Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Going to start the first DS tonight and do my best. I'm going to pick whatever character has high stamina and strength and focus on upgrading those and hope it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ty friends I will do my best. The opening cinematic whips so much rear end

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

How is your game going

I have gotten to the second bonfire in Firelink Shrine with no deaths so far. Ive played the first hour or two of most soulsbourne games before though so I have some idea. Never left the Asylum in DS before this however. The knight has tonnes of health which is great but dodge rolls so slowly. What stat makes this better? Also what does humanity do?

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Furtive pygmy ftw

All the dudes at the start sound so cool but I'm expecting the pygmy to be this guy

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Playing through the start of the Undead Burgh place, it reminds me a bit of the Bloodborne city. Someone pushed a flaming barrel down some stairs which knocked me off the stairs but I hit a tiny ledge on the way down so i didn't die lol. Had to use a homeward bone though as I actually couldn't get back to anywhere else from my random ledge. On the bright side when I was getting up from being knocked down a skeleton sailed past me into the abyss I'd just missed. this owns

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Got my first death at the hands of the Taurus Demon. Thought I had bombs equipped so was drinking an Estus while he wailed on me, which I had also done just a minute before with a skeleton lol. The text had warned me of snipers so I felt good that I'd spotted them behind me and killed them. I did fall off the ladder the first time because I ran out of stamina punching the crab at the top of the ladder

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

after a few deaths decided to recover my souls again and then return to a bonfire before the demon arrived and this is the only time I died before getting to him after randomly slipping off a roof, my precious souls :negative:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

You'll get over the souls lost thing pretty quick

Ya it's only from this session I built them up so not that big a deal I suppose!

I think I might see how the black firebombs I found do against this guy because I don't have the fast roll and I've tried upping endurance but I'm way away from the quick roll.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I.N.R.I posted:

armours not really so important except for looking cool .. a faster roll and better stamina recovery will save you from more damage in the long run than armour will

I found a merchant now that I had totally missed and he's selling some handy stuff! Including a bow so I can finally gently caress up these shits with the bombs and some lighter armour. I also found some armour when killing a baddie that's lighter!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Okay cool because I had thought about going naked but thought I wouldn't be good enough at dodging and blocking to avoid getting killed quickly. I also only just realised a fight or so ago that the reason my stamina returns so slowly is because I was holding my shield up, didn't realise :saddowns:

However I did do some more exploring and found a free crossbow

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

a Loving Dog posted:

doing a bloodborne run through after sekiro. i am 100% better at parrying, but i am dying a lot and more than a few have been from trying to block and switching my weapon lol

I still have botw muscle memory when playing ds lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The shield lock on is my biggest issue. Keep forgetting I don't need to hold my shield up on the boss to stay locked in and didn't realise for ages it made stamina recovery slow.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Picked DS back up after finishing some stuff up so I could focus just on DS.

Was a bit weird getting used to game again but managed to get back to the Taurus Demon without too much trouble. I took off my hat and gloves so that I could Medium-Slow roll instead of fat roll and it made a big difference. The spear I bought is real fast and good to use too. Messed up with some fire throwers and ended up using two Estus before getting to Taurus. I did really well though this time (despite dying) and finally understood the pattern of the fight and got him down to about 20% HP. I just got kind of trapped under his legs at the end and mistimed my dodge on his big attack.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bob has told me before to stream it but he didn't mention any of that lmao.

I messed up a bunch of times on the way to Taurus demon and just decided gently caress it I'll practice the pattern and lmao dear penthouse I never thought it would happen to me

https://twitter.com/emmyoksa/status/1138395940845494273

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is resistance worth increasing? I keep getting poisoned by these big rat lads under the bridge and i'm screwed once it happens. I might also kindle this bonfire because the one time the rats didn't poison me I seen a big monster looking thing hanging out with the skeltons in the start of Undead Parish. I met the sun knight which was nice though.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The absolute fear of when you can choose two paths and hoping you're selecting the one that will lead to the next bonfire and not the one that leads to a skeleton party.

Bolverkur posted:

Resistance doesn't do anything in this game, it should never be levelled. Equip the gear with the highest poison resistance and have some Purple Moss handy. The merchant in the aqueduct when you head from Firelink to Undead Burg sells it.

Neat I ended up just improving my vit, str, and end stats again. I got used to how to beat the rats relatively safely. I have only found one merchant so far in undead burgh but I didn't see any purple moss I think.

Took me a while to understand the pig part but eventually figured out how to safely draw each enemy and deal with the crossbow folks. Tried to ignore them once and their pal way in the back followed me into the tunnel and killed me. Opened the gate for the pig on the otherside and found a bonfire eventually, so stressful but so fun. Think I might have heard a blacksmith which is what lead me to the bonfire.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I died a bunch to a knight with a big shield and mace just up from the bonfire with the blacksmith. Kept trying to dodge roll past him and being pasted when I messed up timing because I'm trying not to be boring and cautious behind the shield always. After a few deaths realised he was easy to bait and I just had to step in and out quickly and beat his rear end with no damage. So satisfying.

Then I got ambushed buy a wizard and like 30 of his pals. Next time around i accidentally got in an elevator by mistake and ended up back at Firelink shrine which is super handy. I have to go and murder the wizard but also I want to work back through the start of the game because I found a basement key and mystery key and want to see if I can find where they go. Also met a knight with an onion head who seems nice.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I put away the shield for any monster that's bigger than a regular skeleton because I assumed it just wouldn't work :downs: So I've been rolling a lot or my new technique of walking away

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Oh I learned that too! I died to the big knight so many times before understanding how to fight him that I realised I could do it to the hollow knights outside his area really easy and get the back stab animation. Though the sweetspot on that seems a bit awkward

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is there any point being human unless I need a summon for a boss? I've never been human yet it just seems meaningless because I die lots

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Managed to get my estus improved by wandering around firelink. Went back and killed the wizard by throwing fire bombs at him and his mates because they got stuck in the door like the stooges

https://twitter.com/emmyoksa/status/1139670582939869186

Got kind of owned by the Bell Gargoyle. Wasn't even doing well and he went and called his mate in. Forgot to take some more clothes off for speedy rolling but I'll be ready now that I know the boss is just there.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I died a few times to just one but then instead of dodging his attacks I just ran at him and beat away and bring up my shield whenever he attacks and chase after him. The flmae attacks that start in round two are really tricky. Added some heavy armour for flame resist because I am not dodging much just chasing them down and block when they wind up. so close to finishing one of them off this time. Last to his final tab of health but I got greedy and didn't regroup when they got on either side of me

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Training posted:

While you're in human form the souls cost for levelling Resistance drops by 50%.

I keep dying when the second one shows up and I'm not sure of a strategy yet other than "I hope they both don't keep using fire for a while". Going to explore the church elsewhere see if maybe there is an item to help. Saw two knights facing away from me so sneaked up to stab them in the back :smugmrgw: but there was a third knight in the back who saw me an they all hopped me and kicked my rear end :whitewater:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hell yeah! I figured I need to just focus one of them down but could never quite pull it off. Got the blacksmith to make my longsword from 0 to +3 from the titanite shards some boys dropped and just tore into the guy! I think his tail fell off and I got an axe lol. That's a neat detail, the next guy gave me a helmet which didn't make as much sense but cool!

Freed a man in a cell also while exploring but a note called him a miscreant

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The guy I saved gave me a golden coin but kept laughing and I think he is going to try and murder me.

I got to the skeleton garden and barely managed to survive after aggroing every single one. Managed to get all the items and beat the giant skeleton too though after switching to a mace because it made them fall apart. Switched back to my longsword now and alternating heavy hits and small hits to beat them. Died in the catacombs because there's this one skeleton that I meet and no matter how often I kill him he revives and chases me from behind and I hosed up twice now.

e: I googled it and couldn'#t find the necromancer. Found him this time because he hit me with a fireball. Time to die bitch

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 23, 2019

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

the catcombs are so hard I'm definitely kindling the bonfire I found in here. get through tonnes of skeletons to a room with a third necromancer super far away and exploding skulls

e: Became human and kindled a bonfire becuase I thought you had to be human to do it, whoops. Did good though and managed to push a lever that let me access the necromancer while being chased by his immortal skeletons. Brought them back to a cliff with me and bashed them off it with a mace like I did all their pals. Managed to kill the necromancer too though mainly because of a suicide pact

https://twitter.com/emmyoksa/status/1142886603498631171

Then put 1 point into dex so I could use lucerne which has high damage and I thought it was a hammer but its' a spear that does v little damage to them lol

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 23, 2019

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Okay good because I thought I wasted two humanities. Tonight is the first play session I didn't have fun with, the catacombs are a bad time. I think I must be playing wrong because even when the skeletons aren't immortal it takes 10+ hits of the mace to kill them and no other weapon does nearly as good damage despite higher damage scores. So when I do meet immortal skeletons I just knock them off cliffs but this latest necromancer is super deep down a spiral staircase thing and I can't dispatch his skeletons with the cliff trick or fast enough to get at him. Though I did just discover him this run.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I am not sure I have met that smith, I have only met the one near where you fight the bell gargoyle. I might go back to him and see if he sells titanite shards because maybe I could at least upgrade my mace then. I tried a different area previously called New Londo but there was a ghost there and I couldn't hurt it so I ran away. Despite how painful the catacombs are I have made progress and killed three necromancers so I might just keep grinding at it tomorrow.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is the catacombs the way to blighttown? This is where I am trying to go to

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

a Loving Dog posted:

no, you get to blighttown through the depths, you can find the entrance to there past the capra demon (also can unlock a good shortcut back to firelink)

Is that the new Londo place? I killed some praying ghoul type creatures in there but then met some ghosts that didn't take physical damage and a lot of bloodstains about. Is there a third option? I will go investigating around the place until I find somewhere new where I have win endless battles of attrition against skeletons

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

a Loving Dog posted:

nope that's new londo ruins, you shouldn't be going there for awhile or until your weapon is upgraded more than it probably is right now. if you haven't yet fought the capra demon, go back to where you met solaire near the bridge and try to open a closed door

Ah yeds! I had meant to go back there for a while now after finding some new keys, ty.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I've managed to take down three necromancers like this. Now I know where the fourth is I'm tempted to suicide dash him before leaving. It was very cunning of him not to be surrounded by skeletons I could methodically knock off cliffs

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Started DS again after taking a break for a while. Just beat the Tartarus Demon again and unlocked the shortcut so feeling pretty good! Especially now as I've had the fast roll from the start lol. Was worried about starting again as Bell Ogre was so tough but then remembered he was a lot easier when I upgraded my sword plus my pal told me I can summon Solaire nearby

e: Tore through the Bell Ogre this time as my longsword was +3 and I had solaire with me. Was over before it started practically. Back to where I left off in a fraction of the time lol

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 28, 2019

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I got owned by the Capra Demon first try. I rolled past him and he had some pet dogs so I kept rolling and got into a corner and was never able to leave I was jammed in there.

If a weapons scales on STR and DEX and I put most of my points into STR but want to start doing DEX now will I still see a damage increase even though DEX is lower than STR rn?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Man those dudes on the way to the Capra demon suck rear end. They crowd you so easily and it's really hard for me to see when they're in their parry pose. Haven't found a way to consistently easily beat them yet.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Training posted:

Yeah it's additive, if something scales with both stats upgrading either increases the damage. the letter grades mean better scaling, so depending on what weapon the dex points could add a lot

Neat, that helps! My weapon is equal in dex and str but a friend said that a lot of weapons go with one or the other so it's a good way to get to try a few different things without being too diffuse.

Died to Capra tonnes don't think I've ever hit him I just get swarmed by him and the dogs instantly before I can even go anywhere. The trickiest part is that the fog door is blocking my view as I slowly walk through it but the boss is already active while you're waitingto enter the room and move.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I've gotten the capra down to maybe 1/4 HP twice once I killed the dogs, every other time I die before killing the dogs. It really just seems like a pretty big gamble when you first enter the room. Once the dogs are dead the fight isn't too bad but if you don't take them down basically instantly I've just gotten swarmed because they stun you really easily or interrupt anything you try do. Once it's just me and the big guy I did pretty good and my deaths were really clear "oh I should have backed off but got greedy" moments.

Tbh the hardest part with the dogs is that the fog door takes so long to disappear and for the camera to follow you through so the boss is right on top of you before you can even see what's happening because of the camera.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Thanks for the tips folks. Think I’ll grind a so I can try out my other weapons with more viability. Have a plus one spear that could be good for sticking the dogs if I boost my damage a bit. My plus four long sword is a good deal better than all else atm damage wise

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Skylark posted:

Wow just got this flag

:hai:

In good news though

Went in blocking because I remembered that worked on the bell fella for some attacks and immediately got pancaked by a leap. Luckily managed to kill a devil dog early then sprinted up the stairs and healed. Tried to kill the second up the stairs no look so rolled off but then that big arsehole fell on top of me. Luckily he was confused as I was so I killed his other pet devil dog while he was catching sense of himself. Then backed off and hurled a few firebombs and then just dodged as best I could and took him down. The absolute terror and aggression you feel when they're on that sliver of HP where you decide not to dodge and keep battering him is godly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Skylark posted:

Amen....

🙏

I was exploring a bit and foudn where to go next I think but also found a shortcut back to firelink through the aqueduct from just after where I fought Capra. Very handy! It didn't go well though lol in a very dark souls way

https://twitter.com/emmyoksa/status/1189520638895165447?s=20