Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
So are they doing some sort of "Well, it's Gretchen's choice to go with Jimmy and not just that poo poo went south with Boon" sort of situation? I don't know anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Who is this weird guy with a moustache and why do I love him even though I hate everything about him?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Moustache Hipster Guy sucks and I hate everything he stands for

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This episode was good and this show is still good but this season is setting up to likely be my least favourite so far. While the writing for the leads is spot-on they’ve shoved them into some sorta uninteresting storylines. I don’t care about Boone, or Jimmy’s adventures in the erotica scene, or Lindsay’s troubles making work friends, or Moustache Hipster Guy. I feel like keeping Jimmy and Gretchen apart so much rather than centring the season around their conflict has caused it to suffer. The final scene in this week’s episode was by far my favourite.

Also I hope Becca dies

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
My favorite subplot of the whole series is Becca trying to convince everyone Jimmy sucks while being the worst human being imaginable

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

My favorite subplot of the whole series is Becca trying to convince everyone Jimmy sucks while being the worst human being imaginable

her making out with her gay(?) friend right in front of Vernon was hilarious.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I'm behind an episode right now so I can only assume this is the mustache guy we all hate:

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
I have no idea where mustache guy came from. While last week's episode was great in its own way in character development, It feels like we watched that instead of watching how the other characters got to this episode. There was little to no build up to Jimmy's potential fling at the expo, which made that scene just sort of throw away. Linds' current status, while having the most of the backstory build up, just seems like a resetting of the button from where we saw her at the start of the season when she wasn't just dumb Lindsay and on her own. How or why did they de-evolve her?

Even more confusing is that Gretchen's really only development from last week's time invested in to her or even mention of that whole episode was just passing off her friendship bracelet to Lindsay

I'm also feeling like the writing is really good but the lack of them dealing with the actual conflict they set up from last week's season finale through all 8 episodes makes this the worst season so far. It was only at the last moments of the episode did it feel good again, but I don't have a clue what they're doing in doubling down on this whole Boone relationship build up.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Jack Skeleton posted:

There was little to no build up to Jimmy's potential fling at the expo, which made that scene just sort of throw away.

I thought they were building up the first women he kissed. :thejoke:

Lindsay was going to inevitably be the first and worst flandersization. I think giving her a reset might actually be ok for her character. She can be terrible in new and different ways!

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 19, 2017

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Skeleton posted:

I'm also feeling like the writing is really good but the lack of them dealing with the actual conflict they set up from last week's season finale through all 8 episodes makes this the worst season so far. It was only at the last moments of the episode did it feel good again, but I don't have a clue what they're doing in doubling down on this whole Boone relationship build up.

I didn't see it as that, as much. I think the sustained focus on Gretchen's reaction after Boone recommitted to their relationship was meant to be compared to Gretchen accepting Jimmy's proposal. She felt crushed by the weight of Boone's affection and empathized with Jimmy in that moment.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Johnny Pemberton is the worst. His stand up sucks. I was angry every time I saw him on screen.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Johnny Pemberton is one of those rare comedians which gets cast almost exclusively as 'most obnoxious person alive'.

I don't like him.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Saw him open for Duncan Trussell and he was alright.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

MiddleOne posted:

Johnny Pemberton is one of those rare comedians which gets cast almost exclusively as 'most obnoxious person alive'.

He's not so obnoxious in Son Of Zorn. It took till the second season of Superstore for me to realize Cheyanne's baby daddy/husband was the same actor.

I do like him, but mostly because he does a good job playing the douche character.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Victorkm posted:

He's not so obnoxious in Son Of Zorn. It took till the second season of Superstore for me to realize Cheyanne's baby daddy/husband was the same actor.

I do like him, but mostly because he does a good job playing the douche character.

Ahhhh that's right, couldn't remember where I saw him other than Superstore. He does a pretty decent job of playing awkward teenage son.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I dug the first 27 minutes of the episode but did we really need to see Gretchen get herself off to Jimmy loving around on her?

Also, the last scene of Edgar's plot this week was depressing as all hell. This was a very tonally awkward episode.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

DC Murderverse posted:

I dug the first 27 minutes of the episode but did we really need to see Gretchen get herself off to Jimmy loving around on her?

Also, the last scene of Edgar's plot this week was depressing as all hell. This was a very tonally awkward episode.

Jimmy's not loving around on her though. They're broken up. She thinks they might get back together. Jimmy is out trying to get laid because Gretchen brought her boyfriend and kid into the house. Juvenile, sure, but I don't think Jimmy went into the encounter trying to get "caught" by Gretchen. As for Gretchen masturbating, she's obviously disgusted with herself saying "what is wrong with me" before she jams her hands down her pants. Did we need to see that? No, probably not. Writers might be just trying to add some levity to a scene/episode that could have very well ended on a close-up shot of Gretchen in tears.

But yeah, Edgar's plot was depressing as hell. AV Club reviewer had an interesting take on it that didn't jump out to me. Edgar doesn't want people he just met to know he's a combat vet so they can form a natural relationship before they know that about him as he explained to his battle buddy. The delivery guy took that agency away from him and effectively "outed" him without his permission. Obviously delivery dude was loving pissed about having to come back with the chimmichurri, but Edgar could be reclaiming his own power through a giant dick move. I could see that.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Hmmmm...Amazon hasn't released it yet

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Man, this season is loving dark

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Yeah I didn't think there could be a shot of woman masturbating that's not inherently hot, yet there we are. Edgar's story was pretty hosed up too and so would be Lindsay if neglectful parent wasn't such a cliche explanation.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Get your poo poo together Amazon, I wanna watch my stories!

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
They're really delaying any of this sort of interaction between Jimmy and Gretchen. I'd gladly take them at war if it means they interact. This seems way too prolonged for me to give a poo poo about them either together or not.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah I didn't think there could be a shot of woman masturbating that's not inherently hot, yet there we are. Edgar's story was pretty hosed up too and so would be Lindsay if neglectful parent wasn't such a cliche explanation.

Honestly I found Jimmy worming his way into the British woman's Sunday Funday and being himself at them to be the most hosed up part of the show. That was crazily concentrated cringe comedy.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I guess Gretchen is just horribly broken.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
I just can't believe that here we are at the season finale and I honestly don't feel like we've progressed much in any of the characters from last season's finale.

There was hints, but then regression all the way on all parts. Linds was sort of functional at the start out of no where and now.. back to being dumb again. Gretchen.. I don't know why they kept this Boone story line going for so long. Felt like it should have been done in 2-3 episodes max. Jimmy hasn't gone through much of anything.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh two eps tomorrow? sick

But yeah gently caress Boone, this is definitely the worst season, although still a good-rear end show.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
All good things must come to an end

Actually, while it does suck to see it end, I'm amazed that it gets to end that way. For such an underwatched and under advertised show, it definitely beat the odds. A show ending on the creator's terms is rare enough as it is and tends to be more satisfying than if the network forces it to drag on *coughhowimetyourmother*cough*. I'll still be sad to see it go next year, though.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
I mean, it's not like they didn't warn us that It'll leave us anyway.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

This season's been pretty funny but I'll have to agree that it didn't feel like as much of progress was made by our characters as previously. So while a bit sad, I think another season would be just right for this type of show.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I'm just glad they're getting a planned finale instead of not being renewed on a cliff-hanger.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Five seasons is a good size run for a show like this imo, and with this season faltering a little I’m cool with this news! Definitely happy they beat the odds and got this many seasons.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finale was real good imo, despite a messy season it definitely ended well. And sets up next season as the last well, too.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
yeah, I enjoyed those two episodes a lot. Honestly, I'm just frustrated that those two episodes should have been episode 5 and 6 of this season. Instead we got a whole lot of pointless filler that had only the smallest examples of what made this show amazing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I still think the show is destined to end badly for Gretchen and Jimmy, but holy poo poo that was a good finale. They got back together but are both still terrible, broken people.

Aya Cash is an obscenely good actress. This season wasn't quite as good as the others but man it had some great moments.

Also love that there's no payoff to Vernon's accident. Shroedingers Patient.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I blame this season on Gretchen's eyebrows. WTF.

Went thru a lot of emotions during the finale. Good stuff.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, that pulled things together really well. Not sure it justified some of the rest of the season (Jimmy's endless flings in particular) but whatever.

Dr Tran posted:

I blame this season on Gretchen's eyebrows. WTF.

Yeah, I'm glad I'm not the only one who was distracted.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

So apparently I somehow missed episode 11, huh. Anyway, yeah great two episodes to wrap up the season. I can't see this ending well for either of them sadly, "you fought for me" isn't a great reason to blow up a promising relationship with an actual adult person, but we'll see.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
was he an actual adult? They kept on switching it up with Boone. One minute he had his poo poo together, the next he would be head locking his ex's new husband. Someone with their poo poo together would not be with Gretchen. It seems like they completely avoided the topic of banging at Jimmy's place so.. like, that as a bit odd. So he had no real moral high ground on any thing half the time and the other half the writers didn't know what to do with him.

I honestly could have been happy with half the amount of him in the season.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
RIGHT OR WRONG, I CAN’T HELP BUT EXPRESS MYSELF LIKE A BRATTY CHILD. DON’T LISTEN TO ME.
I think Boone served as a vehicle to show Gretchen wanted to be with someone normal, didn't know what normal is, and wouldn't stay with it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's relative.

• Locked thread