Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NuFVQk_CCs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

This is the first time I've ever seen gravelording working and it's cool and should've been the default ng+. There's like five more channelers in the duke's archives.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I'm playing ds2 for the first time in years and I forgot how everything is a drab shade of brown/grey/green and the encounter design is poo poo. Heide's Tower is like putting the Demon Ruins in one of the first areas of the game. Even sfx from killing stuff sounds flat. I don't know how they went from this sound design to Bloodborne.

also the weird meta "you're going to die a lot, lol" create a character scene.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

you level incredibly fast in ds2. I'm at 50 three hours in. Torch is implemented really weird, too. Forgot you can only light it at bonfires and there are these early area scones not near bonfires you'll never come back to light. Torch is timed for some dumb reason so you just can't keep lit and on you at all times.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 3, 2018

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Playing og DS2 and since there's not many people playing it compared to sins, I keep running into the same couple of players. like I invaded them in the bell tower, then co-oped with them in the next couple of areas. I look forward to seeing them in the rat covenant next.

Also I'm getting confused about item layout and stuff since I played the original back on release and sins a couple of years ago and I just realized I'm playing the version where the blacksmith ember is really far into the game.

Undead Chariot is a cool gimmick boss that took me about fifty tries the first time I played because I didn't know what agility was and couldn't figure out why I wasn't rolling through the spikes. The run to it sucks but it's probably one of the better bosses in the game.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I double ko'd the asylum demon when playing the remaster and you don't get the slab because you actually have to pick it up. The room reloads and it disappears. It's hosed up.

Played the poo poo out of ds2 this weekend.

-The gutter, lost bastille and shulva are really good levels. Shulva might the best area in the game taking in level design and enemy encounters. Only bad part about it is having to take the time to equip a bow to hit some of the switches.

-The other two dlc areas are also a big step up in design compared to the base game. Only downside is that both have too many areas that have too many enemies at once, and it's not like bloodborne where you kill mobs of enemies in 2 hits. A lot of these parts have like 6+ enemies in a small area and each needs 4 hits to kill. Kiting/sniping poo poo is lame and I don't do it and this is the same problem the base game has.

-dlc optional areas...lmao, tried the frigid outskirts twice and said gently caress it, that's one boss I'll never bother getting to.

-This is the first time I tried darkluker, pretty cool boss that's a mix of four kings and the pontiff. sucks that you can't run to the boss room and have to kill all the enemies before the fog dissipates.

-there are some crazy bonfire locations. like the bonfire next to the boss soul vendor has multiple spiders that drop from the ceiling while you're standing there. Even worse, both times I went to trade in boss souls, a spider would come in to the room and attack the vendor while I was in the trade menu. You can't even close the door, since enemies will just break it. There's other insane ones like the lost sinner bonfire that has three enemies instantly aggro without you even doing anything and the bonfire with the other boss soul vendor that is full of a bunch of suiciding enemies that instantly attack you if you try to talk to the vendor. It is loving crazy that did this kind of thing multiple times.

-it's really long, too long actually. A bunch of areas of leave no impression and are really boring, like the aldia level, shaded ruins, undead crypt.

-it's the worst of all the soulsborne games but not terrible or anything. There's just a bunch of annoying things that I forget about in the years in between playing it that remind me why I go years in between playing it.

That's all for my book report.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 12, 2018

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

goferchan posted:

Shaded Ruins is where I've stopped playing SOTFS like 3 times . N64 Turok rear end looking level

Yeah, it's really uninteresting. You start with a run down a boring path for five minutes fighting throwaway enemies, come to a crossroad with three directions and if you go left, you run for a couple of minutes until hitting a plot-locked door, go back to the crossroads and go another way and the same thing happens, go back to the crossroads and then you go through the foggy area. The last part of it okay but everything before that should've just been axed or minimized.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

huh, i actually like Aldia's manor a lot. they had plans to make it a huge grotesque haunted mansion which were eventually scrapped, unfortunately

The problem is it's like a stairway, one hallway, and two side rooms. The outside area is probably bigger than the actual level part. I think there's five enemies at most in the entire thing.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

extremebuff posted:

i posted about this in the e3 thread probably but im really glad there's another game of this nature on the horizon, it looks even faster and more souped up than bloodborne and I cant loving wait for it. a part of me is sad that fromsoft isnt making something completely new but the other 95% of me is screaming SOUUULLLLLSSSSS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E41mzYyYBKw
yeah, pumped about this and since activision is the publisher there's the chance for a weed dlc kimono or something.

also I just remembered I permanently missed the wanderer armor set because I killed the enemies that drop it too fast, which apparently is a thing that happens.

Wish the game wasn't so long so I could ng+ it and see some of the differences. There's a ton of stuff in ds2 but there's a bit too much I don't like to want to wade through it again so soon after playing it and I'm not a big ng+ guy on these games anyway.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Still waiting for Big Smoke/Smough swap

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Covenant: Grove Street Families

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

try alt+entering or make sure the game is set to fullscreen in the first place.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

The one woods area looks like a Turok level.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

In Training posted:

i only got the 1 titanite in firelink, unless you're confusing twinkling and scales. I know there's a lizard in the crucifix ion shortcut and at the bottom of the cathedral, but if I could get +3 before the catacombs that would be sick

You can trade for a couple with the crows with common items, don't remember which ones.

If you go the cathedral before doing the catacombs, you can definitely have enough from killing crystal lizards to be +3 before catacombs.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

In Training posted:

I need scales not twinkling though.

oh, they distributed those really weird throughout the game like they forget to place them and realized too late and now there's 30+ in the last couple of areas.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Anything else key? Also lol that it just starts at the post lord vessel portion of DaS story wise. Also I instantly recognised the emerald herald had an Irish VA because lmao that accent cannot be contained. Ruth Negga owns

You can't open illusionary walls by hitting them in this one. You have to hit the confirm button when you're next to one.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

The Sunken King dlc might have the weirdest hidden thing in these games. There's a tree tucked far away from anything with a hidden mechanic on how to use it that's extremely useless.

It's weird and you should look it up.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Ohh. I just bought maybe an item later like curse hands in new London.

Hidden bonfires I will never understand and this might be the most hidden ever

Did you find the bonfire before the sanctum? It's hidden pretty good, too. I missed both my first time through and it made dying during that part suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I'm pretty sure the covenant area with the two pontiff dogs was made by the same angry guy that did the Bloodborne shark well.