Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah that was my bad, it can be hard not to talk about the game results as a whole when I'm talking about a particular play, but I try not to, and will try harder in the future.

Also yes buy the game and get in discord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Oh also I should post this in the thread so people know. The easiest time for me to play games for the LP is Monday/Tuesday probably in the evening. (anytime from 3-4pm EST to 1-2am EST) and I'll be looking for games in that window.

For the first couple of weeks (probably) I won't need to schedule out games or anything because the TV is low enough to play mostly fresh teams and we have enough people floating around looking to play that somebody will be around. As the LP goes on I'll be scheduling games with particular goons and setting up times to make it easier for everybody, but for now if you'd like to play just hang out in the discord early in the week and I'll be around asking.

Don't be afraid to ask to play me as well, as I might just be sitting there working on something and planning to ask for a game later, but I could just play right then.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Agent355 posted:

I think we can assume that anybody who is reading this far below the game update post has either watched it or is aware of the risk so I won't worry about spoiler tags.

The reason i didn't take the reroll is that I looked at the state of the board and figured that he would not be able to effectively threaten me next turn. If he was right on top of me I would have rerolled it for the reasons you give, but because he was far away and slow (and only 2 str) I felt I was pretty safe.

If they can't pressure me then I just get to make the pick up attempt on turn 8, which in a way is like a free reroll, and then if I fail on turn 8 I can just use the reroll on that turn.

I can, at most, make 3 attempts at picking up the ball. One on turn 7, one on turn 8, and one with the reroll. Whether you use the reroll on turn 7 or 8 is meaningless in terms of your liklihood to succeed, so the decision is more about the state of the game board. Generally speaking you use rerolls earlier if you are under heavy pressure and save them for later if you aren't.

In this particular case I don't think it was necessarily better for me to have saved it, just in case the 'flings got lucky, but neither is it particularly a mistake since I could just use it next turn as well. Because it was turn 7 playing the 'maybe I can use it better later' game was probably pointless at best and a mistake at worst, but if it was turn 6 instead waiting would've been obviously correct.

Just to augment for the original questioner, there's other gamestate considerations to this beyond pressure on the ball. For example, with several KO'ed players it would be worth taking the Turn 7 reroll to give yourself an extra roll to recover them (one post-TD and a second after the half). After scoring, there's no real need for the reroll and your Turn 8, and so no real cost.

The way in which saving might have been questionable depends upon the degree to which you're not focused on scoring. Saving for turn 8 pickup and then saying to yourself "I should make some safe blocks first" is a good way to end up using the reroll on a block and then not scoring and losing the SPP from the TD in the name of getting extra from causing injuries. Flings can often bait people into throwing blocks late in the half as their players are usually expendable.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Classic stunty bullshit game, and that treeman moment was priceless.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like I should buy this. And make a Dwarf team, the NO FUN ALLOWED cru. :getin:

And at least Chaos is in the base game.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Manuel Calavera posted:

I feel like I should buy this. And make a Dwarf team, the NO FUN ALLOWED cru. :getin:

And at least Chaos is in the base game.

:justpost: but pretend post is buy

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I JUST MIGHT DARN IT. But I have so many games that I haven't even started. (also I had a small compulsion to buy lovely bundles at a buck or two each to get me up to 1000 games on Steam.)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
What teams are in Blood Bowl 2?

Is the bizzare one with the Skaven and Goblins who shank their teammates on 1s in?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Everyteam except Khorne is in, There are also 'mixed' teams which are their own thing. The Weird team with Fantasy Racism is Underworld and yeah they're here too.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Oh man, now I kinda want to pick it up and play Khemri so I can experience the joy of mummy-ball again.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Tomb Guardian ball :colbert:

Mummies are for weak undead teams afraid of the true khemri experience.

Also :justpost: and get in the discord.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Well poo poo. Picked it up during the sale and it runs like complete rear end, even on the lowest graphic settings. Ah well.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Bloodbowl is a good game for cool people who enjoy getting hosed over by dice repeatedly.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What's weird is that BB is a game with extremely high randomness that actually parlays the randomness into actual strategy and meaningful decisions, since you're trying to limit your interaction with the vengeful god that is the dice/Nuffle as much as possible and prioritizing your actions.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

What's weird is that BB is a game with extremely high randomness that actually parlays the randomness into actual strategy and meaningful decisions, since you're trying to limit your interaction with the vengeful god that is the dice/Nuffle as much as possible and prioritizing your actions.

Sounds a lot like X-COM when you put it that way.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
It feels more unforgiving than XCOM since there's no actions with a 100% chance of success. Well, you get a 100% on breaking armor with a foul if enough guys help, but even then you can get red carded.

Both games are awesome of course.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 14, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I like to compare them a lot because at the heart of it they're both gambling games. They just happen to gamble with something far more fun than boring old money: the lives of imaginary pixelmen that I dressed up and gave names and fondly remember stories about

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Cythereal posted:

It's X-COM if the aliens got a turn every time you missed a shot.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Donnerberg posted:

It feels more unforgiving than XCOM since there's no actions with a 100% chance of success. Well, you get a 100% on breaking armor with a foul if enough guys help, but even then you can get red carded.

Both games are awesome of course.

On the flip side of this, there are no actions with a 100% chance of failure either. Roll enough 6s and the world is your oyster, as proven by Ramtut III: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF970PbAmpc&t=1212s

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

uPen posted:

Bloodbowl is a good game for cool people who enjoy getting hosed over by dice repeatedly.

Hey thats me

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Agent355 this is your one and only warning: If we don't get at least 1 wrasslin Saurus we're gonna mutiny.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

uPen posted:

Agent355 this is your one and only warning: If we don't get at least 1 wrasslin Saurus we're gonna mutiny.

Frenzy wrassle saur

EvilUrchin
Jun 13, 2007

Sigmar's Fist: 5 Star Crash Rating
Well looks like its time to finally end my self-imposed Blood Bowl exile once I get back from my trip this weekend. Its been a while since I got properly salty at a video game after all.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

WELCOME BACK TO THE FOLD.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Cythereal posted:

It absolutely scratches some of the same itches as X-COM.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Game 3

Playing against Gaghskull's Chaos Pact team. Chaos pact is a team on fumbbl and I think it's a real bloodbowl team, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Gaghskull has used BB2's mixed team feature to create an approximation of it inside BB2 and his minotaur is the world's best big guy.

Spoilers for the end of the game:

I'll take a tie, I think I might've been able to win if X, Y, Z but overall I think the game was alot of fun. We do have a level 3 saurus to vote for, but that's kind of a blessing and a curse. I'd really rather have 4 level 2 saurus than 1 level 3, but so it goes. You guys are free to vote for whatever, I'm not going to restrict it in any way or really suggest any particular skills. I'll leave that to the thread. I will explain a bit about serious tryhard lizardman teambuilding just for the curious though, but this isn't me suggesting poo poo.

Normally with your 6 saurus you will have one or two of them be blitzers. You only have one blitz action a turn so having ALL of them be blitzers is kind of a waste, but you want your blitzer to have skills that make them really good at knocking down players, or possibly killing them. You'll use blitzers to try and take down ball carriers so you're going to want it to be as reliable as possible, generally.

You'll also make some of your saurus zone protectors, they might form parts of your cage or be used to add strength to parts of the map. Maybe they're particularly good at marking targets. Sometimes they might be killers as well but more generalized ones since they aren't expected to be blitzing. I think normally I have 2 blitzers and 4 zone protectors when I play lizards.

Krox and skink leveling theory we can talk about later, when it's relevant. Vote closes sunday night/monday morning. Make your opinions known.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agent355 posted:

Tomb Guardian ball :colbert:

Mummies are for weak undead teams afraid of the true khemri experience.

Also :justpost: and get in the discord.

Is it in the OP? Or a games thread?

I bought it for 15 over on Humble. Where it'd currently half off for about 6 more days. Do I make Dwarf or Chaos though...
Also I won't be able to play til probably Monday at the earliest. Or next weekend.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

In the OP with a bunch of cool dudes who rage at dice.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Manuel Calavera posted:

Is it in the OP? Or a games thread?

I bought it for 15 over on Humble. Where it'd currently half off for about 6 more days. Do I make Dwarf or Chaos though...
Also I won't be able to play til probably Monday at the earliest. Or next weekend.

I'll post it again for the people to lazy to check the OP anyhow. https://discord.gg/uwhEFN

We got 35 people or something hanging out now, so it's always popping with bloodbowl chat and finding a game vs goons isn't terribly hard most of the time.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Frenzy

Best blitzer skill.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Frenzy

I flipped a coin between that and Tackle, and it came up Frenzy. Frenzy makes people think about being too close to the sidelines.

Glad to see another Bloodbowl LP, especially using my favorite team. Keep up the good work.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
That was a real fun match! You might even say, it worked me up into a FRENZY.

For the non Blood Bowl people following this, Dark Elves can take two assassins, but they're rarely seen on tryhard teams. They're pricey and don't bring a lot to the table with their low armor, movement 6, shadowing and stab. They might as well be the Dark Elves big guys since they're the unreliable fun-haver pick.

Hemlock is sick with his jump up, sidestep, blodge, but there's another cool, stab combo. There's a strength skill called multiblock. It lets you block two players at once at a huge strength handicap. It's only viable on strength 6 players. However, assassins can take the skill on doubles, and it does exactly what you think. Twice the stabbing with no penalty.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I'd say KING OF SKILLS but that doesn't work with block on him. So I'll be a funhaver and say we give him Jump Up so we can use his movement to get into a cage, get punched down, but still get up and punch ball carriers

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Cpact's a real team, or at least was before BB2016 came around (where now there are 6 real teams and the rest allowed in on sufferance). They were added in the 2008 New Teams supplement along with Slann and Underworld which has the official stamp of the Blood Bowl Rules Committee, but GW wouldn't make it offically official til they had models to sell for it, which never happened as BB had been abandoned already. Some time in-between a lore nerd got a bee in his bonnet about Slann being skinny frogs rather than fat toads, which is why they're now Circusmen.
e; oh, we're voting? sure, Frenzy, why not.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 16, 2017

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agent355 posted:

I'll post it again for the people to lazy to check the OP anyhow. https://discord.gg/uwhEFN

We got 35 people or something hanging out now, so it's always popping with bloodbowl chat and finding a game vs goons isn't terribly hard most of the time.

But do I make Dwarf or Chaos... I do like Chaos. But Dwarf. The no fun cru. Hmm.

E - Jump Up Make that Break Tackle

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 16, 2017

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Jump up is a double on saurii and thus not an option on this particular skill up. I say this as someone with a big gay boner for jump up.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I would like to be Frenzy with benefits.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Blackmage Yapo posted:

Jump up is a double on saurii and thus not an option on this particular skill up. I say this as someone with a big gay boner for jump up.

I want to believe

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Slaan posted:

I'd say KING OF SKILLS but that doesn't work with block on him. So I'll be a funhaver and say we give him Jump Up so we can use his movement to get into a cage, get punched down, but still get up and punch ball carriers

JU is Agi unless Cyanide broke it.

Frenzy is a good skill that won't ever get you into trouble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Frenzy

Gonna be picking up BB2 LE next week sometime. :orks: Stupid BB discord informing me its good and has reskinned Leapin' Lizards. :orks:

• Locked thread