Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

bjcgksl;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i never get probated because im extremely funny, and also handsome

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

lofi posted:

The Finer Arts > The Book Barn > Bonfire of the Critic: Genre Looks at Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

porfiria posted:

BOTL's big problem was that he wasn't very funny so all his shitposting just came off as weirdly aggressive and misanthropic.

that's Finns for you

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sham bam bamina! posted:

People are already posting about it in the general mod feedback thread.

#wwg1wga

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Botl brought nothing interesting to the book discussions and was in general boring. He didn’t bring any interesting insights but mostly disparaging insults.

As for saying his critics are thin skinned, he managed to get a mild mannered mod like HA to probe him on sight.

Making a thread about Rothuss and dissecting his work is one of those “why the gently caress do you do that”. Most people in TBB who read his work have dismissed it as thrash.

I would say fantasy in general are aware of the issues in the field, but Botl never seemed to grasp the fact that it is perfectly ok to read a book just as a way to pass the time.

Finally, if one thinks Mervyn Peake and Ghormengast is the height of literature, I don’t know what to say.
Good riddance.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Squashing Machine posted:

BOTL was half the reason TBB isn't a terribly fun place to post. What's worse for the forums, a bunch of nerds talking about legitimately enjoying their Star Wars novelizations or a small gang of Oberlin TAs going on about how DeLillo isn't sufficiently anti-capitalist for serious consideration and making GBS threads on everyone else

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Cardiac posted:

Botl brought nothing interesting to the book discussions and was in general boring. He didn’t bring any interesting insights but mostly disparaging insults.

As for saying his critics are thin skinned, he managed to get a mild mannered mod like HA to probe him on sight.

Making a thread about Rothuss and dissecting his work is one of those “why the gently caress do you do that”. Most people in TBB who read his work have dismissed it as thrash.

I would say fantasy in general are aware of the issues in the field, but Botl never seemed to grasp the fact that it is perfectly ok to read a book just as a way to pass the time.

Finally, if one thinks Mervyn Peake and Ghormengast is the height of literature, I don’t know what to say.
Good riddance.

Get out of the only cool thread in this forum, thanks.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Cardiac that's a really bad post and its gonna take me awhile to completely map out why but until then you should feel bad about yourself and maybe find jesus

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Cardiac posted:

Most people in TBB who read his work have dismissed it as thrash.

why would you come into this thread and lie so blatantly hahaha

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

honestly botl was asking for, even demanding a perma, but i admire his chutzpah even more than his intellect and feel obligated to make a scene

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Good riddance.

what do you think is the height of literature?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Of all the loving :iceburn:s to try and hit BotL with, "likes acclaimed fantasy series Gormenghast" as a burn is the most inexplicable.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

to me, it seems like you'd have to be a pretty hosed up style of bootlicker to celebrate a guy being banned from a web site when you're not even a moderator or anything

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
hieronymous is asleep and is going to come back to find things in A Bit of a State

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

A human heart posted:

to me, it seems like you'd have to be a pretty hosed up style of bootlicker to celebrate a guy being banned from a web site when you're not even a moderator or anything

you need to understand they Extremely Don't Care about things, actually

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
im hooting and hollering, throwing things around, upsetting the neighbors dog

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

please don't hurt the dog

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Cardiac posted:

Good riddance.

gently caress you you dumb gently caress did you even read the thread you’re posting in

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Cardiac posted:

Saying that he started the Rothfuss thread is wrong, and saying that most TBB posters had already dismissed Rothfuss is more wrong (the thread was 82 pages long before Bottle even showed up), but the pearl-clutching incredulity at a mock thread's existence on Something Awful has to be the stupidest thing I've seen all week.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

all innovators are eventually dismissed as hacks by those who only know the world after they changed it

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

Cardiac posted:

Good riddance.

what do you post about more, botl or warhammer

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Rothfuss is not thrash, he's clearly melodic sludge

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

lol @ the constant he was stifling discussion in TBB/CD like yeah so many people were afraid to post because of botl's nefarious influence

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

I Before E posted:

Rothfuss is not thrash, he's clearly melodic sludge
Unsigned tech death full of mindless zillion-note runs as deep and wide as autumn's ending.

edit: the notes all say "sad"

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 14, 2019

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Carefully dissection of and why Rothfuss is a bad writer : good posts

Posting a flurry of "thing bad" in random threads, deliberately misunderstanding peoples posts in order to start arguments, resorting to insults whenever someone argues back: bad posts

His breakdowns just got repetitive and he morphed into a lazy gimmick poster. Critical analysis of genre books is cool and good, but that's not what he's been doing for a year or more.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Counterpoint: his condemnation of an increasingly repetitive genre was increasingly repetitive

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Saying that he started the Rothfuss thread is wrong, and saying that most TBB posters had already dismissed Rothfuss is more wrong (the thread was 82 pages long before Bottle even showed up), but the pearl-clutching incredulity at a mock thread's existence on Something Awful has to be the stupidest thing I've seen all week.

Yeah I definitely remember that plenty of people posting there prior to the second book coming out were really positive on Rothfuss, and also that BotL was hardly the first to be really negative about it.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

A human heart posted:

can i celebrate because i think banning is funny conceptually

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

can i celebrate because i think banning is funny conceptually

i think you're in the clear here pal

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

A human heart posted:

to me, it seems like you'd have to be a pretty hosed up style of bootlicker to celebrate a guy being arrested and ending his murder spree when you're not even a cop or anything

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
And who amongst us is not an tedious poo poo poster most of the time?

Arrogance is in the eye of the beholder; even as a lurker who rarely posts I've accidentally caused meltdowns or gotten weeeird PMs for things I intended as merely cheeky or jocular. I can easily imagine giving into the temptation to just lean into the crazy responses one can get around here.

Xalidur posted:

I have never posted in this forum, only lurked. But I will post now a single post with the mantle of the Silent Majority to say that BotL was the best content on this site, and he shall be missed.

Yah I feel bad I read this thread for so long without contributing, although I doubt I would be any good at literary criticism.

And honestly, if it was just a normal ban or long probation I could agree with posters/mods that, like with other "controversial" "snobs" like SMG or hbomb or whoever, that most of the flack/discipline is totally deserved . .

But a permanent ban?? as silly as it is to get irl upset over internet forum poo poo, I'm fuckin pissed

This aggression, this aggression will not stand, man

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

ahahahhahahahahahaha

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

I mean obviously it will, and yes I get that this is how haters feel when Botl posted, but I dunno

I'm just trying to work thru my disappointment that I never got to say "hey lamps review some loving Michael Moorcock ya bish" :(

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

lol

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

All those penis puns, lost, like goons . . . in social situations

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
People defend OJ Simpson, 21st century white people edition.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Blood Boils posted:

And who amongst us is not an tedious poo poo poster most of the time?

Arrogance is in the eye of the beholder; even as a lurker who rarely posts I've accidentally caused meltdowns or gotten weeeird PMs for things I intended as merely cheeky or jocular. I can easily imagine giving into the temptation to just lean into the crazy responses one can get around here.

I hear you on that. The weirdest things can happen over the internet over the most inconsequential poo poo. I've personally had several instances of finding out that a few people have held one-sided grudges against me for years over posts that I simply can't imagine anyone taking offense at, so I can easily imagine how someone who actively goes about things in an aggressive way could attract a horde of such people. I bet that leads to a lot of buck wild PMs.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Drone Jett posted:

People defend OJ Simpson, 21st century white people edition.

If the argument you're making is he deserves a fair trial then, hell, I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

loving yikes