Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

beepstreet posted:

As cool as some of those beta versions of RE4 looked I'm still really glad the game came out they way it did. So good.

I’m not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Lol

100% accuracy run is a go, imps.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
It’s a good action game, but it’s not resident evil at all and started the downward trend of the series in that style. I hope Remake 2 is good

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

It's more than good, it's a genre defining masterpiece. I would certainly like a new game like REmake, RE2 or RE0 but I don't see that happening ever. Especially with REMake 2 ditching tank controls and fixed camera. At least REMake 2 looks gorgeous but I can't get that excited for it just yet. Mostly because RE7 has the most rear end shooting in a video game ever, I really hope it is nothing like that.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

all resident evil games are action games

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

an actual dog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRmc9IPGmiA

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

an actual dog posted:

Yeah

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

an actual dog posted:

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

we got DMC1 out of one of the re4 drafts.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

if 1.5 can leak, maybe some of the betas of 4 can too.

VWVWV
Jan 19, 2010

I started REmake a few days ago and just reached yobgoblin's journal. It doesn't feel like much of an action game to me, but I'm sure that will change the further I get into the game. So far it feels more like an adventure game or something with all the disposable items and weird puzzles.

This is only my second game in the series after playing 7, and I'm happy to say that I actually see myself finishing this one.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

VWVWV posted:

I started REmake a few days ago and just reached yobgoblin's journal. It doesn't feel like much of an action game to me, but I'm sure that will change the further I get into the game. So far it feels more like an adventure game or something with all the disposable items and weird puzzles.

This is only my second game in the series after playing 7, and I'm happy to say that I actually see myself finishing this one.

Resi is definitely an adventure game before anything else, you aren't wrong.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In Training posted:

[Eyeing up Leon Kennedy decked out in full RPD Uniform] What are you a cop or something?

It's a valid question because none of the other RPD uniforms look like that at all. I think he's just so keen he turned up on his first day in RPD pyjamas

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The latest animated Resident Evil film is loving badass

https://gfycat.com/WeirdDeterminedDobermanpinscher

Leon got the Punisher exclusive in it

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Upgrading the guns in the best part of RE4, why would you deny yourself that joy??

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

re4hd is out this friday. gonna be sick.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

In Training posted:

re4hd is out this friday. gonna be sick.

What year is it?

Unless you mean the super-HD mod.

Sorry I had to giggle at this URL, given that Dobermann dogs are the original Cerberus abomination.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 11, 2018

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

What year is it?

Unless you mean the super-HD mod.

Sorry I had to giggle at this URL, given that Dobermann dogs are the original Cerberus abomination.

The super-hd mod (minus character models and some enemy models) is coming out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUcd2DDykOM

ultimateforce posted:

Upgrading the guns in the best part of RE4, why would you deny yourself that joy??

I'm going to upgrade this pistol this time. But I do want to do an un-upgraded pistol run eventually

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Evil Eagle posted:

The super-hd mod (minus character models and some enemy models) is coming out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUcd2DDykOM

I'm going to upgrade this pistol this time. But I do want to do an un-upgraded pistol run eventually

This is awesome.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

Evil Eagle posted:

I've beaten RE4 probably 10 times and I still fully upgrade the Red9 because I think it's so much fun to use.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Will it work with current saves? When I heard about this I paused my professional run but I was only in chapter 2 anyway so I could start over. Just curious.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 14, 2018

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

lmao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Will it work with current saves? When I heard about this I paused my professional run but I was only in chapter 2 anyway so I could start over. Just curious.

Lol gently caress. Sorry.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

Lol gently caress. Sorry.

wtf. Also yes it will

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you're IK and using the SA app quote and edit are right next to each other by design but also I can edit any post so sometimes that happens. I usually catch it before I submit a post but I'm drunk

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also I figured since it's just a texture overhaul

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Thinking about buying REmake on PC so I can try out the randomizer.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I haven't really fully played another Resident Evil game is 7 really that bad in comparison for you REheads? I loved it until like the boat part at the end and everything after that. I own REMake and need to give it another try and I've also played RE4 up to the castle section way back on the Wii when it came out but that's it. My favorite parts of 7 were exploring and searching around for stuff and the weird optional side puzzles. Shooting guys sucked for the most part

edit: basically which one should I play next? redownload the 1 remake or rebuy 4 or get 0 or what? i hear a lot of mixed things about 5 and 6 but i think they're still currently in deep sale mode right now on PSN

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
7 is its own weird rear end thing that never really felt like an RE game to me. 4/5/6 are all kinda their own thing, with 4 clearly being the best, 5 and 6 can be fun if you're into co-op and don't take them too seriously.

1/2/3 are kinda their own thing, with 2 probably being the best of the group. Maybe start with Remake or 2 or 5 or finish 4 I guess. You can't really go wrong if you've got the time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you get 5 I'll co-op the whole thing with you. RE7 is fine but its basically capcom looking at the 3 years of steam early access horror games where you slowly walk around and look at jump scares and they made that game with an RE logo on it. It was also the first RE game I beat but now I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, ESPECIALLY lore wise.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wuold say play any of them that looks cool except RE Zero, because its probably too overwhelming and weird to jump into first.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I'll try remake again because i already own it but yeah IT if you're down to co-op I'll totally buy 5 . didn't know the whole game was co-op enabled, that's cool

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

goferchan posted:

I haven't really fully played another Resident Evil game is 7 really that bad in comparison for you REheads? I loved it until like the boat part at the end and everything after that. I own REMake and need to give it another try and I've also played RE4 up to the castle section way back on the Wii when it came out but that's it. My favorite parts of 7 were exploring and searching around for stuff and the weird optional side puzzles. Shooting guys sucked for the most part

edit: basically which one should I play next? redownload the 1 remake or rebuy 4 or get 0 or what? i hear a lot of mixed things about 5 and 6 but i think they're still currently in deep sale mode right now on PSN

I definitely agree with you about RE7. Loved the start with the Bakers, the boat was a chore. I definitely thought it did some cool things and took some risks. My biggest complaint with the game was the enemy variety.

Before RE7, the series was basically divided into two eras. You had the classic series, which went from the original in 1996 up until Resident Evil 0 in 2002. These games have fixed cameras, limited ammunition, strict inventory management, lots of puzzles. The games take place over distinct areas you can explore and backtrack through.

In 2005, Resident Evil 4 ushered in the modern era and changed the face of action games. It was followed by 5, 6, and the Revelations sub-series. These games have much more combat, over-the-shoulder camera angles, much fewer puzzles, etc. These games (generally) take place over separate levels.

In my opinion, the Resident Evil remake is the pinnacle of the classic series. It combines gorgeous, haunting art direction, the best environment in the series, minimal bullshit, a (relatively) restrained storyline, good enemies, reasonable puzzles, and didn't go overboard with weapons. It originally came out in 2002, and it's the culmination of 6 years of refinements and experimentation. It still holds up in 2018, and since you already own it there's no excuse not to play it. Granted, you might give it a good shot and end up hating it. That's fine. But I would say that if you hate REmake, the other classic games aren't going to do anything for you.

Resident Evil 4 received universal acclaim when it was released, and it's been ported to every system available. It achieved mainstream popularity that the series hadn't received in a very long time. That said, it was a dramatic break from tradition so a lot of old-school fans were less positive about it. I think it's still enjoyable today, although you have to keep in mind that a lot of its innovation and creativity was copied by other franchises. It probably won't feel mindblowing. But it's definitely the high point of the modern series, and a great entry point for newcomers.

If you LOVE Remake, then check out RE0. I have a lot of negative things to say about that game, but it's more of the REmake visual and gameplay style. This is definitely not a Yakuza situation – only play it after REmake. It's pretty challenging.

RE5, more or less, is RE4 with co-op. If you have a human to play with, it's a blast. If you're playing with the AI, it's a mixed bag. It's a big, epic, action blockbuster that tries to really finish off the series myth arc, which you probably won't care about. But there's good there.

RE6 is a mess. It's a big, big game, with 4 separate campaigns and 7 playable characters. It tried to do something for everyone, so one campaign is more horror, one is more shooting, one is more punching. It was incredibly divisive upon release. As the years have gone by, a lot of goons have said that there's some great brawling action and the game deserves a second look. Your mileage may vary, but I'm glad people found something in that game.

There's a lot more games out there, but that should cover everything you asked about. If you like both/either REmake and RE4, the upcoming Resident Evil 2 remake looks to be a fusion of the two styles and has everyone pretty pumped. That comes out early next year.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Something else to keep in mind about RE4 is that all the new stuff it brought to the table back in 2005 has since been picked up and refined in various ways by just about every (competent) developer, so in addition to it no longer being a mindblowing experience of brand new things it can and will feel goddamn clunky at times if you're playing it for the first time, moreso if it's fresh off the back of playing more recent action-shooter games.

goferchan posted:

I haven't really fully played another Resident Evil game is 7 really that bad in comparison for you REheads?
It's certainly not a bad game and it will keep your attention while it lasts, but on reflection I don't think I'll do much more with it (unlike the rest of the series). Not enough variety in what little action there is (oh no another lump of sentient treacle), and the gunplay generally felt clumsy and irritating.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

RE4 still plays better than every game it inspired, even other RE sequels

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

In Training posted:

RE4 still plays better than every game it inspired, even other RE sequels
Uhh....

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

It's certainly not a bad game and it will keep your attention while it lasts, but on reflection I don't think I'll do much more with it (unlike the rest of the series). Not enough variety in what little action there is (oh no another lump of sentient treacle), and the gunplay generally felt clumsy and irritating.

boggles my mind that the solution for the lack of enemy variety was to insert one-hit-kill alligators in the DLC.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I havent played 7 but watching someone stream it i was really confused why you just kill the same 1 enemy a hundred times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Something else to keep in mind about RE4 is that all the new stuff it brought to the table back in 2005 has since been picked up and refined in various ways by just about every (competent) developer, so in addition to it no longer being a mindblowing experience of brand new things it can and will feel goddamn clunky at times if you're playing it for the first time, moreso if it's fresh off the back of playing more recent action-shooter games.

Wrong

• Locked thread