Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
What ever happened to this, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq79h-HA5lU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h70l8Hhe5c8

I forget if it was supposed to reinvigorate the anroid hardware market or if everyone thought it would flop out of the gate. so much for android being platform agnostic

here's something else MIPS related if you want

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n0kWWqQ0D8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i dunno but i just ate a mint chocolate frozen greek yogurt sandwich

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

go on...

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

my bike helmet has MIPS

i don't like it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
mips was a good architectural concept but some of the fundamental assumptions that it was based on are no longer true.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
whats the point

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

mips was a good architectural concept but some of the fundamental assumptions that it was based on are no longer true.

would love to hear this elaborated on

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

pram posted:

whats the point

well, mips derivatives were used in the playstation, ps2 and nintendo 64, so, video games

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i'm running android on my n64

pram
Jun 10, 2001
anrouide

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
here's some mips for you

https://youtu.be/nUevMxh5od0

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

echinopsis posted:

would love to hear this elaborated on

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
MIcroPeniS

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

drat androids are bulky and loud

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Hed posted:

MIcroPeniS

lol

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

drat why did i risc logging back in today

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
hello

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

hi

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yo

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Tom Collins posted:

were you strongARMed?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Tom Collins posted:

wow, tarm collins still visits SA? noice

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
why wouldn't you want the power of SGI, PS1 & PS2, and N64 in your anroid?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I'm looking forward to the 20 year retro

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Doc Block posted:

why wouldn't you want the power of SGI, PS1 & PS2, and N64 in your anroid?

sounds like a good deal!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Management posted:

still want to hear more about this

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
a big part of what made RISC in general come about in the 80s was that RAM was really fast relative to the CPU. so the idea with RISC was that you have a CPU that only has a small, simple ISA with no complex addressing and no microcode, so the CPU is simpler but has to execute more instructions (thus larger code size) to accomplish the same task. the idea being that being simpler meant you could make it faster, the bigger code size and generally having to touch memory more often wouldn’t matter because memory was so fast, and having to execute more instructions wouldn’t matter because each instruction would take less work, giving a net speed increase.

memory is waaaay slower than the CPU now. and memory being way slower than the CPU was what gave rise to CISC in the first place, back before RISC was a thing.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 13, 2017

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cool that's interesting i like

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Doc Block posted:

a big part of what made RISC in general come about in the 80s was that RAM was really fast relative to the CPU. so the idea with RISC was that you have a CPU that only has a small, simple ISA with no complex addressing and no microcode, so the CPU is simpler but has to execute more instructions (thus larger code size) to accomplish the same task. the idea being that being simpler meant you could make it faster, the bigger code size and generally having to touch memory more often wouldn’t matter because memory was so fast, and having to execute more instructions wouldn’t matter because each instruction would take less work, giving a net speed increase.

memory is waaaay slower than the CPU now. and memory being way slower than the CPU was what gave rise to CISC in the first place, back before RISC was a thing.

neat post ty

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
except RAM wasn't very fast relative to the CPU even by the mid-late 1980s

while (say) an 8MHz 68000 gave you 125ns bus cycles, workstation class hardware was going to 25MHz with a corresponding 40ns cycle time by 1987-88, hence the substantial growth of L2 and then L1 cache

hell, my circa 1989 Mac IIci had a slot for a cache RAM card, I had the Apple one that added 32KB of 35ns cache and made a visible difference, and Micron made up to a 128KB cache card

RISC was proposed as a win because instead of complex operations each taking multiple cycles, you could do simple operations at an average of one per cycle (given good instruction pipelining and branch prediction, and compiler assistance with that) and wind up with higher throughput, especially by isolating external memory access (even cache) from other processing

it actually was a win in that way too, it certainly beat the CISC designs of the day through the early 2000s, many people just didn't foresee Intel (and AMD) being able to keep up by implementing dynamic instruction translation in hardware like they wound up doing

of course once they got the low hanging fruit, the RISC designs started adding more complicated instructions that were harder to implement and make faster with chip generations, to the point where PowerPC was mocked at its introduction for having more instructions than the “CISC” 6502, which culminated with everyone adding Cray-style vector instructions

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

one thing I want to see is the relative performance of something like the BYTE UNIX benchmark on a wicked awesome late 1990s SGI workstation and a little embedded Linux based router or something with a MIPS SoC

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
i bow to your superior knowledge. i thought the "RAM as fast as the CPU" thing stayed true up until the late-ish 80s.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I think the real question here is, why is ram so slow

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
when the ram is slow <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
can't wait for DDR-X

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Also, ARM is a RISC and (32 bit) ARM also has 80s assumptions baked into it (like making the program counter just a regular register - yes, you can technically execute a jump by mov pc, <some reg>)

MIPS didn't lose out in the embedded space because it sucks; it's more like how Google Plus didn't pan out because Facebook already ate their lunch. ARM is already absolutely everywhere and everyone knows how to work with it and loads of people make products for it, so what's MIPS got that ARM doesn't, other than being able to cheap out on licence fees (which is nice, yes, but not nice enough to counteract all the other stuff). Everyone else uses ARM, so why wouldn't you? (this is also, btw, why Android on x86 never really took off)

Imagination pushed MIPS because they desperately wanted there to be an alternative to ARM that they controlled and because if they managed that they wouldn't be reliant on selling PowerVR to Apple for revenue and now welp Apple's making its own GPU and they're going to be broke now and they're trying to flog off their MIPS business.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 13, 2017

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

echinopsis posted:

can't wait for DDR-X

rambus :911:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
optane

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Clicked thinking thread was called "I'm going to enjoy my ice cream sandwich, with MPLS!"

:(

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

now optane is something I can get into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Schadenboner posted:

Clicked thinking thread was called "I'm going to enjoy my ice cream sandwich, with MPLS!"

:(

it's a good city

• Locked thread