Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

this game is wonderful and everyone should play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Arcsquad12 posted:

How many Zaku variants are there?

3 playable: Char's Zaku II (fast), Doan's Zaku II (punch), Psycho Zaku (all guns) and then god knows how many strikers.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Dj Meow Mix posted:

The only time I've gotten lower than SSS is if I died, but I'm not really sure how rank is calculated beyond that. For trial battles be sure to pick a suit with a good gerobi you can trash bosses with like Gottrlatan, Banshee, Perfect Strike, Hyaku Shiki etc. Hi Nu and Hot Scramble are also good picks with funnels the ai doesnt always deal with well.

I guess I never defined it in the thread but a gerobi is a big laser that you continuously fire while standing still (usually).

I suck at this game. Used Banshee and Gottriatan and still got SS ranks on trial route 1 :(

It's simply time that determines it right?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Dj Meow Mix posted:

The netplay is really good actually, but if a single person is on wifi or has a terrible connection the match is dead.

Gundam is a fine starter, though his kit is a little more gimmicky now beyond his rifle. Hyaku Shiki is my personal favorite starting suit to recommend now, but honestly you can learn with most anything. Don't be afraid of picking 500s or 200s either, just make sure they've got a good rifle and you're good to go.

Just please be careful with the 500 suits, as it can be a tad frustrating when your playing with someone new and doesn't know how to use the 500 suit well.

No this has never happened to me and cost a match, why do you ask.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Is there a decent guide to all the suits? I've been having fun with the barbatos but with the g-gundam crew gone it's hard to tell what other suits would be almost pure melee and be actually good at it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I would think a few of the wing suits would be melee options but haven't tried them yet.

If I'm starting online matches and getting synch errors, is that my end?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

I would think a few of the wing suits would be melee options but haven't tried them yet.

yeah the deathscythe is fun to play but the altron is too wacky armtubes for me to jam with

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Revitalized posted:

It's simply time that determines it right?

Did you die? The number of suits you personally shot down may also be a factor. I cannot say for sure, I just shot everything I could and it worked out.

Monaghan posted:

Just please be careful with the 500 suits, as it can be a tad frustrating when your playing with someone new and doesn't know how to use the 500 suit well.

500s more or less have to be aggressive and get in there, their whole job is to attract attention by being the most powerful hard to kill piece of poo poo on the field. Unfortunately that comes with a learning curve just like learning how to play away from folks.

Endorph posted:

Is there a decent guide to all the suits? I've been having fun with the barbatos but with the g-gundam crew gone it's hard to tell what other suits would be almost pure melee and be actually good at it.

ggez.space has movelists and basic combos for a fair number of suits but it isn't comprehensive. If you can read Japanese, the wiki is pretty well fleshed out at this point as well, just navigate to a suit via their tier list page.

'Pure' melee isn't as much of a thing in this game yet despite melee being quite a bit stronger in general. As far as good melee heavy focused suits go you've got Crossbone X1 and X3, Gyan (though he gets nerfed in the next day or two), Epyon, and AGE-1 Spallow off the top of my head. Those guys can play well in melee range without much issue. Once you get beyond those there's Barbatos, the Unicorns in NT-D mode, Exia etc. They CAN do melee but setting it up requires more interference by your partner or a mode change on a timer.

The way the game is balanced most suits can do good melee damage combos and should be going for them when the opportunity presents itself, this is especially when bursting with Blaze Gear, as 95% of the suits in the game should be doing. X1 Full Cloth is a well rounded unit with a very melee friendly toolkit, as an example. The same applies to suits like the Hyaku Shiki, Gottrlatan, etc. Mid-short range combat is just really good in general here, so you don't have to double down on melee exclusivity to find a suit that's good at it.

I'm working on a primer guide for this game at the moment, hopefully it can cover a lot of questions folks may have about gameplay flow.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
the game is really fun. I'm digging all the 200 and 300 cost gundams like Dom and Gyan.

Could someone break down how melee priorities work? when two ppl go head on with the same attack who is suppose to win? Does it matter what angle you come in? I'm thinking is just because I don't how long someone's melee animation or how long the attack is.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Dj Meow Mix posted:

500s more or less have to be aggressive and get in there, their whole job is to attract attention by being the most powerful hard to kill piece of poo poo on the field. Unfortunately that comes with a learning curve just like learning how to play away from folks.

I know, but I still caution noobies from jumping right to the 500 suits as there is little room for error. I would advise them to stick with a decent all around 300 or 400 suit before jumping into the big leagues.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

The angle of approach doesn't change much unless the defending suit in question has to turn around before attacking, that does have a 'travel time'. Learning melee lunge ranges is useful but ultimately something you can pick up overtime. Continuing from that, melee approaches can be step cancelled (press a direction twice on your pad/stick during the attack) and then restarted to gain even more ground. If you see someone lunging you can step in response to avoid the attack and throw an attack of your own but they can respond in kind. This is called a step war. They're really fast and intense, I'm terrible at them.

There is a priority system I think, but generally speaking the rule is whichever attack becomes active faster wins. As far as exceptions go, Bound Doc for example has a grab attack that will just snatch most suits out of melee no matter what they were doing. Some suits like Perfect Strike and Crossbone X3 have grappling hooks on their back+melee which will beat melee attacks as well since they have an disjointed hitbox.

Monaghan posted:

I know, but I still caution noobies from jumping right to the 500 suits as there is little room for error. I would advise them to stick with a decent all around 300 or 400 suit before jumping into the big leagues.

Eh, only way to learn to play a 500 is playing a 500. No 300/most 400s can handle the type of play style a 500 expects.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The Ground Type Gundam is kinda fun (08th MS Team represent) and I like how he switches between his artillery and regular rifle loadout on the fly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Did you die? The number of suits you personally shot down may also be a factor. I cannot say for sure, I just shot everything I could and it worked out.

ggez.space has movelists and basic combos for a fair number of suits but it isn't comprehensive. If you can read Japanese, the wiki is pretty well fleshed out at this point as well, just navigate to a suit via their tier list page.

'Pure' melee isn't as much of a thing in this game yet despite melee being quite a bit stronger in general. As far as good melee heavy focused suits go you've got Crossbone X1 and X3, Gyan (though he gets nerfed in the next day or two), Epyon, and AGE-1 Spallow off the top of my head. Those guys can play well in melee range without much issue. Once you get beyond those there's Barbatos, the Unicorns in NT-D mode, Exia etc. They CAN do melee but setting it up requires more interference by your partner or a mode change on a timer.

The way the game is balanced most suits can do good melee damage combos and should be going for them when the opportunity presents itself, this is especially when bursting with Blaze Gear, as 95% of the suits in the game should be doing. X1 Full Cloth is a well rounded unit with a very melee friendly toolkit, as an example. The same applies to suits like the Hyaku Shiki, Gottrlatan, etc. Mid-short range combat is just really good in general here, so you don't have to double down on melee exclusivity to find a suit that's good at it.

I'm working on a primer guide for this game at the moment, hopefully it can cover a lot of questions folks may have about gameplay flow.
ty for this i didnt much care for age as a show but the spallow is really fun to play, also yeah i can read jp so that wiki's really useful

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So what's the deal with hot scramble's funnels? I'm looking at videos online and they work like you'd expect but whenever I try they just fire straight with no tracking

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

DrManiac posted:

So what's the deal with hot scramble's funnels? I'm looking at videos online and they work like you'd expect but whenever I try they just fire straight with no tracking

Funnels deploy differently for him based on what direction you're holding when you press the sub. Up, left and right deploy what's usually called a 'fence' above or to the side of the target. That fence will stun so it's very useful. Holding down will do funnel deployment as you are expecting.

Endorph posted:

ty for this i didnt much care for age as a show but the spallow is really fun to play, also yeah i can read jp so that wiki's really useful

I'm not an AGE fan either but spallow is cool as heck and a real big jerk too lol, I'll be surprised if they let him stay as is without nerfs

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

Been playing psycho zaku since launch... Picked up turn A last night and holy gently caress is the mustachio'd robot fast and fun me and my partner got bodied by the same team a couple of times in a row but after switching to turn A they had absolutely no answers for 300 damage easy combos

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just remember the chest nuke can hurt you as well as your enemy.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I got the Dom to level 20 so I guess I beat this game.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

worthless. posted:

I got the Dom to level 20 so I guess I beat this game.

okay but how many times have you hit someone with the flash stun?

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Dj Meow Mix posted:

The netplay is really good actually, but if a single person is on wifi or has a terrible connection the match is dead.

If you literally can't play the game with wifi that seems like bad netcode lol.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
No Hygogg? What is this, a Punk'd? Am I being Punk'd?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I wish. They put in a lot of weird picks but relegated the weirdest to useless striker slots. Come back acguy...

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

zooted heh posted:

okay but how many times have you hit someone with the flash stun?

In ranked? 3 Times. It's really hard to get that close with this big boy.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

Carmant posted:

If you literally can't play the game with wifi that seems like bad netcode lol.

people playing fighting games on wifi are pure scum and more often than not are looking to abuse the lag in their favor

the game basically locking up if someones on wifi is a good thing!

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

worthless. posted:

In ranked? 3 Times. It's really hard to get that close with this big boy.

yeah it's tough. what's the final title?

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Savage For The Winjun posted:

people playing fighting games on wifi are pure scum and more often than not are looking to abuse the lag in their favor

the game basically locking up if someones on wifi is a good thing!

That sounds like an awful thing

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

yea honestly I play on fairly fast wifi and never have had any issues playing fighting or arena battling games before, but this game is absolutely unplayable. I can't hardwire my PS4 currently so I basically wasted the majority of 60 bucks on this admittedly cool game. caveat emptor.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

That's understandable. Wifi usually is a hit on someone's connection so I make a note of it. Personally I can't play wireless at my house since it introduces so much lag. I don't know all the technical details, but basically one player is the host of the game and the other 3 (or more if you're in a lobby) have to connect to them. Sometimes changing who is hosting the lobby can improve the connection for all players involved, even if it's the exact same players. yay p2p. Randoms can make that quite a mixed bag. Regardless the netcode is pretty great in my experience, and tbh i'd rather have a match just end than play a stuttering mess.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

zooted heh posted:

yeah it's tough. what's the final title?

Triple Dom 😎

I had that title on until I got the silver title for the Guntank, which is 'Failure'. Keeping that one forever.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Gouf Custom is so much better than what he was in the last game. Basically feels like your playing the Terminator with your ability to endless pursue enemies and then stab them in the face. Feels like he has a good skill ceiling with his grappling hook movement too

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

worthless. posted:

Triple Dom 😎

I had that title on until I got the silver title for the Guntank, which is 'Failure'. Keeping that one forever.

i got "failure" very early because it's very funny going on like 30+ win streaks with guntank in 1v1 and i will never ever change it

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Gouf Custom's core gimmick is that the ropes let him overheat or approach overheat and mix up his landings, but his performance outside of that is kind of lacking and he doesn't really have anything that forces other suits to respect him if they are patient

He's pretty damned annoying to catch though lol

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

I want to love this game because I'm a huge Gundam fan, but I literally have no clue what I'm doing. I just kind of mash buttons without knowing what I SHOULD be doing. Are there any easy to understand guides that'll teach me the basics at the very least?

Also I'm kind of confused by the choices of mobile suits in this game. They put in the Kapool AND Corin Nander's Kapool, but nothing from Gundam X? No NT-1?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

absolutely anything posted:

i got "failure" very early because it's very funny going on like 30+ win streaks with guntank in 1v1 and i will never ever change it

Guntank is so powerful. Whenever I do ranked I usually end up out damaging the 500 costs suits I get paired with, which is funny when I win, and frustrating when I lose.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress this game is unbearable when it's lagging.

Exia is actually pretty fun, he's surprisingly simple to play. Just a couple melee moves and a stun. Not sure when I should be using his laser beam thing though.

edit: Exia also has a cool mechanic where if your team would lose because you died, you go into the Damaged Exia state instead of losing. I just won a game where my teammate was able to get in the last blow because I survived in the Damaged state.

edit2: ok I think I figured out the SSS rank thing (at least for me). Using FAZZ, I told my AI buddy to Evade and basically scooped up all the kills myself. I think what you want is the PERFECT title at the end of a level. The more of those the better. Only Greats will get you SS. I even died once on Trial 2 cause I'm a fool and still got SSS. Do not let your teammate steal a single kill.

edit3: never mind. just score over 75k and have under a certain time for SSS.
Route 1 - Under five minutes
Routes 2 through 5 - Under ten minutes
Routes 6 through 10 - Under fifteen minutes

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 8, 2017

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Ok I bought this. Are all the locked suits future DLC?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

[quote="“Demicol”" post="“477190935”"]
Ok I bought this. Are all the locked suits future DLC?
[/quote]

Yes

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
It feels pretty easy to clown on casuals 2v2 in the Virtue. Find someone distracted or landing half the map away and fire a giant laser at them!

It's boost gage is absolute poo poo though, so if anyone pressures you well you're dead unless you can switch to Nadleh.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Playing higher costed suits is so intimidating. I know if we lose it's probably more so my fault for dying so much :(

Luckily most of my favorite suits were grunt suits anyways. I wanna get Pale Rider but he's a 400 suit and I don't think he's worth that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The Marasai is kinda like a better Jesta at 2/3 the cost. I'm in love

• Locked thread