Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Dance Officer posted:

Definitely switch to the new engine.

Yeah. I'm a little sad because the old engine was cool (3.9L V8 making north of 500hp NA!) and I had the idea of trying to make a 3.5L F1 version for better reliability (hit about 140hp/L on that one) which was awesome... but the lap times don't lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Danny Glands posted:

Did #74 overheat?

Nope - as Dance Officer said, overheating is pretty much not a thing anymore. Your entry just fought a battle with the RNG and lost; something that's going to happen a lot this season, to everyone.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

GQ, September 1990 issue posted:

With this year's racing season now well underway, we had the chance to speak briefly with one of the most interesting personas in today's performance racing scene. From his teen years of exuberance and joie de vivre on the French riviera, up through adulthood marked by multiple forays into experimental pharmaceuticals, Frank D. Rockfort has only kept one true love.

– Motor sports. Nothing gets the blood flowing like the pulsating rhythms of an overpowered American, how do you say, muscle car. The chromium, the steel, the octane; there is no feeling quite like sitting down in such a machine, and have it cater to your every whim.

Meeting at his seaside manor in the Hamptons, the flamboyant playboy did not seem at all perturbed by the lackluster performance demonstrated so far by the contenders put forward by his latest venture, Muira Puama. Slowly swirling a glass of $200 scotch, staring out towards the Atlantic, his only comment on the matter was that of a true entrepreneur.

– The racetrack, of course, is only half the battle. The other half, the important half, is fought in the quarterly earnings reports.

Meanwhile, the marketing apparatus of Muira Puama is currently running advertising in men's magazines of every repute. Will this be enough to win the war for Rockfort? We suppose only next quarter will tell.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Epic.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

drat.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I did some screwing around and barely got a group A car below 2:11. I'm restating my challenge, but this time to hit 2:09 on the test track with a FF group A compliant car.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

... OK, I'll give the "fast FF car" challenge a try - my real entries are pretty much set in stone now.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
I had given a try at your challenge when you first posted it, i got it down to 2:07:35
The car is technically legal but has absolutely awful reliability.
It can probably get sub 2:07 but i kinda gave up when it became clear that it would never see the 2:05's

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7ZZcFqBHX1cZ01sTDVabWduY0U/view?usp=sharing

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Well, ummm....

My Group A is doing 2:06s quite happily, and it's FF :)

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Spent an hour at it with one of my experimental engine families... got down to 2:05.91, but with the redline cranked up to grenade motor status. Low 2:06s otherwise though.

Probably could do better if I started from scratch but enh..

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Mock Race 2 is in the books...and it was a bit of a mess.

I had suspected we were just getting a little lucky with engine failures and accidents thus far.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 3, 2017

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
I was gonna make a big post about my cars but couldn't be bothered. Instead I just uploaded them, feel free to look at them and even trying your hand at fixing them up. I'm out of ideas atm.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/mxs92vskd973rb6/Boksi%20-%20Boksi%20-%20Bad%20Donkey.zip

https://www.mediafire.com/file/5lf15yua23gs01d/Boksi%20-%20Boksi%20-%20Hinn.zip

I originally planned on making a group C car, but that looks like a wash now. Still, I tried, including one attempt that had a 9 liter V12 or something else equally ridiculous(that one was too expensive chassis wise, not engine wise, amusingly enough).

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

You have my respect for opting for a FF little hatchback :)

But if you want your group A to be competitive, the obvious answer is to switch to a different body.

edit: and the problem with your group B entry is undoubtedly your engine. I swapped in my own engine and got 2:02:75 on my first round of tuning.

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 3, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Autosport Weekly posted:

Gérard Duchesne of Equipe Mardre Sports seemed in much better spirits after the final test at the SASC test track before the circus moves to Daytona.

"We liked very much the Cyclone's engine - a thoroughbred Formula One flat crank V8 with some concessions to fuel economy for race pace... but we could not tolerate failures. Increasing the stroke from the Formula One specification meant that piston speeds were too high and reliability was... borderline at best. That is why we do these tests, no? In the end, as much as we liked the MFB engine, we had to do something. As a test we took an MFR from the Sprint, put spare pistons from the Superbe's MFT in and a pair of development turbochargers, and voila. Almost immediately we had recaptured all of the MFB's race pace, but with far more reliability, and some tuning produced even better results. Personal feelings aside... the data is the data."

Asked about overall results, Duchesne smiled. "We are very pleased with the results of our testing program - to achieve what we are with the older Prototype chassis I believe shows some of the strength of our abilities, and aside from reliability issues, the Salope was very quickly turning the lap times we thought it should be. After the last test day at Daytona, I look forwards to seeing everyone's true pace over race distance, and showing what ours is."

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

drat, you got reliability and kept the lap times? Impressive work mate.

P.S Your transport is sorted. ;)

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Chiwie posted:

drat, you got reliability and kept the lap times? Impressive work mate.

P.S Your transport is sorted. ;)

Woo! I'll do another interview thing after the Daytona test results.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

DAYTONA TEST REPORT - La Moore, DttC And EMS Strong In Pre-Season Shakedown At Daytona

The SASC teams relocated to warm, sunny climes of Florida this week, in preparation for next week's season-opener, the grueling Daytona 24 Hours. Conditions were warm and pleasant, no doubt a welcome reprieve from wet, rainy Europe for most, as the teams made last-minute adjustments to their cars, hoping to find that last little bit of speed. EMS was the first to send their cars out on track, their brilliant, French blue cars stunning in the late January sun as they made their way round the track. The #77 Salope Gran Vitesse set the pace for the day overall, with the Prototype running 62 laps over the two hours, with the sister #78 setting the best lap of the day at 1:52.494. CVR's two prototypes followed the second-place EMS a lap behind, the two Prototypes garnering all kinds of attention from the race mechanics. Speaking after the test session through a hard cider and a cigarette, one of the CVR mechanics mentioned that the Prototypes had been neglected somewhat during their development in favour of the Geryons, and were lagging behind the competition as a result. NEMW rounded out the Prototype class, with their Neponset 90s setting the fastest trap speed of the day of any car.

In Group C, the pace proved to be heart-stoppingly close, with the #90 La Moore F1 holding a mere two-second lead over both CVRs, who in turn were only a second ahead of the #89 La Moore. EMS, DttC and NEMW were all within 90 seconds of the lead, with the DttCs and sole remaining NEMW Kancamagus GTO (the #995 crashing out early) finishing the session in a wheel-to-wheel-to-wheel battle for seventh place. The sole remaining Flamarbol Catalina C, in eighth place, was still on the lead lap as well, that team suffering an accident as well early in the session. LATOY was a little disappointed with their pace overall, but are confident that their entry will be much stronger on other tracks.

EMS took top overall in Group B, with the two Salope Cyclones finishing a lap ahead of most of the Group B pack, with the KRG Altjezzas heading up a gaggle of cars including both DttC entries, the sole remaining CVR, both Flamarbols and the #89 La Moore Sport. Group B had the sole engine failure of the session, with the #63 CVR exploding spectacularly on the back straight going into the Bus Stop on lap 36. Newcomers Westward and Muira Puama showed considerable improvement in their pace since testing began, and had it not been for an untimely accident early in the session, the NEMW Penobscot GTXs would likely have challenged the two Hurricanes for position more effectively.

DttC set the time of the day in Group A, with the #34 GrA outpacing their teammate, as well as both EMS Salope Sprints. A large contingent of car finished a lap down on the first four, but due to the timed format of the session, they were threatening the leaders until the very last lap, when they simply ran out of time. La Moore finished first of this group, with the two CVRs, the Flamarbols and the PADB Peruns not far behind; the #16 Perun, in fact, set the fastest lap of the day in Group A, running a 2:06.772, nearly a quarter second ahead of their sister car and almost a full half-second faster again than any other entry in the class. However, due to balance of performance rules implemented at the end of the 1989 season, the Perun has been relegated to mid-field; it will be a tremendous challenge for that team to overcome this obstacle, but a quiet sense of determination was palpable in the garage, decorated with posters of their country's supreme leader and banners making loud, motivational statements. Last year's Group A champions, FISH, struggled to find speed in this session with their all-new Loes sports car, but they too are confident that they can shake out the bugs and be competitive with the front-runners in the class.

Just a reminder that free revisions will be closing this Friday, October 6th at 2359 GMT (6:59 PM Eastern Time) - any revisions submitted after this time will not only be subject to the revision points system, they will not run until Week 2 of the challenge!

Additionally, any pit stop strategies for Week 1 must be entered into the Pit Strategy form no later than this Sunday at 2359 GMT...on that note, here is the weather expected for Week 1:

MrChips fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 5, 2017

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
I'm glad to see the Westward cars are able to keep up with the competition.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
I expected better from the Origami, it obviously needs an aero revision. On the other hand the Altjezzas are again surpassing expectations, as this was to be a shakedown year for the KRG group B efforts.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

never mind I'm stupid.

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 5, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Autosport Weekly posted:

An interesting note that I came across in the test at Daytona was the Equipe Mardre Sport cars being unloaded alongside the Scuderia La Moore entries from common shipping containers. Jean-Luc Ledgédale, CEO of the French team, onsite to watch the testing and take in the sunny weather, was more than willing to explain.

"We are not completely new to automobile racing, of course... we were associated with Mr. Tyrol's efforts in Formula One in the past as you may recall, so we had exposure to engineers from Scuderia La Moore previously. In testing, some of our engineers were of course talking with some of their old colleagues and competitors and sharing notes, while at the same time we were trying to plan the logistics of tending to a worldwide championship. While Equipe Mardre Sport is associated with the larger Mardre Aerospace family, we do not have access to many of their resources. It turns out that an arrangement beneficial to us both could be struck - in our testing we had found issues from translation to simulation to the track that the La Moore Academy team had not exploited that unlocked more potential for them, while their logistics were easily capable of coping with our entries as well. After all, they are already capable of handling the Formula One circus; our modest requirements hardly taxed them at all."

Asked whether this will herald any long term joint ventures, Ledgédale shrugged. "For now we are keeping our designs entirely separate - while the starting point for both of us shares some similarity, we both went in different directions. In the future, who can say? For now though we are focusing on the championship, both for ourselves and for what aid we can provide to our partners."

It's interesting to see someone else's take on things - the La Moore entries share some common inspiration but go about things in a lot of different ways than the EMS ones.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Motorsport International posted:

I had the chance to sit down with the racing director of de tuf-tuf club, the Dutch motorist club with a team participating in the SASC, and ask him about the work up to the start of the season. This took place after the results of the test race at Daytona came in.

"The work up has been... interesting, I would say. Before the official test race there was a series of smaller scale test races on a private track, and when we first entered the competition, I was surprised by just how dominant we were. However, that didn't last. Several other competitors caught up with us, and eventually our group C entry was surpassed. That was a bit vexing." "We only had to do one revision for our group A and B cars. We'd held back on suspension tuning at first because we thought we would burn through the tires too fast, but it turned out we had some 40% tyre profile left when the cars had to go in for refueling. This allowed us to tune much more aggressively. We haven't touched the engines yet, but I reckon there isn't much to be gained there."

"Our group C entry was a different matter entirely. It was dominant at first and also received a suspension tune but group C turned out very competitive and also very closely packed. In the mock races during private testing we ended up two laps behind the class lead, and today we were 44 seconds behind in 2 hours of driving. I suspect that the car as it is now will stay in the middle of the pack, or even end up the slowest of the "serious" entries. It's a good thing then that this car also had a lot of room for improvement." "The Group C has a bit of a funny story behind it, you see. The only reason we can run it is because of a club member's financial support. In one of the meetings running up to our entry into the SASC he said that he would sponsor a group C entry if we could meet some damands. They were to use the chassis he would bring in, and fit the biggest V12 it could hold. The body he brought in was rather... odd. It was made out of carbon fiber with fiberglass panels, that's good. It was also a cabriolet, with folding roof and everything. Really, the chassis is what's holding the current car back."

"So, we went back to talk to the sponsor and told him that if we had to run with the chassis he gave us, we weren't going to be very competitive. He insisted on using it anyway. When I asked him why, he said that he intended to use one of the cars for cruising around after SASC and boast about how he had a street legal racing car. (Obviously a lot of work would have to be done before that could ever happen) We really wanted to be competitive though, so we resolved to find a new sponsor who would provide us with a proper racing body. After a while of searching and calling around, we found an other member, a retired racing director, who was willing to foot the bill for new bodies. We received them less than a week ago and have been hard at work prepping, tuning and testing." He gets a big smile on his face. "I got a report an hour ago that we hit 1:59 dead on the private test track. A second and change faster than our previous body and currently the fastest time in Group C. It's as economic as the previous car, and it's just as reliable. It will debut on the first race. I suspect that we may be a competitor for the title in this group, after all."

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Oh ho! I wonder if anyone else is holding back for the first race; looks like most of the classes should be pretty darn competitive.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

excerpt from Vauhdin Maailma, magazine number 3/1990 posted:

Q: So, what is the story with the Group C spec version of the RM2000? You traditionally have been the biggest proponent for natural aspiration in engines.

A: We started to run out of money to develop the Group B version so we decided that all those are going into national championships and one of the very first ones went to a tuning shop in Jyväskylä. About a week later, they called us and gave a very interesting proposal to adapt our rather successful AWD system that's been turning heads in the Rally world and turbo tech for the car. We said "Sure, but are you absolutely certain this system will work?". The man behind the phone responded with a very confident yes and asked us to start adapting the joint project with a Swedish turbine manufacturer to develop a race-ready version of the one they already use in our turbo-diesel vans.

Quite frankly, I was skeptical of the project until I got the chance to drive it and so far, it feels quite promising for a proper endurance racer.

Q: Any predictions on how this will affect on-track performance?

A: Well, AWD does allow us to have that precious acceleration out of corners and to give them an edge in rain so we do hope the extra complexity is worth the time and effort.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

All right, since I've not done one of these before... so with cars running in 4 classes, I'm going to be earning at minimum something like 40 revision points per week? Just trying to figure out what to submit for first revisions based on track schedule.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

mekilljoydammit posted:

All right, since I've not done one of these before... so with cars running in 4 classes, I'm going to be earning at minimum something like 40 revision points per week? Just trying to figure out what to submit for first revisions based on track schedule.

Here's how the revision points system works:

Each chassis trim and engine variant earns points based on their highest finish, which are then contributed to the chassis model and engine family's total revision points. Points are awarded opposite to how each trim/variant finishes - the car that finishes first gets one point for its chassis model and engine family, second gets two points to each, third gets three and so on, with cars finishing lower than fifth all earning five points for their chassis and engines. Note that points are awarded based on the highest finish - if one of your entries finishes in first and the other one finishes in twelfth place, tough luck, you've earned only one revision point from that race. Also, any entries that retire or are not classified earn five points each, regardless of where its teammate finishes.

Let's say, for example, that you have a chassis model and an engine family that covers Groups A, B and C. If the Group A car finishes in first and third, the Group B car finishes second and sixth and the Group C finishes in fourth, with a retirement, the Group A car will earn one point for the chassis and engine, the Group B will earn two points for the chassis and engine, and the Group C will have earned nine points for the chassis and engine.

If that seems confusing to you, go have a look at SASC-89 and look at the results of a few consecutive races - that should help clear things up.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

I'm having a dumb. Where do I get my numbers for the pit strat tool?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Chiwie posted:

I'm having a dumb. Where do I get my numbers for the pit strat tool?

The access number should be in the SASC-90 Welcome Sheet in your Dropbox; I will reupload yours in a moment.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

SASC-90 Week 1 Preview

The first leg of the SASC 1990 season begins under fair skies and warm sun in Florida, with two of the fastest and most difficult tracks in the world, then swings south for the only South American stop in the championship, then begins the European part of the campaign with a visit to Spain and Portugal.

Daytona 24 Hours

The first round starts under the late January sun in Florida, at the historic Daytona International Speedway. This track is unique in the SASC-90 Championship, being the only so-called "roval" track, sharing part of the banked stock-car circuit, as well as a sweeping infield road course. Speeds are high and brakes are pushed to their very limits here; expect lots of overtaking into the Bus Stop section half way around the banked track.

Sebring 12 Hours

Round two goes just three hours driving to the south, at Sebring International Raceway. This track will challenge cars and drivers alike with the notoriously rough surface pounding the cars to pieces and upsetting the suspension and aero at every corner; fast straights and tight corners will make for lots of overtaking opportunities.

Rio de Janeiro 6 Hours

The SASC heads south to sunny and hot Brazil for the first of two South American stops in the championship. The Autódromo Internacional Nelson Piquet, newly renamed after the mercurial three-time Formula One world champion, boasts long, flat straights and sweeping, medium and high-speed corners, favouring cars with lots of horsepower and downforce. The race is expected to be well-attended by a boisterous crowd, as it once again falls on the Carnival long weekend.

Estoril 6 Hours
(Note that the turn 8-9-10 complex did not exist in 1990; the layout will follow the grey line instead)

The SASC Championship arrives in Europe in sunny Portugal, for a race at the historical Estoril Circuit. A long main straight, combined with sweeping corners and large elevation changes makes this a very challenging track.

6 Hours of Jerez

Circuito de Jerez is the newest track in the Championship, having opened up just four years prior. Set in the sunny and hot south of Spain, this track combines large elevation changes with many low and medium-speed corners. It should shake things up somewhat from the fast, high-speed circuits that have dominated the series thus far.

And finally, the weather for Week 2:

MrChips fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 10, 2017

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Can I get a test report on my latest group C revision?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Dance Officer posted:

Can I get a test report on my latest group C revision?

I definitely can, but it will cost you all 50 revision points that engine and chassis have.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

LAST MAN STANDING - CVR, EMS And DttC Win Gruelling Daytona Race

DAYTONA - CVR took a double 1-2 finish today in the inaugural race of the 1990 SASC Championship, with the #4 Typhon taking the checkered flag for the Prototype class and the overall win, covering 719 laps and 4119 kilometres through two sweeps of the Rolex timer. The only other finisher in the Prototype class was the sister #3 Typhon, some eleven laps behind, as the #77 EMS Gran Vitesse crashed hard on the first lap, needing well over eight hours of repairs to get back on track; even with the heroic efforts of the technicians from EMS and chassis manufacturer CRT, the #77 was not able to take full advantage of the cooler temperatures over the second day to try and close up the gap with the CVRs. The#78 EMS bowed out of the overall lead in the eighth hour with engine failure, joining the #992 NEMW Neponset, which experienced a bad bit of luck retiring from the race in the first half hour. The #993 Neponset had a heart-stopping suspension failure overnight, smashing hard into the wall along the banking just approaching the start finish line, destroying the car. Fortunately, the driver climbed out of the mangled purple machine unscathed, a testament to the safety of the CRT-90 chassis.

In Group C, CVR strode off into the distance for a confident 1-2 finish, with both cars a full six laps ahead of the #90 La Moore F1, that car locked in a wild battle for position with the #8 Flamarbol Catalina C. The two Australian rivals swapped positions several times over the last couple hours of the race, leaving fans and teams alike sitting on the edges of their seats as the #9 Catalina, that car sixth in class and nearly forty laps down on the CVRs, blocked and slowed the La Moore as much as they could without risking penalisation. Speedster took a surprising seventh in class, their car finishing a lap ahead of the two LATOYs, who rounded out the last of the runners in Group C. DttC showed considerable pace for the first few hours of the race, challenging and even leading the CVRs at every opportunity, but as the race settled in, both GrC R4s retired with engine failure before the halfway mark, a disappointing result, but a learning point nonetheless for the Dutch team. EMS was embroiled in controversy, with both Salope Superbes crashing out in a tremendous accident on the first lap of the race, taking each other out of the race, the ensuing accident ending the race of the #997 NEMW and damaging the #89 La Moore and #44 DttC Group B cars, as well as the #92 La Moore Group A entry as well. The stewards investigated the conduct of the EMS drivers, but ultimately found no fault in their conduct, shrugging when they inferred that "taking each other out of a critical race was punishment enough."

The bad luck that cursed EMS did not, however, extend to their Group B entries, with the two Salope Cyclones dominating the field to finish 1-2 in class, nine laps ahead of the two KRG Altjezzas and the #63 CVR Geryon Aristo. The two KRGs and the remaining CVR, the sister CVR crashing hard with only three hours remaining, fought a tooth and nail battle for the final podium spot, with only fourteen seconds between the #96 Altjezza in third and the #63 CVR in fifth. DttC was forced to run a conservative strategy for virtually the entire race after its sister car crashed hard on the first lap, finally retiring with an engine failure in the early evening, figuring that some points are better than no points as the #45 GrB R2 finished in seventh place. La Moore, Flamarbol and NEMW were both able to take advantage of this, with both teams moving up in the final results to try and secure as many Constructor Points as possible in the race; this was especially important for both Flamarbol and NEMW, down to only one car for most of the race. Muira Puama, running a quiet but steady race with their Potencies, showed how important reliability is in the standings as both cars finished the race, putting them comfortably mid-field in the Constructor Championship just behind Automurdermotive.

Group A proved to be the closest of all the classes, and also the most trouble-free as well, with only eight of the twenty-eight entrants retiring from the race. In the end, DttC prevailed, the #33 finishing a lap ahead of the #91 La Moore and the #21 Flamarbol. Both KRGs rounded out the top five, with the two CVRs giving up positions and points, both to them as well as to EMS, who split the two CVRs, as the Geryons both struggled with brake issues all race. Both of the Automurdermotives ran a quiet and careful race, finishing in tenth and eleventh place in class, helping the team find firm footing in what should prove to be a cutthroat race to the Group A Championship. FISH, the defending champions, struggled to find pace all weekend, with the #1 Loes succumbing to engine failure early in the race, and the #2 car involved in a serious accident in the eighteenth hour, the car getting out on the track for a nineteenth place finish in class, just ahead of the #998 NEMW, that car being the last of the classified entries in this race.

Top Fives

Race Results

Season Standings (Click for bigger)

Revision Points

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
All my cars failed? I'm wondering if I should look over my parts...

Danny Glands fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 10, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Merde.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Holy hell that casualty rate. Everyone is going to be for a shot at a podium in the 24hr events.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

With the small size of the Prototype field, anyone can win there :stare:

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Last time I checked my Group C has 52 engine reliability so I hope that with this out of the way all the other 24h races will go well.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Alright, i think i can consider this a decent result for KRG, top 5 in both classes and a perfect reliability record in a high speed speed 24h race.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Autosport Weekly posted:

"An interesting result," Gérard Duchesne putting things mildly. "The Superbe... we reused many components between the different cars, no? Once we moved up to our true pace instead of handicapping ourselves during testing, the greater loads plus fatigue life from testing, and then the banking at Daytona, well. The steering rack on the 65 car failed after the warmup lap and..." he trailed off, gesturing helplessly. "We owe our drivers better and will do better - the organizing body graciously allowed us to submit a revised part as long as there were no performance changes."

"The rest is much better... the Gran Vitesse turned excellent lap times when they were on track, and if we had not had an accident may have been contending for the top step. Certainly I think we were the only team below the 1:54 mark. The Cyclone performed exactly to expectations. While I vastly prefer the earlier versions of the engine on a personal basis, I think finishing 7th and 8th overall speaks for the results. The Sprint, we need to examine our data to figure out the relative need for stops, but also this track does not play to its strengths."

"Going forwards, well. We need to see what the Superbe and Sprint have for pace on shorter tracks before we decide a path forwards, and certainly there is room to find more reliability on the Gran Vitesse. We are also moving to the low drag specification next due to the unique requirements of la Sarthe."

That's weird that my A car pitted as often as it did - the mock races, it seemed like it was comparable to the other cars. Barring anything really weird happening the rest of the races this week may have to burn the points for a test day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Woah, them rankings! This is awesome, and I absolutely need to burn some revision points.

• Locked thread