Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

PAUL IS AN MRA THIS IS NOT A DRILL PAUL IS AN MRA

They're really leaning into that show title this year between Paul's redpilling and Becca's Trumpism.

we may have to seriously consider that Vernon is literally the best person on the show. (aside from Edgar, assuming you discount his past as a drug addict and bad soldier in the middle east)

Vernon is almost definitely the best on the show.

I'm still not really sure how I feel about this season. I don't really see there being a future with Boone anyway, because he's got a daughter. Jimmy might finally be starting to realize a little that it's time to grow up, too, but I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

normally I'd agree with you, but the absolutely vicious way Boone dealt with his ex's new husband makes me think he and Gretchen might be perfect for one another.

Very true. I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop, but that may not happen. There are so many things that seem like they could go either way on this show.

Boone's horrified reactions to Gretchen's blowup over his "wife" are hilarious in hindsight, though.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

The AV Club review really makes a great point of this: the characters on this show are kinda growing away from each other. Obviously Lindsey and Edgar are slowly getting to the point where they're better friends with each other than they were/are with Gretchen and Jimmy, and those two are both exploring new avenues of their lives that will definitely not lead them back to each other. I can't (and don't want to) see a finale that blows everything up and returns to the status quo, and honestly if the show were to end after this season, with Gretch and Boone being rear end in a top hat gently caress buddies and Gretchen learning to care for a child, Jimmy fully giving into the erotica writing community and becoming a sad lonely man who fucks any lonely 43 year old woman who likes his writing, and Lindsey and Edgar living together as successful people with progressing careers, I'd be perfectly OK with that. Sometimes relationships aren't the ones that last forever. Jimmy is either going to have to change or end up unhappy though; I can't see him getting a happy ending without making a massive change to who he is as a person.

Also, I had some severe worries about pairing Lindsey and Edgar at the start of this season, but the longer it goes on, the more it makes sense. They're at roughly the same part of their lives, with very complimentary mindsets, and the two of them showing genuine interest in each other is actually very sweet. Probably about as sweet as the show gets.

That's a really tough balance to pull off. You don't want to stagnate because the show gets way too repetitive (and you could say that it maybe was doing that already last season) but if you too radically alter the central core of the show you can alienate your audience. I'm not saying that'll happen, since I'm not sure it's that kind of show. I think what they've got is worth continuing to watch, and I'm curious to see which way it goes. Jimmy absolutely cannot keep things as they are currently. Maybe his going to that poorly-named conference is part of that, because it used to represent a genre he thought was beneath him.

• Locked thread