Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Metroid is a science fiction action adventure series created by Nintendo, it's notable in being the core progenitor of what is known today as the Metroidvania genre.

The series follows galactic bounty hunter Samus Aran on her many adventures to rid the galaxy of the threats posed by an army of Space Pirates lead by a dragon who refuses to die, a radioactive sentient substance known as Phazon, and of course the eponymous life sucking bioweapons, the Metroids.

Metroid's main strengths as a series are its organically laid out worlds that boast a great sense of interconnected progression and moody dark atmosphere.

For a while it seemed like this series was dead in the water. Other M had all but destroyed the series reputation and the only thing we'd gotten since was an aggressively mediocre spin-off for the 30th anniversary.

But now, 13 years since the last 2D metroid, 10 years since Metroid Prime 3, 1 year since Nintendo yanked AM2R's ripcord with a DMCA takedown, we have two new non spin-off Metroid games down the pipeline. Samus is back y'all.

The Games:

Metroid (NES)/Metroid Zero Mission(GBA):
The one that started it all. Samus must journey into the depth of the planet Zebes to infiltrate a Space Pirate Base in the ruins of her old home in order to find and destroy their deadly new weapon, the Metroids. Zero Mission is an enhanced remake and the recommended version to play.

Metroid II: Return of Samus(Game Boy)/Metroid: Samus Returns(3DS, releases 9/15)
The galactic federation tasks Samus with exploring the abandoned planet SR388, birthplace of the Metroids, in order to exterminate the dangerous species before it can cause further threat to the galaxy. The 3DS remake comes out next friday and will probably become the definitive version of the game. Worst case scenario, AM2R still exists if you look in the right places.

Super Metroid(SNES)
The Last Metroid is in captivity, the galaxy is at peace... Or so it would seem. Samus must return to Zebes to annihilate the Space Pirate threat once and for all. Pretty much the best game ever made. Fight me.

Metroid: Fusion(GBA)
An expedition to the now Metroid-Free SR388 leads the galactic federation to discover the X parasite, natural prey of the Metroid. Her suit infected by this parasite, Samus has to undergo a procedure that fuses her DNA with that of a Metroid in order to survive and fight them. The catch to this, however, is there's now a fully infected power suit running around, and it wants Samus dead.

Metroid Prime(GC), Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC), Metroid Prime 3: Corruption(Wii)/Metroid Prime Trilogy(Wii)
Taking place sometime between Metroid and Metroid II, this first person adventure trilogy sees Samus scouring several planets infected by a sentient mutagen known as Phazon. Along the way she'll fight pirates, Metroids, and maybe even...herself??

Metroid: Other M(Wii)
Takes place between Super and Fusion. The less said about this one, the better. Don't play it unless you want to see Sakamoto write Samus as a submissive waifu with no emotions.

SOON:

Coming to Nintendo Switch...eventually!

This thread is intended to be both a megathread and a Samus Returns + Metroid Prime 4 thread once those hit. Feel free to also discuss the various spinoffs. I'm sure a lot of you have some deep stuff to say about Metroid Prime Pinball.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Any of you fine folks ever play Metroid Rogue Dawn? It's at least the second best Metroid game to come out in 2017!

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013
How dare you, how could you forget Metroid Prime: Hunters??

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy

Sinistral posted:

How dare you, how could you forget Metroid Prime: Hunters??

I'm personally a fan of Metroid Prime Pinball

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I'm an idiot and put the wrong drat date in the thread title. Samus Returns is out the 15th.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I just want to say that I think the NES Metroid is (weirdly?) super underrated. Like people put it on the same sort of level as Zelda 2 as being insanely hard and/or just in general something that has not aged well and treat the game as nothing more than a nostalgia piece. If anything to me NES Metroid has aged way better than say the Marios, and I'd even call it kind of easy provided you play it in as few sittings as possible so you don't have to spend a lot of time recharging.

It has a great look and sound (Kraid's Lair remains the best single Metroid track ever) and while a bit floaty is still very fun to control, especially once you get the screw attack. And to me if anything the lack of a map makes the exploration all that much more meaningful; the game is small enough that it's still not going be that much of an impediment.

Anyway, I like it a lot!!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

All NES metroid needs to age well is a minimap but even then its still a fun game with a great ost though it's way easier to get lost than zero mission.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Zaggitz posted:

All NES metroid needs to age well is a minimap but even then its still a fun game with a great ost though it's way easier to get lost than zero mission.

There is actually a NES hack that does this.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1988/

Also adds in saving, minimap, and some other improvements.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

BexGu posted:

There is actually a NES hack that does this.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1988/

Also adds in saving, minimap, and some other improvements.
I was on board with this until I saw the changed sprites and that it just straight up gives you a full map at the start rather than let you fill it in as you explore. Gross!

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Nate RFB posted:

I was on board with this until I saw the changed sprites and that it just straight up gives you a full map at the start rather than let you fill it in as you explore. Gross!

The one I linked just have three improvements in one package. Im sure you can get the hack that just adds a mini map on its own if you look around romhacking a little bit.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The comparison between original metroid and zelda 2 only really works if you consider that metroid is in itself basically Zelda but sci fi and in side scroller form. By that metric metroid is a way better zelda 2 than zelda 2 was.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is there any sign Samus Returns will be any good? It's made by some Spaniards with a questionable record. I mean, I'm all about a Metroid 2 remake since that's when I really started playing but I'm worried.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there any sign Samus Returns will be any good? It's made by some Spaniards with a questionable record. I mean, I'm all about a Metroid 2 remake since that's when I really started playing but I'm worried.

Famitsu scored it 8s across the board, which is pretty good considering Japan has never really been big on metroid. NA Review embargo lifts on the 12th but everyone I've seen who has advanced copies seems pretty optimistic..

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Saw a boss battle that looked fantastic aside from being a little bit long i think the game might end up being good.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I took out a loan to buy all the game modes

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Zaggitz posted:

Famitsu scored it 8s across the board, which is pretty good considering Japan has never really been big on metroid. NA Review embargo lifts on the 12th but everyone I've seen who has advanced copies seems pretty optimistic..

Never ever go by a famitsu score.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

every site that got to play it early said it feels and looks great so I'm not worried. I'm excited to play a new one with quality of life improvements like grappler beams and melee parries. Combat is an iffy thing in Metroid games so whatever makes it more fun, I'm all for.

I started backwards with Metroid games but felt it was the best way to learn them: Fusion, then Zero Mission, then Super.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I wonder how the counter is going to change the feel of things

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Been replaying zero mission in anticipation. Still the best controlling metroid game.

Thunder Sheep
Apr 3, 2009

Not sure if I'm picking up the new one since I tried playing Fusion and couldn't get into it. I just finished Federation Force and loved it so it would be cool if it was more like that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fly away troll

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Why can't metroid crawl?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Thunder Sheep posted:

I just finished Federation Force and loved it so it would be cool if it was more like that.

:frogout:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I'm married to Ridley

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Samus is the unexpected. Say hello to the Melee Counter.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is Return of Samus like Met2 in that the whole game is led by the Metroid counter and exterminating them all, while the lava drains away so you can access lower and lower places? I loved those two things and never saw anything like them since.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is Return of Samus like Met2 in that the whole game is led by the Metroid counter and exterminating them all, while the lava drains away so you can access lower and lower places? I loved those two things and never saw anything like them since.

Yes, they even have a justification for it now. You need to collect all the metroid dna in a given area for a chozo monument to lower the acid.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The only thing I know about Other M is that cutscene with Samus explaining in the most convoluted way possible the true meaning behind giving a dude a thumbs down and it's loving hilarious

Can't wait to beat Super Metroid for the millionth time when I get my SNES classic

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Other M is so loving bad and Prime is so goddamn good

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Good soup! posted:

The only thing I know about Other M is that cutscene with Samus explaining in the most convoluted way possible the true meaning behind giving a dude a thumbs down and it's loving hilarious

Can't wait to beat Super Metroid for the millionth time when I get my SNES classic

The only thing you really need to know about Other M is that Yoshio Sakamoto is a really bad person.

I'm pretty tentatively excited for Samus Returns. I've been wanting a good official 2D Metroid for ages now.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:thumbsup:

THE SYMBOL OF ME GIVING A THUMBS UP TO THAT POST WAS THE ULTIMATE CULMINATION OF MY POSITIVE ATTITUDE AND A REFLECTION OF THE JOYFULNESS AND EUPHORIA FELT IN THAT MOMENT

I wanna be just like Samus when I grow up

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Zaggitz posted:

Yes, they even have a justification for it now. You need to collect all the metroid dna in a given area for a chozo monument to lower the acid.
Yay, I'm excited about a Metroid game for the first time since....Zero?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Prime 3 was good.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

Prime 3 was good.
It was okay but nothing about it, or the lead up to it, excited me. I totally want to play a (good) remake of 2 though.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Prime 3 had a lot of cool moments. I'm a fan of the part where Samus made a giant gently caress-off bomb and air dropped it to get into the giant phazon seed. This includes the part where you had to fight off space pirates to stay away from the bomb on the way there.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Ready for Samus Returns. This was my first time 100%ing this one and goddamn does it have some tough shine spark puzzles for the last few upgrades.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Nothing about the game looks bad and Nintendo has an established track record of squeezing good games out of mediocre studios.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I managed to get a pre-order for the special edition with the soundtrack, but couldn't get one for the amiibo. Going to make an attempt on the day to get some, but if not I might just get some NFC tags. Why can't they just sell the DLC as well as have it available on the amiibo?

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

WilliamAnderson posted:

I managed to get a pre-order for the special edition with the soundtrack, but couldn't get one for the amiibo. Going to make an attempt on the day to get some, but if not I might just get some NFC tags. Why can't they just sell the DLC as well as have it available on the amiibo?

I'm in the same boat, special edition but no amiibo. My goal will be to try and order the two pack from Best Buy first thing in the morning on Friday for in store pickup, since it doesn't look like they do preorders I guess?

I'm playing through Zero Mission again for the first time in years, I've still got my single wall wall jumps and infinite bomb jumps (slow way and fast way) down. Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Zaggitz posted:

This was my first time 100%ing this one and goddamn does it have some tough shine spark puzzles for the last few upgrades.

Those are exactly why I've never 100%ed Zero Mission. :(

• Locked thread