Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i stick the sword up my rear end and any man who can draw it is the once and future king of the book barn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

book of the poo sun

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

To be fair he didn't know that was his grandmother at that time. He never thought of loving the undines either though he did think they were pretty hot. I don't think they are mermaid-type things though - they really look like giant women.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

petracore is a girl you pack of hollering goons

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

PetraCore posted:

I'm not even arguing the accidental granny-banging thing is not exactly promising. I was just pointing out that accidental mom-banging as a classical tragedy is a thing, so that taking out an absurd detail and going 'haha look at this poo poo' isn't exactly criticism.
this is a good point tbh and i guess i'm being unfair in immediately writing off an sf/f work written by a man due to the presence of questionable sex stuff, even if my opinion is based on having read a hell of a lot of questionable sf/f sex stuff written by a hell of a lot of men in my short and solitary life

honestly my main prejudice is against this forum and the posters thereon, which includes me

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

My author bio is a drunkenly typed rant where i emphasize that I have nothing against a minority, but must nevertheless share some strong opinions that are commonly held but rarely spoken. The number of typos increases steadily, however, and you sigh in relief as the text becomes illegible. You have been spared.
stop trying to goad me into racism

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i feel it bubbling up under my carapace of self-satisfied white liberalism, the bigotry that i fight against every moment of my waking life

t h e f i n n s

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

chernobyl kinsman posted:

extremely hard pass my dude

e:
yikes

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

PetraCore posted:

Quick, look at a picture of an otter.

:unsmith:

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Trying to figure out how one imbibes vindaloo.
drinking just the sauce, no solid ingredients, out of a champagne glass in polite company

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I've long had a policy that any author who has a uniform is not worth reading. Even his website has him wearing his long coat and hat and if a writer is so dedicated to a persona he must dress for the part I feel he almost certainly has nothing to say.
what about the greatest genre author of our time, leonard cohen

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think you mean Nobel Prize in Literature Winner Bob Dylan
they're not the same person and it's anti-semitic to conflate them

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't know what you mean, Hemingway worked hard to buck up ol' fizzy
this is incredible

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Neurosis posted:

You've read less than the first book - actually, it seems like you've only read the first couple of chapters, while memorably proclaiming all 900 pages are badly written. You assert constant failures on weak evidence, citing one scene and cherry-picking a single admittedly overwrought sentence. Indeed, even the criticisms of that scene are a little overstated. Important things do come through there well, such as the lionisation of Vodalus and the impact of Severian's interference, leading to the death of the volunteer. Additionally, your criticism of the apprentice-volunteer interactions and their authority positions is just, well, misconceived. The apprentice speaking is the most senior and on the cusp of being elevated to the role of a man in his guild, while the volunteers are just that, volunteers, having little formal authority and one being a boy himself; contra a later conversation where Severian interacts with two armigers and treats them with the deference and respect you claim should be here, even as the armigers treat him with disgust and disdain when they realise that he is a torturer.

It seems to be as I feared, you are undertaking this task with the mission of showing how bad the writing is (I thought it was especially cute when you said 'oh yeah he wrote badly for 900 pages as art lol' without having read anything other than excerpts people have occasionally posted), a preconceived hypothesis based on your dislike for how people praise Wolfe rather than any experience with or knowledge of Wolfe. Worse, you're substantiating this hypothesis with cherry-picking and glib and superficial statements; BotL might undertake the same bad-faith project but at least he would properly engage with the text.
lol you post like such a wanker

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

frauds

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Sham bam bamina! posted:

There isn't anybody I'd rather read Critical Looks Sci-Fi and Fantasy from than you.
my only sff is the torah

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

sluts

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

poo

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i am also against silver, but only because i identify as a werewolf

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Djeser posted:

The way that these books are written on the page, it feels like Jeff was embarrassed of how much of it was pulp schlock, so to compensate for that, he made the language as oozingly "literary" as possible. It's thick with flourishes and flower language that makes no sense when you actually stop and try to think about them.
that's my jeff :unsmith:

i have a weird emotional attachment to vandermeer because when i was in 9th grade i won a book prize at the end-of-year school awards ceremony. you got to go to the bookshop in town and choose something up to the value of $25 and they put the plaque in it and presented it to you at the ceremony. i chose veniss underground. for a few weeks the books were in the possession of my english teacher, who was a lovely old woman in her late 60s. she flipped through the book and every day until the ceremony she begged me to exchange it for something more appropriate, like some nice jane austen, and i refused. two days before the ceremony i was informed that the box with the books had been left out in the rain, my book had tragically been destroyed and i had to choose another one from the shop. in the end it worked out well for me i ended up getting two books, the english-vietnamese phrasebook i chose second and also veniss underground, which even though it had been completely soaked in water and all the pages stuck together, was legible once i'd carefully dried it in the sun and stayed with me for many years. it was the only book that had been "left in the rain" and ruined. nobody else got a second book.

when i finally got to read the book over the summer holidays i had chicken pox and glandular fever at the same time and was delirious and itching wildly, which is the right state of mind to read vandermeer

avshalemon fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 1, 2019

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

lots of things are like roadside picnic because roadside picnic loving owns

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

drool rockworm

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

there is no way donaldson wrote the covenant books ironically, they're just too overwrought to be anything but sincere. he just made that up when people started saying mean things about him

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Also, per this Washington Post article is to be believed, Lord Foul's Bane actually brought fantasy back into public consciousness, along with Sword of Shannara (which is merely bland derivative trash).
yeah donaldson was a great choice for this thread, the books are woeful but apparently they were a big deal back when they were first published (which i think was late 70s, early 80s?) and are one of the sff things that pretty much everyone i've spoken to over the age of 30 has read or is at least familiar with. obviously i am in australia which is a peri-apocalyptic hellscape populated by criminal slimes, but donaldson's always been held on the same tier as lotr and dune by the ageing nerds i talked to, which he does not deserve at all

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i have become highly attuned to that particular breathless overwrought prose ageing men slip into when they're writing something that makes them rock-hard irl. some try to hide it more than others but nobody can hide it completely

that's why i like ligotti, those unmistakeable passages where he gets just as excited as hamilton describing his genetically-engineered nymphets but instead of giggling sex athletes he is usually popping a boner about puppets and the void

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

pseudanonymous posted:

Please no I'd rather be an acorn dragon than live in the kind of magical hellscape a Mormon imagines the world to be then comes up with the kind of prosaic fantasy writing he does.
i'd rather be an acorn dragon than just about anything else tbh

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Karia posted:

I'm not sure if Sanderson has ever been aroused or excited in his life. The bigger question is whether he's awake.
the only time he tweaked my hornyometer was when he was going on about the women who won't show their left hands

there's one point where a little girl's magically trapped in a library and when she's freed and reunites with her father the only physical description whatesoever either of them gets is "she was too young to wear a modesty sleeve", which kind of made me uncomfortable

mormons

avshalemon fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 5, 2019

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

before every shitpost, i pause to consider the chain of historical atrocities that led me inexorably to this path i am on

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

poo poo! gently caress! Prick! rear end!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i'm a fat demon that feasts on fear

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

rear end of kings

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i don't know how to pronounce "borges". someone please tell me so i don't have to embarrass myself irl

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

are you lying to me

don't leave me exposed to the mockery of the latins

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i've never read borges but have just begun and am enchanted

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Antivehicular posted:

No reader is going to nod thoughtfully and think "yes, maggots, a creature best known for their silence."
especially not if they've had the pleasure of hearing a maggot-infested corpse. en masse, they are actually quite loud

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

it really baffles me that sanderson's writing is so bad when he does so much of it. like you think the sheer weight of all that practice would force him to develop some kind of spark or voice or poetic flair, but somehow the more he writes the more flat and mechanical it seems to become

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i like blackwood's terrible stuff better than his good stuff

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i have transcended beyond the concept of hope

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

sfffffff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avshalemon