Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
And it got stolen weeks ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/07/business/equifax-cyberattack.html

quote:

Equifax, one of the three major consumer credit reporting agencies, said on Thursday that hackers had gained access to company data that potentially compromised sensitive information for 143 million American consumers, including Social Security numbers and driver’s license numbers.

The attack on the company represents one of the largest risks to personally sensitive information in recent years, and is the third major cybersecurity threat for the agency since 2015.

Equifax, based in Atlanta, is a particularly tempting target for hackers. If identity thieves wanted to hit one place to grab all the data needed to do the most damage, they would go straight to one of the three major credit reporting agencies.

“This is about as bad as it gets,” said Pamela Dixon, executive director of the World Privacy Forum, a nonprofit research group. “If you have a credit report, chances are you may be in this breach. The chances are much better than 50 percent.”

Criminals gained access to certain files in the company’s system from mid-May to July by exploiting a weak point in website software, according to an investigation by Equifax and security consultants. The company said that it discovered the intrusion on July 29 and has since found no evidence of unauthorized activity on its main consumer or commercial credit reporting databases.

Even better, they waited so their executives could dump their shares before the announcement.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/07/equifax-managers-dumped-stock/

quote:

In today’s edition of unfettered corporate greed, we bring you the Equifax managers who apparently sold almost $1.8 million in stock after the company became aware that it had a big problem on its hands.
As Bloomberg reports, three of the company’s senior executives sold nearly $1.8 million in shares after the company learned internally that it had exposed the private data, including social security and driver’s license numbers, of as many as 143 million people in the U.S.
The transactions in question were initiated by Chief Financial Officer and Corporate VP John Gamble who sold $946,374 worth of shares, President of U.S. Information Solutions Joseph Loughran who dumped $584,099 and President of Workforce Solutions Rodolfo Ploder who sold $250,458 in shares. As Bloomberg notes, these transactions were not pre-scheduled trades and they took place on August 2, three days after the company learned of the hack.

Even better, they're directing affected people to register for a free account on TrustedID Premier. Note that TrustedID Premier prohibits you from participating in any class-action lawsuits against Equifax.

https://trustedidpremier.com/static/terms

So can we build the loving gallows yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
how much did they donate to someones presidential campaign and which candidate

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
execute those executives after a show trial imo

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

If those execs aren't strung up for insider trading gently caress this big gay earth

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

VikingSkull posted:

I'm not sure you want anyone inheriting that wealth...

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

VikingSkull posted:

wants to kill the rich

*votes Trump*

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

My identity has been stolen like a million times now I don't even care.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Harald posted:

wants to kill the rich

*votes Trump*

Well known Trump voter VikingSkull lol

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Skypie posted:

America deserved 9/11 :discourse:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Harald posted:

America deserved 9/11 :discourse:

Bin Laden won

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
At this point of my life, some rando stealing my identity can only help my credit.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
Jokes on them, my credit is so bad I'll gain points from this.

e: gently caress, beaten

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

VikingSkull posted:

Have a gameshow where the prize is getting to execute the executives

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
I just tried to place a security freeze and they want $10 unless you can provide a police report? Are you loving serious? Is there going to be a class action over this poo poo? I am going to call first thing tomorrow morning and explain politely why they should give me a free security freeze.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

FisheyStix posted:

Have a gameshow where the prize is getting to execute the executives

A gofundme to fund the execution options would be stellar.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

C'mon guys, just a couple hundred thousand more and we can fire this bougie gently caress into the sun!

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

Just let the internet pick various punishments and vote once a week for the next

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
This is breach #4 for me.

Freezing credit is a good idea but the problem is that it can screw up your insurance rates since a lot of insurers (auto) base your rate more off your credit score than accidents .

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Novo posted:

I just tried to place a security freeze and they want $10 unless you can provide a police report? Are you loving serious? Is there going to be a class action over this poo poo? I am going to call first thing tomorrow morning and explain politely why they should give me a free security freeze.

My understanding is that for every credit account frozen that's a consumer whose information the CRAs can't resell to any Tom Dick or Harry. That hits them in the pocketbook.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

At this point of my life, some rando stealing my identity can only help my credit.

same

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l
lol whoopsy daisy

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat

Three-Phase posted:

My understanding is that for every credit account frozen that's a consumer whose information the CRAs can't resell to any Tom Dick or Harry. That hits them in the pocketbook.

My impression is that it's kind of hosed up that these guys have set up a system where I'm paying them not to gently caress me over in one way or another

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

Sand Dan posted:

lol whoopsy daisy

I recognize your fuckin' username and it rules.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Novo posted:

My impression is that it's kind of hosed up that these guys have set up a system where I'm paying them not to gently caress me over in one way or another

:capitalism:

It's not just this but I seriously want to get out of the United States in the near future. It seems like everything is getting more and more unfair and screwed up every single year.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

equifax is my horses name

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Three-Phase posted:

:capitalism:

It's not just this but I seriously want to get out of the United States in the near future. It seems like everything is getting more and more unfair and screwed up every single year.

Lol if you think it's better anywhere else.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat
Yeah it's brilliant really. Literally "Sorry your info got hacked. Would be a shame if some bad hombres used it to ruin you. Hope you got :10bux:"

*pays off mortgage with insider trading monies*

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

OWLS! posted:

Yeah that's about half of the problem right there.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

OWLS! posted:

Scandinavian countries actually have a great record wrt the major complaints of Americans (health care, prison, taxes)

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Skypie posted:

no one ever catches that even the SM avatar guy knows I'm not his fan because I'm the only one without Trump in his avatar lol

c'est la vie

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat
my bad, on second review they never said they were sorry

edit: ok, he "apologizes" in the video. and they are offering free identity protection for a year which is great because my birth date, ssn, address and name changes every year. also they are doing the identity protection in house? is this some kind of hosed up product launch?

Novo fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 8, 2017

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

myDad posted:

Scandinavian countries actually have a great record wrt the major complaints of Americans (health care, prison, taxes)

Banking system is global (and hosed), credit system is almost global (and hosed), gently caress everything, it doesn't really matter, also the repressed racism in scandinavia is loving amazing.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you're complaining about taxes in america, you're rich or trump, and if you're a whitey mcgoonerson you don't really have a complaint about prison.

Which leaves health care I guess, but you don't have to believe me when there is a very good reason why being a doctor in the states is a mid-six to low seven figgie job in the states. And it isn't just the liability coverage.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
But enough about lovely countries, lol equifax.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Also yeah isn't this insider trading? Does it even matter if all they get is a slap on the wrist?

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Novo posted:

my bad, on second review they never said they were sorry

edit: ok, he "apologizes" in the video. and they are offering free identity protection for a year which is great because my birth date, ssn, address and name changes every year. also they are doing the identity protection in house? is this some kind of hosed up product launch?

TrustedID IS what they're offering, and only for a year from the sounds of it.

But as I said in the OP, the fine print says you're not allowed to sue them. So they're directing as many poor bastards as they can to sign up for some half-assed protection that THEY own for a very limited time, and in exchange they get to decrease the amount of litigants that can act against them.

Personally, I'm holding out for my $3 settlement that'll be coming in five years!

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

no one ever catches that even the SM avatar guy knows I'm not his fan because I'm the only one without Trump in his avatar lol

c'est la vie

The viking helmet was just too cool to lose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
nah im not american

WOOP WOOP

also i neither have a identity or a personality, please send help

• Locked thread