Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I am 99.9% sure this was made by a goon. RandomFerret, I think.

dyed red fountain in freezing conditions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

boo_radley posted:

:nws: in the extreme, shows an opthalmologist trying to treat a botched scleral tattoo. Final treatment was removal of the eye due to, and I quote, "intractable pain":

https://www.aao.org/clinical-video/scleral-tattoo-gone-wrong

I used to do insurance work for an oculoplastic surgeon who did enucleations. Generally people opted for a natural looking prosthesis, but you can get all kinds of weird poo poo custom made. You know a guy who got a scleral tattoo is going to want something fancy.

Lots of sports eyes out there in the world.

Extra curse: there's an ocularist right in my city, but this one woman's insurance tried to send her to another city four hours away to get her prosthesis made, which would have required her to get a hotel room and take a week off work. I had a big fight with them and eventually won, but it took almost a month. I hate medical insurance.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I kind of feel like ophthalmology is cheating because so many people are freaked out by eyes.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Amelia Bedelia snakes the toilet.

Maybe only cursed for people who sew. That's not a cheap machine, either.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I used to work at a hardware store where my manager got a horrible peeling sunburn, and he used a lint roller to try and peel it all off at once. It didn't work very well.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

rotinaj posted:

What’s the problem with that image, hugegrossburrito? That looks like cool ancient aquatic animals which was always the part of my fisheries ecology classes that were most fascinating.

Here, have an image of another part, the bobbitt worm.

It’ll bite the gently caress out of anything that comes near, including toes and dicks and fish and whatever. And it has a nasty mandible attack that will cut poo poo off. If one of these is living in a decorative rock that gets put into an aquarium, say goodbye to everything in there.

An internet classic: The Bobbit Worm Chronicles https://www.michiganreefers.com/forums/advanced-topics/84173-bobbit-worm-chronicles.html

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Caitlin Doughty (Ask a Mortician)and Anna Dhody (Director of the Mutter Museum) discuss the 1918 flu in October 2019, and how poorly equipped we are to handle a mass death event like a pandemic. Specifically, a crematorium takes a long time to cremate a single body, and it has to cool down between each round. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH2Laha7llI&t=1s

They revisit the topic in December 2020: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LUCWQiCAoE

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
quote is not edit, if you have to probate me please give me the lighthouse

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

quote is not edit, if you have to probate me please give me the lighthouse

gangtag please (if I can only have one I want the lighthouse)

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

So what are you goana do about it?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

this has been my phone lock screen for like four years, it might as well be on my rap sheet, too

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

oh, you like that? well, here's the video of how he did it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYPp3CKTf-g

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Cartoon Man posted:

:nms: Predator/Prey and blood in the water. Watch this idiot get too close to nature being scary.

https://imgur.com/gallery/bUbv582

Terrifying as this is, I would be so excited to see that in real life.

In return, I bring this mildly :nms: link of a kid who got his finger bit off by a snapping turtle (two pics of finger stump, an xray, and a picture of the turtle). It's amazing how cleanly it was removed but the turtle swallowed it so they couldn't reattach it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MedicalGore/comments/qaju0o/snapping_turtle_bit_off_and_swallowed_a_15yearold/

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Edit: Some tax I guess.

Who wants to dine on the spicy-dishes! Uranium Glass.

This is the dream. I've been collecting uranium glass and cadmium glass (it glows pink) for a while and have a china cabinet that I need to install UV lights in.

Gimme that uranium probe.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Bismuth posted:

Yall should talk about shmorky in the PYF SA storeis and sagas thread and post curses in here

No, don't, I don't wanna have to read that discussion. It was bad enough to be around for it in real time.

https://i.imgur.com/EmgIi0H.mp4

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Boner pill bottles I found at a vintage shop this weekend. God only knows what was in them.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx7dF89a3z4
All those backyard skulls, not deep enough to never be found

And even better than a tree pod or a green burial is human composting (very uncursed, please compost me when my time comes)

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

This isn't cursed!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Found this while looking around antique store photos last night:

There's an entire facebook group called VOMIT CLOCKS! for these. That one isn't even that bad. It's the red ones that are the worst.

I have one, but it's solid white resin so not very interesting.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I literally recoiled from my screen at this. Ewww.

edit: actually, most uses of "panties" is an ew from me.

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 12, 2022

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

boar guy posted:

if you blow your nose and then tuck the kleenex in your sleeve and go back to what you're doing, you're being an rear end in a top hat.

Nobody tell this guy about handkerchiefs.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Toothpick curse: I can't have toothpicks because I have a compulsion to carefully squish them between my teeth until I have a loosely connected mass of splinters in my mouth. I realize how terrible this is and yet I cannot help it if I get my hands on a toothpick.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

PopeCrunch posted:

Mine's not quite that bad, but I do have some brain damage especially to broca's area that fucks with my ability to speak to the point where I simply can't in a lot of situations.

there's a *very* short list of people I'm ok with 'prompting', and it changes based on who i'm talking to and what i'm trying to communicate. it's hard to words it really but for me to not be at least annoyed at the person, i have to trust that they know enough about the conversational topic for their guess to be useful, and that i am familiar enough with them to trust them to 'fish around in my head' for a word. I mean hell I even get briefly annoyed at my husband for doing it if i'm trying to talk about something he doesn't know a lot about (he is brilliant, and very very gentle about my speech issue, so this is rare, but.)

e: and yeah, it sucks super bad. when my speech thing tipped over from 'i can do it but it sucks and i don't like to' to 'oh i guess i just can't most of the time now', i got really in my head about it and kinda stopped eating for a few months. Lost a hundred pounds but uh maybe don't use my diet method. It's *incredibly* isolating and alienating. Most people remember enough of sesame street to understand very very basic ASL like 'thank you' but to a whole lot of people, if you don't talk, you just plain don't exist.

So is typing different? Or is it just easier because you can do it at your own pace?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

The Anime Liker posted:

Who's the goon that collected all the weird radioactive stuff?

I remember the mod with the radium water carafe, but didn't we have one that had the glow in the dark dishware that was like radium in leaded glass?

The 1950s were loving insane.

Are you thinking of uranium glass that glows under a blacklight? It's not dangerous. I keep my fruit in a uranium glass bowl.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Imagine the tan lines you'd get from that swimsuit.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Yaldabaoth posted:

That's more a trend of modern society where most women simply grow their hair long and part it because poo poo sucks so much they haven't got the time or energy to do anything fancy with it

The 90s had "The Rachel", the 2020s have the "I stopped cutting and styling my hair during quarantine and never started back up".

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

MrUnderbridge posted:

Yeah, and it couldn't possibly be that we hardly knew poo poo about biochemistry, bacteria, viruses a hundred years ago, or that we have diagnostics that can separate diseased now.

Nope, gotta be those diseases just didn't exist.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Yeah can I get that crazy Bloody Mary and like six extra plates? Thanks.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I like this stuff. It has just the tiniest bit of chili in it and it works really well.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Kind of impressed they still have her info from 1993 honestly.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Fat shaming is cursed.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Shai-Hulud posted:

Had one of those tiny Strandbeests for years. They are pretty great but you need some serious airflow to get it moving!

have a blessed image in this cursed thread

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 1, 2022

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Desert Bus posted:

Those thick cables always make me think of pics of impacted colons.

They're giving me "Victorian hair watch chain" vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

SniperWoreConverse posted:

This is weird but kind of cool

E:
The curse is if you Google it you get hundreds of people trying to sell them and no information about how and why they are made

Victorian hair jewelry is actually extremely cool. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_jewellery

There's still people who make it. This instagram has some neat process pictures of weaving a chain. https://www.instagram.com/mementos_entwined/?hl=en