Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
post research papers, projects, theory, hopes, fears and nightmares about A.I here.

This field is moving at a ridiculous pace so there should be more than enough to sustain a thread

This thing is probably my favourite from the past year:

Two neural networks, one an image synthesizer and the other an image classifier are connected to each other in an "adversarial" setup. The classifier assesses the synthesizers output. The results shown in the video aren't realistic by any stretch but you can see the roots of truly mindblowing results on the horizon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAbhypxs1qQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

https://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21728614-machines-read-faces-are-coming-advances-ai-are-used-spot-signs

researchers from Stanford have trained a neural network to classify people's sexuality based on facial features, with 81-95% accuracy for males. Impressive result, but also clearly dangerous in a world where being gay is illegal in many places.
sifting through online discussions, I've found very little on its ethical implications. automated human profiling is a part of our daily lives in cyberspace. We seem to have come to terms with this. Soon we will be asked to come to terms with it in meatspace, as we walk the streets.

If you think I'm over-reacting to a neat little result, check this out: a facial classifier that grades criminality: https://www.rt.com/news/368307-facial-recognition-criminal-china/

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 8, 2017

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
so it's modern phrenology except that it works?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Suspicious posted:

so it's modern phrenology except that it works?

Pretty much

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
the special effects for the second two matrix movies were lame even for the time but its fun none the less

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i wish AI could improve you're posts

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Amethyst posted:

post research papers, projects, theory, hopes, fears and nightmares about A.I here.

This field is moving at a ridiculous pace so there should be more than enough to sustain a thread

This thing is probably my favourite from the past year:

Two neural networks, one an image synthesizer and the other an image classifier are connected to each other in an "adversarial" setup. The classifier assesses the synthesizers output. The results shown in the video aren't realistic by any stretch but you can see the roots of truly mindblowing results on the horizon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAbhypxs1qQ

oh my god that is so loving cool

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

oh my god that is so loving cool

it's a great channel, full of interesting results

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

holy loving poo poo

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1612.03242.pdf

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
true AI is impossible like time travel

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

true AI is impossible like time travel

sentience is overrated. it's a transitional trait that can be discarded like gills on a land creature

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

if we build a machine that can classify any input stimulus one million times faster than we can, and react to it based on an evolving expert system several times larger and with much better efficacy than a human brain, can we really say it's not "true" intelligence just because it's not aware

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
computers don't have souls so they can never be truly intelligent ok? hth but i know it won't so i'll pray for you

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

if we build a machine that can classify any input stimulus one million times faster than we can, and react to it based on an evolving expert system several times larger and with much better efficacy than a human brain, can we really say it's not "true" intelligence just because it's not aware

yes, because it can't correct an error

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Amethyst posted:

congratulations, you just discovered p-zombies

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

yes, because it can't correct an error

of course it can. consciousness has very little to do with correcting for errors and it has far less to do with basic decision making than you believe.

"Make a conscious choice. Decide to move your index finger. Too late! The electricity's already halfway down your arm. Your body began to act a full half-second before your conscious self 'chose' to, for the self chose nothing; something else set your body in motion, sent an executive summary—almost an afterthought— to the homunculus behind your eyes. That little man, that arrogant subroutine that thinks of itself as the person, mistakes correlation for causality: it reads the summary and it sees the hand move, and it thinks that one drove the other."

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

duTrieux. posted:

congratulations, you just discovered p-zombies

don't act like this stuff is everyday. i know we're jaded here but we're allowed to be confronted by weird results.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

point taken.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

of course it can. consciousness has very little to do with correcting for errors and it has far less to do with basic decision making than you believe.

"Make a conscious choice. Decide to move your index finger. Too late! The electricity's already halfway down your arm. Your body began to act a full half-second before your conscious self 'chose' to, for the self chose nothing; something else set your body in motion, sent an executive summary—almost an afterthought— to the homunculus behind your eyes. That little man, that arrogant subroutine that thinks of itself as the person, mistakes correlation for causality: it reads the summary and it sees the hand move, and it thinks that one drove the other."

consciousness isn't exclusively pattern matching

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
cool tricks aside i just don't see how we're going to program a general ai that learns, and learns how to learn, given our rudimentary understanding of how we do those things at the level of the brain. intelligence isn't just going to emerge because we stuff in more transistors, and it feels to me like we're pretty far away from the level of knowledge to bootstrap the system. what even is intelligence, surely it's more than just being a really good classifier? i'm not an ai researcher but we've seen this hype before and i'm not convinced it's any different this time

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

JewKiller 3000 posted:

cool tricks aside i just don't see how we're going to program a general ai that learns, and learns how to learn, given our rudimentary understanding of how we do those things at the level of the brain. intelligence isn't just going to emerge because we stuff in more transistors, and it feels to me like we're pretty far away from the level of knowledge to bootstrap the system. what even is intelligence, surely it's more than just being a really good classifier? i'm not an ai researcher but we've seen this hype before and i'm not convinced it's any different this time

true AI is impossible

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it's impossible like time travel and free energy

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

JewKiller 3000 posted:

even if this is true, mass deployment of even contemporary classifiers will still change our collective experience massively

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

and like, i'm not sure how anyone can look at the results of the paper I posted in the OP and not start to question assumptions about the potential of current A.I techniques.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

SmokaDustbowl posted:

true AI is impossible

i wouldn't go that far... while i can't define intelligence, it's definitely a thing humans have, and there's no evidence that our brains use anything but the normal matter of the universe to produce it. so in principle it should be something we can build, but no one has ever come close to convincing me that they have the slightest clue how to go about that

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Amethyst posted:

and like, i'm not sure how anyone can look at the results of the paper I posted in the OP and not start to question assumptions about the potential of current A.I techniques.

ya i'm not arguing that these aren't powerful techniques, just pushing back against the notion that general ai is somewhere around the corner, which has dominated popular science media lately (most people don't read primary research papers)

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it would be easier to go faster than light than to make an AI

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

conscious thoguht is an inefficient kludge to get us over an awkward period of physical environment discovery.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

SmokaDustbowl posted:

it would be easier to go faster than light than to make an AI

what makes you think so? as far as we know, general ai is only a practical improbability given our current technological capabilities, while ftl travel is (according to our best theories) a physical impossibility that we will never surpass

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

conscious thoguht is an inefficient kludge to get us over an awkward period of physical environment discovery.

lol stop taking peter watts so seriously

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i wonder basically how many rules are laid down when our brains are first made, vs how much is making sense of the inputs and creating intelligence on the spot over years
of learning how to think

i'm saying, if we make a large enough "network" and feed it input for long enough, and with some ability to interact with the world, would it slowly learn how to do something

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

lol stop taking peter watts so seriously

i will not. Watts is smart and cool

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

echinopsis posted:

i wonder basically how many rules are laid down when our brains are first made, vs how much is making sense of the inputs and creating intelligence on the spot over years
of learning how to think

i'm saying, if we make a large enough "network" and feed it input for long enough, and with some ability to interact with the world, would it slowly learn how to do something

how is this even a question? click the vid in the op to watch a neural network learn to see

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

echinopsis posted:

of learning how to think

ultimately our brains come from dna and the environment it's expressed in (an pre-bootstrapped adult woman, but we'll ignore that problem for now)... so in principle i'd say so, but nobody knows how the gently caress that poo poo works either so

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
your consciousness isn't just your brain, every minuscule part of you is a sensory organ, that's impossible to artificially recreate

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

your consciousness isn't just your brain, every minuscule part of you is a sensory organ, that's impossible to artificially recreate

i don't see any concrete basis for this claim

there are physical laws that prevent FTL travel. You seem to think there is a similar law regarding sentience. I dont see it

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
what makes it impossible? are my sensory organs made of special magic stuff that nobody can ever replicate? we already have workable artificial limbs, and all we had to do to get those was start a couple wars, imagine if the combined effort of humanity was put into this

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

here are physical laws that prevent FTL travel. You seem to think there is a similar law regarding sentience. I dont see it

what technology could exist that could artificially replicate every nerve ending in a human body?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

what technology could exist that could artificially replicate every nerve ending in a human body?

a computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

a computer

what materials would the computer use?

cloning doesn't count

• Locked thread