Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I like manned space flight.

I like robotic missions.

I like space colonies.

I like asteroid mining.

I like zero g research.

A few tiny fragments of that list are impractical wastes of money. The remainder is pure science fiction. Just like self driving cars, "artificial intelligence", fusion energy, and space elevators. Fantasies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There's a lot of fear mongering and handwringing over science fiction fantasies. Designer babies arent happening anytime soon. Neither are robots that steal peoples jobs. Its all silly crap that nerds obsess over but which arent real. Same with space travel.

I think the 21st century is going to be a lot more boring and mundane than people want to admit. Climate change will gently caress things up for sure, as will more inequality, wars and so on. But there isnt going to be any silly sci-fi poo poo like killer robots, clones, nanobots, whatever.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Isnt technological progress slowing down? Like in the first half of the 20th century,we got cars, airplanes, radio, x-rays, vaccines, nuclear bombs, television, all within half a century. 1950 looked way different from 1900. But in the second half of the 20th century, the world didnt change as much. 2000 was the same as 1950 except with newer models of the same things, plus personal desktop computers, cellphones, internet, and so on. These were big deals but they werent as big as the introduction of entirely new forms of transportation, infrastructure, and so on. Medicine changed a bit but not nearly as much as going from zero vaccines to vaccines, zero x-rays to x-rays, and so on.

Now since 2000 and not a lot has changed. We're coming up on 2020 and everything is the same except cellphones have more features and the internet has more crap on it. Oh, and video game graphics have gotten a bit better. That's about it. Back at the beginning of the century people thought that stem cells and personalized medicine would change everything. Where is it? Technology moves slow, guys. We're generations away from designer babies. We're generations away from robots that are any threat at all. We're centuries away from actual ai. Everybody calm down. The 21st century aint gonna be that cool.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Moore's law is ending, though. All of the computer progress that we have seen in the past few decades has been because of moore's law, which means that we can fit more transistors onto a computer chip and processing power has increased. But we've hit physical limits and we can't keep up the pace of improvement. Computers today are way more advanced then they were in the 80s or even the 90s. But i doubt computers in the 2040s will be much better than today. Our personal computers, tablets, cellphones, gadgets, videogames, and all other electronic computer technologies have probably become as good as there going to get. At least the rate of improvement is going to slow down. These techs in 2050 may be slightly better. Slightly.

Better batteries, better solar energy, fusion, selfdriving cars, robots, cyborg arms and hands, stem cells, its all science fiction at this point. We've heard about this stuff for decades and its still just something that MAY happen SOME time in the future but it never comes. :shrug:

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Why are you interested in technology? What does it matter if our devices get thinner or slightly longer battery life or slightly better screen resolution? Is this something that will really change people's lives? Is it important? Is it even interesting?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This cant go on forever, and magical quantum computers or nanotechnology isnt going to save it. We have definitely hit the limit of what computers can do. Dont expect much.

• Locked thread