Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013
$140

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Pass forever. (I understand it's probably strategically better to not tell my competitors that I intend to pass forever, but I told MisterBear that in private chat, because I had misunderstood the rules, so this is only fair).

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013
Pass

M&H goes to taser rates for $145

Bidding starts on C&A. If I've got the priorities right, Tekopo is first in line.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Pass

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013
Fat Samurai?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Oh, sorry, pass.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Would it be a good idea to PM/discord our highest bid to another player to speed this up?

Alternatively, you can all pass. :v:

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013
$185 and back to Tekopo

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Pass

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

190, Mister Bear

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013
195 - Tekope

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Pass

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013
Pass - Tekopo

When it comes to B&O, we're in the unusual situation of it not having any bids on it. This means that, starting from Tekopo as he has priority, it will go round with each player either passing or buying for face value. There's addition considerations if everyone passes - all privates will pay out and B&O goes down in price by $5 - but the same buy or pass will apply.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

MisterBear posted:

Pass - Tekopo

When it comes to B&O, we're in the unusual situation of it not having any bids on it. This means that, starting from Tekopo as he has priority, it will go round with each player either passing or buying for face value. There's addition considerations if everyone passes - all privates will pay out and B&O goes down in price by $5 - but the same buy or pass will apply.

Only the SVN drops in price if it remains unsold and there's a consecutive pass during the opening auction, all other private companies stay the same.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

MisterBear posted:

Pass - Tekopo

I don't have priority, the person next in line has first dibs, because I started the cascade. Also just pass me from now on.

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

taser rates posted:

Only the SVN drops in price if it remains unsold and there's a consecutive pass during the opening auction, all other private companies stay the same.

Yes, you're right - sorry, misremembered that it didn't apply to companies that aren't SVNRR

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

Tekopo posted:

I don't have priority, the person next in line has first dibs, because I started the cascade. Also just pass me from now on.

Just ran the ISR in Rails to double check where Priority lays - taser rates is first to buy or pass B&O

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Pass

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

pass

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013
Pass

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm not sure if it is in your best interest to pass, MisterBear.

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

Tekopo posted:

I'm not sure if it is in your best interest to pass, MisterBear.

It's ok, I'm not sure if it is either!

I'd change my mind, but I don't know what the appetite is here for allowing that.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The way I see it, either you or Dancer are the only ones that have even the barest interest in taking the B&O, and Dancer is in a stronger position than you. If we all pass, I make 20, taser makes 20, fat samurai makes 25 and dancer makes 10. So if we all pass, you are in a worse position and still joust with Dancer to see if he picks up the B&O.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I appreciate experienced players pointing out obvious mistakes, by the way. :3:

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013
My, potential, mistake was not to ensure that I took an earlier private - albeit in 5p 1830 you can only guarantee that you'll be able to float a company right from the start if:

1. You spend $78 or less in the ISR. $402 is enough for six shares at $67. $456 will get you six at $76.
2. You buy B&O at $200 and take a big loss by floating at $70 - but then you've spent $200 for $140 of goods.
3. You buy B&O for $201-$212. See above except at $67.

In this case, the ISR didn't run as long as I'd expected it to and the SVNRR was bought sooner than I thought it would. I would have taken C&O, but I liked it at $200, but not at $205.

My preference was thus for Dancer to buy B&O and I'd take my chances without a Private. Of course, since that now won't happen I'll take B&O if no one objects to my changing my mind!

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I will absolutely not pay for B&O and if we were physically at a table together I would've said this earlier. It's on you buddy...

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah no problem, just take it back .

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013
Right, lucky me gets the B&O for $200. Set Par price at $100.

On to SR1, Dancer has Priority. I'll post the stock round table in a couple of hours when I'm not running to work.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
The base price of the B&O is 220, not 200, unless I'm mistaken.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Sorry folks, I know it's my turn, I'm still trying to figure out what I should actually do. I'm open to suggestions I think?
Thinking out loud: so I'm the only person who can actually float and run a railway this round, unless I'm mistaken. That railway can't be the B&O. It can be the Pennsylvania, but that's probably a bad idea because Fat Samurai already owns 10%, maybe? Or is it actually good that I float that one, then I get a full railway with more cash on hand, so I can spend that cash on another railway that might pay out better than Penn (like B&O)... and it's a good railway to have regardless?

If I do neither of those, there are 6 railways left. Eerie sucks. Boston and Maine sucks slightly less but it's still bad because 3 different companies will be competing. Of the two NY railways, apparently NYH is the better one for now, partially because it doesn't need to lay its own starting tile, but it only has few station tokens, which feels like it would be a particularly big problem in a game with this many players. Canada Pacific is apparently on the weak side, but it's strengthened slightly because I have the C&StL private. And C&O is apparently just decent.

So options:
- get Penn to have a solid railway "for cheap"(benefit of potentially screwing over Fat Samurai? Dose it actually bother him at all?)
- get NYH for good immediate growth but it becomes weak later.
- get CanPac or C&O for something average.

Secondary decision: If I go for the Penn option, I might even set the par value high (up to 82$) and forego getting other shares. Having a high par is good, I think. But then there's less potential profit from dividends because I have less certificates.

I'll make a decision within the next few hours, if anyone has comments, feel free to mention them.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 15, 2017

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
My thoughts on early railroads are probably either the Penn, C&O or NYNH. C&O tends to be decent throughout, NYNH has good early money, and Penn only requires you to buy 5 shares, has a lot of control over who gets into NYC and is strong later, though weak at the start. CanPac tends to be more viable in 5/6 player games as well since they start off a bit slower than 3/4 player games. Having the C&STL also gives you control over "suitcasing" the CanPac later in the game.

Whatever you choose though, it's almost definitely a mistake to not set the par for your starting company to 67.

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013
First attempt at a stock round table -

It's going to be redone in Excel - turns out that I can't past ASCII drawing characters in here, so there's not so much point to this format!

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Yeah okay, buy PRR presidency, par at 67$.

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

Tekopo

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Pass

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I'll buy a Penn.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I have no idea of what to do, so I'm going to pass. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013
Sorry for the delay - my laptop went a bit funky yesterday and refused to boot into anything other than recovery mode. Thankfully not a hardware problem, some OS components had gotten corrupted, but still required an emergency backup and reinstall!

Pass

• Locked thread