Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Bolverkur posted:

theres no souls game thats not worth playing, you entitled brain tumored DK mode-looking pieces of poo poo

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

2 isn't great but compared to stuff like Lords of the Fallen it's practically flawless

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
I thought the characters and themes were well done, but the gameplay sucks loving rear end to me. but again, some people like it, so you might as well try it out if it's cheap

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DS2 is fine, it's the worst Souls game but it's still good and worth playing at least once imo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It's apparently the best for PVP but I was never into that for Souls games so I dunno.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It did have my fave pvp covenants but Bloodborne is probably the most fun pvp I've done

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bellbro pvp was dope as hell. ssome of the mechanics were really good (powerstancing was the poo poo) but i hated th level design and 80% of the enemies in the game are dudes in armor. its worth doing one run just for the dlc though, brume tower in particular is fuckin great

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

also every enemy has the same 1-2----3 combo with optional 4th hit and it pissed me off

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I completed DS2 before knowing it's hated by everyone and thought it was good, so it's good

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

thinking about the classic IZ thread about the metroidvania dark souls house and chuckling

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

Bolverkur posted:

theres no souls game thats not worth playing, you entitled brain tumored DK mode-looking pieces of poo poo

lol

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i thought the ds2 dlc was very good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The frozen area is one of my all time souls favs

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i really liked the fume knight and the brume tower. but i like towers

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

i thought the ds2 dlc was very good

In Training posted:

The frozen area is one of my all time souls favs

OH yeah totally. I played DeSo, DaSo, and DaSo II back to back within like a month of time a few summers ago and get the areas muddled in my head, so I didn't know that was DS2. It's a drat good game

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
power stancing is cool. it's impressive how many different combinations you can come up with.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

power stancing is cool. it's impressive how many different combinations you can come up with.

I was bummed this wasn't in 3 but the weapon arts stuff was a neat enough replacement

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
despite being lacking in some areas, DS2 had one of my favorite character builds i'd ever done: powerstanced rapiers with the leo ring, where he would barrel through combat trying to get as much counter damage as possible off of attacking enemies

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

In Training posted:

I was bummed this wasn't in 3 but the weapon arts stuff was a neat enough replacement

it would have been so amazing if bonfire ascetics and powerstancing didn't get abandoned in 3

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

despite being lacking in some areas, DS2 had one of my favorite character builds i'd ever done: powerstanced rapiers with the leo ring, where he would barrel through combat trying to get as much counter damage as possible off of attacking enemies

Using a bigass hammer to smash everything in 2-3 hits was very satisfying. I feel like it was way easier to actually spec your character in that game since the stats were clearly identified and labeled. Fast roll heavy armor FTW

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The ds2 dlc was so good... I liked 3s but it didn't compare. Iron King might be my favourite area in the series

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
2 has the most build variety plus it's pretty easy to respec so you can make tweaks down the line. Also Bonfire Ascetics let you bump up the difficulty in certain areas and refight bosses.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Every Souls game should have had a refight bosses option

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010

In Training posted:

Every Souls game should have had a refight bosses option

the pain whenever you get the urge to fight Maria and Orphan again..

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Aston posted:

So I've heard Dark Souls 2 kind of sucks compared to 1 and 3, but is it still worth playing?

scholar of the first sin was okay. there are some spectacularly bad ideas tho, the biggest one being filling some areas with 50 idential enemies that bumrush you at the second you enter. a majority of the bosses are also giant humanoids that do a 3-4 hit combo you dodge and then whiff punish.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only bad part of DS2 is the durability and that almost every enemy wears armor so theyre really weak to crush so using a mace puts the whole game on easy mode. Powerstancing owns and the weapons variety is great too. A hypothetical new souls game which has both powerstancing and weapon arts would be incredible.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

The only bad part of DS2 is the durability and that almost every enemy wears armor so theyre really weak to crush so using a mace puts the whole game on easy mode. Powerstancing owns and the weapons variety is great too. A hypothetical new souls game which has both powerstancing and weapon arts would be incredible.

these are all terrible ideas actually

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i couldn't finish dark souls 3 becasue it was super boring

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i wish i liked the end-game and DLC more in DS3. i still haven't beaten freide or started the second DLC because i sort of just stopped caring. might buy the PC version and a controller on payday, though, and play that this weekend.

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010

mysterious loyall X posted:

i couldn't finish dark souls 3 becasue it was super boring

yeah I think 2 gets around it bc it's more open and you can skip around the bad parts if you know what you're doing but in 3 you have to follow the super linear path

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Dark Souls 3 is so freaking good. I'm playing through it for the 3rd time and doing more covenant stuff, the Blue Sentinels covenant is much more active than it was when I first played the game and its really fun.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I enjoyed ds2/3 but I think Bloodborne proves they shouldn't really ever do direct sequels and just make more new stuff all the time

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i have like 500 hours in ds2 and ds2 scholar and like 80% of that is pvp

also dark souls 2 had a true ng+ with new enemies and gear all over the place and I was really pissed that wasnt in 3

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

dark souls pvp is for cuckolds frankly

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

dark souls pvp is for cuckolds frankly

The best version of dark souls pvp was low level invasions in 1 with super OP late game weapons and equipment to troll peopl.

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Oh yeah, anyone who takes the goofy rear end pvp in these games dead seriously and tries to do optimal stuff should be annihilated with long range missiles and battleship cannons

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I still have fond memories of the PS3 hacker who invaded me in Demons Souls 1-3 with infinite health and a version of stormbringer that worked outside of the boss arena and just batted me around for 20 minutes not doing any damage and emoting

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
Invading in bloodborne would be cooler if it didn't make the game run at like 18 fps, lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

your fps becomes worse as your insight increases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010

your fps becomes worse as your insight increases

lol