Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Rad Valtar posted:

His response was no and no. Its a little early to make a snap judgement like that I think. If the offense is still this bad in a few weeks then yes I would think about it.

Can we really learn anything from him putting up big stats against lovely teams? They are probably not going to be seriously challenged until Penn State.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Komet posted:

Well, OSU has at least three, but maybe five bad teams in a row to sort things out.

They lost to Virginia Tech and then won the National Championship. Nothing is over. :shrug:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

all-Rush mixtape posted:

AP Top 25

Coaches Poll

asu's next team that doesn't have ap poll votes is oregon state and then arizona and then the season's over. this year is gonna be rough

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Dirk Pitt posted:

Does The Mont not have them anymore? Cool report by the way. My wife and I circled this game as one to attend back when it was announced, but couldn’t attend since we moved to Stockholm. I’m pretty jealous tbh.

Did the Mont ever had them? If they did, that's news to me. I was under the impression they weren't distributed at all in Oklahoma. Hell, my Columbus-native father-in-law (who's lived in OK for 17 years now) is under that impression, and he loves the stuff. I figure he'd know if it was here.

Glad you liked the report. It really was a cool trip. Kicking the poo poo out of tOSU and hearing the people near us shut the gently caress up was just icing on the cake.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

I think Lock is fine? He's not a worldbeater like we hoped he'd be and he makes some stupid throws but he's ok.

His stat line tonight would have looked a lot better if someone didn't replace all the receiver's hands with minecraft blocks.
Eh.

He has no consistency, he doesn't look like a leader on Offense and still struggles even with lots of short passes and one reads from Josh. His play is 4 quarters of completely erratic passing, without much improvement from his rookie season.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

LLCoolJD posted:

They lost to Virginia Tech and then won the National Championship. Nothing is over. :shrug:

JT Barrett's career is

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

LiquidFriend posted:

Eh.

He has no consistency, he doesn't look like a leader on Offense and still struggles even with lots of short passes and one reads from Josh. His play is 4 quarters of completely erratic passing, without much improvement from his rookie season.

The receivers also seem to disappear against real competition

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I didn't see it posted but Nick styled on some reporters again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGfqTXLiXKU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I'm surprised Oregon's not rated.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Dango Bango posted:

I'm surprised Oregon's not rated.

Same, but Ilini

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

E: and this was probably a beautiful sight for UGA going into the 4th:
https://twitter.com/abbyjessen/status/906709065845407744

what is happening here

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

what is happening here

It's called Krypton. Georgia plays that at the start of every fourth quarter at home, and the fans turn on their phone lights (if it's a night game), hold four hands up and bring them down along with the music.

Probably a better angle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfKyaG4JO84

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

It's called Krypton. Georgia plays that at the start of every fourth quarter at home, and the fans turn on their phone lights (if it's a night game), hold four hands up and bring them down along with the music.

Probably a better angle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfKyaG4JO84

What kind of mutants do they have in Athens?

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

TipTow posted:

Did the Mont ever had them? If they did, that's news to me. I was under the impression they weren't distributed at all in Oklahoma. Hell, my Columbus-native father-in-law (who's lived in OK for 17 years now) is under that impression, and he loves the stuff. I figure he'd know if it was here.

Glad you liked the report. It really was a cool trip. Kicking the poo poo out of tOSU and hearing the people near us shut the gently caress up was just icing on the cake.

This is correct; Yeungling has never distributed in Oklahoma.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Thoughts

- Oklahoma looks loving scary, I have to imagine they're the runaway favorite to win the Big 12 and make the playoff.
- Clemson is going to return to the playoff for the third year in the row.
- USC is real good. Stanford honestly looks pretty good too, but USC? Easily the class of the Pac-12.
- I think the Big Ten might miss the playoff; Penn State/Michigan/Ohio State are gonna lose at least 1-2 games, even if against each other. Wisconsin is gonna be real good but I doubt they win the Big Ten Championship.
- wake me up when Alabama isn't the best team in the country, thanks

- Arizona, man, that offense was dire. I feel RichRod isn't long for the world, but I wouldn't know who they'd get to replace him. Chris Creighton? Sometimes it's best to not make a change, but I think RichRod should really give Rhett a shot, can't be any worse (nobody will think it's favoritism, either, especially with how awful the offense was.
- Houston! Go Coogs.
- Nebraska fought pretty hard, and I think they'll scare some people, but will it be good enough for Nebraska? Probably not, so Scott Frost, come on down!

- :laffo: Arizona State, we all float down here
- :laffo: Rutgers I am gonna be real happy seeing the sad Rutgers fan

When the stories start coming out about low fan turnouts that's usually the end of a coach in Arizona, and that was the story today.

I don't really know if Arizona can attract a coach who can win here; I think the problems with the program are systemic. I feel like Greg Byrne could've eventually fixed them but like obviously he had to take that job when it came on the table and the new AD seems to be kind of a chucklefuck (although he at least seems to know to give Sean Miller carte blanche) so I'm not really hopeful.

Rick fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Sep 11, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The Gators didn't look too bad this weekend.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Stay safe on the roads FL goons

https://twitter.com/ALostrich/status/907074200841670656

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Rick posted:

When the stories start coming out about low fan turnouts that's usually the end of a coach in Arizona, and that was the story today.

I don't really know if Arizona can attract a coach who can win here; I think the problems with the program are systemic. I feel like Greg Byrne could've eventually fixed them but like obviously he had to take that job when it came on the table and the new AD seems to be kind of a chucklefuck (although he at least seems to know to give Sean Miller carte blanche) so I'm not really hopeful.
If they fire RichRod (I'm still not convinced they should, even if the season ends up bad, but I'm realistic about what's going to happen), they need to bring in a proven program builder and give him a very long leash.

I'm also pretty sure giving Sean Miller carte blanche was a precondition to his being hired; if Sean doesn't like the guy he's loving gone, etc.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Death to Akron IMHO.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

LLCoolJD posted:

I always assumed he was hired to produce what is produced at Wisconsin. Namely, remarkably consistent and successful teams, although not super-great teams. Sorry Georgia fans, but I was really thinking of the "Georgia of the SEC West" kind of results.

I'd be delighted with Georgia of the West. I'm back at work this morning and the opinion I keep hearing is fire him and fire Jeff Long for giving him that stupid contract.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

what is happening here

Point is that there were a lot of phones and a few of the players and Coach Smart said that they really felt it was like a home game and never felt the overwhelming pressure that you do when an opposing crowd in a sold out venue for a road game.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What happened to Arizona? Made the Fiesta Bowl RichRod's first year then everything fell apart.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
I once found myself at Soldier Field to watch Notre Dame and Ron "5 HEISMANS" Paulus take on Northwestern.

Notre Dame fans are boring & rather subdued.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
As a WVU fan watching RichRod struggle still provides endless schadenfreude.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Mizzou Fired DC DeMontie Cross

https://twitter.com/Dave_Matter/status/907005914850512896

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Why is Washington ranked so high :lol:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
our only hope against USC is that Chris Warren III transforms into an unstoppable juggernaut

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The kid Jim Leavitt chokeslammed from USF died

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/joel-miller-usf-player-at-center-of-jim-leavitt-dismissal-dies/2337011

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
oh yeah gently caress baylor lolol

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

This is really weird timing to me, especially since they weren't THAT bad against us. Allowing 43 to Missouri State was way worse.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

What?! link dead

Nm it's working now.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Arizona is bad but I thought they played OK other than their horrific QBs.

I think Houston might be bad too other than Ed Oliver. That offense was just as bad as Arizona's.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

What?! link dead

Works fine for me?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Rad Valtar posted:

His response was no and no. Its a little early to make a snap judgement like that I think. If the offense is still this bad in a few weeks then yes I would think about it.

It will be as bad but it won't look as bad because the teams are trash. And then we'll play Penn State and the same thing will happen again because at this point I think it's an Urban problem and not an OC problem. The offense looks exactly the same down to the "run down the field with RB, stall in redzone with three JT Barrett runs" bullshit. And considering nothing about that screams Kevin Wilson to me, I doubt it's his problem. Good teams load the box and we continue to run that dumb obvious screen poo poo because Percy Harvin was really good in college once and we get nowhere with it.

Meyer has a big boner for JT Barrett because he remembered more poo poo from a John Maxwell seminar than the other guys or whatever. I don't doubt that Haskins or Burrow would likely make more mistakes than Barrett, but that's a moot point if Barrett can't actually do anything positive any more. Barrett's best asset was always his legs and he's seemed slower to me since the injury, which doesn't help matters.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 11, 2017

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Rad Valtar posted:

Urban always waits about 2-3 games before he's willing to do something that drastic. Remember how he handled Cardale after all. Plus, Burrow was considered slightly ahead of Haskins on the chart and is still rehabbing his hand a little longer, meaning Barrett likely has a couple games of slack at least for now.

General thoughts on the game:

OU's offense should absolutely terrify everyone at this point. Their TE/FB types are faster than they should be, and their receivers are deep enough to rotate like Clemson has the last few years to stay fresh late into games. Their running wasn't amazing, but Sermon looks like the real deal and Adams will break away on a lot of less talented defenses.

The playcalls on passing weren't as bad as you would think from Barrett's statline. The issue remains his complete lack of velocity to zip a ball and his amazing ability to hold the ball and pat it longer than loving Tebow. If he gets any zip on the ball at all, he completes at least 5-7 more of those passes from defenders not having time to close. The receivers were open, they just couldn't stay open indefinitely. The rollout/sprintout passing plays need to loving go though. If they don't immediately develop, they're impossible to improvise from a blocking standpoint.

I wouldn't even mind the passing ineptitude if the running game made any sense. I'm fairly confident Barrett is a 4.8-4.9 type guy in terms of mobility, and he literally refuses to ever take hits, so running on a QB power game is completely insane when he's diving on the ground every single time someone gets near him and not fast enough to break anything or threaten enough to open the passing game. We have two guys who will probably at least get drafted some day at RB, and we gave the two of them combined fewer touches than Barrett. I get that it's like Urban's version of Tresselball/ball control but jesus christ if you're going to run that poo poo just go wildcat or put like loving Martell in to take the hits/get the option yards.

I honestly can't be too mad at the pass defenders themselves. They've lost like everyone every year for 3-4 years and are finally at a point where there's just too much youth to overcome that. However, this is Ohio State. The big realization that Urban had after his first Clemson loss was that soft zone coverage doesn't just put OSU at a disadvantage against spread teams, it's the most inefficient defense possible when your biggest advantage is having fast, nimble corners who are generally bigger. Those guys should be in man with safety help as needed rather than playing soft cover 3 and preventing them from using their speed in favor of having to read the quarterback's eyes and flow to plays. This is why Fickell lost playcalling when Chris Ash came in. Now, apparently, Greg Schiano is bringing back soft zone and aggressive blitzing that leaves the middle open (AGAINST AN AIR RAID TEAM WHOSE JOB IS TO EXPLOIT THAT). This is all schematic.

The pass rush remains dirty as hell and faced a hell of a challenge with that O-line.

Linebackers looked lost as hell from the amount of blitzing and gap shooting they were asked to do. We stopped the run, but at what cost.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

sportsgenius86 posted:

It will be as bad but it won't look as bad because the teams are trash. And then we'll play Penn State and the same thing will happen again because at this point I think it's an Urban problem and not an OC problem. The offense looks exactly the same down to the "run down the field with RB, stall in redzone with three JT Barrett runs" bullshit. And considering nothing about that screams Kevin Wilson to me, I doubt it's his problem. Good teams load the box and we continue to run that dumb obvious screen poo poo because Percy Harvin was really good in college once and we get nowhere with it.

Meyer has a big boner for JT Barrett because he remembered more poo poo from a John Maxwell seminar than the other guys or whatever. I don't doubt that Haskins or Burrow would likely make more mistakes than Barrett, but that's a moot point if Barrett can't actually do anything positive any more. Barrett's best asset was always his legs and he's seemed slower to me since the injury, which doesn't help matters.

Double posting because this is accurate for the most part. Penn State will probably score a million on us, but their defense isn't scary enough up front to do what OU just did. I'm not sure calling it an Urban problem is wholly accurate either, because it may be Urban's bonehead tendencies, but there's a caveat there. This offense worked great when Barrett was a 4.5-4.6 guy pre-ankle exploding when people respected him as a legitimate running threat. Now, every option in the world defense the pitch/handoff and says "just try and beat us" to him, because he can't do poo poo with it. That's collapsed his passing ability too because he doesn't have a goddamn 10 yard window to hit from defenses sweating the option and being able to be beat deep/at the boundary. The problem is Urban changing his system to an extent, but it's also the fact that JT doesn't create enough of a threat in any area to create the space that the system normally relies on.

Burrow is probably the best fit for running the offense we've shown so far, since he's faster than JT and has a bigger arm. Haskins would be fantastic at running a more vertical or passing-oriented threat since he can guaranteed hit some of the windows that have shown so far. Hell, maybe Tate can take the job next year after he's been in for a year. They just need a guy who's physically capable of playing the game at this point.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

RumbleFish posted:

This is really weird timing to me, especially since they weren't THAT bad against us. Allowing 43 to Missouri State was way worse.

Yeah the timing is all sorts of weird and it looks like a panic move or they're trying to specifically scapegoat him in a game where the offense didn't really do poo poo outside of a couple of big plays and one drive full of Demarea Crockett.

Having said that he's been a disaster since he got here so I'm glad he's gone, I was super surprised he wasn't quietly let go in the off season. He lost his playcalling duties and his philosophical control of the defense (he was big into gap control for the DL instead of attacking like Mizzou had been doing for years) halfway through last season, so why keep him around exactly?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

LLCoolJD posted:

I always assumed he was hired to produce what is produced at Wisconsin. Namely, remarkably consistent and successful teams, although not super-great teams. Sorry Georgia fans, but I was really thinking of the "Georgia of the SEC West" kind of results.

'10 Wisconsin finished the regular season with 1 loss and smoked #1 Ohio State. '11 Wisconsin was two Hail Marys away from being undefeated in the regular season...and at that point, I'm guessing the BCS takes them to face LSU over 1-loss, non-division-champ Bama or 1-loss Okie State. BERT's best years in Madison were kinda lowkey awesome.

The SEC West is tough, but it's not like they're playing Bama every week. They're losing to Toledo, blowing leads against Mizzou, real keystone koppery. It's weird. If we're doing the UGA comparison, he was able to offer 2012 UGA results at Wisconsin but has been 2009-2010 UGA mostly at Arkansas.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Haha, I got a facebook notification today that it's Kelly Lee Adams birthday. RIP Gendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

D.N. Nation posted:

'10 Wisconsin finished the regular season with 1 loss and smoked #1 Ohio State. '11 Wisconsin was two Hail Marys away from being undefeated in the regular season...and at that point, I'm guessing the BCS takes them to face LSU over 1-loss, non-division-champ Bama or 1-loss Okie State. BERT's best years in Madison were kinda lowkey awesome.

The SEC West is tough, but it's not like they're playing Bama every week. They're losing to Toledo, blowing leads against Mizzou, real keystone koppery. It's weird. If we're doing the UGA comparison, he was able to offer 2012 UGA results at Wisconsin but has been 2009-2010 UGA mostly at Arkansas.

I wasn't meaning to say that UGA-success would be bad for Arkansas. The opposite, actually. I just said "sorry" because my comment was a reminder that UGA never wins the title despite oodles of talent and a strong fanbase/big stadium.

Bielema is definitely underperforming, but there's such a strong annual competition for coaching talent I don't know who they could get who wouldn't choose a Texas A&M, Florida, etc. instead of Arkansas. I guess they will have to pay a king's ransom for a mercenary like Bobby Petrino once the time comes to part ways with Bielema.

• Locked thread