Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Oh cool, insanely boring reviews of books that no sane person would possibly care about this is exactly what I was looking for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Oh no not projecting motives onto the author

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

BWUH??? WUHHHHHHH??????????

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

well to be fair ideally in criticism the author shouldn't even be considered

I'm charitable enough to think you know why this is stupid but just in case you don't or someone else doesn't: the author (real human past or present you can point to/look at the grave of) maybe shouldn't be considered when doing crit. The Author on the other hand (i.e. the presumption that this piece of writing was constructed by a human and isn't just incredibly fortuitous collections of ink) absolutely should have motives ascribed to them cos otherwise lit crit is just a list of things that happen in the book with no attempt to create any kind of theory of what was meant. That's even if the little a author should be disregarded which isn't exactly uncontroversial

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Why is a capital A Author needed for meaning? Text creates meaning.

Are you or are you not aware of the process we call "writing"

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yes, but literary criticism is about the process we call "reading"

Do we assume Beowulf has no meaning because we have no "Author" who created it

Are you loving dense

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Of course magic realism is fnatasy its got magic in the name

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Magic realism is just fantasy that suffers from an underdeveloped magic system.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I know the meanings of words pretty well and magical realism is when there is magic in the real, for example in The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Rime posted:

The Bible was a plagiarized fanfiction of much older Mesopotamian religions, with some genealogical rolls thrown into the middle to pad things out.

Oh, word?

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Neurosis posted:

King James version has style but loses points on originality.

Oh, word?

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Neurosis posted:

stop the presses, this conversation is in language inappropriately plain and comprehensible. summon the serpents of confusion and sesquipedalian tergiversation into this Eden of meaningful communication!

Derrida's going to be pretty red faced if he reads this brutal takedown

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

However, that doesn't mean you are speaking honestly to the human experience if your novel is full of hot sex with beautiful women who orgasm constantly.

Speak for yourself

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Calling dark age people living in Brittany 'french' is a pretty wild statement

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Clipperton posted:

meanwhile, the lit fic thread still can't go two pages without bringing up science fiction again

secretly reading the lit fic thread just in case they mention sci fi

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Well Lem didn't actually use that term, given that he wrote in Polish and that's more an artifact of your reading an edition that was translated from Polish into French then into English which caused a term with way more baggage to be used than is used in Polish. Here's some Polish people talking about it

https://literature.stackexchange.com/questions/2703/understanding-the-use-of-the-word-negress-in-the-kilmartin-and-cox-translation

If you read the way better more modern translation directly from Polish -> English she's just called "a huge black woman"

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

A human heart posted:

The man who writes comic books and worships a snake god he made up as a joke is good actually

It's true.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The prose is the content

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

quote:

The Smell of Telescopes

by

Rhys Hughes

If Hieronymus Bosch had, after imbibing ten pints of lager and a dodgy vindaloo,

pass

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

COngrats on your stupid purchase

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The claw of the conciliator

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I will critically review any sci fi, fantasy, or alternate genre book for the purposes of this thread.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Ccs posted:

China Mieville's Perdido Street Station

Ill see what i can do

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

porfiria posted:

it's supposed to be like medieval religious person comparing everything to Jesus stuff

- someone who has definitely read a lot of medieval religious people's writings

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Thomas Aquinas was famous for his catch phrase "just like Jesus"

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Gene Wolfe isnt a bad writer just a bad translator is a powerful opinion

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Gene Wolfe used scintillate and coruscate because he was translating an alien text which also contained two synoyms that sound bad and dull and he wanted to make sure we got the full experience

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am curious where you would claim the prose has merit

Its extremely faithful to the original

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Ccs posted:

China Mieville's Perdido Street Station

Whipped up some initial impressions:

The first thing that strikes the reader upon encountering Perdido Street Station, is, of course, the name. A passing familiarity with Romance languages offers up the French "perdre", Spanish "perder" or Italian "perdere" - all meaning "to lose" as an immediate gloss. In fact, "perdido" itself is both Spanish and Portuguese - the adjectival form - "lost". What then, is lost? We assume perhaps the narrator - all narrators are lost, writing labyrinths they do not themselves understand. Or perhaps, more interestingly, the streets are perdido - our writer walking down paths they no longer fully possess in their memory - faces displaced, stalls with vibrant awnings and uncertain goods, roads that exist now only as smells. Held once in a thousand perceptions now shifting falling grains of sand - perdido.
But now, the eye is caught by words read once and never lost - graffiti found on the walls of the basilica in Pompeii - "hope returns to the lover what it has once snatched away" and now we notice more that is not unremembered - a dog preserved perfectly in ash, walls trumpeted down or moved through by Nobody, a stately pleasure dome decreed. We see these as we never have, we did not lose such wonders. Perdido, we trace it back to the language of that graffiti and find perditus - a Latin word that over time became "lost" from an original meaning of "destroyed". We move from a lost narrator to lost streets to destroyed streets to a destroyed narrator - annihilated, the self lost in a culture that recalls the great cities of the past to all who have ears to hear, while in an unnamed, neighbourless cafe the sound of laughter cooing inches from my ear is just this, impressions. The visceral is lost. Perditus also once meant wasted.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm tempted to guess that it's a quote by China Mieville writing about his own work under a pseudonym

Finally the reason my name is Cest Moi has been revealed

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

A human heart posted:

someone should shoot the troskyite sci fi man with a bazooka

Please do not harm me, a human heart.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

20 month old checking in, would appreciate if someone would lift the spoon up to my mouth and make aeroplane noises while feeding me tia

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That sort of questioning is the best thing about Wolfe. Just like jazz is the notes you don't play, the best things about Wolfe are often the other, unwritten books that the book you've just read implies.

Imagine the idiocy of the posts you don't make

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

When Marshall McLuhan talked about the "medium" of writing, he meant, like, printed letters running right to left on a series of pages, reproduced exactly over many copies, not the loving prose and syntax. Everyone here is full of poo poo.

form + content are identical anyway even if it's not what some canadian idiot said

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

the (((seven day week)))

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

i would argue anything can be a dragon because there are no dragons

lmao

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

the poetic beauty of a strawman invented by realist philosophers actually manifesting in the world

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

why is one ok and the other one not

it is fantasy

it is fantastical

why hold yourself to physics or causality

go loving nuts

why do you want a bunch of terrible writers to start writing nouveau romans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The problem with that is that its very eurocentric. As I said before, a Long isn't really a dragon. We just looked at these weird chinese snake turtles and were like "gently caress it, that's also a dragon"

Dragons aren't culturally ubiquitous, its just that Western Europe found stuff closest to their mythological definition of a dragon and said "gently caress it, this is a dragon too now"

a Long