Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Resident Evil.

This series has three perfect games (RE2, RE4 and REmake), and a ton of great ones. I just finished a run of Resident Evil 4 on pro mode, and I'm starting a new one immediately. Once I pull myself away from RE4 I'm going to do a run of REmake too. Plus I've got co-op runs of RE5 and 6 pro mode lined up in the near future. I've got RE Mania

I just wanted a thread to talk about this amazing series. I hadn't actually ever finished pro mode in RE4 until today, and I have to say I don't think I can ever go back to normal and dynamic difficulty. Like God Hand's hard mode, Pro mode sets the difficulty to max and keeps it there, no matter how bad you play. This is a pretty good explanation of how the dynamic difficulty in RE4 works. It's a lot more complicated than I thought it would be.

https://www.speedrun.com/re4/guide/3sahj

Nearly every single thing feels satisfying in RE4, from something as simple as inventory management to something as ridiculous as escaping from a 50 foot tall statue of a manlet. Every moment is memorable, the voice acting is genius and the enemy variety never gets stale. I love this videogame

Anyway I'm going to go play RE4 now. I was going to do a default handgun + knife run, but I thought that it might be more fun to try using all 4 handguns in a run instead. If nothing else this will give the Punisher a chance to shine in the later game.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I remember playing RE4 until I unlocked the Handcannon with infinite ammo, then played through the whole game with said Handcannon, and then I wept for there were no more lands to conquer.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

RE4 is one of the greatest games ever made, across all categories

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
RE7 is really good

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dN5z_hdI-8

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

A 50 Foot Statue of Larry Parish.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Wormskull posted:

i didnt know they could stack poo poo that high

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I found out today that I own Revelations 1+2 on steam. Are they any good?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

I found out today that I own Revelations 1+2 on steam. Are they any good?

Rev 1 is solid and I really like revelations 2, it was my favorite of the resident evils past RE4 until 7.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

Wormskull posted:

Jesus Christ

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Just played through the whole village with just handguns and I'm having a blast. It's fun as hell to swap between all of them, waiting for the perfect chance to reload all your guns at once

I'm making this a small attache case run as well. I don't see why not.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I support everything you said except your goal of playing through RE6 all the way.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

i must compose posted:

I support everything you said except your goal of playing through RE6 all the way.

I played and beat RE6 for the first time earlier this year and it's pretty fun honestly. Much better than 5

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Evil Eagle posted:

Just played through the whole village with just handguns and I'm having a blast. It's fun as hell to swap between all of them, waiting for the perfect chance to reload all your guns at once

I'm making this a small attache case run as well. I don't see why not.

drat, I gotta try this out. RE4 has such good pistols

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

RE4 was the poo poo but I have a special place in my heart for the REmake and RE2

Also 5 was pretty fun as a couch co-op game.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

HolePisser1982 posted:

drat, I gotta try this out. RE4 has such good pistols

It's fun as hell man. I can't wait to get the handgun and punisher exclusives

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

Pablo Gigante posted:

I played and beat RE6 for the first time earlier this year and it's pretty fun honestly. Much better than 5

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Got to the first typewriter on the island in my quad handguns run. This is probably the most fun I've ever had playing RE4

I've got the exclusive on everything but the blacktail, and as you can see all 4 guns are getting use. The punisher wrecks shields and groups, the handgun is great for headshots and the red9 and blacktail are great powerhouses for bosses and tougher enemies. 4-1 was the hardest chapter so far. The room with 6 knights, the bridge after the clocktower and the fight with Verdugo are where most of those 26 deaths came from. Can't wait to tackle the rest of the island tomorrow.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

extremebuff posted:

RE4 is one of the greatest games ever made, across all categories

It's true

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

What are you playin on? There is no wrong choice with this great game

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

i must compose posted:

The Gay Stupid Cube 64 most likely lmfao. But your right, as long as your enjoying yourself, it doesn't marter that your using possibly the worst, gayest console in history.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Wormskull posted:

The Gay Stupid Cube 64 most likely lmfao. But your right, as long as your enjoying yourself, it doesn't marter that your using possibly the worst, gayest console in history.

Been a while since I looked at the Xbox One hate thread, these nicknames got wild

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
re1 is a really fun game imo.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

i must compose posted:

The PC HD version. I can't wait for this to be done

http://www.re4hd.com/

Anyway I beat the game again. Small case and all 4 handguns. Every gun pulled its weight in this run, and believe it or not the punisher is actually really good on the island. Though, once ammo started getting scarce late game I stopped reloading the normal handgun as often as the other guns.

Here's my final case layout. I wanted to beat Saddler without the Rocket Launcher (Special), so I only used the Red9 and the Blacktail in the final fight.

I still haven't gotten enough of this game. I already know what my next run is going to be...

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Oh yeah and I was streaming it so here's the Saddler fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FTgXuXePvQ&t=4869s

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Evil Eagle posted:

The PC HD version. I can't wait for this to be done

http://www.re4hd.com/

Anyway I beat the game again. Small case and all 4 handguns. Every gun pulled its weight in this run, and believe it or not the punisher is actually really good on the island. Though, once ammo started getting scarce late game I stopped reloading the normal handgun as often as the other guns.

Here's my final case layout. I wanted to beat Saddler without the Rocket Launcher (Special), so I only used the Red9 and the Blacktail in the final fight.

I still haven't gotten enough of this game. I already know what my next run is going to be...

Good luck with that. I once attempted a mine thrower run but the game doesn't distribute ammo for it like it does the other guns. It's still fun to play it that way, though.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Never played re4. What's the best version?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

my morning jackass posted:

The recent PC version on Steam or the PS4/XB1 port are the definitive versions

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

my morning jackass posted:

Original run:
GameCube (the controller works great for this game, fight me)

Updated version:
PS4/XB1 or 360/PC port

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Seriously RE4 is one of the top 5 action games of all time easily.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

People swear by the Wii version, but tbh I think it ruins the game. If you have a Gamecube, PS4 or PC play one of those versions. If PC don't use mouse and keyboard.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
M+K on PC still controls the same way the controller does. The Wii version is the only one with the OP aiming

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

M+K on PC still controls the same way the controller does. The Wii version is the only one with the OP aiming

yeah. it was really fun though. one of the like 3 games where the waggle actually added to the experience

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

Oh, ok.

The mine launcher run isn't going well but I'm not giving up on it yet. Even with no other weapon I'm barely getting mine dart drops, but I can sell the launcher back to the merchant and buy it back for ammo if it really comes to that. And if just ends up as mostly a knife run I think I'll try all shotguns instead.

I also played through separate ways with just the blacktail + knife and it was easier than I expected. Saddler and Krauser are both chumped by the knife, I didn't even fire a bullet at either of them.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Started playing RE4 for the first time since I was 13 thanks to this thread. Hated the game back then and got stuck on the sliding block puzzle - this time, I just finished a 7 hour long session. Every part I remembered being really hard and awful was actually fun and interesting, even the bit in the castle where you have to defend Ashley while she turns the cranks.

It's probably for the best that I returned it to the rental store before beating it as a kid, now I can actually appreciate how fun it is. Probably doesn't hurt that I'm on PC either, makes it more possible for me to make those awesome precision shots where you shoot their thrown weapon out of the air. This game is good, I'll probably beat it tonight

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

klapman posted:

Started playing RE4 for the first time since I was 13 thanks to this thread. Hated the game back then and got stuck on the sliding block puzzle - this time, I just finished a 7 hour long session. Every part I remembered being really hard and awful was actually fun and interesting, even the bit in the castle where you have to defend Ashley while she turns the cranks.

It's probably for the best that I returned it to the rental store before beating it as a kid, now I can actually appreciate how fun it is. Probably doesn't hurt that I'm on PC either, makes it more possible for me to make those awesome precision shots where you shoot their thrown weapon out of the air. This game is good, I'll probably beat it tonight

how did you get stuck on the sliding box puzzle, its literally in every game since the dawn of time lol

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Liquid Drink posted:

how did you get stuck on the sliding box puzzle, its literally in every game since the dawn of time lol

And they're bad in all of them except for this one since the solution is simple enough to memorize

Anyway this game is fantastic and now I think I'll go replay it again. Beat the HD PC version for the first time a few months ago but still need to unlock the Handcannon...

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

klapman posted:

I'm glad that you're seeing the light after all these years. RE4 was my first M Rated game, and I got it back when I really played nothing but first party Nintendo and Sega stuff. It's definitely responsible for me branching out and becoming the gamer I am today. Man, RE4 was so mind blowing back then.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 11, 2017

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Liquid Drink posted:

I had to pick between knowing sliding box puzzles or tower of hanoi and I picked the tower.

Evil Eagle posted:

I'm glad that you're seeing the light after all these years. RE4 was my first M Rated game, and I got it back when I really played nothing but first party Nintendo and Sega stuff. It's definitely responsible for me branching out and becoming the gamer I am today. Man, RE4 was so mind blowing back then.

When I brought the game back to the rental store, 13 year old me stood there for about 30 minutes telling the store clerk about how lovely Resident Evil 4 was. After my rant he said "I think it's good" and I was so angry I stomped out of the store without trading it in for a new game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Planning out a no weapon upgrades pro run in my head right now...

• Locked thread