Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

and then the same enemy doing the same thing 5 more times in a row in the same hallway
and then oh man you got the screw attack now we can fill every single surface with enemies so you're just doing nothing but screw attacking around in clumsy circles rubbing up against enemies to kill them instantly over and over again until the game ends and every second of the finale will be drowned in screw attacks sounds and monsters shrieking and explosions and pew pew pew
it's not hard, it's just annoying.
it's not unfair or punishing, it's just annoying.
it's clumsy, white noise game design. it isn't fun. it isn't engaging. it's pure filler

You're discussing something that is literally part of every Metroid game. A general part of the core Metroid design is that enemies become rapidly trivialized and less dangerous as you progress, which is an intentional element of the game's design there to make the player feel more powerful and foster a sense of progression. It's basically the entire *reason* for the Screw Attack, it is the point that enemies become literally fodder. This is true of every Metroid game the Screw Attack has been in. If you don't like that that is fine but it's literally the purpose of the Screw Attack, it's the ultimate exploration upgrade where you no longer have to even pause to shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

You're discussing something that is literally part of every Metroid game. A general part of the core Metroid design is that enemies become rapidly trivialized and less dangerous as you progress, which is an intentional element of the game's design there to make the player feel more powerful and foster a sense of progression. It's basically the entire *reason* for the Screw Attack, it is the point that enemies become literally fodder. This is true of every Metroid game the Screw Attack has been in. If you don't like that that is fine but it's literally the purpose of the Screw Attack, it's the ultimate exploration upgrade where you no longer have to even pause to shoot.

it makes it trivial to backtrack, which is why it's given at the end of the games. they never used it as an excuse to make huge expanses of level filled with the same 4 or 5 enemies you've been fighting the entire game and just loving throw them at you constantly so that you're never doing anything but screw attacking. at most they'd have like one room that's flooded with owls right after you get the screw attack to demonstrate how powerful it is. you don't need to drag that process out for another hour of gameplay

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The game gives you the Ice beam super early on which renders almost every enemy from that point on vulnerable to a single missile or even just a melee swing.

Fair enough, I was using ice beam + missiles at a point, I think I just got sick of doing it or something. I'm gripeing a bit much but I kinda found aiming + missiles to be uncomfortable. Like it's fine when you can take your time, but in any situations where you're trying to be mobile it kinda sucks.

Monkey Fracas posted:

regular enemies not dying in one hit of the Screw Attack is illegal

Regular enemies only being killable with the yellow aeon power are also annoying as heck. I'm sure i'll be told I'm dumb and wrong for this but I think that stuff was downright poor design. Enemies flashing upon damage makes me assume it's working rather not. I don't really get why shooting something really super fast and good kills it when just pumping a ton of damage into it doesn't - not to mention you can use the aeon power but if you let off to early you need to start again. I guess it's more like you're over heating the enemy but I still think it's communicated poorly / was an unnecessary gate mechanism.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

it makes it trivial to backtrack, which is why it's given at the end of the games. they never used it as an excuse to make huge expanses of level filled with the same 4 or 5 enemies you've been fighting the entire game and just loving throw them at you constantly so that you're never doing anything but screw attacking. at most they'd have like one room that's flooded with owls right after you get the screw attack to demonstrate how powerful it is. you don't need to drag that process out for another hour of gameplay

You have some helluva rose-tinted nostalgia glasses and a whole boatload of hyperbole. The Screw Attack comes early enough in both Super and Zero Mission that you've plenty of game left to go to use it in. (By Metroid standards, natch, the games are not very long.) Every game that gives it to you gives you plenty of new areas to explore with it in addition to backtracking.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The density of enemies in Samus Returns is a pretty legitimate complaint. I think both the mechanics and progression of enemy difficulty are just fine, but there's definitely more enemies in the game than other 2D Metroids, and far more enemies than Metroid 2. As pointed out earlier in the thread, the density of enemies in the final two areas as the escape really alter the game thematically from Metroid 2 as well.

Samus Returns is pretty much the most combat focused of the 2D Metroids, though not entirely out of line with the style of combat found in earlier titles. I guess whether you like or not depends on how much you like Metroid's combat vs. exploration and other aspects.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Monkey Fracas posted:

regular enemies not dying in one hit of the Screw Attack is illegal

arrest these devs

IIRC, in Metroid Prime 3 there were some enemies that when you used the Spin Attack they wouldn't die. I think it was some of the bigger Space Pirates? I honestly don't remember what it was like in MP2 though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Isn't the Prime games' version of the Screw Attack a combination of the Space Jump and Wall Jump that only moved in one direction, gave you only five jumps, and was only effective on weaker enemies?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

Regular enemies only being killable with the yellow aeon power are also annoying as heck. I'm sure i'll be told I'm dumb and wrong for this but I think that stuff was downright poor design. Enemies flashing upon damage makes me assume it's working rather not. I don't really get why shooting something really super fast and good kills it when just pumping a ton of damage into it doesn't - not to mention you can use the aeon power but if you let off to early you need to start again. I guess it's more like you're over heating the enemy but I still think it's communicated poorly / was an unnecessary gate mechanism.

I do kinda like that the solution to enemies that won't die from shooting them with your beam isn't like "oh you're not correctly exploiting this enemy's weakness like a clever person" but "More Beam! 300% More BEAMS"

It's kinda stupid but I'm glad the machine gun beam is in the game.

Ventana posted:

IIRC, in Metroid Prime 3 there were some enemies that when you used the Spin Attack they wouldn't die. I think it was some of the bigger Space Pirates? I honestly don't remember what it was like in MP2 though.

I wanna say that this is fine in the Prime games if they decide that a specific enemy is going to be a roadblock for you when you're traversing but not like every enemy in the later areas of a game like in Samus Returns.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

TFRazorsaw posted:

Isn't the Prime games' version of the Screw Attack a combination of the Space Jump and Wall Jump that only moved in one direction, gave you only five jumps, and was only effective on weaker enemies?

Hey now, it was effective on bosses too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LXR65pP0IA

Monkey Fracas posted:

I wanna say that this is fine in the Prime games if they decide that a specific enemy is going to be a roadblock for you when you're traversing but not like every enemy in the later areas of a game like in Samus Returns.

Yeah sorry I'm not really disagreeing with you or anything, just being contrarian.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ventana posted:

The Screw Attack in Echoes/Corruption was never intended to be used as an "attack" so much as a jump extender. Even if it wasn't limited to five jumps, the most directional input you could give it was slightly tilting Samus to the right or left.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Every enemy charging you right as they see you pretty much just means that if you wanna parry something you don't have to wait around to do it. It also makes them more predictable, meaning it's easier to jump over them and ignore them than it would if they were just doin random stuff or moving around.

Saying it's "built around the parry" is kind of odd when the charge attacks don't actually prevent you from using any other tools (or just leaving).

And pretty much any enemy that turns out to be weirdly hard to kill is just there to use the beam Aeon on and they give a crapton of resources back. But, again, they can pretty much just be ignored if you don't like them.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i mean the downside to everything being built around the parry is it makes everything really predictable. it's less that i mind every enemy has a charge attack and more that i mind the first thing they do is charge at you. there is a lot of enemies, but with how fast you can kill things with parry or ice+missile or whatever, the abundance of enemies doesn't really make things take an obnoxiously long time but it does make things repetitive whether you're fighting or just jumping over things.

granted, enemies in metroid games have always followed predictable patterns, but with how everything charges at you in a straight line with a bright flash of white, it feels less like "this is how this enemy naturally acts" and more "they wouldn't be doing this if the parry didn't exist". things definitely feel like they were built around the parry for better or worse

for clarity i liked samus returns a lot and found the parry fun, just i can see where people find it a problem instead

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Augus posted:

You know how many loving bats are in this game?

Less than there are posts of you whining in this thread.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ometeotl posted:

Less than there are posts of you whining in this thread.

you really don't like that I'm criticizing a Nintendo game huh

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Beat the game tonight. Some of the upgrades seemed obxoxious to grab, more so than other 2D Metroids. It doesn’t seem as speedrun friendly. The game is ugly as gently caress compared to AM2R but the 3D was cool and I enjoyed it more overall, especially when it came to bosses.

Kinda silly to throw in Ridley at the last moment but the fight was so intense that I forgive them for it. I thought I was going to break my 3DS during that. The 3DS just isn’t made for intense action.:v:

The parry was fun. I could see the complaints in the early game but it becomes trivial quickly.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 20, 2017

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Holy poo poo, just scored sub-4 hours for normal mode of SR! The discovery that I didn't have to ever turn on the Grapple Beam was a massive time saver for me, as was practicing my Ice Beam/Misisle quick firing.

Now to do it for Hard and Fusion modes :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I bought Samus Returns at launch but due to having a ton of other commitments (one of which being Breath of the Wild) I wasn't able to really throw myself into it until a few days ago.

14 hours for 100%, but that's just my general Metroid style which has never ever been geared towards speedrunning. I like taking my time exploring and would always backtrack immediately to test out new abilities/powerups to see if they'd open up the path to areas I had marked.

Definitely loved the game overall. In the inevitable AM2R vs. SR war I still think I prefer AM2R for having a far more pleasing aesthetic and soundtrack. A part of me is kind of disappointed that so many previous tracks from Super and elsewhere were re-purposed for this game. However the boss fights in SR are a big improvement over AM2R, even insanely frustrating ones like that robot boss were fun by the end once I had the patterns and sequences figured out.

• Locked thread