Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

I think you mean literature is overwhelmingly bad. Pretty much the written word, in general, is the easiest "art form," to abuse as almost any literate person who doesn't have ADD can write a novel.

The classic 'everything is bad so it's ok that my spaceship books are too' argument, great stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

That's about 50% of all literary criticism, though. Someone dislikes <thing>, and will tell you about it in a couple thousand words, but is highly resistant to explaining why <thing> is actually objectively bad other than projecting motives onto the author.

This is incoherent nonsense

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

uberkeyzer posted:

Sorry that you can't ignore real problems in society like you used to be able to. How does it feel being like everyone else?

Guess what, cultural criticism has always come from a political perspective, it's just that the perspective is no longer "we don't want to talk about this stuff."

that's a pretty uncharitable reading of that quote

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Iain M No Thanks

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

those drat literary authors can't fool me with their attempts to sound smart!!!!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

drat this post owns

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ccs posted:

Most peasant revolts and revolutions in history weren't actually started by the peasants though, they're led into action by radical clerics or former officers who are down on their luck after a war.

That's a big generalisation but also seems to ignore the class dynamics at play, as though the peasants making up the revolt are just puppets of their leaders or whatever

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Both. Novels involve types, picking from a modest and comprehensible array of human motivations. The artistry comes from how they are deployed and subverted.

bit of a reductive view of the novel innit, are you from 1901 or something?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

rear end frog posted:

since making that first post i've read through the intervening four pages and let me tell you: there is not a man posting in this forum that deserves the breath of life

You have my sword, rear end frog.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Neurosis posted:

while that post may be derisive of my rather well-worn complaint (and plagiarised metaphor), it has made me wish there were a world where the most influential philosophers from througohut history shitposted snarkily at each other over an internet forum.

Personally it's made me wish for a world where you don't have access to an internet forum

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Frankly it's badass when authors who look like the cryptkeeper but with less hair write books about loving nubile women all day long

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

firstly, what the hell are you talking about? what sexless english myths? secondly, much if not most popular medieval literature is absolutely charged with sex and eroticism. christ himself is an erotic figure in some of it. 'sexual shame' is no bar at all to the mass sharing of literature with nakedly erotic themes and elements.

it sounds like he thinks english culture was repressed victorians for like 800 years and that therefore all english myths are sexless? not a very clear post to be sure

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Finally, a thread where posters can really let loose and seriously discuss videogames on this forum

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

But, for example, Star Wars doesn't and never has had an authorial vision to speak of, even if you believe an authorial vision matters.

George Lucas is an auteur actually

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CountFosco out of freaking nowhere!!!!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Terry Badkind.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

you made up the book called 'the chocolate war' right. these posts are all a piss take, right?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

rvm posted:

To be fair, a lot of literary fiction these days suck so hard. It's pretentious whiny crap that will be forgotten in less then a generation.

that's because the concept of 'literary fiction' has been coopted by the publishing industry into a genre where middle class people talk about their middle class problems in boring prose.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

It's a shame that there's no other books about New England catholicism so you have to read a children's novel called 'The Chocolate War' if you want to learn about that stuff

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CountFosco posted:

You don't have to read TCW to get a taste of New England catholicism, but it does help. Sort of like how watching a Harold Lloyd film helps give you a sense of the flavor of life in NYC in the twenties. Actually, in a very literal sense you don't have to read anything. In fact, I'd recommend you stop reading entirely, given that you seem to be consumed by an anxiety that you might read something that would spoil the image you have in your head of yourself as a very mature adult, the sort of adult that has progressed far past finding dickbutt amusing.

There's really a lot going on in this post

A human heart fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 7, 2018

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

rip to the gbs sci fi man

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The man who writes comic books and worships a snake god he made up as a joke is good actually

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Oh by the way, if anyone wanted to know what Lud-in-the-Mist was like if it was truly great rather than merely good, you should read Man Without Qualities.

Lampsman have you ever read The Worm Ouroboros, it's actually pretty cool for a fantasy book because it was written in 1920 by a british public servant who was a scholar of old Norse in his spare time.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I think he might have heard of the greeks as well maybe..

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ccs posted:

Yeah a favorite bit of mine was how it can be read like a fantasy book but the sci-fi aspects aren't really hidden. They're there from the beginning, it's just that Severian doesn't have the context to describe them in ways that would make us clearly see them as sci-fi.

And that's all secondary to the labyrinthine allusions and cosmology that Severian sometimes grasps but mostly just relates without ever understanding his role in the story. You're left wondering whether the book is religious in nature or if the religious epiphanies that the protagonist has are due to his interaction with natural forces far beyond his understanding.

A reason why I think it's be interesting to hear BotL try to criticize it is because of the wealth of academic criticism (compared to most sci-fi/fantasy books) that exist for BotNS:

https://www.amazon.ca/Between-Light-Shadow-Exploration-Fiction-ebook/dp/B011YTDGY2

https://www.amazon.com/Attending-Daedalus-Artifice-Liverpool-University/dp/B005Q7GMRW

https://www.amazon.ca/Solar-Labyrinth-Exploring-Gene-Wolfes/dp/0595317294

If BotL can read Book of the New Sun and come up with a compelling reason as to why all of these critics are wasting their time trying to analyze a bad piece of literature, that would be interesting to read. It would mean he's a really smart critic. And if he actually enjoys the books, great! It means Gene Wolfe really is that good.

Critics analyse bad books all the time, do you not know what criticism is for?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Smart brained fantasy writer puts big titty undines in his books and they don't get hosed? Sad!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

this guy who seems incapable of not writing in the sincere gbs voice is surely a good writer

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

porfiria posted:

The argument reduces to "I don't think there should be websites about science fiction," which, uh, grats? Who cares?

There shouldn't be websites about anything

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

*very duke nukem voice*

let's rock

oh well if its got a neil gaiman endorsement its got to be good

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

never even heard of him

Riddley Walker isn't an author, it's a book by Russel Hoban written in an imagined dialect.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Hey, remember all those medieval theologians? All they did was look for jesus in things, just like how people find jesus in their toast sometimes today. That's the only thing that happened in the middle ages

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Neurosis posted:

For Severian specifically I find the sound and cadence enjoyable on a visceral level. For me, the baroque prose reinforces the sense of the alien which is also shown by the often bizarre spectacles and imagery of the far future, and the perversity and inhumanity of the Gormenghast-like Citadel and Commonwealth, the traditions of which have become ossified under the weight of time. On another level, I also enjoy the irony that another poster here has pointed out that the purple prose is often describing events that are rather mundane, or which Severian has completely misunderstood (for an example of something later on, he runs across a beach full of objects which are replicas of something he has carried for a long time which he thought of as a holy relic; instead of thinking perhaps there was nothing special in the object itself he has a religious epiphany). It can at times be a little frustrating, since this approach entails a lot of meandering on the part of the narration; often, the desultory pontifications of Severian are proximate enough to something actually true that there is more meaning to them than at first appears, but on a first reading it's going to seem rather obtuse and frustrating. Which isn't to say someone's wrong for criticising it on a first pass, I'm not implying you need to have bought into the holy mysteries of Wolfe before you can properly criticise him. After all, Wolfe himself said he thought good fiction should be enjoyable on the first read, and then increasingly enjoyable on later readings, and if such writing isn't enjoyable on a first pass then he's failed by his own standard.

It's a bit insulting to call this stuff baroque prose because it doesn't look anything like, for example, the prose of a Thomas Browne or a Robert Burton

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Paper generally refers to a journal article rather than just a guy on a web site.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

To be honest old timey pulp era hacks are much more appealing than whatever guys who write sci fi nowadays are like

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

someone should shoot the troskyite sci fi man with a bazooka

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

20 month old checking in, would appreciate if someone would lift the spoon up to my mouth and make aeroplane noises while feeding me tia

Oh, baby wants to be fed now? Typical :rolleyes:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ottermotive Insanity posted:

she was a target of the sad puppies movement,
i looked this up because i had no idea what it was and well, it turns out that it's just as stupid as it sounds

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Lyon posted:

literally googled "sad puppies cereal box" and it's the top result, assuming this is what they're talking about anyway, https://bradrtorgersen.wordpress.com/2015/02/04/sad-puppies-3-the-unraveling-of-an-unreliable-field/. stop posting you're useless.

I don't think it was good to actually post a link to this thing, fursonally

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

It's cool that his analogy for reading science fiction is a person who eats the same cereal for years and gets mad when it gets changed, and this is presented as good for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Dorothy Lynch posted:

no way im loving reading this poo poo

no siree bob

Thank you for letting us know.