Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Oh man am I excited to play more bloodbowl!

Bloodbowl is a board game by Games Workshop based in the warhammer universe. It's a really fun game but since Games Workshop is a horrible company it's pretty difficult to actually play in real life, between prohibitively expensive models and lots of persnickety things to keep track of I've never played it that way. Though some people take it very seriously.

Instead what I play is Bloodbowl in its various video game forms, both the online free java-based game over on fumbbl and the semi competent games from the developer Cyanide. I've actually already done a Bloodbowl 1 LP that you can find a playlist of over on my youtube channel.

Bloodbowl 2 isn't an updated ruleset of bloodbowl as much as a prettier newer engine with a more complete list of teams (barely and only now 2 years after release) and a theoretically more stable game.

However this is the Legendary Edition which just means its an official expansion pack that adds more teams (all the non-stunty teams finally) for one low-low price. It's actually pretty reasonable and a great time to get in if you've never played before.

Here is a short tutorial video to fill people in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtzutB51qP0

It's not comprehensive but it's enough to give you an idea whats going on if you haven't played the game before. You can totally skip it however, you'll catch on fast enough with the regular videos, I'm sure.

We're going to be playing lizardmen. They're distinct in playstyle from the previous LPs of bloodbowl and I've played them a fair bit. They also will work just fine with THREAD VOTING, which has traditionally been the way that the Something Awful forum is allowed to ruin a perfectly good Bloodbowl Let's Play. I'm going to somewhat limit voting just a bit in this thread but only in so far as I need to get block on my saurus, it's just required. It's boring I know, but the first normal skill up on all the saurus will be block but the thread will get to vote for everything besides that.

Right now I'm playing pubbies inside a cyanide run league but in a perfect world I'd be playing goons instead. There is an old dead IRC that I used to use but it's DEEEEEAAAD and also it's IRC so we're going to upgrade for this thread to discord like responsible adults.

DISCORD CHANNEL: https://discord.gg/CrYDjqd

To challenge the LP team:

If you have once dreamed of killing my skinks then I have good news. I put together a shtity google doc in about 10 minutes so people can sign up for weeks to challenge me.

it's first come first serve and if you don't want to get on discord (which I would prefer you do) then you better have PMs on SA so I can contact you before it's gametime.

Here's the link

The thread is going to update on Fridays, poll votes over the weekend, and close the votes on Mondays. Sometimes there might be weeks when there is no voting required and I can put out an extra update but we'll play that by ear. The videos are going to be about an hour long and I don't want to put up too many in a row and overwhelm people.

Game 1 - Humans
Game 2 - Flings
Game 3 - Chaos Pact
Game 4 - Vampires
Game 5 - Skaven
Game 6 - Nurgle
Game 7 - Professional Elves
Game 8 - Dark Elves
Game 9 - Goblins
Game 10 - Wood Elves
Game 11 - Half 1 - Undead
Game 11 - Half 2 - Undead
Game 12 - Kislev
Game 13 - High Elves
Game 14 - Khemri
Game 15 - Wood Elves
Game 16 - Brettonians
Game 17 - Chaos

Miscellaneous games
Exhibition - Grab Chaos

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Game 1

Our first game is vs. a human team and we play saurus ball to get some spp on our more important players.

Game results and voting:

No votable level ups this time, we just grabbed our first instance of block though so the next level that saurus gets will be open for polling. There will also be voting if the first level up a saurus gets happens to be special, doubles or stats, but for now the only thing we need is a name for our new saurus.

Vote for a name or submit your own if you'd like and don't forget to join the discord if you want to play a game vs the LP team.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Thank you for filling the GNU Order shaped hole in my heart with a Blood Bowl 2 LP!

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 8, 2017

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
This is almost enough to make me want to get BB2 and turn your skinks into a fine paste.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Pows for the pow god, Skulls for the skull throne.

We will now see the return of Two Skinks in a Trenchcoat?

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
Looking forward to this and you bringing in some elf coaches to counter your clear pro-bash bias :colbert:

Can't believe the MVP didn't go to the dead guy you lucker

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Pro bash? My last LP was skaven thank you very much!

I was super worried about that.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Maz (Moz?), you might want to check out Khermi or Undead if you want big numbers. They get 3 dice blocks more often than most.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Mozic. Sometimes Moz.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
You should name ALL the saurii for different kaiju Godzilla fights. I vote Mothra first.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
this topic line is supposed to be ironic but i've gotten 4 separate dates out of the line "the only fantasy football i play is blood bowl" when i use it on bored girls at bars and they bring how much they hate their dudes' fantasy football leagues

the followup is usually something like "what" and i basically say "you know lord of the rings? imagine a dwarf and an orc trying to play football but half the time they forget about the ball to just fight on the field and everyone just lets them because gently caress getting in the middle of that"

the best response i ever got was "still sounds less nerdy than watching some quarterback's stats"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

let's get people hit by A Runaway Train

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Buy A Cheerleader

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:

GNU Order posted:

Buy A Cheerleader
Name new Saurus "A Cheerleader"

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Good to see more Blood Bowl LPs. I was an avid watcher back during the first round of BB LPs, and I hope we get some more goons into it to play against you so it's not just Grognards Tryhards.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

GNU Order posted:

Buy A Cheerleader

Those are so out of fashion these days. He needs an assistant coach to help explain things to his co commentator since they're new to the game.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Rorahusky posted:

Good to see more Blood Bowl LPs. I was an avid watcher back during the first round of BB LPs, and I hope we get some more goons into it to play against you so it's not just Grognards Tryhards.

Got 11 dudes in the discord already and I think most of them will do a challenge or two. A handful more and I'll feel comfortable dropping out of pub league and playing some fun goon games which would be WAY better for the LP.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Aww yeah a Bloodbowl LP. I eagerly look forward to watching this. Any reason for Lizardmen in particular?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Trying to pick something that hasn't been seen before. We've seen bash heavy teams and pure elf skaven bullshit. GnuOrder's necromantic is kinda of hybrid bash/elf since werewolves are so fast, but I though another team that skirts the line between elf and bash would be fun.

Unlike humans which exist in a world where they're neither bashy nor elfy, Lizardmen try and go full on both, making some players pure bash and some pure elf (or at least pure speed and dodging if not ball handling).

I enjoy playing lizards so the LP will be fun for me, and lizards are pretty effective even if you just give the players block. So we can have votes on skills without me worrying that the team is going to actually break i fyou don't build it right.

Some teams are more prone to having a 'one true build' than others, and while your standard lizard teams only come in one variety a lizard team where every player took block+random skills would still be a good team.

So, variety, enjoyment, and the ability to survive democracy!

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable

Rorahusky posted:

I'll second this statement and add a request for naming one of the team's players Grognard Tryhard.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Well, I was just saying in the trad games thread that I was considering picking up 2 and learning the game finally, now I have even more of a reason.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Going to +1 the Kaiju name scheme starting with Mothra

But this game was surprising. I would never have guessed the player of "Raped by Nuffle" might have rage issues. Surely that connotes a well adjusted fun having player!

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Name the new guy Expert Funhaver

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Mothra is a pro football name.

Is there any way to make picking up the ball easier? Short of skills, I mean.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Nope.

You can have better agility, which makes touching the ball easier, or skills that do things like give free rerolls on pickups, but there is no way to get a +1 bonus to agility in the same way you can get +1 to strength with assists on punching.

So the way you deal with that is move your players in such a way that should you succeed and pick up the ball you have somewhere to go, but if you fail and turnover you aren't totally screwed. Sometimes you don't have the ability (or players left alive) to do that though.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I also love BloodBowl except no one plays and also its 40 dollarydoos for all teams.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
The Magic Card, referencing CKnoor's old blood bowl let's play.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Every time that guy threw a single die block I wanted to start screaming. I haven't played BB in actual years and I still remember Rule Number 1: Never Throw Single Die Blocks. If you absolutely have to, Throw Them Last.

Actually, I think that's rule number 2. The actual Rule Number 1 is Stand Your Dudes Up First. That way when you inevitably gently caress up a block at least all your mans are not taking a loving nap on the field for the entirety of the other guys turn.

How... how much is this game?

$10 bux for base? Which includes the chaos team I would probably play? And my computer could probably run it?

Well poo poo.

poo poo.

Dorkasaurusrekt for the new lizard.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
pfff get on my level, -2db blocks all day. not even scared.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

RickVoid posted:

Every time that guy threw a single die block I wanted to start screaming. I haven't played BB in actual years and I still remember Rule Number 1: Never Throw Single Die Blocks. If you absolutely have to, Throw Them Last.

Actually, I think that's rule number 2. The actual Rule Number 1 is Stand Your Dudes Up First. That way when you inevitably gently caress up a block at least all your mans are not taking a loving nap on the field for the entirety of the other guys turn.

How... how much is this game?

$10 bux for base? Which includes the chaos team I would probably play? And my computer could probably run it?

Well poo poo.

poo poo.

Dorkasaurusrekt for the new lizard.

10 bux for the base game if you don't want the extra teams ever, or 40 bux if you want to buy legendary edition and have everything available. I have no idea how intensive it is but the base game is 3 years old so not-very I'd guess.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Quincytbb posted:

Name new Saurus "A Cheerleader"

This except his name is H. Ear his first skill up must be Leader.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
So I've played the tutorial in Blood Bowl 1, and tried playing this a bunch myself otherwise, but I have to say, watching Game 1 ( I have yet to watch YOUR tutorial video, I figured it was just a video of the BB2 tut which I'll do later ) but I learned more poo poo from your video than any of the tutorials I've seen otherwise.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The tutorial video is a video of my own creation just explaining how punches and touching the ball works. it doesn't go into strategy or anything more complex, but it will help people who have never touched bloodbowl figure out whats going on.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Agent355 posted:

The tutorial video is a video of my own creation just explaining how punches and touching the ball works. it doesn't go into strategy or anything more complex, but it will help people who have never touched bloodbowl figure out whats going on.

It was still very useful. I have one question that seems really silly, the dice faces, I get the arrow, just pushes, the Skull, you fall down, The explosion(?) you knock the other player down, explosion with skull, you BOTH fall down, what is the explosion with a exclamation point? Is that the one you knock them down with a chance to injure? Or is it just a higher chance of injury? Does explosion imply chance for injury?

This whole armor/injury thing is something that I am kind of mystified by.

Also, as someone who feels like they're likely to just play punch-man Orks, I now feel like it's an rear end in a top hat move to play in a league like that since it's mostly punch-man and injuries trying to slowly march the ball across the field. That an accurate idea of the Ork play?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It's more of a sound effect bubble from and old skill comic book. Think "biff!" "Pow!" Etc. A lot of people call them pows.

All knockdowns can injure a player, the exclamation point icon is defender stumbles. It's identical to the one without, except players with the skill "dodge" treat it as a push instead.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Drowning Rabbit posted:

It was still very useful. I have one question that seems really silly, the dice faces, I get the arrow, just pushes, the Skull, you fall down, The explosion(?) you knock the other player down, explosion with skull, you BOTH fall down, what is the explosion with a exclamation point? Is that the one you knock them down with a chance to injure? Or is it just a higher chance of injury? Does explosion imply chance for injury?

Also, as someone who feels like they're likely to just play punch-man Orks, I now feel like it's an rear end in a top hat move to play in a league like that since it's mostly punch-man and injuries trying to slowly march the ball across the field. That an accurate idea of the Ork play?

Orks aren't as killy as you might think. They certainly aren't a pure murder team.

They're relatively boring and straight forward, but they're good for new players. If you play in the discord against goons with orcs you'll probably still find games at low TV but once the team gets some experience nobody will want to play against them as Bashy higher than 1400-1500 TV becomes really tough to deal with unless you also have a bashy team.

And what the other guy said about the two different pow icons. One is a '6' in that it always suceeds (no exclamation mark), the other is a '5' in that is almost always succeeds but the skill 'dodge' allows players to avoid it.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Drowning Rabbit posted:

The explosion with the exclamation point is called "pow/push" and does the largely the same thing as the regular explosion. The only difference is anyone with the Dodge skill can treat that result like a regular push (which the little skinks on Agent's team have).

The armor/injury thing is pretty straightforward, actually. Any time you hit the pitch for any reason (fall down, get knocked over, ect) you roll for armor on 2d6. If the result of those dice are higher than your Armor Value, you roll on the injury table. You roll 2d6 again, and the results dictate how injured you are. 2-7 is Stunned (can't do anything next turn), 8-9 is KO'd (removed from the pitch with a 50% chance to come back before every kickoff), and 10-12 is Casualty (you're done for the game). Like everything else in this game there are skills or other things to modify almost all of these numbers, but thems the basics. Oh and every Casualty has a 1/6 chance in resulting in death!

Yeah, Orcs play real slow and punch and for what we call the 2-1 grind.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Blackmage Yapo posted:

Any time you hit the pitch for any reason...

:smug::smuggo::smug::smuggo::smug::smuggo:

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Blackmage Yapo posted:

You should name ALL the saurii for different kaiju Godzilla fights. I vote Mothra first.

+1 vote for naming everything after godzilla's foes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Drowning Rabbit posted:

The explosion symbol with the exclaimation point is Defender Stumbles, which is treated as a normal knockdown just like the normal explosion symbol, unless your opponent has Dodge, in which case it only counts as a push. It's one of the reasons why Dodge, along with Block, are considered some of the most important skills to have early on, since it negates the 'bad' effects of one of your Block Dice rolls.

And yes, you can have both abilities on a player, affectionately known in the community as being a Blodge player. Blodgers are annoying to deal with since normally, they only get knocked down when punched on 1 out of 6 dice results as opposed to the 3-on-6 you'd normally have.

Rorahusky fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 10, 2017

• Locked thread