Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Power stance is very sick

Beat the first boss non my first try. Not that major a deal I guess lol considering I'm a big time souls man now but still nice. Hd some trouble early on before I realise I could target lock his legs as the caeustos has a very narrow damage cone.

Found a few areas with my soldier key and cleared out the two scaffolding areas near the bonfire. One with tonnes of archers before the Pursuer first appearance roof and one where I just dropped off the lip just outside the bonfire room.

Found a path with skeletons and my pal told me to light my way so I did and that was a fun area. But the area just after it might be the most upsetting room I've ever faces in souls game lol. a Turtle that instantly runs me down from super far away when I have to stay on a super thin ledge with him, way more aggro range than normal. Then on the rough three more turtles who if I ignore will just instantly aggro and chase after me when I go past a certain point way away from them lol but not when I'm much closer and more visible. Then in the middle of all that a black phantom keeps attacking. And he seems to spawn the second I walk in sometimes or not for ages. My pal said she got lucky and got to 1v1 him in the Skelton room but she's also much better than me lol and beat the first game with a no level up run.

Gonna go find more alternate branches and do that one when I'm a beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress now I want to do a caestus run.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Pursuer is really hard lol. I've hit him like twice, doing good damage on my hits but not getting the timing for dodging on him at all right yet. Giant was a lot easier lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Pursuer is the first of the two good bosses until the DLC so enjoy it.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Caestus rule!! I went in pretty much blind on DaS2 and bought a pair at the hag in Forest of Giants, and I didn't use a single other weapon or a shield for the rest of the game, including the new game plus. They're super fast, hit hard and have good stagger; especially the power-stance two-hit combo is great for sure! I liked using 2-handed weapons in DaS, but they sort of reduce a lot of fights to being a R2 or a R2 lunge-attack opener that just flattens most enemies and then a guaranteed follow-up hit with R1 that kills like 4 out of 5 enemies without you really needing to engage with them. Doesn't matter if it is a chump hollow or a Sen's lizard man dude or a anything else short of the really big lads; you sorta end up doing that for sooo many enemies.

2xhanding is still bad rear end and fun, but the caestus needing you to get close and not having quite as crazy a stagger imo made for a bit more involved fights before you get your stagger or shield-break in. Fighting something like a regular Heide knight and one with a spear feels super different imo when you have to get so close. There's still a lot of enemies that you can stun-lock, but playing caestus felt more involved to me while still being a super strong weapon. There was really only one fight where I was really tempted to switch weapons for a bit because I felt a bit screwed with the short range the DLC boss when a bunch of lizard-soldiers with long-reach halberds swarms in but they're pretty nice in taking turns at getting at you, and knocking all the big lads on their asses with your fists is bad rear end as hell :hellyeah:

I took a bunch of videos during my DaS2 run of bosses and PvP that I forgot I had.

A more honorable than skilled PvP slap-fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3RBqR50FL0

Trying to be extremely honorable and letting this guy heal before we start, but he started: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_Ck2MKbIsM

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Reading the thread from the start and lmfao at this bob clip

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Beat the Pursuer. Not nearly as nice a win as Go5 but had a pretty good first half after a rocky opening so decided to start using life gems in the second. Misread his attacks a lot that second half but managed to get back enough flow to win with double caestus. Never block ftw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaIxyVm4MEk

Much more importantly I did a couple of co op runs after I won to help others and my pal told me about the ballistas so one fight I won for the host just using those. And in the other the host summoned two phantoms and killed the other with the ballista lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6VTAyBjVCQ

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
I was surprised when I found a new type of Estus flask in the tutorial area and learned that there is a skill-point system now for weapon-abilities! Seems like a neat addition! I picked the bandit and felt pretty bad rear end about killing the lizard-enemy with the cold breath attack on my first try, and the first boss, too, but then I found a samurai NPC guarding a gate and he kicked my rear end. I figured I could take him on a re-match, but the bastard parried me and I lost the souls from both the boss and the frost-lizard before entering Firelink lol. I got the npc samurai guy on my next try and he dropped a katana which was very tempting to check out, since his moves seemed bad rear end, so I beelined for the dex requirement, but it felt much slower than I'd have expected, and did worse damage than the axe despite having better stats for the scaling after beelining for the 15 dex requirement and ignoring strenght, so I stuck with 2handing the starter axe for now.

I've tried out the moveset of the handful of weapons I've found so far, but the starter axe is still my favorite so far. It seemed cool that the katana, broadsword and longsword have alternate stance and 2 abilities, but the abilities of stuff I've found, other than parry, just feels like they have long windup. Like, a couple of the weapons had abilities for dealing with shields (found a mailbreaker also), but doing the regular kick shield-break seems faster and doesn't consume the small amount of FP you have. I don't wanna ignore those active skills, but besides the battle axe self buff, the FP-consuming skills aren't clicking with me yet.

After putting the sword into the bonfire I ran around like an idiot for 10-15 minutes trying to find the exit and trying to get ontop of the shrine before realizing you were meant to teleport out lol

I forget the name of it, but the area after firelink was cool. A bunch of the enemies there are pretty impressive and the comment about DaS3 being faster paced def makes sense. I got scared by an especially fancy looking knight near the bottom of the level and he killed me, but I got him 2nd try and the boss on my first go :hellyeah:

EmmyOk posted:

Beat the Pursuer. Not nearly as nice a win as Go5 but had a pretty good first half after a rocky opening so decided to start using life gems in the second. Misread his attacks a lot that second half but managed to get back enough flow to win with double caestus. Never block ftw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaIxyVm4MEk

Much more importantly I did a couple of co op runs after I won to help others and my pal told me about the ballistas so one fight I won for the host just using those. And in the other the host summoned two phantoms and killed the other with the ballista lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6VTAyBjVCQ

Good job! Also, it really rules how easy it has been to get some co-op and PvP action when playing DaS and DaS 2 this late; I hope that'll be true for DaS3, too. I also wanna solo stuff the first time around in order to not be carried, but doing a couple of co-ops after defating a boss is fun!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the weapon skills are a cool concept but they probably shouldnt have made every single weapon have one, since it means a lot are copied or mildly useless. boss weapons tend to have super unique FP attacks though that can be rly fun to use

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

my main takeaway from Das2 so far

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
going from mainlining sekiro for a few weeks to ds2 is like jumping into a pool of molasses

also a caestus run really magnifies the difficulty of some areas. Like the easy areas are piss easy because I can just stunlock every enemy to death, whereas the hard areas like archer-infested rooms or loving no man's wharf/shrine of amana just become even more of a joyless slog than before

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
A caestus run would prevent you from powerstancing, right? That feature alone makes Dark Souls 2 more enjoyable so it'd be tough to do without it.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

why can’t you powerstance Caestuses?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I was wrong, you can powerstance with them. I didn't think it was possible to dual wield with them for some reason.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 23, 2020

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

You can duel wielding Caestus in powerstance is insanely fun and sick. You get this cool double punch on L1 and a stupid spinning backfist tornado that is never safe on l2

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Klowner posted:

going from mainlining sekiro for a few weeks to ds2 is like jumping into a pool of molasses

also a caestus run really magnifies the difficulty of some areas. Like the easy areas are piss easy because I can just stunlock every enemy to death, whereas the hard areas like archer-infested rooms or loving no man's wharf/shrine of amana just become even more of a joyless slog than before

drat you’re tearing through this lol i have no dea where those are. Doesn’t it feel badass as hell just beating bosses and hard enemies with no shields or magic? Just your Armstrong failmy fists

I unfroze a lad after fighting a second pursuer who was easier but still took maybe 10 tries lol before i beat him with no damage. Fought a room full of royal knights and managed never to die which felt bad arse.

Taking on three tall armoured insect lads. Beat one and almost two before dying. Don’t think it’ll take more than a couple tries though.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

iirc weapon duro was really hosed up in ds2 and thats why they made the decision to make it the confirm button instead of hitting walls or whatever but maybe i was high idk

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Weapon duro is totally pointless in SotFs lol I've never come close to breaking before getting back to a bonfire, they may as well have removed it if they were gonna raise it so much. It didn't make any sense in DaS either, very rarely broke stuff outside of one or two enemies with eroding. They should have made that a status effect and if they wanted to limited super powerful weapons make that a separate thing that reset at bonfires imo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In OG DS2 durability was tied to framerate so if you played the PC version at 60fps weapons degraded absurdly fast. They fixed it to some degree in SotFS

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I broke the Smelter Demon's greatsword a bunch because its special attack took a shitload off the durability meter every time you used it. Depending on what you do in SOTFS you could be looking at back-to-back-to-back bosses near the end which is enough to wreck durability too. It's a totally broken system.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

I had to swap out my weapon due to breakage during the fight with Sinh, the Slumbering Dragon in SotFS.

Ds3 meanwhile has such a system that I have never had to repair anything after playing through it several times.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I was wrong, you can powerstance with them. I didn't think it was possible to dual wield with them for some reason.

There's also a late dlc weapon that can be powerstanced with the caestus, it's great for a ng+ run

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think ds2 has the most interesting implementation of Durability because it encourages you to carry different kinds of weapons. I've run out of durability on weapons in ds2 before and carried backup weapons without any repair powder. Plus equip load penalties are much more lenient than ds1, you get an extra weapon slot per hand, and durability resets at bonfires. every other souls game durability is almost never relevant until it becomes a minor nuisance.

okay I'm off my soapbox now.

EmmyOk posted:

drat you’re tearing through this lol i have no dea where those are. Doesn’t it feel badass as hell just beating bosses and hard enemies with no shields or magic? Just your Armstrong failmy fists

I unfroze a lad after fighting a second pursuer who was easier but still took maybe 10 tries lol before i beat him with no damage. Fought a room full of royal knights and managed never to die which felt bad arse.

Taking on three tall armoured insect lads. Beat one and almost two before dying. Don’t think it’ll take more than a couple tries though.

Beating enemies to death with my bare hands loving owns. I don't know why I've never tried this before. R1 into L1 is so satisfying

(I didn't get to shrine of amana yet but I know it's gonna be a pain in the rear end)

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

*rolls thru barrels & into thread* Caestus rule!!!!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

iirc there's an absurdly fun fist weapon in the final dlc that turns you into Ryu but isn't actually very good

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

iirc there's an absurdly fun fist weapon in the final dlc that turns you into Ryu but isn't actually very good

its actually pretty great, does way more damage than the caestus or claws and the moveset's more varied. sadly you dont get it until the rear end end of the game so its not actually thyat useful

ps fist weapons fuckin blow in 2 not because they aren't fun but because theyre lousy for dealing with crowds and the morons who did enemy placement put crowds every fuckin where because the games balanced around enemies eventually permanently despawning. also when you get the claws put poison on them and you'll get a fuckin vicious status weapon, they'll rack up bleed and poison super fast. its basically the only way to deal with enemies who take no damage from phys

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah i haven’t ran into any enemies like that yet thankfully. Crowds haven’t been too bad so far, I think I got swarmed twice. Managed to beat the absolute hive of royal knights who attacked me from the room with the petrified statue that leads to the three tall boys each time safely enough.

In the Demon Souls remaster i hope they bring back powerstancing because I’d like to actually be able to use the Hands of God in a cool way.

Haven’t blocked or used magic once yet in this play through only dodge and punch :blastu:

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

[twisted convoluted 300 paragraph essay about how dark souls 2 skeleton closets with pointless weapon breaking unless you played the vanilla pc version is actually amazeballs, much better than mario]

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

[twisted convoluted 300 paragraph essay about how dark souls 2 skeleton closets with pointless weapon breaking unless you played the vanilla pc version is actually amazeballs, much better than mario]

[complementary essay about how agility is genius because hiding core game mechanics behind obscure tooltips with no other feedback allows elite players to achieve satori upon deeper analysis]

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Fungah! posted:

[complementary essay about how agility is genius because hiding core game mechanics behind obscure tooltips with no other feedback allows elite players to achieve satori upon deeper analysis]

lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

enough! dark souls and form software ruined videogames. it wasn't really bad 3rd person dad shooters or yearly cod/asscreed installments! the bastards!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Stuck on the sentinels behind the Petrified man atm maybe died like 20 times lol. I can usually kill he first one, but now and then he slips off the ledge and then I’m hosed. Then i wait for the second one to come up and get him to maybe 50% before the other jumps up. And then once i roll down to the ground i don’t really do any more damage on either. Tried being aggressive on the ground my last tow attempts and did better because they seem to alternate who is attacking. But if you get close one goes off screen and it’s just really hard to avoid or hit when that happens. I never enjoy bosses or encounters that are just like “an easy guy but a few of them so they just stagger you when you try and hit one lol”.

Came close with lightning on my gloves once but got greedy and pushed for the final hit on the second one when the third guy was jumping up and got hit.

Also it’s incredibly lame that you take fall damage from that height. I’d say 4 or 5 times I’ve died because i took a single hit then rolled down and can’t take the fall damage with my remaining HP and can’t heal safely up there.

Also there was a second pursuer minifight that i got owned at like another 20 times after beating the OG. I thought I’d get better at the game if i only played a melee dodger but i am still impossibly bad lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also I restored humanity against them twice and the first time I did I walked off a ledge and died immediately for the first time. Not mad just laughin

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I forgot about the branches of yore

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

In Training posted:

I forgot about the branches of yore

they were cool at first but SotFS is absolutely lousy with them and it gets old

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Panty Saluter posted:

they were cool at first but SotFS is absolutely lousy with them and it gets old

they were a terrible idea much like everything else in ds2

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

using my rare consumable to unlock the door with 8 skeletons insde and the ai synchs them all up to do the spoopy skelly 3 hit combo all at the same time

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

galactic brain sid meier: a good game is a series of intersting choices.

mouth breather: holds r2 shield button circle strafe

me, genius: presses x to knife a dog in the throat then presses x again to learn the dogs backstory

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

me, genius: presses x to knife a dog in the throat then presses x again to learn the dogs backstory

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

correct