Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
I'm a huge Stephenson stan but it's hard to imagine what book i could even recommend to a skeptic. Snow Crash can't decide if it's serious or a parody, Diamond Age is a meandering mess. Anathem is shot from the start because of the conlang, and the Baroque Trilogy is a million pages long. I think it might have to be Crytonomicon, whose weaknesses, while more than prevalent, are at least harder to pithily summarize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

my bony fealty posted:

A good opening sentence in a SF novel is "The bureaucrat fell from the sky."

seems like a satanic verses knockoff kinda

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
sanderson wrote an entire book on a single airplane trip once and all his fans see that as commendable rather than a sign they’re consuming utterly thoughtless tripe

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I remember someone made a movie version of Billy Budd that was just unapologetically gay as gently caress

I’m sorry but Billy Budd is not a homosexual book!

https://youtu.be/K52I_Liwjr0

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

Ccs posted:

or going on the writers cruise that Sanderson & co organize.

lmao are you serious?

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

sebmojo posted:

It's not that weird, there are a bunch of smaller cruise ships where people give talks as part of the ticket.

it's actually extremely weird hth

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
*godawful fantasy author charges $10k to get secluded with him on a floating norovirus barge* uhhh ever heard of Sea Org?? idiot?? it's actually very popular

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

chernobyl kinsman posted:

hieronymous doesnt come into this thread because he is a coward

all mods are cowards. especially the dweeb who thinks its cool to pay five figures to sail into international waters with a mormon robot only to be advised "just type more words faster"

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Look at how "objectively" evaluative this is. You have the three criteria of Characters, World, and Plot, given equal weight,

I have this theory that fantasy nerds evaluate writers like D&D characters where everyone has a fixed number of points that can be distributed between skills like that. Brandon Sanderson is not any worse than any other author, you see, he's just decided to pour his attribute points into World Building. Other writers may decide to instead focus on Prose, but they're equally valid choices and You Have To Respect That.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
criticizing this book seems like shooting sixty-foot-long limbless blue elephants in a barrel

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
The first woman looked like a merchant’s daughter but the second looked like a brewer’s daughter.

edit: why would a merchant’s daughter be tanned from long hours in the sun

Zoracle Zed fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 16, 2019

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

lofi posted:

What else would she be tanned from?

She wouldn’t be, is my point. Tanning is traditionally the marker of farm labor which a merchant class would be proud to avoid.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
my b

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
The article that quote is from is super anti-communist, lol.

quote:

His first wife broke with Communism around this time after visiting the Soviet Union and learning far too much about it; their divorce soon followed, and he married Helen Spurway, a young geneticist who shared his political delusions.

quote:

This led him to leave the Communist Party in 1950 and stop his endless blathering about dialectical materialism – although as late as 1962, he still thought of Stalin as “a very great man who did a very good job.” You know, like Tamerlane.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
The article's ideology is striking in the way it takes for granted that Haldane's communism must be a product of dogmatism and stubbornness, and presents it in ironic contrast to his scientific brilliance. It never considers for a second that he was acting as all intelligent, rational people must.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

I Before E posted:

Personally I prefer Excel World, wherein a mild mannered accountant finds himself in the world of his favorite spreadsheet and gets to meet all the integers

it's a pretty unbelievable fantasy world--someone wants excel to auto-convert an integer into a date

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

pikachode posted:

jokes have been made but nobody has yet had the courage to write an orthodox jewish vampire who refuses to drink blood after they've been turned and chooses a slow death by starvation

in I Am Legend, Neville's jewish neighbor / vampire is scared off not by crucifixes, but by the Torah. That book had attempted biological explanations for vampires too. (allergic reactions to garlic, etc.)

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
in I Am Legend, the main character Neville is a scientist, so it makes sense at least that he would attempt to ratiocinate the apocalyptic calamity that has befallen him. But does it serve the story to have him succeed in identifying the strain of bacteria that underlies vampirism? He ultimately fails to use this knowledge to stop the vampires anyway. Why not have him fail and leave the vampires inscrutable? All it does is give a misleading representation of science as the practice of the lone genius, rather than the product of collective labor. We see a similar sort of distortion in Blindsight, where the vampires are solitary, anti-social creatures, which we are told makes them a superior predator species -- totally disregarding all the social structure that made homo sapiens a dominant force on earth.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The crucifix glitch serves to highlight the fragility of the brain. It seems bizarre that vampires could have such a crippling disability, that there could be a loophole in neural functioning, but this is meant to reflect the same loopholes in the human brain, both real (like uh... blindsight) and speculative.

also saccadic suppression, or the retinal blindspot. the crucifix glitch also seems like a corollary to fictional devices like BLIT or the samizdat in infinite jest

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

Bilirubin posted:

it would actually take only a single Stephen J. Gould essay

Gould was a firm believer in the inspirational power of art and religion. Blindsight encourages instead the worst impulses of the evopsych dilettante -- that empathy and cooperation are artifacts of the untermensch that must be discarded to succeed against the cruelty of the universe.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

it sucks your work on The Ruin of Kings is getting drowned out by others on The Way of Kings, although it's kinda fitting i guess. (please keep posting about it)

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

Karia posted:

its glassy surface perfectly transparent

the redundancy in this stuff just seems engineered for skim reading

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Little demons, large demons, fat demons, demons of every shape, color, and description imaginable

I love how explicitly the author describes the limits of their imagination here: big, small, or fat.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

pseudanonymous posted:

I mean he could stop right? How much money is enough? I don't mind cynically exploiting people's love of awfulness up to a point but it seems like if that's the case then you'd turn around and write something good.

His entire career trajectory seems built around training himself to write as mechanistically and thoughtlessly as possible. Whether he’s doing that out of cynicism or because he thinks that’s how art actually works seems like an unanswerable question.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
Oh my god I had to read the footnotes for myself

quote:

When I returned, Teraeth and Juval were finishing their negotiations. Teraeth’s mother Khaemezra now stood by Teraeth’s side. Money changed hands, and one of the sailors showed us a tiny cabin filled with four bunk beds where we could sleep (in theory)* for the voyage.

*The beds on board an average Zheriaso-built slave ship can comfortably accommodate a person under 5'2" tall. By comparison, the average Quuros is 5'6" tall, the average Zheriaso is 5'8", and the average vané is 6'2" tall. So in answer to the question “Who could possibly find such accommodations comfortable?” the answer is “No one.” This only highlights the desire of Zheriaso slavers to squeeze every possible bit of space, even from their paying passengers.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

avshalemon posted:

especially not if they've had the pleasure of hearing a maggot-infested corpse. en masse, they are actually quite loud

I was also bewildered by that simile, but I couldn't decide if maggots were actually loud or I was just thinking of countless horror movies were they're paired with foley effects and violin screeches

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

terminal tor.com blog brain poisoning

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

loving lol if you know enough about « genre » to go « lol i will troll these nerds for 100000 posts a day »

« By reading and commenting upon every possible piece of genre fiction »

somethings wrong w ur quotation marks

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

Cardiac posted:

Botl brought nothing interesting to the book discussions and was in general boring. He didn’t bring any interesting insights but mostly disparaging insults.

As for saying his critics are thin skinned, he managed to get a mild mannered mod like HA to probe him on sight.

Making a thread about Rothuss and dissecting his work is one of those “why the gently caress do you do that”. Most people in TBB who read his work have dismissed it as thrash.

I would say fantasy in general are aware of the issues in the field, but Botl never seemed to grasp the fact that it is perfectly ok to read a book just as a way to pass the time.

Finally, if one thinks Mervyn Peake and Ghormengast is the height of literature, I don’t know what to say.
Good riddance.

what do you post about more, botl or warhammer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
pictured: a Brandon Sanderson fan reporting a botl post: