Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Tumble posted:

yea, but she was very nice and pretty cute so that evened out the airhead moments

I sounded like a massive bitch then, and it was unintentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

CopperHound posted:

Oh. It's Greebles. I get it now. Just going for functional form was too boring, so they need to add fake function.

Yeah, although a little less justifiable IRL since you know, they really are dealing with human sized tubes and squares instead of tiny styrene bits you need to glue on with tweezers.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My city barely has anything over 100 years old but developers tried to attach this monstrosity to the 1914-built waterfront station transit hub.

Thankfully it was rejected.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Chief McHeath posted:

Because architecture students are pretentious edgelords who think all their really bad ideas are instead really good and no one else gets it hth

i drink with an architect sometimes and that's basically it though she acknowledges a lot of it is bullshit and pretentious

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Gazpacho posted:

Seattle has a brutalist public park (built 1976) which thankfully I managed never to set foot in

yeah buddy when the alienation of urban life gets to you, you can always come here to get away

as you can see it has aged the way one would expect in the Seattle climate

Vancouver's brutalist park comes with a sweet underground skating rink. Look how inviting those dark corners are. And it's too small so its main use is for security guards to get in conflicts with bored skateboarders.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Steps to being a successful architect:

1. Design the most grotesque monstrosity you can imagine
2. Interpret said monstrosity within the context of some modern arts movement. Doesn't matter which one. Make minor adjustments if necessary. (Probably won't be necessary, you can talk your way through this one)
3. Subcontract the blueprints to an architect. Anyone that can do blueprints. Someone that just designed a bus garage or something.
4. Collect money

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mental Hospitality posted:

Now this is a loving building. :black101:

Isn't that where the Men In Black operate out of?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Smdh if you wouldn't want to live in Habitat 67.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Paper Diamonds posted:

People are posting buildings they dont like to look at, not at buildings that are causing day-to-day issues with their lives. Aesthetically unappealing to your taste does not mean a negative impact on quality-of-life.

I'm not saying every piece of architecture here is something that I would consider "good". I have my own opinions about many of the buildings in this thread. However I'm trying point out that nobody posted images like these:

But instead have mostly been posting unique and interesting buildings. There are plenty of warehouses for humans out there and they are so boring that nobody is even posting them in this thread.

what the gently caress are you talking about. if one of the buildings on the first few pages sprung up outside my window i would move

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mordja posted:

Smdh if you wouldn't want to live in Habitat 67.

Hey, this was an alternate skin for a SimCity 2000 arcology

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
nice looking things are a waste of resources and are only achievable through brute misunderstanding of capitalism and/or owning slaves. sorry, theyll never happen again until we get slaves again

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
we cant have unnecessary or impractical things. its not like we live in a hilariously wasteful capitalist society

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
We have to purge our art and design schools of everyone that is sexually aroused by clumps of sharp scrap metal. Or maybe have some sort of test, if their submissions are all glass and steel angular boxes they get thrown into an incinerator (the designer not their work).

More and more i feel our society will collapse if aren't willing to murder people for being hopelessly deluded and stupid, or obnoxiously contrarian. Currently most architects fit those criteria.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
postmoowodernism

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Postmodernwarfare2ism

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Have we talked about 432 Park Avenue yet?

As plain as it looks, it's actually an engineering work of marvel considering its one of the slenderest towers in the world.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
an ex lived directly across from this while it was being constructed- apparently everyone in the neighborhood thought it was hideous

when i lived in Arlington i saw all kinds of cool buildings like this

turn into poo poo like this

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
My appreciation for raw concrete increased a lot after I stayed in a bloc tower hotel in Honolulu. Those walls made everything dead silent.

I dig shotgun houses:

Not a fan of snout houses, though:

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Not a fan of snout houses, though:

this looks like the kind of place you buy if your favorite color is beige

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Gazpacho posted:

Suburbs were OK when you could pick a pattern out of a catalog before it was built, they became v bad when developers just went and dropped the same pattern on every lot

Yeah. My parents bought a tract house in ~1968 when I was a baby and there were like six or seven completely different home designs to choose from, so the mind-numbing conformity wasn't so bad, especially after people landscaped to their taste and painted all different colors.

Nowadays, there's 'giant ugly brown stucco box' and 'slightly smaller brown stucco box so everybody knows you're poor' to choose from, plus the advent of HOA's means there's little permissible personalization.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

funkybottoms posted:

Awwww, that breaks my heart :(

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

funkybottoms posted:

an ex lived directly across from this while it was being constructed- apparently everyone in the neighborhood thought it was hideous

to be honest the last one looks way better than the first, at least in its owm aesthetic

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Stexils posted:

this looks like the kind of place you buy if your favorite color is beige
Fun Fact: Beige, not black, is actually the color of existential dread.

http://mcmansionhell.com/post/164574515471/50-states-of-mcmansion-hell-clark-county-nevada

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CopperHound posted:

I made a trip out to New York this last year. No I didn't go see Ground Zero... Or the Empire State building... Or even the statue of liberty, but I did go out of my way to go see the Long Lines building. Sure, the style broadcasts that people are not welcome there, but that works for a building full of equipment.

congrats on being the most boring person in existence

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

funkybottoms posted:

this is better preservation than most developers would do. auto dealership buildings have very limited usefulness as anything else

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

your friend a dog posted:

to be honest the last one looks way better than the first, at least in its owm aesthetic

Gazpacho posted:

this is better preservation than most developers would do. auto dealership buildings have very limited usefulness as anything else

Ballston and Clarendon were really interesting neighborhoods until they started doing this bullshit

see also: Columbia Pike near Walter Reed

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Here's a triple whammy for ya:

The original Hotel Vancouver, built in 1911, was demolished:

...to turn it into this in 1973:

Then was reclad into this recently:

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

funkybottoms posted:

Ballston and Clarendon were really interesting neighborhoods until they started doing this bullshit

see also: Columbia Pike near Walter Reed

yeah i really love the lovely lookin car dealer ship that looks like it came from a 10 cent archie comic

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I sounded like a massive bitch then, and it was unintentional.

it's cool i thought it was funny

Gazpacho posted:

yea the only thing a brand-name dealership can turn into is a used car lot

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

your friend a dog posted:

yeah i really love the lovely lookin car dealer ship that looks like it came from a 10 cent archie comic
it's called googie you pleb and it owns

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

solar energy panel posted:

These two immediately came to mind.

These things look cool. What are they?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
First one is a nazi bunker and the second is the seed vault

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i'd also point out that unlike so much "neotraditional" postmodern architecture that amounts to vomiting mediterranean, or imperial, or classical, etc. structural elements into a design, without regard either for those elements' function or the locale's history, that building actually does integrate elements of the locale's history into something new and at the same time functional

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Gazpacho posted:

Seattle has a brutalist public park (built 1976) which thankfully I managed never to set foot in

yeah buddy when the alienation of urban life gets to you, you can always come here to get away

as you can see it has aged the way one would expect in the Seattle climate

Just looking at that thing has given me a respiratory infection.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCDavz2lz8k&t=782s

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
The Seattle park you guys are talking about is known as "Freeway Park." It's actually pretty cool (and usually cleaner than that first picture) and has become a bit of a parkour destination when it is dry. The downside is that there are so many places to hide behind the columns that it is often overrun with crackheads.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Lifespan posted:

The Seattle park you guys are talking about is known as "Freeway Park." It's actually pretty cool (and usually cleaner than that first picture) and has become a bit of a parkour destination when it is dry. The downside is that there are so many places to hide behind the columns that it is often overrun with crackheads.

I honestly can't decide if I'd rather deal with crackheads or parkour enthusiasts.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
That Seattle park rules and I hope that they film the acid scene from the eventual remake of Easy Rider there.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Tricky D posted:

the eventual remake of Easy Rider

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Blues Point tower occupies one of the most scenic spots on Sydney Harbour
I think it's actually heritage listed, but most people think it's fugly