Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
You can justify the most vile, awful crimes imaginable against the perpetrators of these types of crimes.

How else can you justify torture, kidnapping or murder for your main character without their morality appearing just a little bit gray?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sestze posted:

You can justify the most vile, awful crimes imaginable against the perpetrators of these types of crimes.

How else can you justify torture, kidnapping or murder for your main character without their morality appearing just a little bit gray?

24 was a really hilarious unintentional satire of the world Fox News wants you to believe in god this alone.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

why remake death wish in a world with john wick 1 and 2

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Taintrunner posted:

24 was a really hilarious unintentional satire of the world Fox News wants you to believe in god this alone.

24 was cited in the supreme court

please kill me

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

get that OUT of my face posted:

why remake death wish in a world with john wick 1 and 2

have you met anyone who works in hollywood lmao

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Thunder God Biden posted:

This seems very irresponsible in today's political climate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQxjyRr9k2E

Animal-Mother has issued a correction as of 05:06 on Sep 9, 2017

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Love too become a nazi to protect My Family

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
of course its participant media releasing the radicalized prison nazi movie pfffahahahahahahaha

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Willie Tomg posted:

of course its participant media releasing the radicalized prison nazi movie pfffahahahahahahaha

Waiting for Übermensch

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Willie Tomg posted:

Actually prison is good because it allows white people to release their internal power.

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

We're here to make coffee metal. We're here to make everything metal.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

24 was cited in the supreme court

please kill me

Scalia thought that Batman was a real person, so it's not really that surprising.

We flew the flag at half mast the day two weeks that he died.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
Do you think any studio would remake Joe?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

SoupyTwist posted:

Ten weeks before Joe was released in the United States, a real-life mass murder with similarities to the movie's climactic scenes occurred in Detroit, Michigan. On May 7, 1970, a railroad worker named Arville Douglas Garland entered a university residence and killed his daughter, her boyfriend and two other students.[10]

During pre-trial deliberations, Judge Joseph A. Gillis saw Joe and strongly advised both the prosecution and defense teams to do the same. He then carefully screened each member of the jury pool and excluded any who had seen the movie. He also forbade any seated juror from watching the movie or discussing it with anyone who had seen it.[11] Although he brought with him multiple weapons and extra ammunition, Garland received a light sentence.[10]

Before and after sentencing, Garland received hundreds of letters from parents across the country who expressed sympathy with him. It was also reported that during the first weeks after his sentencing, he received no letters expressing outrage or condemnation of his actions.[12]

:captainpop:

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

We're here to make coffee metal. We're here to make everything metal.
holy poo poo

does the movie actually endorse killing your children and their friends, or are people just incompetent when it comes to understanding a narrative?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Gone Fission posted:

holy poo poo

does the movie actually endorse killing your children and their friends, or are people just incompetent when it comes to understanding a narrative?

We're very bad at interpreting media.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

SoupyTwist posted:

:staredog:

Somehow I've never heard of this

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Peter Boyle was also in another interesting movie you've probably never heard of, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, which might be the most realistic depiction of mob life on film. Nobody's a charming, charismatic rogue. Everybody's a broke loser exchanging violence as currency.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Hahah I've seen Eddie Coyle, it's good.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Animal-Mother posted:

Peter Boyle was also in another interesting movie you've probably never heard of, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, which might be the most realistic depiction of mob life on film. Nobody's a charming, charismatic rogue. Everybody's a broke loser exchanging violence as currency.

thats based on a series of books, and another movie adapted from them is https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_Them_Softly

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

GalacticAcid posted:

:staredog:

Somehow I've never heard of this

there's a big chunk about it in nixonland. apparently after the movie came out peter boyle got recognized all over the place in a "right on, you're telling it like it is" way and it hosed him up for years

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

it's funny because it's basically the opposite of the starship troopers deal, where the book is actually very anti-vigilante justice

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Taintrunner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P52G4Kyq5M

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD5ofrSNDFA

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

also when i saw ted cruz at the beginning of that death wish trailer and then a menacing hooded figure i was kind of hoping the secret identity was ted cruz

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

We've always been hosed, haven't we

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

it's funny because it's basically the opposite of the starship troopers deal, where the book is actually very anti-vigilante justice

Also Death Wish was actually a good novel whereas Heinlein's Starship Troopers was trash.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

GalacticAcid posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v_I4zqC7GN8

we gotta talk about what's happenin in chicago

Oh Jesus

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

Grondoth posted:

We've always been hosed, haven't we

I think falling down is a hell of a lot more nuanced than loving death wish.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
The worst part about this is I kind of want to see it because I have a friend who lives in Chicago and I worry about her all the time and I'd like a fantasy of all the city's crime being eradicated so she'd be safe.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
I am the authority on all things death wish AMA

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
does Death Wish make you horny

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
Yes, next question.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Have you seen the Tom Hardy vehicle Bronson and if so how do you feel it relates to Charles Bronson's death wish persona

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The worst part about this is I kind of want to see it because I have a friend who lives in Chicago and I worry about her all the time and I'd like a fantasy of all the city's crime being eradicated so she'd be safe.

It's ok, as a functional adult, you can easily separate fantasy like a movie about vigilante justice that includes Bruce Willis shooting a bunch of other dudes for dubious reasons, from the socio-economic realities that currently exist in many of America's cities. So I say go see it and enjoy :)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

It's ok, as a functional adult, you can easily separate fantasy like a movie about vigilante justice that includes Bruce Willis shooting a bunch of other dudes for dubious reasons, from the socio-economic realities that currently exist in many of America's cities. So I say go see it and enjoy :)

i agree that children have difficulty separating fantasy from reality and should be barred from seeing violent movies or playing violent video games until the age of 18

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

username / post convo :discourse:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

i agree that children have difficulty separating fantasy from reality and should be barred from seeing violent movies or playing violent video games until the age of 18

I would say to allow parents to judge the ability of their kids to enjoy various types of media, no need to get all reactionary and righteous about it.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Xand_Man posted:

The home invasion fear/fantasy is the dumbest poo poo. Like even the most strung-out junkie knows that stealing poo poo will go smoother if there is nobody home.

It's basically the "and then everyone stood up and clapped" of gun ownership.

And yet 750 people become victims of a violent crime during a burglary every single day. Odd

Xand_Man posted:

That's not even mentioning the creepy psychosexual angle of a group of young dudes having their way with your wife.

Oh yeah and 23 people are raped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Weeping Wound posted:

I bet Willis' character lives in Evanston or Glenview lmbo

whyd you pick somewhat mixed cities instead of somewhere like Wilmette or Lincoln park or something

• Locked thread