Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Revitalized posted:

Playing higher costed suits is so intimidating. I know if we lose it's probably more so my fault for dying so much :(

Luckily most of my favorite suits were grunt suits anyways. I wanna get Pale Rider but he's a 400 suit and I don't think he's worth that.
400 isn't that bad to play. It's 500 that's terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Revitalized posted:

Playing higher costed suits is so intimidating. I know if we lose it's probably more so my fault for dying so much :(

Luckily most of my favorite suits were grunt suits anyways. I wanna get Pale Rider but he's a 400 suit and I don't think he's worth that.

Don't let higher costs be intimidating, you're learning a different playstyle so there's no shame in losing. Folks that complain about that are just babies that contribute mostly nothing as they suicide in with 200s :angel:

brainwrinkle posted:

The Marasai is kinda like a better Jesta at 2/3 the cost. I'm in love

The Marasai's playstyle is fun, never stop shooting ever is a pretty easy one to pick up.

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I want to love this game because I'm a huge Gundam fan, but I literally have no clue what I'm doing. I just kind of mash buttons without knowing what I SHOULD be doing. Are there any easy to understand guides that'll teach me the basics at the very least?

This is sort of a failing on the community's part, there really should be a comprehensive starter guide available by now given the release window difference between JP and ENG. I started writing one but it's not done. Here's the link if anyone is interested. It's not quite complete, I still need to cover general suit recommendations and some other stuff, but I think I've covered a lot of the basics here fairly comprehensively. Let me know if anything is confusing, I haven't really given it much of an editing pass.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
The game shipping with the worst tutorial of 2017 isn't a failure on the community's part imo.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I actually really like Sazabi as a 'starter' suit because it absolutely spoils you in terms of ranged options - it has a lot of good ranged tools. Funnels can help you stagger or keep pressure on people, using the all-funnels sub can punish, the basic BR is good and its charged mode has great AOE (it charges quickly, too), and you can poo poo out a gerobi to boot.

Other suits I like:
- Kimaris Trooper (300) (I like it because although his ranged options are limited, Kimaris Trooper can put out a boatload of pressure very quickly with his Trooper-mode attack and go right into a melee combo with it. His awakening attack can be pretty easily cut, though).
- Dynames (300) (Feels virtually unchanged from Full Boost, can poo poo out lots of ranged damage and his pistols have good evasion, albeit punishable if they whiff)

I want to like Tallgeese II, but Tallgeese I feels better right now for 100 less cost.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
I play on PSN as bacnflaps, though I haven't had an online match with a good connection yet. But even so...

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

Stop playing on wifi and you wont have connection issues

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

e: double post

Savage For The Winjun fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 10, 2017

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I achieved a 40% win rate in my first 10 ranked battles ever in the Marasai. Not bad! I love to catch expensive suits in the cheapass gerobi. The main pitfall is the enemy focusing down your ally, so you have to be good at harassing or staying alive if you have one opponent on you.

I can't decide if I like Sarah or Jerid as the pilot more. Sarah talks about Paptimus too much, and Jerid is the prototypical Gundam fuckboy.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Jerid's cool, you can play the Marasai for a bit and when you feel like learning the cheap poo poo you can upgrade to the Bound Doc and really play with power

Or use Rosamia. But I don't think I've ever seen someone other than myself do that lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

every time i've seen the g-self, it's been luin piloting it, not bellri.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

How is the Jesta?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

He's okay? I want to like him but his melee is just terrible and his subweapons leave something to be desired. You can change the spread patterns on his grenades and he has a reloadable beam rifle which are the nicest things he's got. His melee is painfully slow and kinda below average on damage. He's certainly playable though, but if you like his style you should also try a different suit that does his job better (Marasai or Emma's mk 2, for example).

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Jeez Trial Route 9 is flippin' tough. Particularly 9-5A. Your partner is Char's Gelgoog and you have to fight like, 3 waves of dudes.

The second wave has me stumped. Gottrlatan, Crossbone X2 and Throne Zwei loving rape the everliving poo poo out of me.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Oh, hey, I didn't notice somebody had made a thread for this, nice.

As a Big EXVS Nerd, a few tips for new players:
  • Don't let yourself get sucked into the mentality that being on a lower cost suit means that you're free to die more. While technically correct, if you pick a 200 or a 300 and zerg in and suicide you risk making the game immeasurably harder for your teammate, who now has to play significantly more cautiously. Generally, due to overcost mechanics, you want the higher cost person on the team to die first, which means that the lower cost suit needs to be relatively adept at movement and positioning to make sure they don't get popped with their lower performance.
  • Following from that point, don't be afraid to try and learn higher cost suits. They might feel intimidating, but they are actually pretty nice for new players because their high performance means you've got a lot more boost to play around with, and almost all of them have a much more powerful and versatile arsenal to work with than lower cost suits.
  • Pay attention to your movement. Efficient movement is the heart and soul of getting good at these games. A mechanic the game does not adequately explain is that your recovery time on landing is directly proportional to how much of your boost gauge was remaining when you landed; this means that the more boost you expend before taking a landing, the longer your recovery time before you can begin moving again. Low boost and overheat landings are highly risky and are what your opponents will be watching for to shoot you in the face. To prevent this, you want to move efficiently, try to stick low to the ground unless you absolutely need to rise over an attack or an opponent, and try to land at green or better boost as much as possible.
  • Following from that, you want to mix up your landing timing as much as possible to screw up your opponents' punish timing. Fluttering(tapping your boost button once or twice to slow down a fall), normal falls, and boost dives should be mixed liberally to make it hard to read your rhythms.
  • Learn to mix in sidesteps to your evasion. You can boost around ranged gunfire, but it is generally more efficient and economical to simply sidestep once, as sidestepping cuts the tracking of any projectile currently heading your way. You can combine sidesteps with other movements(sidestep into boost dive being a big one) to make your movement a lot trickier and more evasive.

Some suits I would recommend new players focus on if they want to learn the basics of a cost class:
500:
  • Nu Gundam: A very balanced suit that can basically perform any role well with no glaring weaknesses.
  • Sinanju: Highly maneuverable, with punishingly good melee tools. Solid ranged game, but definitely wants to play aggressively and get in there.
  • Turn X: Another all-rounder, the Turn X has a very basic meat-and-potatoes beam rifle/bazooka shooting game with some tricky stuff to be done with its part purge funnels and its gerobi(large, continuous beam).
400:
  • Freedom: This suit is sort of the sampler platter of Gundam Versus tools. It has everything; high maneuverability, solid melee, a strong beam rifle, good easy knockdown tools, a devastating punish in the form of the HiMAT, and tricky barrel roll shenanigans.
  • Banshee: This is where I'd recommend people wanting to expand into super mode suits start because the Banshee is effectively training wheels for super modes because your normal form is also fantastic. Normal form has an extremely powerful neutral game with a reloadable beam magnum and bazooka combo and NT-D mode amps everything up to 11 and basically makes you a 500 for the duration with brutally fast movement and melee.
  • Providence: This suit is a good place to start if you want to learn how to operate funnel suits effectively. It has a ton of ammo to work with, the two modes of your BC(the beam house or the shotgun set) give you a ton of suppressive power beyond just making GBS threads funnels at people, and it's fast and good in melee as well.
  • Gottrlatan: Probably my favorite 400 of the lot, this suit combines best-in-class mobility with incredibly fast and hard to interrupt melee. A solid beam rifle combines with a map-sized missile barrage and a ridiculous gerobi(large beam) with two shots and multiple fire modes that also poo poo hugely damaging missiles to make this thing a huge threat at range as well.
300:
  • Slave Wraith: This guy is one of the most everything-but-the-kitchen sink suits in the game, with a ton of tools that on their own would be mediocre but together make the suit a fantastic swiss army knife. It's got good ranged pressure with a beam rifle and a bazooka charge shot, good melee defense with a fast machine gun and its flashbang, solid melee for a shooty 300 and has good mobility too. Can't really go wrong here.
  • Gabthley: A suit built around a very basic, but solid arsenal. Its sub shooting is a 360 degree beam shot that can be chained from its main to allow you to finish ranged combos without being too spendy on the ammo and it has an extremely fast gerobi to punish landings and get damage swings. It also has shockingly good melee when it needs to use it.
  • Throne Zwei: A good suit for people wanting to learn how to be a lurking backstabber, the Zwei is all about being an opportunist. Your ranged tools are adequate enough but aren't going to win a prolonged gunfight; your ultimate goal with this suit is to try to land stuns with your Fangs and your beam saber toss and then land melee punishes on helpless targets when you have the opportunity to strike. This is the MO for a lot of suits like Sandrock, Deathscythe, and Barbatos as well, and I feel this is the easiest suit to learn that gameplay style on due to its lack of wacky special movement or toggle modes.
200:
  • Marasai: Mash that loving beam rifle until your fingers bleed and land your gerobi whenever somebody approaches you or takes a greedy landing. The suit of choice for someone who doesn't want to think about how to use their suit's tools and just wants to worry about their movement and the match flow.
  • Vigna Gina: Super fast and with tons of cool cancel routes to play with, this suit has a lot of weird movement options that make it quite unique to play. This suit's beam rifle cancels into almost every other button and some of the buttons also cancel into each other so you can do really unpredictable things once you get the hang of it. It excels at pretty much any range and can run circles around higher cost suits quite easily if played well.
  • Rezel: A very basic but solid shooting toolkit lets this little guy punch above his weight. This is a good place to start if you want to learn how to do mobile armor form stuff, since he benefits heavily from getting a lot of use out of his AC(default L2) in mobile armor form.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

The AI for the training dummy when you're waiting for a match is weird. If you try to push it to the edge of the zone it starts walking back some distance before reaching it so it's impossible to get it there.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Kanos posted:

Oh, hey, I didn't notice somebody had made a thread for this, nice.

Mind if I steal the suit recommendations for my little write up I did?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Mind if I steal the suit recommendations for my little write up I did?

Sure, go nuts.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Thanks for the tips Kanos! I’m still very much enjoying the basic suits because they allow me to focus on movement and situational awareness.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

One suit that I feel like you should stay away from when just starting the game is the Re-GZ, even if you decide to ignore the general warning about 200s.

You start out in a forced MA mode for a brief duration (which also happens to be when you have access to your most damaging attacks) and if you don't know how to control the MA mode it can be really frustrating.

I will say that I miss one thing in Gundam Versus, though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnFi_SdtR_Y

CRAZY TANK!

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 12, 2017

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

LuiCypher posted:

One suit that I feel like you should stay away from when just starting the game is the Re-GZ, even if you decide to ignore the general warning about 200s.

You start out in a forced MA mode for a brief duration (which also happens to be when you have access to your most damaging attacks) and if you don't know how to control the MA mode it can be really frustrating.

I will say that I miss one thing in Gundam Versus, though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnFi_SdtR_Y

CRAZY TANK!

I really miss the tank. Guntank is good but doesn't quite fill the void. I really hope it comes out as dlc.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I wish tanks/guntanks were more viable in this game because I don't know if poor Hidolfr would survive the transition. Aggressive offense is so strong now that if you can't move then you just die

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

[quote="“Dj Meow Mix”" post="“477318009”"]
I wish tanks/guntanks were more viable in this game because I don’t know if poor Hidolfr would survive the transition. Aggressive offense is so strong now that if you can’t move then you just die
[/quote]

Guntank wrecks poo poo though

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

He's a good scrub buster, but if an opponent can move properly Guntank is basically toothless unfortunately. And I say that from a place of love because he fuckin' rules. Guncannon is ok though, I love him as well so it works out

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Slave Wraith has both a beam rifle and a machine gun. When should I alternate their use?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

worthless. posted:

Guntank wrecks poo poo though

Guntank is in the running for absolute worst suit in the game. He's got an absolutely fantastic arsenal for his cost, but he's also far and away the slowest thing in the game, far too slow to avoid any effective return fire or deal with aggressive melee pressure. He automatically loses any trade against opponents that know what dodging is.

Revitalized posted:

Slave Wraith has both a beam rifle and a machine gun. When should I alternate their use?

Your beam rifle is your main ranged tool and should be what you mostly rely on, weaving in bazooka shots and missiles when you have time and aren't being pressured. When starting out the machine gun is best used as a defensive tool to deny people trying to get in on you due to its speed and fast stagger. When you get more comfortable with using it you can start trying to mix it in offensively to save ammo on your BR.

Using machine guns well is a relatively tricky thing to learn.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Kanos posted:

Your beam rifle is your main ranged tool and should be what you mostly rely on, weaving in bazooka shots and missiles when you have time and aren't being pressured. When starting out the machine gun is best used as a defensive tool to deny people trying to get in on you due to its speed and fast stagger. When you get more comfortable with using it you can start trying to mix it in offensively to save ammo on your BR.

Using machine guns well is a relatively tricky thing to learn.

On that note, what's the right way to play Ground Type Gundam? He switches between his machine gun loadout and his artillery loadout. It's fun, but a little clunky.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Revitalized posted:

On that note, what's the right way to play Ground Type Gundam? He switches between his machine gun loadout and his artillery loadout. It's fun, but a little clunky.

Ground Gundam is extremely difficult to play well due to the combination of having a machine gun for a main and being a ground running suit. This is a difficult pairing for a reason that requires a little explaining into why machine gun suits are pretty tricky to learn for new players.

One of the most important things for a new player to learn is staying properly on angle while attacking. Your suit will automatically aim their rifle/main gun at a target when firing and allow you to move uninterrupted as long as you're facing relatively the right way, but if you try to fire while facing too far out of angle, your suit will stop and pivot around to shoot, killing all of your momentum, stopping you dead, and generally leading to you getting hit in the face. New players who aren't used to constantly adjusting their facing while moving will often make this mistake and fire off angle. Machine guns amplify this problem massively because the strength of machine guns is firing long bursts that continually chase the enemy, making them really good at ticking damage, but also making it very likely that a combination of your movement and the enemy's movement are going to put you off angle during your salvo and kill your momentum. There are a variety of ways to counteract this, one of the most popular being a flutter step hop(hop and step in the direction you want to go while firing, you can even go backwards while doing this).

The Ground Gundam, being constrained by its ground running movement, can't really use these methods effectively, so it's difficult for him to keep up machine gun pressure in situations where he can't run in a forward direction or directly side to side. This limitation means that it's pretty hard to use the machine gun defensively because you can't run backwards and stay on angle. The cannon form is undesirable in situations where you're being heavily pressured due to its relatively slow firing speed and the fact that firing it stops you dead, so it can be tough to defend yourself against opponents that want in that rear end if you're on the back foot.

When I play the suit, I tend to spend as much of a match as possible in cannon form dropping an endless rain of shells to restrict movement/force the enemy to waste boost constantly stepping to not get bonked by a shell(mix main shots and sub shots to vary the trajectory/travel time to avoid your shots being too predictable) and when I need to either defend myself or make an aggressive push/force the enemy to pay attention to me I switch into the other form and let loose. The Ground Gundam's MG is top class and fully reloadable so when you're making an offensive push you can be really loving annoying and hard to ignore. I'm more of an Ez8 player than a Ground Gundam player, though; I've got maybe 40-50 matches on Ground Gundam and several hundred on Ez8, so I tend to adapt my Ez8 approach to Ground Gundam rather than that necessarily being the best approach to the suit. :shobon:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
G Gundam, Gundam X and War in the Pocket are weirdly absent in this game. I hope they get DLC later.

It's also really kind of sucky that they block all PS4 recording and only let you upload every 1 out of 100 replays.

On the flip side it's really cool that PS3 arcade sticks will just work on the game and you don't even need to go through a cumbersome menu to use them. *coughSFV*

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

All you people making GBS threads on my robot son (guntank) are wrong.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Just played someone in 1v1 who just held left and pressed attack the entire match. I saw them jump once by accident so I think it was someone actually playing and not rubberband on controller or something.

1v1 is really fun though. Not sure if I'm good or everyone just sucks, played about 20 matches and only lost twice.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
I'm honestly happy right now. I've just tried out the Marasai in the third route in Trial Mode and somehow managed to get a SSS Rank because of it. It's rather surprising how deceptively good and fun the Marasai is, considering that I view it as a mook MS. The reload function is really neat aswell.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I got up to Corporal rank with a 45% win rate in ranked. My beloved Marasai has experienced a few clutch wins and a few stinging defeats.

The wins mostly revolve around making GBS threads out 500 damage from my Burst mode special plus regular gerobi while my partner is one hit from death and being chased.

The losses tend to be embarrassing affairs where I get totally contained by a 400-500 point suit and my ally loses their 1v1. Usually my ally is at a massive suit point advantage.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Revitalized posted:

Jeez Trial Route 9 is flippin' tough. Particularly 9-5A. Your partner is Char's Gelgoog and you have to fight like, 3 waves of dudes.

The second wave has me stumped. Gottrlatan, Crossbone X2 and Throne Zwei loving rape the everliving poo poo out of me.

Gotta enjoy how this game's way of adding difficulty is not so much making the AI better as it is giving them a fuckton of cost (usually 2000 vs. your 1000) and a boatload of extra HP. Part of me also feels like it reduces their proration penalties for their combo hits to boot (or just gives them a slight damage increase). My strategy wound up being to avoid 9-5A and do 9-5B instead. Somehow, it felt easier.

Of course, the follow-up mission can be lots of bullshit too. The target is Exia in permanent Trans-Am. It's bad enough that a melee suit like Exia can basically run around willy-nilly. It's worse that his gerobi via GN-Arms recharges even faster. The worst is what the game doesn't tell you - he always has access to his Awakening Super, which has super armor when he initiates the charge. Even 500 cost suits will lose 50% of their HP to that one attack.

The last mission is easier if you know how to fight Alvatore, but even so it's an endurance test of 3 GN-Xs who have relatively high level AI, followed by Alvatore, followed by Graham in permanent boss awakening.

There's a certain point when doing really difficult trial routes that you're better served by playing 500 cost suits because the extra boost meter/evasion they have will avoid more HP damage than you'd 'soak' by playing 200/300 cost suits.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The Turn A and Turn X are loving beasts. Although they probably should be. I also like the MK II. Emma Sheen is cool and good.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Pyro Jack posted:

I'm honestly happy right now. I've just tried out the Marasai in the third route in Trial Mode and somehow managed to get a SSS Rank because of it. It's rather surprising how deceptively good and fun the Marasai is, considering that I view it as a mook MS. The reload function is really neat aswell.

Marasai definitely hits above cost thanks to his easy-combo BR and his gerobi. The saber throw can also stun to set up either quite nicely and has a little bit of evasion via horizontal movement, but nothing like what higher cost suits get with similar attacks.

I'm starting to come around on baseline Barbatos. Its main weapon doesn't deal that much damage (and loses in any collision with BR shots) but has surprisingly good tracking. It can't apply instant pressure like Kimaris Trooper, but it moves well for a 300-cost suit and puts out enough melee damage to make people worry. I can see how it would work really well with a strong 500 cost suit - ignoring either for too long is going to hurt badly.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Gammatron 64 posted:

The Turn A and Turn X are loving beasts. Although they probably should be. I also like the MK II. Emma Sheen is cool and good.

At first I was really confused why Turn A was considered a Fighting-style MS versus Turn X's Various, but then I remembered that Turn A had a beam rifle for very, very few episodes and mainly got by via movement, punching, beam sabres, and storing cows while Turn X always had access to some form of ranged weapon, whether through its backpack or its own limbs.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Has there been any announcement about when the next DLC is dropping?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Nothing that I know of. Japan gets Alvaron and Buster tonight so they'll be 5 suits ahead

https://twitter.com/GundamVersus/status/919859160983863296

https://twitter.com/GundamVersus/status/919857197059682304

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

LuiCypher posted:

At first I was really confused why Turn A was considered a Fighting-style MS versus Turn X's Various, but then I remembered that Turn A had a beam rifle for very, very few episodes and mainly got by via movement, punching, beam sabres, and storing cows while Turn X always had access to some form of ranged weapon, whether through its backpack or its own limbs.

Yeah, same here. It's been a long time since I've watched Turn A, but I mainly remember it using beam sabers, punching things or being used as a washing machine. I remember one time it used a beam rifle and the rifle melted. Loran tried using a Gundam hammer once but it wasn't preserved well and just crumbled when he hit something with it. I think he found a better one later that wouldn't immediately disintegrate upon use.

It should be noted that the Turn A is by far the most powerful mobile suit in Gundam canon and Loran didn't even come close to using it at its full potential. The thing had a cloaking device, could teleport, could teleport beam rifle shots straight into the cockpit of enemy pilots and could regenerate itself with nanomachines. It could even regenerate a deceased pilot. That and there's the whole moonlight butterfly that wiped out all of civilization.

Also it looks really cool and was designed by Syd Mead. Yes, even though it has a mustache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

turn A is the best gundam and being insanely fast and dodging everything two different opponents have as you close in for more beam saber violence is the best experience that this game offers that I have found thus far

• Locked thread