Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

One of the things I liked doing in dark souls 2 was helping someone through the wharf by pointing out secrets and then when they tried going through the boss door, I would backstab and kill them.

dark souls 3 invasions were godawful because the host had so many advantages. The only fun I ever had invading was when I put on that ring that makes you invisible from a distance and shot a gank squad with dragonslayer arrows for 10 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

I did a similar thing but dark souls was my first. I wanted to make a rogue-style character and managed to make all of the worst possible decisions about stat distribution. I killed Andre somehow and couldn't upgrade anything. I still made it to O&S but i didnt have anywhere near the skill to beat them with a base weapon and thought it was impossible but I decided to give the game one more chance. Started as a knight, cleared almost to gargoyles without dying and started on the path to 25+ playthroughs

My first dark souls experience was dying in the graveyard for 3 hours before finding out I could go somewhere else. I looked up a wiki at the two hour mark and couldn't find what they were talking about so I just kept dying to skeletons.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Boyfriend just bought a used PS3 just so he could play demons souls

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Fungah! posted:

tell hm to get ni no kuni too

Ive never heard of this, what makes it good?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

extremebuff posted:

this is all of ds2

At least they made them the boss

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

extremebuff posted:

chaos witch is such an awesome boss and has great music. also dark souls 1 really hides its bonfires and makes them scarce and it feels so good to find them and be able to heal up, in ds3 and bloodborne the bonfire/lamps and shortcuts are always in kind of expected places and every boss gives you a bonus rest spot

I went through 2-2 wondering the entire time when I was going to get a bloodborne-style shortcut to go back to the beginning and started freaking out when I realized I had to repeat the entire level if I died

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Its crazy to me that in my only DS3 run, I got all the way to lothric castle two-handing the starting katana before getting bored and uninstalling, but in demons souls Im hiding behind a tower shield terrified of whats around every corner.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

have you finished 2-1 yet

I got all the way to flamelurker but my best non-fire weapon does 40 damage to him, now Im going through other areas instead

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J-LZQBl7hw

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I hope they rerelease it for PC too so I can beat all the dark souls games with mouse and keyboard. Dont @ me

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Burn a humanity at a bonfire if theres a really bad area

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The dark souls 2 dlc is still the best dark souls content in the series.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

In Training posted:

They're cool but I can't agree with this when stuff like the ps1 fog gauntlet exists

The dark souls 2 dlc and the ps1 fog gauntlet are still the best dark souls content in the series.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I remember being told that these were coop areas so I summoned two NPC phantoms since there were no real summoning signs. One phantom trapped me a dead end while a wizard shot me to death while the other NPC strafed menacingly at it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I still love how the first two at least had an item reward for beating the boss, and then the reward for frigid outskirts is a warp back to the beginning.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

dromal phrenia posted:

im glad DS2 expansion is good, ive always heard the edition with the expansion hosed up some of the base game and never heard anything about the expansion itself.

At my current rate I will get to DS2 in 2021, and then I can get started on the DS3 that is somehow in my steam library!

They hosed up the first part of Iron Keep but when I played through just about every area is better. It also plays a lot more practical jokes on the player like those loving zombies at the end of undead crypt

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

HolePisser1982 posted:

its cool to perform for a chat room of bored kids for like 15 years and end up just responding in full earnestness every time a commenter says DS2 is for waterbrained retaahhhHH OH NO [eyes zipping over to my reg date]

lol

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Manus only took me a couple tries where artorias took me over two dozen.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

every dark souls boss people think is insanely hard, I beat really easily like pontiff or o+s, but then I die 4 times to taurus demon and crystal sage

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Poison in DS2 was good poo poo and Im sad they neutered it again in DS3 so they could put Yet another poison swamp in the game.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

extremebuff posted:

that they changed how you move and dodging just slightly to gently caress over anyone who mastered dodgin in demon souls/ds1 (specifically for this purpose), and made it feel really sluggish, is the worst thing to me. wonder if theres a mod that just gives you tight ds1 controls

DS2 feels a lot better if you go hard into heavy armor because armor in general felt a lot more powerful and the rolls at high equip weight arent a punch in the dick like DS1.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Fungah! posted:

cool. is there a menu setting that takes out agility, fixes the level design, changes enemy design so theyre not just guys in armor that attack like 1-2-3 or 1-2-3----4 with lots of tracking on the last hit, adds more interesting and varied environments, adds more interesting weapons, takes out hollowing, makes bosses more creative and fun to fight, adds interesting side areas that arent dlc or covenant battlegrounds, gets rid of healing items and makes estus fast, or makes the game not insanely long and tedious?

Its called bloodborne

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

SOTFS is still my favorite to replay out of all of them though just due to sheer variety and the amazing DLC

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

extremebuff posted:

weapons breaking twice as fast at 60fps

They actually did fix this by disabling it entirely when hitting a corpse which is the best improvement they made.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

This loving blows chunks. Reason 1: Its not demons souls Reason 2: uhh thats all I have

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Description:
A curious wallet that refuses to close. Rumored belong to a rich man of the west, before warlock Todd cursed the land with a powerful spell.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I remember the Seigmund or whatever his name was showing up on the elevator really confused, and the spear knights in the first level that do nothing but guard and shield bash until you try to do literally anything and then they pull out a three hit combo.

But I also have brainworms and know every DS2 area by heart

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ds2 is still my favorite game out of all three but it is carried entirely on the backs of the dlc areas, and even then you have to willfully ignore the coop areas

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I really wish the next game From does steals the rat covenent idea and actually makes it good. The concept is so promising but the execution is terrible lol

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

holy poo poo lmfao

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dark souls 3 lost me when it was anor londo again. There was nothing different it was just anor londo and a lovely boss fight at the end of it and I reflected on that and the awful poison swamp and the fact that most the bosses were just bad bloodborne bosses and I stopped playing

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Wormskull posted:

Big Smoke voice:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I dont buy that because vanilla ds2 was the easiest game to not fight any enemies. I think it was for pvp but they didnt a lot of ways for that to happen either

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Play honorable 1v1 combat and win to get one (1) invasion. Or do the blue spirit variant where you also have to win at 1v1 but you only get one (1) duel per boss you help people beat, unless youre in the sun covenant because those tokens dont count

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

lmao

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ive played dark souls games for hundreds of hours and Ive never learned to parry

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Bloodborne also really encourages you to learn it on those giant brick enemies because theyre a pain in the rear end otherwise

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

extremebuff posted:

in ds2 the parry timing is all hosed up which makes it really difficult to pull off (a good thing imo since it was easy to abuse in 1), unless you have the painting guardian sword. then you spam L2 for a 100% perfect parry uptime. awesome game

They patched that eventually which was good because that was extremely AIDS

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4idpR-Ggp8 Good times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I just remembered that underground cavern with the statues that hit you with some sort of fast-acting super poison, and there's a million of them you have to carefully navigate through.

Dark souls 2 had a lot of areas that really sucked if you took it slowly instead of recklessly charging through, and the game does a halfassed job of undoing the training of the first two games where if something's kicking your rear end you needed to go even slower

Amana is the best example of this and when sotfs changed the area to be easier to charge through by putting some casters behind walls so you didnt have the whole map shooting you, some people declared the area impossible to beat because they couldnt shoot everything with a bow