Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

The base halberd has a long-range thrust that's really nice - black knight halberd and great scythe replace it with a sweep IIRC - but it's also kind of slow. My girlfriend loved it because you can pair it with a shield and be pretty safe, but it's slow going.

I loved the estoc's moveset when I played a magic build, but some of the rapiers are more powerful. Ricard's, especially, which can burn through bosses at an insane rate using pine resins. Estoc has some slashes in addition to the thrusts that I liked for regular enemies.

estocs didn't have edges for slashing that's the definition of the estoc, shaking my head at these video game guys and their sloppy nomenclature

anyway people never shut up about these games so what's the best one if I wanted to give it a try (on PC)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Just started playing this. Taurus Demon was epic.

https://clips.twitch.tv/SuccessfulBeautifulShrimpOhMyDog-tJu0RAUUF4NTsAjw

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

i did dig my fingernails into my palms and squeeze my eyes shut while taking deep heaving breaths when i noticed you were using the zweihander with one hand (zwei means two)

Lol I think I fat fingered some buttons while I was running to the ladder and did that by mistake, also I unequipped my shield somehow???

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

overall, breath of the wild does a really incredible job of making it feel like you're leveling up without ever actually leveling up or picking stuff from skill trees or putting points into things or whatever. everything you do to get better at the game feels organic instead of checking boxes on a spreadsheet. basically all you pick is which category of weapons you get more of from the seeds and whether you get more stamina or hearts.

Armor upgrades too, which is one area that could be improved. It felt like attacks were always doing either a quarter heart or ten of them with no in-between.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

There's a ton of special combinations and recipes to discover that are basically all worse than just any random bullshit + the temporary heart ingredient.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Anyway I love that cutting the tail on the gargoyle gave me the tail axe without having to do any crafting or even pick it up, just straight to inventory. Dunno if it's actually good, I've still been using the halberd.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Got in some gaming time this morning and made it up to the gape dragon

Sewers full of slime ftw

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

How long is this part with the brown swamp full of enemies that do poison attacks

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

really pissed off that this bonfire went out on me

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Couldn't beat the spider boss so I looked around the lovely swamp and found an entrance to a big tree and now I'm at a giant hydra I can't beat either. This game kicks rear end.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

Did you go down the giant tree.

I did. I guess I'm supposed to beat this hydra now for some reason? Its projectile seems really rough to avoid though and if I'm in melee range I can't see poo poo

The mushroom guys were funny, A+ enemy

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I feel like I could learn the hydras attack pattern pretty easily if like, the heads were actually on screen

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

a.p. dent posted:

i just beat them for the first time (on my 2nd playthrough) and i just got close and blocked with a shield before smashing them

I've been trying that and half the time it works and half the time it doesn't... I'm wondering if maybe I'm getting staggered by one hit and then hit by the next head or something? I'll try beefing up poise?? Dunno if poise affects that guess I'll find out.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

My stamina bar is completely melted when I take damage is what makes me think I'm getting hit with more than one sometimes

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

P-Mack posted:

I feel like I could learn the hydras attack pattern pretty easily if like, the heads were actually on screen

Finally got this rear end, started walking straight backwards when I heard the scream and that seemed to put me in a spot where I could block most of the time. Once I got a couple heads off the whole thing got easy, even the projectile wasn't a problem anymore cause it has safe spots where you took the heads off.

Still almost died cause in the course of the fight we drifted far enough up the beach that one of those clam guys aggroed from behind

Then I prayed to a dragon for reasons that are still unclear to me and climbed all the way back up the drat tree

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I cornholed the Anor Londo archers. This area is cool cause it's full of stupid bullshit but you keep unlocking shortcuts so you don't get sick of it.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

got the ring from the dog and drained new londo. guess I'm going to the abyss now? still unclear on all the lore

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

I've never played a Souls game before but started Dark Souls last night. Fun to come to it totally blind and just let the game immerse me. Died a bunch in the tutorial area while I was trying to get a hang of things and then made it out. Pumped to play again but in-laws are coming to visit today for a couple weeks which isn't conducive to gaming

Enjoy, I just did this and it was absolutely the way to experience it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

lmao