Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Illinois defense showed up bigly , quite nice. but they need to start Jeff George jr instead of sticking with crouch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Maryland destroyed a lovely team like a real football program, which is something we've literally never done. Hill looks really good for a true freshman QB and our run game might be even better than last year.

Cautiously optimistic about this season, but we're still probably going to get loving mauled once the Big10 schedule starts.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
It's going to be extra painful when Bert manages to lose to this Aggie team.

As we go on into year five of the Bret Bielema Experience

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

tactlessbastard posted:

It's going to be extra painful when Bert manages to lose to this Aggie team.

As we go on into year five of the Bret Bielema Experience

We were briefly discussing this in the GDT yesterday. How easy or hard is it for you to fire Bert, and how hot is his seat assuming he manages to get to another 6 or 7 win bowl game?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Grittybeard posted:

We were briefly discussing this in the GDT yesterday. How easy or hard is it for you to fire Bert, and how hot is his seat assuming he manages to get to another 6 or 7 win bowl game?

Bert's got a pretty substantial buy-out PLUS then they'd have to find a good coach for less money.

Sumlin's buyout is even more ridiculous; it has to be paid out within something like 60-90 days.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

This storm ain't no joke.

Parts of miami already have some minor flooding.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

mastershakeman posted:

Illinois defense showed up bigly , quite nice. but they need to start Jeff George jr instead of sticking with crouch
And one of our best defenders so far is a 17 year old true freshman who was committed to Elon and who was being told by FCS schools that he would need to redshirt there until we offered him days before signing day. I don't even understand how that happens.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

To be fair, I can't imagine anyone NOT being triggered by being asked "hey, you know how you just lost? This reminds me of that other time you lost. Do you agree with that? Can you compare and contrast the time you lost just now with that other time you lost? Which loss hurt more?"

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Rutgers game had the funniest ending of the entire day. They were driving down the field to take the lead and threw what should've been a pick-six, but the defender got tackled at like the 5-yard-line. Then Eastern hosed up and went backward before getting a kick blocked. Rutgers got in field goal range but then committed an illegal hands to the face to knock them out of it, and then the QB got sacked trying to throw the ball away and time expired.

Still not as good as the fourth down spike against MSU two years ago but it was great.

Fourth down spikes aren't always a bad idea. Colorado won a game using a 4th down spike on our game winning drive back in the day on our way to a national championship :colbert:

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

Manoueverable posted:

I'm so glad Ohio State lost, just go the gently caress away already nobody likes you and you're always there every goddamn year :mad:

This is how I feel about Oregon. God drat I hate Oregon

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.

DrunkPanda posted:

To be fair, I can't imagine anyone NOT being triggered by being asked "hey, you know how you just lost? This reminds me of that other time you lost. Do you agree with that? Can you compare and contrast the time you lost just now with that other time you lost? Which loss hurt more?"

It was surely a dumb question, but being a condescending rear end in response is worse.

Edit: it reminds me of how Kiffin would get with reporters, like the time he just walked out on them for asking a question he didn't like.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Thoughts

- Oklahoma looks loving scary, I have to imagine they're the runaway favorite to win the Big 12 and make the playoff.
- Clemson is going to return to the playoff for the third year in the row.
- USC is real good. Stanford honestly looks pretty good too, but USC? Easily the class of the Pac-12.
- I think the Big Ten might miss the playoff; Penn State/Michigan/Ohio State are gonna lose at least 1-2 games, even if against each other. Wisconsin is gonna be real good but I doubt they win the Big Ten Championship.
- wake me up when Alabama isn't the best team in the country, thanks

- Arizona, man, that offense was dire. I feel RichRod isn't long for the world, but I wouldn't know who they'd get to replace him. Chris Creighton? Sometimes it's best to not make a change, but I think RichRod should really give Rhett a shot, can't be any worse (nobody will think it's favoritism, either, especially with how awful the offense was.
- Houston! Go Coogs.
- Nebraska fought pretty hard, and I think they'll scare some people, but will it be good enough for Nebraska? Probably not, so Scott Frost, come on down!

- :laffo: Arizona State, we all float down here
- :laffo: Rutgers I am gonna be real happy seeing the sad Rutgers fan

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Can't wait to see Oklahoma lose to Clemson in the playoffs again

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

DrunkPanda posted:

This is how I feel about Oregon. God drat I hate Oregon

I mean since I'm a Washington fan the vitriol against Oregon is implied. I'm legit nervous about playing them this year although dropping 10 TDs on them last year was just so good.

Also goddamn Wazzu reverse-Coug'd it??

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

hifi posted:

thats gotta be about it for todd graham

FreakyMetalKid posted:

Yes, please. Offense was poo poo. Defense was poo poo. Special teams was poo poo. Clock management was poo poo. It was embarrassing in all phases of the game down to the corner of the stadium full of Aztecs out cheering the rest of the mostly empty, but thoroughly sad Sun Devil Stadium. The schedule gets much more difficult from here (excepting maybe the cripple fight with Arizona at the end). ASU isn't going to see another win for a long time.

Tech's gonna shoot for 70+ next weekend. Might finish Graham off.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Thoughts

- Oklahoma looks loving scary, I have to imagine they're the runaway favorite to win the Big 12 and make the playoff.

I think the Big 12 race has a chance after a few down years to be one of the more interesting ones in the nation. OU/OSU/KSU/WVU are all looking pretty good, although WVU has already dropped a game. I think you're right that the conference is finally good enough to get in if anyone runs the table, and OU easily has the best early statement.

gently caress the Big 12 for moving bedlam off of thanksgiving though.

e: oops I guess OU already made it a couple of years ago, I'd forgotten.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 10, 2017

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Bout them Dawgs. Defense was a monster. Offense was...hey, who wants to talk more about the defense. Might've been the best I've seen Zo Carter play in Athens.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it turns out losing the best linebacker and best receiver in school history is bad

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Grittybeard posted:

I think the Big 12 race has a chance after a few down years to be one of the more interesting ones in the nation. OU/OSU/KSU/WVU are all looking pretty good, although WVU has already dropped a game.

gently caress the Big 12 for moving bedlam off of thanksgiving though.

Why are you already writing off TCU and Texas Tech?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spacebump posted:

Why are you already writing off TCU and Texas Tech?

TCU's ranked and had a nice win but is Tech actually expected to be any good? I just figured they'll score a lot of points and give up a lot more.

As per normal Big 12 rules the only teams I truly write off are Kansas and Iowa State.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

TCU's ranked and had a nice win but is Tech actually expected to be any good? I just figured they'll score a lot of points and give up a lot more.

As per normal Big 12 rules the only teams I truly write off are Kansas and Iowa State.

I do feel that Rutgers losing to Eastern Michigan overshadowed Kansas getting their asses beat by Central Michigan.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

quote:

Also Fitz should ditch the shorts look, which makes him and the whole coaching staff, and the team look soft. The opponents coaches have worn long pants the past 2 weeks. I have watched several SEC games and all the coaches are in long pants. Toughen up Fitz.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bowling Green is terrible again. gently caress Dino Babers for clearly never recruiting and man I am having a harder and harder time seeing how Jinks survives the season.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DJExile posted:

Bowling Green is terrible again. gently caress Dino Babers for clearly never recruiting and man I am having a harder and harder time seeing how Jinks survives the season.

good news, you will beat a big ten team next week

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Willie Taggart found out what happens when you take your goddamn foot off the gas without losing, so I guess that's a plus.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

This is up there with Glen Mason wearing a tie because the best coaches of the day wore ties.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Tad SG posted:

We'll, at least UW won't have to play USC outside of a potential p12 championship match up.

So the Beavs are easily the bottom team in the conference right now. Who is #2? I'd say one of the desert schools- probably ASU.

Seems fair. When I saw the Oregon State score, I checked the schedule to confirm that we'll play them this year. ASU will end the season with Oregon State and Arizona, giving them a chance of getting wins 2 and 3 for the season. That's the most optimistic record I can imagine right now.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

The rest of the country doesn't seem to get this but the South really hates shorts

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Columbus Trip Report!

We stayed at 2nd and High St., literally never left High St. except for the AirBNB and campus. Ate at Hubbard Grill on Friday night as it was the only place that didn't have a 90-minute wait time; was alright, had some good beers and a decent sandwich while watching the Oklahoma State-South Alabama snoozefest.

Saturday we got up and went to the beginning of Game Day, then walked over to the Jack Nicklaus Museum which was pretty tight (considering I don't give a flying gently caress about golf, but dad sure does), made it back to Game Day for picks. Moseyed back down High to Pies and Pints and had a drat good pizza while watching Iowa St. piss the CyHawk game away. Went home for a short nap, then headed back out to High St. Spent what felt like forever looking for a Goddamn Yuengling (I know they're poo poo, but they don't have them in Oklahoma, forbidden fruit/when in Rome etc.) Finally found one at a place called The Big Bar right across from the Union. Bar sucked and was full of lovely people, but I got my lovely beer so hey, whatever.

Walked over to the game, and sat surrounded by Ohio State fans that toed the line of obnoxious-but-not-so-bad-as-for-me-to-be-a-dick-back--though dad definitely was. They were cocky as gently caress before the game, but after the first quarter the stadium got super tense and quiet. Got loud again with the first Ohio State touchdown in the 3rd quarter, but after we responded and took control everyone around us shut the gently caress up. Fortunately most of the people near us were fairly gracious in defeat, we got several congrats/good games/safe travels/etc.

After the game High St. was a colossal clusterfuck. Friday night and during the day Saturday I really liked it, but holy poo poo it was messy and full of loving awful college kids Saturday night. I remember being an awful-ish college kid myself, but these people were on another level. Was loving relieved when we got back to our place.

Of course I'm glad we won, but it was a really cool trip aside from that. Got to be in the 'Shoe, see script Ohio, see the Campus, experience Columbus even for a little bit. Oh yeah, and get video of Baker planting our flag on the block O.

Boomer fuckin' Sooner.

Thanks to sportsgenius86 and others who contributed tips!

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 11, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

good news, you will beat a big ten team next week

Lmao no

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Eifert Posting posted:

The rest of the country doesn't seem to get this but the South really hates shorts

Weird. I've lived in the South for all my 34 years and everybody wears shorts because it's a billion goddamned degrees.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Sash! posted:

This is up there with Glen Mason wearing a tie because the best coaches of the day wore ties.

It didn't work for Al Golden, either.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gvibes posted:

And one of our best defenders so far is a 17 year old true freshman who was committed to Elon and who was being told by FCS schools that he would need to redshirt there until we offered him days before signing day. I don't even understand how that happens.

who's that? I've only seen a few minutes of actual gameplay

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

D.N. Nation posted:

Offense was...hey, who wants to talk more about the defense.

wolverine meme except the picture in the frame is of mike bobo

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LeeMajors posted:

Weird. I've lived in the South for all my 34 years and everybody wears shorts because it's a billion goddamned degrees.

He said shorts, not jorts.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

D.N. Nation posted:

Bout them Dawgs. Defense was a monster. Offense was...hey, who wants to talk more about the defense. Might've been the best I've seen Zo Carter play in Athens.

Yeah, your defense looked great. We won't be able to scrape anything against y'all.

The other big takeaway from me was how much better ND's defense was. They did a pretty good job bottling up Michel and Chubb - much better than I expected.

Randaconda posted:

He said shorts, not jorts.

:eng99:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
BEAT AN UNRANKED TEAM!!!!

https://twitter.com/DarnayTripp/sta...ise-state-video

Unironically me: :black101:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

HannibalBarca posted:

wolverine meme except the picture in the frame is of mike bobo

The one playcall that everyone's making GBS threads on Chaney over (the quick FB handoff on 3rd and 2 with a couple minutes left) was vintage Bobo, admittedly. I've always thought that play was clever. But: you've got Chubb and Michel (and Swift) and you'e giving it to Christian Payne with the game in the balance, ehhhhh

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Eifert Posting posted:

Um what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

northwestern is garbage, they ran for literally like 1 yard

• Locked thread