Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

so did half of america sign up for equifax or is this basically a public utility masquerading as and paying out like a private business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm glad of it

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Former DILF posted:

so did half of america sign up for equifax or is this basically a public utility masquerading as and paying out like a private business

It's one of three main credit bureaus and you're a part of it whether you like it or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_bureau

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Former DILF posted:

poo poo there's literally no way to know by doing things like reading or understanding things

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I guess the best way to avoid identity theft is to have lovely credit, so when they are sifting through the piles of stolen identities yours gets thrown in the "useless" bin?

cool :smug:

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

how do i know if im an equifax customer

akma
Jan 30, 2016

I simply lack the motivation to write anything here.
They can have it. I didn't like that identity anyway.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

If we get to pick new identities as a result of this, i wanna be called "big" Kurt Fuckerman

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You'll be Pete "Triple Decker" Sandkowski and like it

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Dunno where people are screaming insider trading for, some guy at Equifax said that the three execs who sold their shares 2 days after it happened didn't know anything about it? :confused:

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

NotWearingPants posted:

I guess the best way to avoid identity theft is to have lovely credit, so when they are sifting through the piles of stolen identities yours gets thrown in the "useless" bin?

cool :smug:
ITT take comfort in not having an identity worth stealing

dk2m
May 6, 2009
"so i see here you have a mortgage with CykaBlyat LLC?"

*your body is slowly forced into a squatting position* y..yes...

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Novo posted:

I just tried to place a security freeze and they want $10 unless you can provide a police report? Are you loving serious? Is there going to be a class action over this poo poo? I am going to call first thing tomorrow morning and explain politely why they should give me a free security freeze.

You can sign up for a 90-day "initial fraud alert" for free. You can keep doing this every 90 days. They try to make the phone tree obnoxious and misleading. An "alert" is not a "freeze" but should stop someone from opening fraudulent credit in your name, hopefully maybe.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zorodius posted:

You can sign up for a 90-day "initial fraud alert" for free. You can keep doing this every 90 days. They try to make the phone tree obnoxious and misleading. An "alert" is not a "freeze" but should stop someone from opening fraudulent credit in your name, hopefully maybe.

Credit Karma lets you see your Equifax and TransUnion reports on-demand for free, so I'll just keep an eye on that

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
Hmm. I don't know if it's related, but they changed their underwriter for the identity theft insurance (in Canada, at least) to American Bankers Insurance Company of Florida "or its affiliates" on June 25th.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

runupon cracker posted:

Hmm. I don't know if it's related, but they changed their underwriter for the identity theft insurance (in Canada, at least) to American Bankers Insurance Company of Florida "or its affiliates" on June 25th.

If that underwriter can find proof that Equifax knew about the breach before switching to them, they have grounds to terminate the policy, yes?

In which case Equifax dies a painful death

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Everyone should go freeze your credit reports now. By doing that, nobody can pull your credit reports to open new accounts or get a loan or something unless you manually unlock it first.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

EugeneJ posted:

If that underwriter can find proof that Equifax knew about the breach before switching to them, they have grounds to terminate the policy, yes?

In which case Equifax dies a painful death

There's probably an arbitration clause in there somewhere so the underwriter has to work with the arbitrator hired by Equifax.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I checked and my personal info was compromised. Nice. I didn't know I had any data worth stealing.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

If you pay them to view other people's credit reports.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

if you exist in america you are an equifax customer

unless maybe youre like the unabomber or thoreau or something idk.

also you can check https://trustedidpremier.com/eligibility/eligibility.html

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Durzel posted:

Dunno where people are screaming insider trading for, some guy at Equifax said that the three execs who sold their shares 2 days after it happened didn't know anything about it? :confused:

The Information Solutions Officer sold his shares.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Xaris posted:

Yeah I'm not about to give Equifax more of my money OR information, or waive my right to sue them in the future.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Waffle House posted:

The Information Solutions Officer sold his shares.

Sounds like he had both information and a solution, what's the issue?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

its funny that literally every concern anybody ever had about the internet has manifested as reality

i bet you'll actually be able to set someones computer on fire remotely like i said i could when i was 12 in ~3 years

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Waffle House posted:

Yeah I'm not about to give Equifax more of my money OR information, or waive my right to sue them in the future.

They already have everything. Your social, all your home addresses, all your work addresses, every liability, and there's a list of companies who subscribe to all this information.

Hell they even have a probability of if you're a terrorist.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Waffle House posted:

I'm not telling you to enroll in trustid premier platinum pro freedom services, but you can check if your info was possibly leaked* they already have everything anyways

*spoiler: it was

Xaris fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 8, 2017

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Xaris posted:

Thanks, it says I was affected. So you guys are not enrolling in their watchdog program so that we can sue them? I think you should be able to enroll and also sue.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Hey, maybe this will be a good reason to roll out an actual national identity system that's meant for these kinds of things instead of social security numbers which aren't meant for these kinds of things.

Nah. Probably not, because our government and the financial system are both incompetent.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It says I wasn't affected so I just assume they're lieing

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Xaris posted:

Neat, I was affected. Lol that I have to wait a couple days though.

"Your information was taken by hackers, we will do something about this in a couple business days*"

*it will take a couple business days for a couple business days to take effect, possibly maybe

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Khorne posted:

Hey, maybe this will be a good reason to roll out an actual national identity system that's meant for these kinds of things instead of social security numbers which aren't meant for these kinds of things.

Nah. Probably not, because our government and the financial system are both incompetent.

On the other hand the social security administration was recently hacked as well. Pretty much everyone/everything has been hacked/is being hacked by now.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Khorne posted:

National ID is the mark of the beast.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
people are saying if you even put in your info to check whether you were compromised, it goes "Thanks for signing up!" for their pinky-promise-not-to-sue contract?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Xaris posted:

After everyone was talking up how you have to be living in the woods or be the unabomber to not be affected, I was kinda proud to see this:

I am not a number

I am a free man!

<uproarious laughter>

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Stuntman posted:

...they MADE A STATEMENT SAYING THAT THEIR DATABASE WAS COMPROMISED
like please read at least a tiny bit before you start your smug self gratification

yes and? how does that mean I can get a default judgment in small claims court? sorry i'm not a lawyer

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

myDad posted:

Also yeah isn't this insider trading? Does it even matter if all they get is a slap on the wrist?

what america needs is our own rodrigo duterte to take on the money lenders and all businesses even tangentially related to them

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

And it got stolen weeks ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/07/business/equifax-cyberattack.html

Even better, they waited so their executives could dump their shares before the announcement.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/07/equifax-managers-dumped-stock/

Even better, they're directing affected people to register for a free account on TrustedID Premier. Note that TrustedID Premier prohibits you from participating in any class-action lawsuits against Equifax.

https://trustedidpremier.com/static/terms

So can we build the loving gallows yet?

i heard about it when they went public yesterday morning but had no idea it was this bad. isnt that a third of the US population and like half the workforce?

tried that dang link

Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information may have been impacted by this incident.

Click the button below to continue your enrollment in TrustedID Premier.

Lawrence Gilchrist fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 8, 2017

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Novo posted:

My impression is that it's kind of hosed up that these guys have set up a system where I'm paying them not to gently caress me over in one way or another

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
It's going to be really funny when all of Equifax's top executives are in jail. Lol. :thurman:

• Locked thread