Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Wamdoodle posted:

They're "check to see if we hosed you link" might not even have been working:

Check out @zackwhittaker’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/zackwhittaker/status/906247688768905216?s=09

No that's Anthony Test.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Every C-level member of Equifax should get a Bronson jailmate. :nws: :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F3B2GHaiRc&t=27s

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

EQUIFAX STOLE MY CAR <:mad:>

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Equifax stole my virginity!!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Wamdoodle posted:

Check out @zackwhittaker’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/zackwhittaker/status/906247688768905216?s=09

Didn't a couple of posters say that they weren't compromised?

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

scrubs season six posted:

I too have never heard of creditkarma

Oh thats ok it wouldn't matter, creditkarma doesn't give you a credit report, it gives you a credit score

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Can I just say my car loan was fraudulent and go park the car in a ditch somewhere? I'm like 10 grand under water on it and I'm tired of it anyway.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/906214399811170304

A russian hacker is gonna own SA :negative:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Over There posted:

Didn't a couple of posters say that they weren't compromised?

Here's someone else saying:

https://twitter.com/VsemSocial/status/906258606357594112

"It's not checking anything. I actually tried a bit of gibberish a few times...twice it said it was compromised and once that it was safe"

In short: lol

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Check mine:
Last name: Wild
Soc: ***-69-4420

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
I just signed up for Credit Karma; if anyone is wondering it seems like a quality service. They show you ads, but the site itself seems very well designed and the information is pretty thorough. You don't get a full report but you can see lots of data about your accounts and can configure email alerts and poo poo for different types of activity.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Tax Inductions posted:

Thanks in part to this thread I went over my credit report carefully and found a new credit card account I wasn't aware of with Barclaycard in Delaware, opened in late july so it could have been from this breach. It hasn't had any charges on it, maybe the dudes were laying low for a while. Called them up and cancelled it, they had all my information correct except for my mother's maiden name which I guess they just made up. Stay safe out there goons!

I strongly reccomend gathering all the data you have and filing a police report along with a fraud alert.

Also if you have a police report filed you can get a special extended (seven year) fraud alert.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0279-extended-fraud-alerts-and-credit-freezes

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Novo posted:

I just signed up for Credit Karma; if anyone is wondering it seems like a quality service. They show you ads, but the site itself seems very well designed and the information is pretty thorough. You don't get a full report but you can see lots of data about your accounts and can configure email alerts and poo poo for different types of activity.

The mobile app is also pretty good, it doesn't give you a full report, but it does let you know what accounts you have open and how much you owe per account which should be enough if you monitor it frequently enough.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

im usually pretty conservative i guess but if credit is going to play such a big role in our lives then i guess the gubmint should be doing it not a corporation

:shrug:

then again what has the gubmint ever done right

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Capital One gives you free credit monitoring stuff when you have an account with them, it's really easy to use.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

also equifax executives sold stock two days after they were notified of the hack lol

They are saying it was just TOTALLY COINCIDENTAL lmao. Someone at the SEC had a laugh I'm sure.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Just one other note:

Having a good credit score number doesn't necessarily mean you don't have something going on. You might see that number go down or UP if new accounts are added. When those accounts start to go 30, 60, or 90 days overdue that's when you will definitely see that number start to drop.

The credit report lists stuff you need to keep an eye on:
- Credit accounts and if they are being paid or are delinquent or in default
- Your personal information and addresses (unrecognized addresses are a huge warning sign)

Also if you placed a fraud alert and then pulled a credit report, there should be a section that indicates you have an alert, the contact phone numbers, and when it expires.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
is there a possibility of ever reaching a tipping point where so much fraud occurs that credit reports are just totally useless and nobody is willing to risk extending credit

and if so how can we make that day come faster

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Three-Phase posted:

Just one other note:

Having a good credit score number doesn't necessarily mean you don't have something going on. You might see that number go down or UP if new accounts are added. When those accounts start to go 30, 60, or 90 days overdue that's when you will definitely see that number start to drop.

The credit report lists stuff you need to keep an eye on:
- Credit accounts and if they are being paid or are delinquent or in default
- Your personal information and addresses (unrecognized addresses are a huge warning sign)

Also if you placed a fraud alert and then pulled a credit report, there should be a section that indicates you have an alert, the contact phone numbers, and when it expires.

Went over to Experian to file my fraud alert since Equifax has poo poo the bed, and got a copy of my report from them in the process. Found an unrecognized address in Tampa on there. I've never even been to Tampa.

e: but no new accounts or recent inquiries that I didn't know about.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

is there a possibility of ever reaching a tipping point where so much fraud occurs that credit reports are just totally useless and nobody is willing to risk extending credit

and if so how can we make that day come faster

I was thinking about this last night...if someone bought the data set on the black market and leaked it again, it might force industry and the government to reform things.

I don't do cryptocurrencies but maybe someone could create some kind of DAO on Ethereum that takes bitcoin donations and uses them to buy up stolen PII and release it.

Dirty business but if 2017 has taught us anything it's that accelerationism owns?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

ReidRansom posted:

Went over to Experian to file my fraud alert since Equifax has poo poo the bed, and got a copy of my report from them in the process. Found an unrecognized address in Tampa on there. I've never even been to Tampa.

e: but no new accounts or recent inquiries that I didn't know about.

You should still contact the CRAs to correct that since it's wrong. I am wondering if it could be for a fraudulent utility bill or someone is working and/or receiving benefits and using your information.

One problem with wrong information sitting in a credit file is that if may make it harder for you to verify yourself in the future. Like if you go to request a credit report and it asks you what that Florida address you lived at was.

Also this is a pain but if you need to send something in writing to a CRA always send it certified mail and keep a copy of the receipt! In fact you might even want to get a folder just for information on this so it's all in one place.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 9, 2017

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

jokes on them, i dont have an identity

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

(Wow, Mr Lowtaxesballsack ssn 654321 has been compromised!)

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah, this poo poo appears to not really query anything except maybe an equifax customer database to see if you're their customer already or if they need to shove their marketing dick in your ear a little further.

Basically it's a fraudulent site that will try to get you signed up for their service even if you are among the 160 million who were not affected.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Wamdoodle posted:

please let this come up during the insider trading trials :pray:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

So can we build the loving gallows yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exnaY0l4XsM

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

OWLS! posted:

Basically it's a fraudulent site that will try to get you signed up for their service even if you are among the 160 million who were not affected.

it is amazingly ballsy to immediately try to gently caress and rob the people you're currently apologizing to for having just hosed

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zorodius posted:

it is amazingly ballsy to immediately try to gently caress and rob the people you're currently apologizing to for having just hosed

Never attribute to malice what could easily be attributed to incompetence.

(Lol if you think that the IT response to this is competent in any way shape or form. loving *wordpress*, man)

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Three-Phase posted:

You should still contact the CRAs to correct that since it's wrong. I am wondering if it could be for a fraudulent utility bill or someone is working and/or receiving benefits and using your information.

One problem with wrong information sitting in a credit file is that if may make it harder for you to verify yourself in the future. Like if you go to request a credit report and it asks you what that Florida address you lived at was.

Also this is a pain but if you need to send something in writing to a CRA always send it certified mail and keep a copy of the receipt! In fact you might even want to get a folder just for information on this so it's all in one place.

I filed a dispute on that address while I was in there. Haven't done the others agencies yet, but I'll probably check those as well when I'm back from sea. I wish there was some way to see a date range associated with the addresses, though. I don't recall anything amiss address-wise last time I looked at my full report, but that has been several years.

e: also, yeah, fiancee and I keep a document file. Also we have a small fire safe for important things and a shredder to eat mail and other documents. We try to be semi-responsible, boring though it is.

We should probably be teaching this poo poo in high schools if they still do a personal finance etc. semester.

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 9, 2017

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat

OWLS! posted:

Yeah, this poo poo appears to not really query anything except maybe an equifax customer database to see if you're their customer already or if they need to shove their marketing dick in your ear a little further.

Called it. The breach was viral marketing for their new TrustedID service.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

OWLS! posted:

This was sent out on a mass email at work and it told everyone to check. :cripes:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

please let this come up during the insider trading trials :pray:
lol if you think those execs are going to trial

there will be some dem congresspeople "expressing concern" the end

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

ReidRansom posted:

I filed a dispute on that address while I was in there. Haven't done the others agencies yet, but I'll probably check those as well when I'm back from sea. I wish there was some way to see a date range associated with the addresses, though. I don't recall anything amiss address-wise last time I looked at my full report, but that has been several years.

e: also, yeah, fiancee and I keep a document file. Also we have a small fire safe for important things and a shredder to eat mail and other documents. We try to be semi-responsible, boring though it is.

We should probably be teaching this poo poo in high schools if they still do a personal finance etc. semester.

The reports I've seen list a "date last reported" for each address, but those tend to be useless.

You might also be able to add a consumer statement to your credit file that says "Hey, this is ReidRansom, that Florida address is bogus. Please use extra caution." But I'm not sure if that would be worthwhile or not, or could cause more hassle than help...

Additional info: http://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/be-cautious-about-adding-statements-to-your-credit-history/

Hope this helps.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
The New York AG has said on his Twitter that the arbitration clause is unenforceable bullshit, and he called them demanding that it be taken down. He also says they're going to put Equifax through the wringer, but I'll believe it when I see it.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Three-Phase posted:

How concerned should a person be about the inquiries? Mine was Lexis Nexus, banks, insurance companies, credit card companies, etc. No addresses or anything else that looked weird, but some inquiries seemed random.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

The New York AG has said on his Twitter that the arbitration clause is unenforceable bullshit, and he called them demanding that it be taken down. He also says they're going to put Equifax through the wringer, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I could kind of believe it, coming from the NYAG. Schneiderman has at least been talking pretty tough, though I don't know if his follow through backs it up. If it were the SEC or FTC I would be far less inclined to have any hope at all, given the current administration.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

reagan posted:

How concerned should a person be about the inquiries? Mine was Lexis Nexus, banks, insurance companies, credit card companies, etc. No addresses or anything else that looked weird, but some inquiries seemed random.

This is a big part of the problem. Lots of organizations you do business with do peek at your credit file. My understanding is that some of these are "hard" inquiries and others are "soft". (Too many "hard" inquiries look suspicious like you are applying to a lot of places for credit and being denied and too many can drop your credit score and be a red flag.) So it's not super easy to tell you whether it's suspicious or not, but unless something stands out as really out of place like multiple pulls from mortgage or auto loan places it might not be a problem.

Some of those might be for things like companies that send out pre-approved credit cards. Once you have a fraud alert placed I think you will see fewer of those types of inquiries.

When I applied for a loan awhile back I ended up getting three hard pulls from three different lenders.

I think that credit reports list soft pulls as "inquiries that do not impact your credit score". I think that includes things like insurance underwriting and identity background checks.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 9, 2017

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Syrinxx posted:

lol if you think those execs are going to trial

there will be some dem congresspeople "expressing concern" the end

and some rep congresspeople will then go why do we even need sec anyways, we should get guvmint out of stocks and let free market inside trade anyways why not

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Three-Phase posted:

Some of those might be for things like companies that send out pre-approved credit cards. Once you have a fraud alert placed I think you will see fewer of those types of inquiries.

When I did my fraud alert it said it removes you from those lists for two years, which sounds like enough reason to me to do one in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Three-Phase posted:

This is a big part of the problem. Lots of organizations you do business with do peek at your credit file. My understanding is that some of these are "hard" inquiries and others are "soft". (Too many "hard" inquiries look suspicious like you are applying to a lot of places for credit and being denied and too many can drop your credit score and be a red flag.) So it's not super easy to tell you whether it's suspicious or not, but unless something stands out as really out of place like multiple pulls from mortgage or auto loan places it might not be a problem.

When I applied for a loan awhile back I ended up getting three hard pulls from three different lenders.

I think that credit reports list soft pulls as "inquiries that do not impact your credit score". I think that includes things like insurance underwriting and identity background checks.

Maybe after this shitshow credit scores will be so vulnerable that nobody will take them seriously anymore and we can fundamentally reform our credit poliAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Locked thread