. Sources close to the team speculate that the Scuderia will not have the resources to spare due to their heavy ongoing F1 commitments and will most likely depend on the cars brutal acceleration and high speed delivered by it's 4.0L V12 powerplant.

My entry is most likely to be slow and/or illegal but will look bitching on a poster which I think is entirely in character. You might beat my entry on the track but we will be the kings of merch.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Chiwie posted:

Brisbanello

loving win.

I'll do another press release thing after the next test I think; EMS has been kind of quiet lately.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

mekilljoydammit posted:

loving win.

I'll do another press release thing after the next test I think; EMS has been kind of quiet lately.

Hell yeah, press releases are one of the best parts of SA automation challenges!

Speaking of which.

I added the moon because apparently that's a thing you put behind sportscars in the 1990s. https://i.imgur.com/xoDVxi3.png

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Did you spend more time on the appearance of your car and fake magazine front-pages than on everything else on the car?

edit: your car is slow by the way. 3.5s for 0-60mph is just ugh. I can take a look at it and do some tuning on it if you want to.

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 21, 2017

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Dance Officer posted:

Did you spend more time on the appearance of your car and fake magazine front-pages than on everything else on the car?

Dance Officer posted:

edit: your car is slow by the way. 3.5s for 0-60mph is just ugh. I can take a look at it and do some tuning on it if you want to.

It looks really fast on the poster though which means it's scored 100/100 of the design goals.

Chiwie fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 21, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Chiwie posted:

It looks really fast on the poster though which means it's scored 100/100 of the design goals.

Kind of like this attitude. I'm having to fight myself to not make my car boringer even if it would be faster.

I mean, kind of silly, but my whole idea is a bizarro world version of Matra - in this case, the factory went on strike, the boss talked some of the workers on making a race team, they found a pile of Cosworth DFV parts that they can repurpose and bam! So they're locked into an engine family that's basically an 80s F-1 design (it got stretched to 3.9L in real life and I set the engine family size limits around there) because they're not a real OEM and can't just dig up another engine family. Similarly, I figure the 89B is probably the cheaper prototype especially if they get a used chassis from somewhere and update it.

It's not the most sensible approach (I'm learning from testing alternatives what would have been) but it's fun.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

simplefish posted:

But as always I'm open to the same level of testing feedback and tips you'd give anyone else, especially with such a radical departure from last year.

When I get the nest round of cars scrutinised and tested, you'll have the full report in your Dropbox, rest assured!

I love this sort of stuff; for me, the flavour is just as much fun as the actual racing.

All you need is a big-haired woman in high-waisted bikini draped over the hood and you've got the stereotypical 90s automotive bedroom poster. :)

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Shot from the MX road version's television ad.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I haven't had a chance to play with the cars for a while. Did a bunch of tuning today, exported the new car and... both the export and the actual save got hosed up. All the fixtures are gone and god knows what else.

Any idea why this might be happening? I'm pretty sure it happened with the first car I sent, since when I started to look at it again I was quite shocked to find it set to space frame rather than monocoque.

MrChips, I dropped in a zip file that I did manually. Let me know if that works.

Zeppelin Insanity fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 22, 2017

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Test 4 Results are in!

For those of you with DNSes; please check your engine cooling...if you go below 50% of what the engine requires, even 0.1 kilojoules/second, the game will automatically tag your entry with 0.0 reliability, and thus it will never run in the simulation. I can't help it, it's a thing that Automation does.

Also, Kilonum, Zeppelin Insanity and Boksi, please go to the Car Number Selection Sheet and choose other numbers; they are conflicting with other entries. Thanks!

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

MrChips, I dropped in a zip file that I did manually. Let me know if that works.

Got it, and it worked.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 23, 2017

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

That Laytoy laptime is drat right scary for group B.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

How in the hell did the LATOY group B get a 1:54 and still end last in class?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Dance Officer posted:

I'm guessing ate its tyres and drank its fuel

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

simplefish posted:

It only had two stops though

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

simplefish posted:

Superior soviet tyres that switch on for one qually lap and then become hard as rocks?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Dance Officer posted:

It only had two stops though

Hmm good point

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

MrChips posted:

Test 4 Results are in!

For those of you with DNSes; please check your engine cooling...if you go below 50% of what the engine requires, even 0.1 kilojoules/second, the game will automatically tag your entry with 0.0 reliability, and thus it will never run in the simulation. I can't help it, it's a thing that Automation does.

That's really weird to have happened on my Group C car though since I haven't given you a new revision of it since the last preseason test where it worked fine.

That Latoy laptime looks like a copy/paste error with a prototype - those are the CVR prototype fastest laps times.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

mekilljoydammit posted:

That's really weird to have happened on my Group C car though since I haven't given you a new revision of it since the last preseason test where it worked fine.

That Latoy laptime looks like a copy/paste error with a prototype - those are the CVR prototype fastest laps times.

Your car and my ex share a name :(

This looks like fun, I'll try and cobble a car together this weekend, despite not having any time next week to make adjustments.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Dance Officer posted:

It did not...damnit, my bad; t was a clerical error on my part building the results sheet. It's lap times were more in line with what you would think they should be (mid-2:09s).

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
In collaboration with Toyoba, KRG engineering is happy to present to you the Toyoba-KRG Origami. Powered by the well known 1NZ-EGH V6 mounted amidship, tuned for sports use by the KRG team, the lightweight 2 seater coupe offers the best in driving pleasure while remaining economical and user friendly. You can now enjoy driving performance with the peace of mind of Toyoba's engineering and reliability record.

In accordance, the KRG team will be entering the Origami in the SASC 90' championship in the Group A category.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

mekilljoydammit posted:

Don't go making any changes yet; it is entirely possible I might have inadvertently loaded the Group B chassis trim file into the model in place of the proper Group C chassis trim. Blame it on being sick yesterday I guess.

ilmucche posted:

Your car and my ex share a name :(

This looks like fun, I'll try and cobble a car together this weekend, despite not having any time next week to make adjustments.

Well, don't worry about not having time before things get going - you'll always have a chance to run private testing and submit revisions of your entries in-season (at the cost of revision points of course).

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

My offer to tune someone else's car still stands, as well.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

MrChips posted:

Test 4 Results are in!

Also, Kilonum, Zeppelin Insanity and Boksi, please go to the Car Number Selection Sheet and choose other numbers; they are conflicting with other entries. Thanks!

Got it, and it worked.

Dammit, I don't know how that happened, I definitely had that cooling one notch higher during the design, I remember the number. I must have mucked it up flicking back through the tabs tweaking stuff.

Could you just click it up one notch on your end, rather than having to export, upload, and you download, just for one mouse click, please?

simplefish fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 23, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

MrChips posted:

Don't go making any changes yet; it is entirely possible I might have inadvertently loaded the Group B chassis trim file into the model in place of the proper Group C chassis trim. Blame it on being sick yesterday I guess.

Nbd, I want to be clear I'm just trying to help identify potential issues - I'm having a blast. May submit a new version of everything after I get home from Elkhart Lake anyway - I really, truly, positively don't think I can get anything more out of my engine family.

(I've been wrong every time I say that so far)

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

I'm starting to wonder if the size of my engine family is holding me back and I have do design a whole new family

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Danny Glands posted:

I'm starting to wonder if the size of my engine family is holding me back and I have do design a whole new family

Maybe? Obviously don't know what you made... the "traditional" choices at least for A and B are big displacement whatevers (usually V6s) but that can get to issues with handling due to weight - tradeoffs and all, and there's been successful counterexamples.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

My engine family is an aluminum V6 with 90mm bore and 75mm stroke.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Danny Glands posted:

My engine family is an aluminum V6 with 90mm bore and 75mm stroke.

Yeah, that's going to be harder to make competitive power with - maybe not impossible, but harder. I mentioned I was doing a flat crank V8 family? The original family , the Group A version had about that displacement (2.9L?) making, I think, 315hp. My original group B version was about 3.4L and was stretched to hell and back making over 400hp; I did a lot of things on that one that cost efficiency just because I couldn't burn all the fuel. Reliability was bad too because it was turning a lot of RPM. I ended up starting over with a new engine family that was pretty similar to my first try but had room for a bit more displacement (still not enough to be optimal) and made more power. Efficiency (and thus horsepower the way the rules are written) is a lot easier the more displacement you can throw at it. If you look at last season, MrChips ended up stretching his GrA car from, what was it, starting at 3.5L and ending up at 4L by the end of the season?

For an extreme example you shouldn't emulate because it made the rest of the car terrible, for fun I tried making the biggest engine I could fit in the Camaro-looking-car for a Group A car and ended up making a 7.5L I6 which made 430hp within the Group A fuel burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

My first engine design for my group C entry was a one metre long V12. It's a shame I couldn't get it to fit in any body.

• Locked thread